Desnivel, Buenos Aires

by TexasDave
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: Great and cheap

by cjg1 Updated Sep 13, 2006

El Desnivel is a great place. Again it’s a multi-visit place that is cheap and great. It has small tables and some of the walls aren’t in the best of repair. But that doesn’t stop the quick and good service and excellent food. I first came here with Sofia and her cousin with another VT’er I was just meeting. I had actually walked out of Cabana Las Lilas this night to come eat here.

Favorite Dish: Usually have the Bife de Lomo and fries with a large Quilmes. Imagine all this for $10 US. So nice.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

El Desnivel

by barryg23 Updated Sep 9, 2008

El Desnivel is one of Buenos Aires' best known restaurants and is popular with both portenos and tourists who flock here in huge numbers to sample the excellent steaks and the great atmosphere. You'll be greeted by big waiters who look like they eat steak for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It´s located in the heart of the historic district of San Telmo and the menu is typical Argentinian fare; you can order pretty much any part of the cow you fancy though we decided to be non-adventurous and chose the classic lomo (fillet) steak. There are cheaper restaurants in Buenos Aires and in San Telmo where you´ll get just as good a meal, but all the same El Desnivel is well worth a visit.

El Desnivel Delicious Bife de Lomo with potatoes

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: Cheap good place for a meal

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 24, 2009

The restaurant is quite small with tables very close together and it is always crowded and noisy, but if you can get past that you'll be happy you decide to came inside. The food here is so good and cheap. The service is fantastic as well and its well worth the wait as there is usually people waiting to be seated.

I've been here several time, my first visit was back in November 2007 when we were in San Thelmo just walking around. We were starting to feel a bit hungry sometime around 3:30 and decided to have a meal to share here.

During my second visit, we again were here for a late lunch, this time we each decided to order our own dish.

Favorite Dish: Anything you order here will be good. I usually have their bife de lomo and fries with either a glass of wine or a Quilmes.

• melosh's Profile Photo

Desnivel: Could be the best steak at the best price

by melosh Written Nov 29, 2006

VT member Sofia and her mother both swore that this was the place for the best steak in Buenos Aires at any price. And still they indicated that the prices were economical. They indicated that it was popular with Argentinians. Sofia even wrote out a little note indicating that I had to order "bife de lomo" and for a starter a "provolete. The place was clearly popular with a typical Buenos Aires type of atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The bife de lomo was tasty, lean, perfectly cooked and the most tender steak I have ever eaten. Although the tenderness was extraordinary, I still can not get over how tasty in was considering how lean.

Desnivel from inside

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

EL DESNIVEL: PARRILLA

by sfphototraveller Updated Oct 9, 2009

I ordered the bife do Chorizo butterflied 32 pesos plus a coke.
    Its a very large steak 2 people would be full. I ate the whole thing. Just a steak and a coke.
    Total 42 pesos.

I got there around 12;30 There were people already eating when I left it was full.
    Largest steak for the price so far.

• kalanialoha's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: Don't miss the Bife de Lomo!

by kalanialoha Written Nov 5, 2006

I loved the local ambiance of the place. Not fancy, but fun none the less. We even got to listen to a local artist singing a few songs of tango music.

Our waiter was so surly that by the end of our meal, we were clapping when he finally brought one of the guys the steak he thought he had ordered an hour earlier.

The prices are so reasonable here. The tab for our party of 12 was 350 pesos with tip. Amazing that it included the bottles of wine and beer that we had ordered...less than $10 per person.

Favorite Dish: Per Sofi's recommendation, I tried the Bife de lomo. It was fantastic! I'm not really even a meat eater, but this steak was so tender and flavorful that I ate every bite of it.

Big group dinner

• jamief's Profile Photo

Des Neval: THE BEST STEAK!!!

by jamief Written Mar 16, 2006

Do you want a Delicous Tenderloin Steak the size of a car tire? This place is totally awesome and CHEAP! For $7.00 US you can get the biggest and best steak you've ever had with a 1/4 litre casa tinta and a very nice salad. And the quality is great. The owner is a huge guy, that just seems to love his job and he is really quite entertaining and outgoing. It's funny watching him interact with the patrons. He actually started dancing with some older Canadian women as they were leaving.

• Wilmera01's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: Cool. cool lugar

by Wilmera01 Written Oct 31, 2007

All the reviews are spot on about this place: tasty food at the right price! I've been in B.A. for three weeks and it's the cheapest I've come across.

I didn't actually sit down for a meal; I stood and ate a "chor y pan" (chorizo/sausage and bread) as I saw the locals do. Also had a copa de vino tinto. All for the grand total of 6 pesos! That's $2 usd.

Also, I was impressed by the friendly staff. My story was: I was supposed to meet classmates for dinner and was stood up. I waited half and hour and nothing. Of course all the staff saw me loitering so when I finally decided to make an order, they were so nice about it. Jorge, the guy manning the grill, was super cool and pointed out the salsa (sauce) I should put on my sandwich and he also made me laugh by hiding my wine and then acting surpised when I looked around for it.

It probably helped I was a single woman dressed nicely but nevertheless, I haven't been to many restaurants in my life where staff (waiters were joking with me too) went out of their way to make me comfortable.

P.S. I spoke Spanish the whole time but I'm no expert. They knew I was a foreigner. Also, this place is casual. Don't need to put on your best outfit unless you're dancing afterwards.

Favorite Dish: Chor y pan. Take it to go! You can eat it in their tiny entrance too.

The bife de lomo looked incredible too. Large portion.

• maruyelmundo's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: The best parilla of San Telmo

by maruyelmundo Written Jan 1, 2006

The food is good but i don´t know if this is what makes that place so special.. maybe the atmosphere or its identity... it is so typical that i feel like if part of our culture is comming out from there...
    Maybe is not so clean, and not so luxurious as it should, but is just real, you can´t miss it!

Favorite Dish: Mmmmm the meat is good but the best is the dessert!: Budin de pan con mucho dulce de leche!!!

La carne a la parrrriillaaaaaaaa! Condimentos tipicos Mas y mas carneeeeeeeeeeee

• El Desnivel: Enjoy the atmosphere

by Roseemery Written Nov 24, 2007

El Desnivel was so much fun. We enjoyed a super lunch there - packed with people, lots of noise, great atmosphere and good food. I am still reeling at the memory of the man at the next table eating a huge steak at 3pm, then ordering another and finishing that too!!! Wonderful group of 4 old men at the next table, enjoying their parilla and wine and having the time of their lives.

Favorite Dish: Super chorizo, flan and coffee cortado. I became a coffe cortado addict in Argentina!

• El Desnivel: Terrible cleanliness

by jayb1980 Written Jan 8, 2007

I must say the first time that I ate in this restaurant, it was a really good experience. The food was good and the staff was freindly so I had to take my friends back there on my second trip and thank goodness it was busy. While waiting in line (right beside the chef) he managed to drop food on the floor, pick it up and continue to cook with it... absolutely terrible and because of that, I will not go back there again!

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: The Working Man's Steakhouse

by TexasDave Written Nov 7, 2007

Thereis nothing elegant or glitzy about this time worn parrilla- it's all about the meat. A must-do however for authentic old-style Buenos Aires eating.

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires

Comments

Hotels Near Desnivel
3.0 out of 5 stars