Cabaña Las Lilas, Buenos Aires

Filet Mignon
  • vtnyc's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Peter Luger's is Second to Cabana Las Lilas

by vtnyc Updated Apr 4, 2011

2 minutes at your table and this is what you get!

In my opinion, this has got to be the best parilla in all of Buenos Aires. I know some may disagree, but for me, when I ate at a steakhouse and the medallon de lomo melted in my mouth on 3 separate occassions, I was convinced Cabana Las Lilas was the best.

There's a small table cover per person. At lunch the table cover is 12 pesos and at dinner 14 pesos. The table "cover" includes dried tomatoes, mozzarella, olives, peppers, and delicious garlic bread. It comes on a huge plate, about 16 inches in diameter and gives enough to snack on while navigating the menu. You can see the tray in my pic.

This is a steak lover's paradise, so if you are not a steak aficionado, you might not do justice to the quality of steak here.

Octavio Caraballo is the owner, and Las Lilas raises their own cattle on their own private farms.

Main dishes will run between 38-44 pesos. appetizers 12-18 pesos, and desserts around 16 pesos.

If you're going for lunch, make sure you show up on time. Lunch is only served between 12-3:30. I say that because I saw people being turned down from going in after 3:30 at the front door.

Favorite Dish: Medallon de Lomo--I had it 3 times.
    Chorizos Bombon--little mini sausages, yum!

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Yes I ate here....

by cjg1 Written Sep 5, 2006

Ok. The reviews I heard were accurate. This place is NOT worth the hype. Everyone told me this ahead of time and they were right. We used this again as a COW DO dinner for stragglers on Monday this year. I skipped out last year for a better meal with VTers and decided I should try it once.

Favorite Dish: I had the Medallion de Lomo. It was good. Nothing super fantastic though. The real gem of the menu is the smashed pumpkin. The rest is good but not great and CERTAINLY NOT worth the prices they charge in this place.

• sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Good meat but way too overpriced!

by sabrina_florida Updated Mar 18, 2012

Caba��a Las Lilas

Hmm... where to start... OK, the beef will never dissapoint you, that's true, but hey! we live in Beef Paradise, so why would you spend a minimum of 70 pesos (23 dollars) just for a coke, a piece of meat and a cover charge of 15 pesos? It's sooo not worth it. You can get extraordinary beef anywhere else and pay half as much, including a side order, a dessert and wine!
    This place was created for tourists exclusively, as the prices are a total rip off. If you come to think of it, the prices are in dollars, not in pesos... 40 pesos for just a piece of grilled chicken??? Sure! that's 13 dollars. And one more thing, this place DOES NOT reflect what beef is for us at all! A gaucho would scream blue murder if he saw it!

• Cabana Las Lilas: A "Must" in Buenos Aires

by Eseg Updated Jun 30, 2004

This restaurant has to be among the great steakhouses of the world. Dark wook sets the atmosphere as you walk in past their wine cellar and the grill where busy chefs make it all happen. You must come hungry, though, as meals wil be quite filling, but not at the level you find in some of the steakhouses in west Texas, USA. The restaurant raises its own cattle and this is obvious by their incredibly tender beef dishes. Not a beef eater? Then get some of their salmon. By American standards, their wine is pretty much being given away in terms of prices. Great selection from Mendoza valley and their wine list is divided between exceptional and very good wines.

Favorite Dish: You just have to try their "lomo," or tenderloin together with their puree of "calabaza." Life just doesn't get any better than this. And you don't even have to order an appetizer, because before you know it, there will be a huge plate before you full of chicken, salmon, anchiovies, bread, and cheese. And what's more, during our June 2004 visit, dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine and coffee (which they served with an assortment of delicious sweets) came up to about $46 American dollars!

• jetsetterforever's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Cabana Las Lilas

by jetsetterforever Written Dec 5, 2004

That's me figuring out how to eat all that meat.

For those of you not familiar with Argentine cuisine it consists of the following: meat, meat, and more meat. I recommend coming to this place on a COMPLETELY EMPTY STOMACH. You can see from the picture how huge the portions are. Prices are verrrry reasonable thanks to the exchange rate.

According to the guidebook, Cabana Las Lilas is one of the best steakhouses in Argentina. It is located in the up and coming area of Puerto Madero, right on the waterfront. Service was great, as you are served a variety of appetizers within seconds of being seated.

For those of you looking to practice your Spanish, "jugoso" means rare and "bien cocina" means well-done. Other essential phrases are "mas vino" which means "more wine".

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Cabanas Las Lilas: WOW !!!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 25, 2011

Well worth the trip here !!!!

I was told by several people that this was the best steakhouse in all of Argentina, and believe me it held up to it's well earned reputation. The word amazing is the best word I could find for this place. I had the pleasure of having dinner here on Valentine's Day 2004. The prices here are a steal for the American dollar. Had probably one of the best steaks in my life here...The portions are HUGE !!! come to eat, because that's what your gonna do !!!!! The wine selections are outsanding and priced very well. Of course only Argentian wines are the served here with the exception of "Dom" and at 100 US dollars a bottle it might worth ordering a bottle or two. Appetizer's, main course for 2, dessert and 2 bottles of wine....$100 US. Try that in Morton's Steakhouse in the USA., which could easily run you $400 US..... PERFECT 10 out of 10

Favorite Dish: Rib-eye steak, T-bone.......were perfect....and BIG !!!! almost too big !!!!!!

• bruingirl's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Best steaks in Buenos Aires!

by bruingirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Mmmm....tasty.....

I guess even a mediocre steakhouse in Buenos Aires is probably better than a good steakhouse in the U.S. They weren't kidding when they say that Argentina has the best meat! I don't normally eat meat, but I decided "when in Rome...." :) So, prior to my trip to Argentina, I started eating a little bit of beef in the U.S. so that I can compare. Well, the conclusion is that the steaks in BA are really yummy!! :) Cabana las Lilas has a great atmosphere that's more casual for a higher end restaurant. It's fairly big and it's right on the water with an outdoor patio. As you are waiting for your table, there is a big bar area with tables where the servers will come by with complimentary empanadas, mixed nuts, and champagne. The only complaint I had was that the service we got was somewhat mediocre. Granted, it was a Friday evening and VERY crowded, but still....Also, FYI, everything is served a la carte so you have to order side dishes separately if you want something else besides your choice of meat. Cabana las Lilas has their own estancia (ranch) from where they bring their beef for their restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I actually got shrimp since I don't normally eat meat so I had a bite of everyone else's which was really good. They also serve this cheese bread that is really yummy as well! :) The shrimp was actually really good! It was just cooked in olive oil and some seasoning and served (head on and everything) with potatoes. I'm not a beef expert, but I hear that some of the good choices are Ojo de Bife (rib eye), Bife de Chorizo (T-Bone), and Medallon de lomo (Tenderloin). The cows produce better meat because they are raised on the Pampas eating grass, unlike the US.

• Rasta_Rob's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: You Get What You Pay For...

by Rasta_Rob Written Aug 15, 2003

You get what you pay for in life, and the fact that Cabaña Las Lilas is one of the most expensive parilla restaurants in BA is proof of this: it is without a doubt the best restaurant of its kind in the city. The owner apparently flies in the beef daily from his own cattle ranch (estancia) in the Pampas, the vast grassland region of Argentina famous for producing the best beef in the world.

The food, ambience, service, and water-front location at Cabaña Las Lilas are all outstanding. If you are visiting BA from abroad and only eat at one restaurant, make this the one. If you live here and earn pesos, get your visitors to pick up the tab! (actually, it's still very inexpensive by U.S. standards).

Favorite Dish: Ojo de Bife, "jugoso" (Rib-Eye Steak, medium rare). Before I tried it myself, a friend told me it was so good it made her cry. She was right!

• MM212's Profile Photo

Cabaña las Lilas: Steak in Puerto Madero

by MM212 Updated Aug 15, 2009

The sleek dining room

Considered one of the best restaurants in Buenos Aires, Cabaña las Lilas is a parrilla that serves beef from its own Argentine ranches. Its reputation has also made it one of the most expensive in the city, so it has become popular among the wealthy as well as tourists. It is also affiliated with one of São Paulo's most popular steakhouses, Figueira Rubaiyat in Jardins. It was one of the few restaurants open on Christmas Eve 2008, so my travel companions and I ate here more out of necessity. While the food was delicious, the service could have been better and the prices lower. Frankly, as enjoyable as it was, there are other restaurants in Buenos Aires that serve equally delicious food for a lot less money. The restaurant is located in Puerto Madero, the docks area in the city that has been redone and turned into a trendy area in Buenos Aires.

• Cabana Las Lilas: Good food but loud

by rt4755 Updated Jun 27, 2005

The food here is good but.............if you are looking for a taste of Argentina, this is not it. The restaurant caters mostly to foreigners and it tends to very loud at times.

