El Establo, Buenos Aires

My El Establo buddy
    by Bigmac52
    Holy Lomo
    by cjg1
  • El Establo: Simply the BEST!

by SteevoSF Updated May 9, 2011

The most tender and best tasting grass-fed beef I have ever had...ever! The wait-staff was superb, the spinaca a la crema and papas fritas are a perfect compliment and their chorizo sausages are friggin' amazing...do yourself a favor and have one for an appetizer. Along with a couple bottles of tasty Malbec and then a chilly lemoncello to wrap things up, the only thing left is a nice smooth cuban cigar for the walk home!

• cjg1's Profile Photo

El Establo: Great lunch Lomo

by cjg1 Updated Nov 9, 2009

Holy Lomo

El Establo is one of my favorite lunch places. Always crowded the food and service here is great. I would be willing to say it is one of the best steaks I have eaten in Buenos Aires. The service has always been perfect and we are well taken care of even being remembered from previous trips.

We had dinner here the first night of Cow Do IV. We were seated upstairs since we were such a large group. There were five long tabes pushed together banquet style.

Favorite Dish: Always going with the full sized Bife de Lomo along with some fries and bottle of agua con gas whether or not I’m having wine with my steak I truly enjoy this place.

Liz wasn't all that hungry so she had a pizza. Antoinette and Rich took their meals to go since they were a bit tired. Rob was amazed at the huge portion of meat in front of him but loved his food.

• Bigmac52's Profile Photo

El Establo on Paraguay: Fabulous Food

by Bigmac52 Written Oct 14, 2009

My El Establo buddy

I can't praise this restaurant highly enough.

I've been coming to B.A. on average x2 per year since 2002 and ,whilst I have eaten at a large number of different restaurants, I keep coming back to El Establo time after time.

The waiters and guys behind the bar / parrilla are always welcoming and attentive and willing to try to converse with me in my minescule Spanish.

The food is terrific - great T-Bone / Medallion steaks and steak or chicken Kebabs to die for.

My own preference for a meal is a Chorizo sausage to start, Bife de lomo, Ensalade Mixta. Washed down with a Chopp or Malbec but hey !! each to their own !!!. There are, of course, umpteen other choices of meats, fish etc . There is no doubt though, that the steak is the main event in this restaurant.

I have recommended this restaurant to a large number of people whom I have met on my travels - I don't know whether they enjoyed it as much as me but I'm relatively sure that they would not have been disapointed with their meal.

Favorite Dish: Chorizo Sausage
    T-Bone Steak
    Mixed Salad
    Chopp or Malbec

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

El Establo: El Establo- Parrilla

by sfphototraveller Written Oct 5, 2009

I ordered the Bife de Chorizo 56 Peso and a glass of red wine.
    I orded it med rare. It was good and large portion.
    Lots of locals eat here good service.

Favorite Dish: There is a write up on this on the internet. the site is www.saltshaker.net/restaurant.
    I did not get to eat at SALTSHAKER becuase i wont be here when the are open. just twice a month.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

El Establo: Carnivore heaven

by TheWanderingCamel Updated Sep 11, 2008

It doesn't look much from the outside, and it's tucked away down a quiet side street. Inside it looks as though the clock stopped about 50 years ago, hams hang from a ceiling rack, the tables are rather crowded and the decor is nothing to write home about - but, make no mistake, eat here and you'll eat one of the very best steaks you're going to find in Buenos Aires. El Establo is a traditional Argentinian parilla, a tried and tested favourite and they're not changing their successful formula for any whim of fashion. Be sure to take a look through the window into the kitchen to see the staff at work preparing the superb cuts that will make their way in a constant procession to the tables of the appreciative customers who come back again and again ...and again. MrL makes a point of eating here every time he comes to the city, and he's not alone. Locals love it too.

Italian food is popular in Buenoas Aires and there are several dishes on the menu - but why would you bother. Meat is king at El Establo.

Favorite Dish: Cuts are referred to by local names and may well be unfamiliar. Bife de lomo - fillet, is always the top cut, and the most expensive. Lomito is sirloin. If you like rump steak - ask for cuardril and if T-bone is your favourite, bife de costilla is the one to go for. A very popular cut is bife de chorizo - not a sausage as it is in Spain, but fairly thin cut from the sirloin. Asado means roast - a tira de asado is a serving for two - or even four - of ribs, not a lot of meat on them, but lots of flavour! Parillada para dos is a mixed grill for two - or a small army - a sizzling platter of different cuts with morsels of offal and sausage. There are others, some that have no real equivalent in other traditions of butchering.

Portions are usually huge, but they're happy to do half portions. Unless you're really starving, I'd give the starters a miss.

Your favourite cut of beef, a side order of fried potatoes, a salad or maybe a shared dish of green beans or creamed spinach, a good bottle of red - and all at a price that's about a third of what you'd probably pay at home.

They also make some of the best empanadas in town - just right for lunch or an afternoon snack to tide you over until that lated BA dinner hour.

• El Establo: Excellent food

by Bigmac50 Written Nov 23, 2006

El Establo has recently had a new Bar- B- Que installed which is about twice the size of the old one.
    The restaurant still has, however, not lost the traditional / cosy feel that make it special - even if you are sitting at the Bar area.
    The individuality that has been shown to me over my years of visiting this reastaurant by the dishwashers, cooks, waiters etc makes it very special.
    I cannot say that I have ever had a bad meal in this restaurant whether it was steak, sandwich, Brochette, chorizo. All of these washed down with a Chopp or San Thelmo wine and finished off with a Limone Chello or an expresso makes this restaurant my absolute favourite.

Favorite Dish: Brochette de Sirloin or Bife de Lomo or Medallion de Bife.

The taste is different from steaks in any other country whether it is to do with how the cattle are bred I don't know but they way that I can ask my buddies at the Barbie to re-cook if I feel it is too red in the middle or the way they always ask if it is cooked enough makes for a terrific steak.

• El Establo: Best Bistro, Go for the Steak!

by rt4755 Written Jun 27, 2005

Great place with an old world flavor.

Local favorite, easy going.

The place for lunch or dinner when you are shopping on Florida Street.

Service is friendly and many of the waiters speak some English.

Favorite Dish: All of the steaks here are great but with prices so good go for the best, Bife de Lomo.

Bife de Lomo is huge and about 10 US dollars, throw in another 10 US and you can have a very good bottle of wine.

The most I ever paid here for dinner for two with wine and tip was $US 35.00.

Lunch for two is under $US 15.00, they make great pizza from about $US 4.00 for a small pizza and they have a wonderful selection of sandwiches.

Best yet is they pour you a free drink of their local spirits before dinner and one or two! after.

• WigglesMalibu's Profile Photo

El Establo: The best steakhouse in Bs. As.

by WigglesMalibu Updated Jun 22, 2005

Mmmmm... Cow flesh!

I'm the kind of guy who knows his butchers by name and always finds himself manning the barbie for friends and family. In short I'm very picky about steaks and after trying dozens of restaurants here I believe El Establo is by far the best steakhouse in Bs As.

The meat here is tender, juicy and always cooked to perfection. Its a very traditional restaurant with the decor looking about 30 years old.

Favorite Dish: All the cuts of beef are excellent but if you're really hungry go for the GINORMOUS T-bone. (pictured here) But of course you can never go wrong with the lomo or bife de chorizo (the connoisseurs choice)

The fried calamaria also deserves mention as it is very tender and the portion is huge.

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

El Establo: A great local spot

by ncoutroulis Written Jun 27, 2004
    El Establo

At first glance, you make walk right by El Establo. But that would be a mistake. This is an authentic Argentine Parrilla. The menu is mainly meat, but there is also fish a la plancha, whiich is a commoidity in Argentina, pizza, and much more. The atmosphere is basic, but the food is great, and the service is authentically Argentine, and so arre most of the diners.

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires

Comments

Hotels Near El Establo
2.0 out of 5 stars