El Palacio de La Papa Frita, Buenos Aires

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 7 Reviews

• El Palacio de La Papa Frita
  • El Palacio de La Papa Frita
    by Gypsystravels
  • My bife de chorizo with an egg and pappas souffle
    My bife de chorizo with an egg and...
  • RMARKTRAVEL's Profile Photo

EL PALACIO DE LA PAPA FRITA (fried potato palace): very good food at a very good price

by RMARKTRAVEL Written Apr 26, 2009

There are 3 locations but we always went to the one on Corrientes. The ambience is pleasant but nothing special. The walk here from the Wilton is very interesting and you get to rub elbows with the Portenos and can stop at the park and pass numerous shops and cafes. The food is excellent and we would recommend the menu seminal at 44 pesos per person (About $22 for 2 people). This includes a beverage (we had a glass of wine each night, a generous entre, and desert).

Favorite Dish: There were about 8 or 9 entres on this menu and we were especially impressed with the small steak meal (about 12 ounces that included a small salad and the house special fried potatoes) and the beef scalopine meal. There were also a number of tasty desserts included. We liked this restaurant so much that we had dinner here about 4 nights.

• Seniors

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

El Palacio de la Papa Frita: The "Papas Souffle"

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 24, 2009

My bife de chorizo with an egg and pappas souffle

We had heard so much about this restaurant and its famous "pappas souffle" large fries inflated which are oh so yummy.

On our first day in Buenos Aires after settling into our hotel we decided to take the Subte to Lavelle.

We arrived sometime around 2:30pm and the restaurant was just starting to get busy. We were greeted by a very friendly host/waiter who promptly sat us at a nice table for two. He brought a nice basket of breads and crackers and asked for our drink order. Ferni ordered a Quilmes and I had a "aqua con gas". After giving us a few minutes to look at the menu he walked over and asked us if we knew about their famous "pappas souffle" we immediately told him that is what brought us to the restaurant. He recommended a wonderful combination dish (name escapes me now), which was a large bife de chorizo with an egg on top and the pappas souffle.

As we were enjoying our meal, he walked over and brought us two glasses and served us a "shot" of some type of liquor, I'll have to check my notes for the name.

We had a wonderful experience at this restaurant and would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Buenos Aires.

Favorite Dish: The pappas souffle were excellent and so was the bife de chorizo (including the egg). The steak was cooked perfectly and was so huge that I left half my steak while Ferni finished his.

• El Palacio de La Papa Frita: An Institution

by Roseemery Written Nov 24, 2007

We'd read about this restaurant and stumbled upon it on our first night in Buenos Aires. It was a great introduction to dining out in BA.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the chicken and my husband had a massive steak - don't forget the "papas fritas" - souffle style!

• la_beba's Profile Photo

El Palacio de La Papa Frita: Try the "papas souffle"

by la_beba Written Apr 16, 2006

I can't believe this!
    My aunt told me I should try this place... I went and tried it and took the picture just to show her that I'd gone to it...
    When I was adding another restaurant tip here in VT; I saw that one of the restaurants already selected for the list to choose from, was El Palacio de la Papa Frita!!!!!!
    So, I will add the pictures then! since aparantely, this place is well known or at least, well visited (enough to make it to the ready-made VT list of restaurants in Buenos Aires!)
    The old standby serves hearty traditional meals: succulent steaks, homemade pastas, and fresh salads. The papas souffle (inflated french fries) reign supreme; try them with a suculent lomo or with the classic bife.

• El Palacio de La Papa Frita: Good Beef, Unique French Fries

by jeavery Written Feb 18, 2005

The "Palace" is another excellent "parilla" or beef grill restaurant. It has been reviewed favorably in various internet forums. I just want to add another positive recommendation to the list. Palacio de la Papa Frita is larger than La Brigada and has a great location along a pedestrian shopping street; we went for lunch while shopping. The waiters are skilled and helpful and, while not fluent in English, can communicate adequately.

Many reviews have concentrated on their unique type of french-fried potatoes and deservedly so. But don't stop there! They also serve excellent beef and their large menu is in six languages. The "lomo" or filet mignon was large, tender, and flavorful.

Favorite Dish: On the menu, they are called "souffle", but they look like (very) thick potato chips with air bubbles inside. But they are not potato chip crispy, the consistency is more like a french-fry, except for the air bubble effect.

• Juli_br's Profile Photo

El Palácio das Papas Fritas: meat, meat , meat

by Juli_br Written Apr 28, 2003

The day we went to this restaurant we first tryed to eat at La Estancia, but after waiting 20 minutes for the menu we decided to find another restaurant.
    Luckly we found this one, which is right in front of La Estancia. The food was really, really good

Favorite Dish: bife de lomo

• Luis_Alberto's Profile Photo

I love 'El Palacio de la Papa...

by Luis_Alberto Written Aug 24, 2002

I love 'El Palacio de la Papa Frita', great place for Steaks and French Fries, and they have several outlets, throughout the city. Translation, 'The French Fries Palace'

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires

Comments

Hotels Near El Palacio de La Papa Frita
3.5 out of 5 stars