If you are looking for something more intimate with great food (the meats are to die for) I would suggest La Cabana on Rodriguez Pena 1967, Tel: 4814 0001

• Cabaña las lilas: Fantastica cocina y ambiente!

by iax521c Written May 18, 2008

Si visitas Buenos Aires, no puedes dejar de visitar este restaurante! Tanto la comida como el ambiente es fantastico y el entorno inmejorable.

La atencion desde que llegas es fantastica, todo el personal muy amable!

Para repetir, y repetir y repetir!

Favorite Dish: La carne!

• sabarish's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Great food

by sabarish Written Sep 26, 2006

This is where locals always bring out-of-towners to impress them. Widely considered the best parrilla in Buenos Aires, Cabaña las Lilas is always packed. The menu pays homage to Argentine beef, which comes from the restaurant's private estancia (ranch). The table "cover" -- which includes dried tomatoes, mozzarella, olives, peppers, and delicious garlic bread -- nicely whets the appetite, but don't forget that you're here to order steak. The best cuts are the rib-eye, baby beef, and thin skirt steak. Order sautéed vegetables, grilled onions, or Provençal-style fries separately. Chicken and fish are also part of the offerings, and vegetarians don't have to stay at home, since there is a large selection of very fresh and crisp salads. Service is hurried but professional, but you can still ask your waiter to match a fine Argentine wine with your meal. This enormous eatery offers indoor and outdoor seating, and in spite of its high price, it is casual and informal with patrons coming in everything from suits to shorts.

• Cabaña Las Lilas: Good, not great

by jcozma Written Jun 13, 2006

My wife and I stopped at Cabana Las Lilas for a late lunch on a Saturday (April 29, 2006). We had high expectations, based largely on the swooning reviews posted here and elsewhere. After having spent the prior week in Buenos Aires and environs, we were well acclimated to the pace of service and occasional linguistic hurdles (so we were not Type A, hyper-caffeinated, fresh-off-the-plane, I WANT SERVICE NOW!!, tourists). We found the service at Las Lilas to be quite leisurely, bordering on indifferent, which could potentially be due to the time of day. I can accept that. The steak, to put it mildly, was downright awful. Now, I have eaten at world-class steakhouses, as well as at more than a few local dive steakhouses in the US (and Argentina), but I've had few steaks as tough, or stringy as the ribeye that I choked down at Las Lilas. Maybe it was a bad day, maybe I expected too much, I don't know. I can tell you that I had a better steak, for less than half the price, at La Rienda Parilla, Paraguay 716, than what I had at Las Lilas. And, lest I forget, the steak knives were actually sharp at La Rienda, too. Nice touch!

Save your money and eat two great meals elsewhere in Buenos Aires for the same price - even picking a restaurant at random, you can't do that much worse.

• Cabaña Las Lilas: Dont bother

by sharnad Written Dec 7, 2005

Read about this place and went their the first day, got seated quickly, the first thing they do is put downa little plate of tapas which arent really that nice and which they charge you 13 pesos for each, this is about 2pound 25 which doesnt sound much but is the cost of a three course meal in other resteraunts, they do keep pushing stuff at you unasked and add it to the bill, I asked for the steaks well cooked and they came dripping of blood, I sent mine back and it came back still slighty pink, my boyfriend couldnt eat his and after 30 minutes left the resteraunts, when I asked for the bill, they got someone who spoke english only girl in the place that did if there was anything wrong with my fellas steak, i said he asked for well done and its not cooked, they offered to take it back and re cook it but it had been sitting there for half an hour and my boyfriend had already left the resteraount, meal was $300 pesos for 2 cokes 2 beers and 2 small steaks which is £60 which could feed you for a week going out to other resteraunts in the city, went out twice a day in the city for a week and never had a meal as expensive or bad, do not go not worth it, plenty of other places to get great steak at a tenth of the cost,

Favorite Dish: The pepper that comes with the cover charge are okay

• lkdahl's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Best Steaks

by lkdahl Written Feb 19, 2005

According to past billing this is the premier steak place in Buenos Aires. After eating here I'd have to agree. Great atmoshere along the waterfront in Puerto Madero, which looks alot more active this year than it did last year. It is not cheap for BA standards. It's up to 2 times the prices you'll find in much of Recoleta.

On the night I dined here it looked as though 75% of the patrons were foreigners.

Favorite Dish: I believe, I had what would be the equivelent of filet mignon. Perfectly prepared medium. With a good Malbec. Sides of grilled mushrooms and grilled vegitables.

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires