Cabaña Las Lilas, Buenos Aires

Exterior
    Filet Mignon
    The sleek dining room
    by MM212
  • Cabaña Las Lilas: Expensive and memorable but not good!

by hunkbear Written Oct 11, 2007

We booked a table at Cabana Las Lilas last Saturday evening 6/10/07, when I arrived they could not locate my booking so gave us a table in the smoking area outside at the side. It was freezing and the standard of service was bored and boring.

We were presented with the menus and asked for 2 gin and tonics, the table was immediately swamped with bread, starter snacks water etc. We had no where to even put down the menus, let alone take in the atmosphere and the when the wine list arrived it’s a bible and a bit silly if you don’t have time to read it.

We ordered rare steaks and a good wine

The gin and tonics arrived with the wine and we insisted that the wine be left and so it was - no one served the wine at all or asked us to even taste it.

The main course arrived before we were finished our drinks or the starters. The meat was passable but not a patch on what we had in other places, cooked medium rare the mushrooms the Provencal chips were cold. I asked for mustard twice which arrived when I had finished my steak.

No one ever came to ask if we were happy or made us feel in any way welcome. We had deserts and left. What a disappointing night after 20 days in Argentina this was our final treat to visit the famous Cabana Las Lilas.

For the money I feel they have traded too long on their reputation and failed to meet the basic standards of food or service, which a restaurant of this calibre should achieve. I am so disappointed and sad that a once great name has become a conveyor belt experience more of a tourist attraction than a quality eating establishment

Shame on you Cabana Las Lilas – I won’t be recommending you to anyone! Far from it! – wake up or close down!

This was the most expensive meal we had in Argentina and was the most memorable but not for good reasons

• Cabaña Las Lilas: Horrible service and just mediocre food

by ali75 Written Jan 28, 2007

We traveled from the US and had heard great things about this place. Turns out it was one of the worst places we experienced for service during our entire South American vacation. Food was just okay and you get charged for a 'cover' plate which is just okay -12 US dollars for two people. Also, to sit outside you will get charged an extra 5 US dollars. You will have to 'beg' for someone to come to your table to give you more water, wine etc. The meals came cold and in the middle of eating our salad. Honestly, skip it. We complained to the manager and they were only half professional. Only thing nice about this place is the 'ambience' which is not that hard to find in Buenos Aires.

Not worth the hype.

• Wilmera01's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Okay....if your company is paying

by Wilmera01 Written Nov 2, 2007

The beef here is solid for sure, but why pay so much when you can get the same thing that's just as tasty somewhere else for way cheaper? I say this and I didn't even pick up my tab!

Four of us had wine, drinks, tequila, dessert, the "welcome" platter of appetizers and oyo de lomo for 500 pesos, 125 pesos each. $42 USD each is a steal by New York or London standards but we're in Buenos Aires, land of the inexpensive meal.

I also felt ripped off when I ordered veggies and they gave me a small portion for 21 pesos. Everything else we ordered was in large enough portions to split but somehow veggies weren't.

Atmosphere perfectly pleasant but I'll take my local, no-name parilla anyday over this obvious tourist destination.

Favorite Dish: excellent house wine. Good little snacks while we waited for our table too.

• KStanz's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Wonderful!

by KStanz Written Feb 2, 2008

This had to be one of the best places for steak in the city. We went twice in a single week and were not disappointed. The T-bone beats anything I have ever had in any of the major steakhouses in the US. I have been all the best steakhouses in the US and they can't come close to Las Lilas. The service is fantastic, the food is fresh and sitting on the patio is a pleasure. Word to the wise, if you are not going for lunch or an early dinner you will want to make a reservation. Also, you will want to make sure you come hungry. The price can't be beat. Similar food and service in the US would have cost us more than 3xs the amount. We tried hard to spend a lot of money, just to see if we could do it, but two steaks, 3 sides, dessert, 2 bottles of wine and it was still under $120usd!

• Cabaña Las Lilas: Promise Delivered!

by jrscaggs Written Dec 18, 2011

If you want to experience a great value and can spend a moderate amount of your hard-earned cash, book and dine here. I am not given to exaggeration or effusive behavior (just ask my wife); but our experience was exceptional and worth writing about. Prior to going to Cabaña Las Lilas, on our extended trip, we dined at several area establishments. Local friends said try Cabaña Las Lilas.

The former warehouse row had been converted to lofts above and restaurants along the canals entry floors. Our first good sign was how busy Cabaña Las Lilas was in comparison to the other dinning establishments near.

From the reservation, to the moment of arrival -- to departure, the experience was perfect. I am not sure a short reservation will always work on a Saturday night -- we called at 7:30 PM asking for an 8 PM reservation. To our surprise and delight, we were able to get in. I suppose it is early for locals to dine and it appeared many out-of-town guests were selecting the restaurant spontaneously (walk up and ask to be seated). Take my advice; plan to take this one in. Put it on your list. You will thank me later. By 8:30, they were full and they stayed that way until we left, around 9:30. We watched many couples and groups get turned away.

The hostess staff warmly greeted us. Since it was a beautiful day and cooling off slowly after being in the mid-80s, in the reservation we asked for and were seated outside on the back patio. The wonderful starter that is provided to every patron surprised us. Then came the bread -- and it kept coming, and coming. From the vegetables in olive oil to the blue cheese and butter, the tray delighted the palate and gave you a warm, centered feeling. Garlic bread and rolls unlimited. The staff works a table on a pool or team basis. They work very customer-aware and you are never more than a few minutes without attention to an issue; your water needing a refill - done. The bread tray coming by, boom; the balance of attentiveness without intrusion is remarkable. We had a shopping bag from some recent Christmas gift buying. To ensure nothing of ours walked away, a manager took a zip-tie and attached it to a unoccupied seat arm. Prevention is better than regret. At no time did we feel unsafe of at risk. You could not swing a dead cat and not hit a security guard. They patrolled just outside the restaurant along the moderately traveled footbath along the canal. You may feel more comfortable if you dress in a snappy casual way (khakis and polo shirt for guys, summer dress for gals). They didn't seem to turn anyone away for attire, but most patrons reflected a slightly better than average look of means.

Favorite Dish: Being from Texas, we have opinions about steak; but we asked the manager about the best tasting steak. He didn't point to the Kobe beef area that was 3x+ more expensive, but pointed to the simple Ribeye that was about 400 grams. We have learned that to get what we called Medium Rare in Texas, you must ask for Medium in BA. We had the same Ribeye that was $163 ARS. For sides, we had the rice Las Lilas and the grilled vegetables. The rice had bits of goodness - eggs and other light and full of texture items. The grilled vegetables consisted of onions, tomatoes, zucchini and Portobello mushrooms.

• Business Travel

• WigglesMalibu's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Don't Believe the Hype

by WigglesMalibu Updated Apr 4, 2011

While the service, ambience and side dishes were excellent I'm am absolutely puzzeled as to how this restaurant can be considered a great steakhouse.

My steak came well done after I ordered it medium rare and the replacement was far from tender. I also tried bites from everyone at the table and found their cuts also mediocre. The chefs here could also use some lessons as they make a large cut in to every steak to make sure it's cooked to order. This allows the precious juices to leek out and is unnecessary as you can tell how cooked a steak is by checking its firmness.

Favorite Dish: The salmon carpaccio was an excellent appetizer.

• Florabean's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Don't Miss The Argentine Beef !!!!

by Florabean Written Oct 22, 2005

This restaurant is located in an area of Buenos Aires called "Puerto Madera". This area is near the seaport and was completely renovated in 1991. It consists of a string of restaurants and some businesses situated along the waterfront. The ambience at night is awesome, very romantic. We ate dinner sitting on this restaurant's verandah. If it gets too chilly, there's heated air blowing from the porch's ceiling to chase away the coolness. The service is first rate, the food is delicious. I LOVED the Argentine beef and had the best filet mignon here! For dessert I ordered the cheesecake and they served 2 pieces!!! I would defintely recommend this restaurant, although a bit pricier because everything's ala carte, it's still cheaper than the finest restaurant in the States and well worth it!

Favorite Dish: Any Argentine Beef is delicious. We ordered Beef from many different restaurants and did not get a bad piece of meat. Also, it's cooked exactly the way you want it the first time...no sending it back while your dinner partner waits for your dinner to get cooked properly!!!!

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: STEAK HOUSE

by sfphototraveller Written May 1, 2005

I was on a city tour with a guide and my guide took me here.
    I did enjoy the steak, I did eat better tasting steaks in Buenos Aires for much cheaper in other Argentine resturants where they serve steaks but no Menu in English. You would need to know someone who lives there or reads and speaks spanish.

Favorite Dish: Steak.

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: A great piece of meat and a great view

by ncoutroulis Written Jun 20, 2004

in Puerta Madero, on the river, is this great Argentine steak house. It's beautifully done, and the food is great too. And it keeps coming. Go hungary, because you'll be eating plenty. There are so many types of meat to choose from, and they're ll great, as well as the fish. I went here several times, and each time it was very good.

• Cabana Las Lillas: Argentina's Finest

by lgard Written Jan 6, 2003

Housed in a modern, converted warehouse along the river in Puerto Madero, this airy parilla restaurant manages is widely considered one of the city's best, and for good reason. The place was not at all touristy but instead filled with an array of Argentinians wearing everything from evening dresses and sports coats to jeans. Service was impeccable. Great wine list also.

Favorite Dish: Grilled beef is the house specialty but every dish seemed divine. I don't eat red meat and had a superb grilled chicken dish with pumpkin mash. Bread was served a few moments after we set down, as is typical in Argentina, yet this was the only restaurant we visited where a designated bread-basket server stopped by every so often to replenish our plates with the most divine selection of breads I've ever seen.

• sof76's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Cabaña Las Lilas

by sof76 Updated Jul 25, 2007

They have great food and great attention. You can notice that in the bill also...
    =)

Favorite Dish: Tenderloin steak

• leosantanajr's Profile Photo

Cabaña Las Lilas: Best steak in town

by leosantanajr Updated Apr 4, 2011

Caba��a Las Lilas

Superb steak ….I can’t compare, but probably one of the bests in town…..if not in the whole world…

Favorite Dish: The baby beef is really great....
    We were in four and ordered only one dish for all.....It's enough!

• Seniors