Freddo, Buenos Aires

Several locations
    Freddo, An Argentine Ice cream chain
    by spidermiss
  • I had Dulce de Leche icecream with a Cafe Latte
    I had Dulce de Leche icecream with a...
    by spidermiss
    Exterior of the shop
    by cjg1

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Freddo: Old Classic

by mircaskirca Updated Sep 7, 2011

One time best ice cream parlor Freddo started as a family business in 1969 with its first shop on Avenida Callao, in the heart of Barrio Norte. It has been serving locals since then. The company was sold in the early nineties and has expanded because of this, but unfortunately it also meant a descent in its quality.

The good news is that Freddo has recently been sold off the corporation and it is again in family hands. Let's hope that this means a better days for Freddo again. The ice cream is still good but their prices don't match the quality, espeially if we compare it with its comopetitiors, Volta (opened in 2002 by original family who started Freddo) and Persicco (

Freddo has numerous shops throughout the city and has even expanded into Uruguay and Paraguay. Aside from the modern interiors and brand new flavours, they have also created a line Kosher and gluten-free ice cream and are even served in Aerolineas Argentinas business class in-flight menu. A great variety of flavours is offered, divided in groups as Chocolats, Creams, Dulce de Leche, Creamy Fruits and Natural Fruits. You have to call 0810 33 for home delivery.

Favorite Dish: During my visit of Buenos Aires I tried many flavours and my favourite were Mousse de Chocolate, Dulce de Leche con Almendros (Dulce de Leche with Almonds) and Frutilla a la Crema (Creamy Strawberry). Yummy!

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Freddo: Ice Cream in Buenos Aires

by cjg1 Updated Jan 5, 2009

We were walking around San Telmo when Liz spotted Freddo. She's a bit of an ice cream lover and had to have some. She and Rob got on line to get some ice cream while Mickey and I stayed outside. It was a pretty busy place, they were in line for about twenty minutes.

Favorite Dish: Liz had a White Chocolate cone which she loved. I had a taste but wasn't thrilled. I stuck to my Vanilla cone. Rob had vanilla as well. The ice cream was good but the cone wasn't great.

Liz's White Chocolate Cone Exterior of the shop Ro and his Vanilla My tongue is frozen.....

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Freddo's, Munchi's: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

by Dabs Updated Apr 3, 2006

Buenos Aires has a large Italian population and so it follows that they have really good gelato. There were three chains that I had read about before leaving, Freddo's, Munchi's and Persicco, so I kept my eyes open for these while walking what seemed like every square inch of Buenos Aires. Volta's is another one I've seen mentioned. If you want to map out locations before you go, look at the websites under sucursales (locations).

We found Freddo's first, located in the basement of the Galerias Pacifico on Calle Florida. The flavors are listed on the board, you can't see them like you could at a Baskin Robbins in the US, so there's a little guess work involved in you aren't fluent in Spanish.

Favorite Dish: Pick out the size first and pay the cashier, then take your receipt and select two flavors. My first attempt was Chocolate Blanco (white chocolate) and Banana con dulche de leche on a waffle cone for 6.50 pesos ($2 US). The first scoop is usually smaller than the 2nd, so order accordingly. We tried Freddo's again the following day, I like the Chocolate Blanco so much I had it again and tried the dulche de leche.

We finally found a Munchi's on our 3rd day in the Shopping Alto Palmero near the Bulnes subte stop, once again I tried the chocolate blanco (not nearly as good as Freddo's, had a grainy texture) and a coco con dulce de leche which was good. David ordered flan con dulche de leche and that one was excellent.

On our last day, we tried a place on Calle Florida near Diagonal Norte which might have been Via Flaminia, FINALLY a place where you could look at the selections. I tried the banana split and the flan, both were excellent.

Munchi's ice cream Freddo's ice cream Freddo's at Galerias Pacifico

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Freddo: Freddo, An Icecream Chain

by spidermiss Updated May 1, 2011

I visited this icecream chain at the Gallerias Pacifico. I ordered a Dulce de Leche icecream and coffee. It was expensive but fully appreciated the quality of the icecream!

Favorite Dish: The icecream was delicious!

Freddo, An Argentine Ice cream chain I had Dulce de Leche icecream with a Cafe Latte

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires