Personal experiencies with Argentinians, Buenos Aires

Know about this?

Adalina at the cementary with her rosary
    by Gypsystravels
  • Adalina at Jardin Botanico with a little flower
    Adalina at Jardin Botanico with a little...
    by Gypsystravels
    Celebrating Mother's Day at my grandma's
    by sabrina_florida
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Lots of kissing

by Dabs Updated Apr 7, 2006

Watch how the locals greet one another, there's a whole lot of kissing going on! Men greet women with a kiss on each cheek and men greet men with just a kiss on one cheek. I didn't get kissed during our 4 day visit, what was I doing wrong? ;-)

But I did get an air kiss, we were sitting in the Plaza del Mayo, assessing our options and resting our weary feet and I was watching the traffic go by. I locked eyes with a guy on a bus (he looked a lot like actor Cillian Murphy, my what a pretty face!) and he blew me a kiss! Warmed my middle aged heart, oh yes, it did!!!!

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Our favorite personal experience with Adalina

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 9, 2009

Adalina at the cementary with her rosary

First, let me say that we meet Adalina twice. Once in Cementerio de la Recoleta and the other time at the Jardin Botanico.

We were walking around the cementary when Ferni and I said we wondered if people come to visit their loved ones at the cementary since almost everyone we saw were tourist. At that moment, we turn down one of the sections of the cementary and we see this older women (she is 82) just sitting in front of a mausoleum with flowers and a rosary, getting ready to pray. We stop to say hello and asked her who she was there to visit. She was so happy to talk to us, she told us that her husband was interred there, but that it wasn't a family mausoleum. Her husband was the driver of the daughter of the doctor who's family the mausoleum belonged to and they allowed her husband to be interred there as he was a very loyal employee.

We continued to listen to her as she told us she was a child of Italian immigrants and that she had lived in Buenos Aires for over 70 years. She told us about her family and her children and how she missed her husband. She lived alone because her children lived out side of Buenos Aires and then she said, would you like to take a picture of me?

I really wasn't going to, but she asked, so she got herself ready and even posed for me. We said our goodbyes and continued exploring the cementary.

The following day we were in Jardin Botanico when we see her sitting at a bench, just sitting there. We approached her and said hello, she was so happy to see us again. We sat at the bench next to her and talked to her for about an hour. She told us more stories about her family and how she arrived in Buenos Aires. She again told us she was lonely, but thankful for so much. She then again asked if we wanted another picture of her. She was so sweet and I wanted to just spend more time with her, but she said that she needed to make her way back home.

We said our goodbyes but I will remember that women's kind heart, that face and the fact that she was so friendly and open to two strangers who happen to stop to talk to her.

• sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

Family gatherings

by sabrina_florida Updated Feb 21, 2007

Celebrating Mother's Day at my grandma's

Most families get together to celebrate either Christmas, New Year, Easter or as in this picture: Mother's Day. This includes aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and so on. You typically get 15 to 20 people in these meetings. I guess we have inherited this custom from our Italian ancestors. Every family is in charge of taking something to eat or drink.

RAFAEL MUSEUM - FOREVER YOUNG IN MARTINEZ

by RafaelTheSecond Written Oct 13, 2005

My argentinean family!:) in Martinez

The Sunday meetings in Martinez is a very old tradition, and this is a prrof that long time ago I used to go to Mariano's Father House for the best barbecue in the world!;) Nothing has changed, the backyard is the same and the great love fo this family remains untouchable!

And I still love all of you! :)

From left to right..the craziest Laura, Mariano, Andrei, Agustin, Rafa and Gustavo

MY GOODNESS...10 YEARS AGO!!!

• orangetree28's Profile Photo

Who is El Turco??Do they have special tricks??

by orangetree28 Updated Jan 2, 2007

In the 19th cc, many Arabs, Armenians, Kurts, Hebrews, Turks had immigrated to Latin America. El Turco is a name for referring to Ottoman Empire. So A turco may not be Turkish, even may dislike Turks :)
    pls remember Marquez
    "cronica de una muerte anunciada " main character, santiago nasar is an El Turco...

on the other hand, there is a funny orientalism
    that Latins think that Turco women have special tricks in sex,
    so they may have a different interest when they learn you are Turkish.

if it is true, then why dont Turkish guys are aware of it???!!

Funny

RAFAEL MUSEUM - SAN ISIDRO 10 YEARS AGO

by RafaelTheSecond Written Oct 13, 2005

Rafael in San Isidro by Mariano - 10 years ago!

Hehehe this is part of my personal history, i was at my great friend Mariano's house get ready for one more day in the winter of Buenos Aires. It was May 1995...In that time I was a young kid of 24....Gosh I am old, but I am glad to share special moments in this special city which always have been my home: BUENOS AIRES!

• asteve777's Profile Photo

Kissing and Eating Habits

by asteve777 Written May 18, 2006

I recieved not handshakes but kisses on both cheeks from not only the women but men in the Church I attended there! So just made the kissing sound as the touched your cheek with theirs. Other kissed your cheeks as a greeting! They are very friendly and warm once they get to know you!

I noticed not many people at all in the Resturants at night until around 8:30 to 10pm. Their late eaters. They eat lots of pastries and drink lots of mate and coffee!

MY FIRST BIRTHDAY IN ARGENTINA

Mariano, Rafael (now 34 years old) and Gustavo in

Hahahahah I will be very personal to write this tip, last wednesday was my birthday, and my first birthday in Argentina and also outside Brasil. sure Argentina had this honour, and I am honored to be here in Argentina together with my great and adorable friends of so so many times!

We went to an armanean and arabic restaurant in Nuñez, a very cool place called Garbis, very sophisticated restaurant with exquisite food.

In the picture it was my big big and best friend in South America, Mariano Rinaldi and my fantastic PRIMO (hahahaha) Gustavo Rinaldi, obviously you can tell that they are brothers, and also my brothers too!

Mariano and I are friends for more than 10 years, and this big man Gustavo I met when he was a little boy!

They are my family and my great reference in this wonderful city called Buenos Aires!

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo

FRIENDLY PEOPLE - WELL THEY ARE MY FAMILY! :)

by RafaelTheSecond Written Sep 24, 2005

My good friend Martin and I in Recoleta Graveyard

This is my friend Martin who kindly spent the afternoon with us at Recoleta, martin is a theatre lover and very concerned about Argentinean culture, spend the say with him is like having a very funny class about Argentina!

That day my stomach was very wild, but I managed to survive.

Fisrt week of September, 2005

• Business Travel

ONE AMERICAN AND ONE GREAT JEWEL FROM ARGENTINA

Old friend Steve in his lovely holidays in BA and

Lu, the so powerful First Lady of the King of the Journalism in Argentina! The incredible girlfriend of my brother and best friend Mariano Rinaldi, she was there to celebrate my 34th anniverssary, and so does my big american friend Steve, visiting Argentina. He is from New Orleans!

September 28th, 2005

MY ARGENTINEAN FAMILY

by RafaelTheSecond Written Sep 23, 2005

One crazy argentinean and one crazy brazilian by L

My local custon tips are lighter...nothing to do with the protests we saw almost every week at Mayo Square, I just want to show you how normal and very family based life is in Argentina. In this country I have also my family, they are very close friends of mine, and this is my crazy and best friend in Argentina, we know each other for more than 10 years I guess, I think it is almost 11 years, and he is my great great brother!

We took this picture in my second weekend in Buenos Aires, it is in the suburbs of the city, in a very pleasant place in the Province called Martinez!

Sep 16th, 2005

• Business Travel

• getting oriented

by pedrobrophy Written Jun 13, 2007

I visited BA in Nov, 2004 (just as city was beginning to emerge from a few bad economic years). I found a wonderful service called, "Meet Buenos Aires", www.meetbuenosaires.com is how to locate them. They provide a quide for a very reasonable price who will take you anywhere you would like to go, and will help you find the best bargains on everything from goods to restaurants. Their language skills are excellent, and their friendly, honest guidance is simply terrific. I stumbled on them while surfing the web. I would call it, "Hire a friend" because I truly felt (as did my wife) that our guide, Estaban, became a friend. Always the best way to see a new place.

• Seniors
    • School Holidays

STARVATION IN ARGENTINA

My argentinean brother Mariano Rinaldi

Mariano is famous eigher in Buenos Aires or Rio de Janeiro as a food destroyer...he faces every dish of food as a shark sees the leg of a surfer! It was not different when we had my birthday dinner. It was our dessert time. I must thanks this MAN for great moments lived in Argentina of the many times I came him, he was the one who made me love enven more this country!

September 28th, 2005

• ComandanteG's Profile Photo

Be prepared to enjoy

by ComandanteG Written Jul 15, 2008

Answer should be: it depends. Laws are similar but costumes are different. It seems that you do not speak Spanish and this will limit your movements. In some areas or groups, americans are not well received while other groups will be fascinated with the chance to speak English. Be aware of people (as in all other foreign country you may visit) until you know them.

Youngsters that may consume some drugs may expect different environments.

Travelling is a wonderfull experience, just be prepared to enjoy as much as you can. Being 20 years old is a double chance to enjoy.

While in the US is perhaps rather dificult to foreing people to make friends, this will not be the same here. Welcome!

• people in buenos aires,...

by fortur Written Aug 24, 2002

people in buenos aires, specially youth, doesnt care about anything what is great... they are really friendly, treat everybody nice, dress what ever they want to (believe me: WHATEVER THEY WANT!!)... I felt really special there about being brazilian.. everybody were interesting on knowing things about my country and my life...people would stop me on the bus to talk... really nice!

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires