El Desnivel, Buenos Aires

by TexasDave
  • sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

EL DESNIVEL: PARRILLA

by sfphototraveller Updated Oct 9, 2009

I ordered the bife do Chorizo butterflied 32 pesos plus a coke.
    Its a very large steak 2 people would be full. I ate the whole thing. Just a steak and a coke.
    Total 42 pesos.

I got there around 12;30 There were people already eating when I left it was full.
    Largest steak for the price so far.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: Cheap good place for a meal

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 24, 2009

The restaurant is quite small with tables very close together and it is always crowded and noisy, but if you can get past that you'll be happy you decide to came inside. The food here is so good and cheap. The service is fantastic as well and its well worth the wait as there is usually people waiting to be seated.

I've been here several time, my first visit was back in November 2007 when we were in San Thelmo just walking around. We were starting to feel a bit hungry sometime around 3:30 and decided to have a meal to share here.

During my second visit, we again were here for a late lunch, this time we each decided to order our own dish.

Favorite Dish: Anything you order here will be good. I usually have their bife de lomo and fries with either a glass of wine or a Quilmes.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

by barryg23 Updated Sep 9, 2008

El Desnivel

El Desnivel is one of Buenos Aires' best known restaurants and is popular with both portenos and tourists who flock here in huge numbers to sample the excellent steaks and the great atmosphere. You'll be greeted by big waiters who look like they eat steak for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It´s located in the heart of the historic district of San Telmo and the menu is typical Argentinian fare; you can order pretty much any part of the cow you fancy though we decided to be non-adventurous and chose the classic lomo (fillet) steak. There are cheaper restaurants in Buenos Aires and in San Telmo where you´ll get just as good a meal, but all the same El Desnivel is well worth a visit.

• El Desnivel: Enjoy the atmosphere

by Roseemery Written Nov 24, 2007

El Desnivel was so much fun. We enjoyed a super lunch there - packed with people, lots of noise, great atmosphere and good food. I am still reeling at the memory of the man at the next table eating a huge steak at 3pm, then ordering another and finishing that too!!! Wonderful group of 4 old men at the next table, enjoying their parilla and wine and having the time of their lives.

Favorite Dish: Super chorizo, flan and coffee cortado. I became a coffe cortado addict in Argentina!

• Wilmera01's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: Cool. cool lugar

by Wilmera01 Written Oct 31, 2007

All the reviews are spot on about this place: tasty food at the right price! I've been in B.A. for three weeks and it's the cheapest I've come across.

I didn't actually sit down for a meal; I stood and ate a "chor y pan" (chorizo/sausage and bread) as I saw the locals do. Also had a copa de vino tinto. All for the grand total of 6 pesos! That's $2 usd.

Also, I was impressed by the friendly staff. My story was: I was supposed to meet classmates for dinner and was stood up. I waited half and hour and nothing. Of course all the staff saw me loitering so when I finally decided to make an order, they were so nice about it. Jorge, the guy manning the grill, was super cool and pointed out the salsa (sauce) I should put on my sandwich and he also made me laugh by hiding my wine and then acting surpised when I looked around for it.

It probably helped I was a single woman dressed nicely but nevertheless, I haven't been to many restaurants in my life where staff (waiters were joking with me too) went out of their way to make me comfortable.

P.S. I spoke Spanish the whole time but I'm no expert. They knew I was a foreigner. Also, this place is casual. Don't need to put on your best outfit unless you're dancing afterwards.

Favorite Dish: Chor y pan. Take it to go! You can eat it in their tiny entrance too.

The bife de lomo looked incredible too. Large portion.

• El Desnivel: Terrible cleanliness

by jayb1980 Written Jan 8, 2007

I must say the first time that I ate in this restaurant, it was a really good experience. The food was good and the staff was freindly so I had to take my friends back there on my second trip and thank goodness it was busy. While waiting in line (right beside the chef) he managed to drop food on the floor, pick it up and continue to cook with it... absolutely terrible and because of that, I will not go back there again!

• melosh's Profile Photo

Desnivel: Could be the best steak at the best price

by melosh Written Nov 29, 2006

VT member Sofia and her mother both swore that this was the place for the best steak in Buenos Aires at any price. And still they indicated that the prices were economical. They indicated that it was popular with Argentinians. Sofia even wrote out a little note indicating that I had to order "bife de lomo" and for a starter a "provolete. The place was clearly popular with a typical Buenos Aires type of atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The bife de lomo was tasty, lean, perfectly cooked and the most tender steak I have ever eaten. Although the tenderness was extraordinary, I still can not get over how tasty in was considering how lean.

• kalanialoha's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: Don't miss the Bife de Lomo!

by kalanialoha Written Nov 5, 2006

Big group dinner

I loved the local ambiance of the place. Not fancy, but fun none the less. We even got to listen to a local artist singing a few songs of tango music.

Our waiter was so surly that by the end of our meal, we were clapping when he finally brought one of the guys the steak he thought he had ordered an hour earlier.

The prices are so reasonable here. The tab for our party of 12 was 350 pesos with tip. Amazing that it included the bottles of wine and beer that we had ordered...less than $10 per person.

Favorite Dish: Per Sofi's recommendation, I tried the Bife de lomo. It was fantastic! I'm not really even a meat eater, but this steak was so tender and flavorful that I ate every bite of it.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: Great and cheap

by cjg1 Updated Sep 13, 2006

El Desnivel is a great place. Again it’s a multi-visit place that is cheap and great. It has small tables and some of the walls aren’t in the best of repair. But that doesn’t stop the quick and good service and excellent food. I first came here with Sofia and her cousin with another VT’er I was just meeting. I had actually walked out of Cabana Las Lilas this night to come eat here.

Favorite Dish: Usually have the Bife de Lomo and fries with a large Quilmes. Imagine all this for $10 US. So nice.

• jamief's Profile Photo

Des Neval: THE BEST STEAK!!!

by jamief Written Mar 16, 2006

Do you want a Delicous Tenderloin Steak the size of a car tire? This place is totally awesome and CHEAP! For $7.00 US you can get the biggest and best steak you've ever had with a 1/4 litre casa tinta and a very nice salad. And the quality is great. The owner is a huge guy, that just seems to love his job and he is really quite entertaining and outgoing. It's funny watching him interact with the patrons. He actually started dancing with some older Canadian women as they were leaving.

• maruyelmundo's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: The best parilla of San Telmo

by maruyelmundo Written Jan 1, 2006

The food is good but i don´t know if this is what makes that place so special.. maybe the atmosphere or its identity... it is so typical that i feel like if part of our culture is comming out from there...
    Maybe is not so clean, and not so luxurious as it should, but is just real, you can´t miss it!

Favorite Dish: Mmmmm the meat is good but the best is the dessert!: Budin de pan con mucho dulce de leche!!!

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo

Desnivel: The best meat in town!

by ptitetoile Written Jan 6, 2005

This traditional style restaurant/parrilla is a favourite with both locals and tourist. It pays more attention to the quality food than to style, image and appearance. You get huge portions and quality, well-priced food.
    I was told that there was there the best beef in Buenos Aires. The best piece is the "Bife de Lomo"... for the meat-lover, this is a must!

Favorite Dish: Of course the tender Bife de Lomo(tenderloin)
    But also the empanadas, they are also the best...I ate so much all over the country that you can thrust me!!!!
    And of course, don't forget the flan con dulce de leche ....if you are still hungry!!!!

• Sonador3's Profile Photo

El Desnivel: A Favorite!

by Sonador3 Written May 25, 2004

El Desnivel

Desnivel is hugely popular, and there is no question as to why!! The steaks here are amazing, the prices are dirt-cheap and the atmosphere is vivacious and friendly. I've been here twice, both times with Sofia (sof76) and Thiago (dargains) and both times we leave stuffed and happy.

The deal here is, they don't take reservations, and the word of mouth is so strong that there is always a line. So, take my advice, call Sofia and have her make the arrangements, as they always seem to seat her right away. You'll walk in and to your left is the grill with slabs of meat on the wood chopping block. The chefs are very friendly and you can chat them up. The tables are close together and the dining room is noisy. Waiters talk loud, yell out orders to the bar and generally have fun. Order the Bife de Lomo, chorizo, Provoleta, and arugula salad. They also have wine specials, and both times it was the Norton Malbec DOC for $16pesos. Sweet!

Try not to cry when you see the bill. Unbelievably inexpensive for the food and service. Defiantly a top 3 beef experience.

• Wine Tasting

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Des Nivel Parrilla Restaurante: Meat, & more More Meat

by Hexepatty Updated Sep 22, 2003

Owners gave me an ashtray!

Real Local feel. Not many tourists, if any... Not particularly plush or pleasant to the eye, but it's the FOOD and LOCAL FEEL that attracts, and the PRICE that makes you want to return! Interesting neighborhood too!

Favorite Dish: The Sausage and the Mashed Potatoes and the BEEF!!!! Amazing, and I'm not much of a meat eater, too!

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Disnivel: San Telmos typical Cantina

by cochinjew Written Sep 17, 2003
    inside disnivel

Recommended by our best VT friend in Buenos Aires: Sof
    She had taken some visiting yanks to eat here and they all were impressed.
    I invited a fellow VT and we both were quite impressed with the quality of the meat and the ambience, service and the price.. while some other places may have armani clad waiters whose shoes you are paying for ,this down to earth place had mouth watering steaks and an ambience so typically porteno

Favorite Dish: Bife de Lomo , while Carla had Bife de Chorrizo.
    The wine list is nothing special considering Argentina is a fantastic place to drink wine, but the Red was from Mendoza and drinkable.
    The ambience is so typically buenos aires, people waiting in line to get in especially on weekends..
    A singing waiter to add to the ambience.. reminded me of some of the italian cafes of Carlton in Melbourne

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires

Comments

Hotels Near El Desnivel
3.0 out of 5 stars