Ice Creams & other nice sweet things, Buenos Aires

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 16 Reviews

My flashy Copacabana Sundae
    by 850prc
    Feeling in awe of the ice cream
    by 850prc
  • Ice Creams & other nice sweet things
    by mircaskirca
  • mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Freddo: Old Classic

by mircaskirca Updated Sep 7, 2011

One time best ice cream parlor Freddo started as a family business in 1969 with its first shop on Avenida Callao, in the heart of Barrio Norte. It has been serving locals since then. The company was sold in the early nineties and has expanded because of this, but unfortunately it also meant a descent in its quality.

The good news is that Freddo has recently been sold off the corporation and it is again in family hands. Let's hope that this means a better days for Freddo again. The ice cream is still good but their prices don't match the quality, espeially if we compare it with its comopetitiors, Volta (opened in 2002 by original family who started Freddo) and Persicco (www.persicco.com).

Freddo has numerous shops throughout the city and has even expanded into Uruguay and Paraguay. Aside from the modern interiors and brand new flavours, they have also created a line Kosher and gluten-free ice cream and are even served in Aerolineas Argentinas business class in-flight menu. A great variety of flavours is offered, divided in groups as Chocolats, Creams, Dulce de Leche, Creamy Fruits and Natural Fruits. You have to call 0810 33 for home delivery.

Favorite Dish: During my visit of Buenos Aires I tried many flavours and my favourite were Mousse de Chocolate, Dulce de Leche con Almendros (Dulce de Leche with Almonds) and Frutilla a la Crema (Creamy Strawberry). Yummy!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Un' Altra Volta: Un' Altra Volta - Icy Heaven of Buenos Aires

by mircaskirca Updated Sep 7, 2011

In 2002 opened Un' Ultra Volta is a space where tradition is combined with creativity with an aim to offer the amplest quality and, at the same time, to satisfy the most varied pleasures. The customers can choose from the exclusive ice cream, handmade chocolates and pastries to the best Italian style espresso coffee, all made of carefully selected ingredients. The gleaming white and chrome layout makes it seam both futuristic and inviting.

Un' Ultra Volta is a family tradition, which has been perfected over the past 30 years, to obtain a genuine product of delicate consistency and pleasant taste. Flavours are divided into groups: Chocolats, Traditional Creams, Dulce de Leche, Fruits, Genuine and Volta Ligth; each of them contains a wide variety of the finest flavours. The counter staff happily let you have a taste of different ones if you ask. This is certainly the best quality ice cream I have tried in Buenos Aires, the city where the ice cream is some of the best in the world, due to the strong Italian influence.

One thing that is also amazing. You can have ice cream delivered to your apartment while in BsAs. It comes packed with dry ice. I think this is fantastic! For delivery, call free phone number 0810 88 86582. They speak English.

The place is open Sun-Thu 8am-2am, Fri 8am-3am and Sat 8am-4am.

Favorite Dish: Each time I tried some new flavours and all of them were wonderfully intense. But somehow, my favourite were Dulce de Leche Volta (with almonds and hazelnuts covered caramel), Chocolate Amargo (dark chocolate), Marron Glace and Mango. Just heavenly!

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Diechi Heladeria and Cafeteria: We ALL scream for ICE CREAM

by 850prc Updated Aug 7, 2011

My flashy Copacabana Sundae

There's nothing like a fine ice cream sundae on a warm afternoon. We found frozen greatness during our short stay in Buenos Aires at a place called Diechi. A fairly simple little joint, it reminded me so much of the little cafes you'll find in Austria and Germany where you can get a light meal or a scrumptious ice cream sundae or frappe.

Favorite Dish: Bonnie and Sara split a huge banana split. It was traditional in many ways, but had a nice additional flair to it - a few extra fruits and the like.

I had a "copacabana", a stunning spectacle designed to look like a copa dancer's headpiece. Among the treasures in the mix were several types of ice cream, fresh kiwi, pineapple, bananas, peaches, chocolate syrup and crumbles, fresh whipped cream, nuts and a freshly prepared crispy waffle. Muy bueno.

If you happen on Diechi in Buenos Aires (I'll put directions, from Recoleta Cemetary, down below), stop in for some coffee and a great ice cream treat.)

Directions to Diechi...
    Head SE from Recoleta Cemetary on Guido, approx 6 blocks, and then bear slightly right onto Taichahuano. Continue two more blocks and go left on Avenue Sante Fe. It's on the left side of the Av Sante Fe.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Duero: An afternoon coffee and cake

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 9, 2009

My cafe con leche

Located on Avenida Santa Fe not too far from our hotel was this restaurant, which was always crowded. We passed this place every single time we would use the Subte to and from our hotel, so we knew at some point we wanted to stop in and have a coffee and dessert.

We were doing some shopping on Santa Fe and decided to stop in and treat ourselves to a quick coffee and dessert. The restaurant is very nice, with an open spacious dinning area, dark wood furniture and a smoking section for all those smokers.

We walked in and sat ourselves at a small table near the door so we can do some people watching. We checked out the menu which had all sorts of yummy dishes, but we were here for a quick snack to tie us over til dinner later that evening.

Favorite Dish: We each had a "cafe con leche" and we shared the rasberry brownie, which was so, so good!

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Confeteria Santa Paula: I felt like a kid in a candy store :)

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 24, 2009

What a place. We were walking along Scalabrini Ortiz on our way to the Subte when I spotted the yummy looking assortment of cookies and sweets. We decided to walk in and see what we can find and we were so happy we did.

The bakery was buzzing with people placing their orders. They have a very large selection of cookies and assorted sweets, cakes and even empanadas.

We grabbed a bag and started going through the display cases ordering a few of almost everything.

Favorite Dish: Wonderful cookies and assorted sweets.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

El Olmo: Coffee break while waiting for the rain to stop

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 24, 2009

We were just making our way back to the hotel when we got caught in a torrential downpour. There was absolutely no place to go but in here to wait out the rain, so we decided to make the best of it and order a coffee and a treat.

The restaurant was quite nice actually and had a very large extensive menu, we found a table near a window and sat ourselves to wait for the waiter to come over. The waiter brought us a menu, which we perused but decided to share a piece of pie with our coffees.

Favorite Dish: We each had a cup of "cafe con leche" and shared the apple pie while we waited for the rain to pass.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Havanna: Alfajores

by Dabs Written Apr 3, 2006

People in Buenos Aires must eat tons of alfajores, two cookies with dulce de leche in between two biscuits, there are Havanna shops selling these confections all over Buenos Aires and also sell them prepackaged in supermarkets.

We brought home a box as a gift for my mother in law, my sister in law took one bite and crinkled her nose, too sweet she said. So I finished it off for her, too sweet doesn't exist in my world LOL

I also tried one of their coconut cookies sold in a triangular wrapper, this was just like a macroon and I wasn't crazy about it.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Freddo's, Munchi's: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

by Dabs Updated Apr 3, 2006

Munchi's ice cream

Buenos Aires has a large Italian population and so it follows that they have really good gelato. There were three chains that I had read about before leaving, Freddo's, Munchi's and Persicco, so I kept my eyes open for these while walking what seemed like every square inch of Buenos Aires. Volta's is another one I've seen mentioned. If you want to map out locations before you go, look at the websites under sucursales (locations).

We found Freddo's first, located in the basement of the Galerias Pacifico on Calle Florida. The flavors are listed on the board, you can't see them like you could at a Baskin Robbins in the US, so there's a little guess work involved in you aren't fluent in Spanish.

Favorite Dish: Pick out the size first and pay the cashier, then take your receipt and select two flavors. My first attempt was Chocolate Blanco (white chocolate) and Banana con dulche de leche on a waffle cone for 6.50 pesos ($2 US). The first scoop is usually smaller than the 2nd, so order accordingly. We tried Freddo's again the following day, I like the Chocolate Blanco so much I had it again and tried the dulche de leche.

We finally found a Munchi's on our 3rd day in the Shopping Alto Palmero near the Bulnes subte stop, once again I tried the chocolate blanco (not nearly as good as Freddo's, had a grainy texture) and a coco con dulce de leche which was good. David ordered flan con dulche de leche and that one was excellent.

On our last day, we tried a place on Calle Florida near Diagonal Norte which might have been Via Flaminia, FINALLY a place where you could look at the selections. I tried the banana split and the flan, both were excellent.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo

FREDDO: BEST ICECREAM IN THE WORLD

by RafaelTheSecond Written Oct 5, 2005

An Icecream world!

Mate, if you like iceacream, reddo is your heaven!!! the stores can be find in the main spots of the city, this one was taken in San isidro, and of course I had one tasty and very very yummy DULCE DE LECHE icecream!

Very cheap, less than 2 dollars you can have a huge icecream in your hand!

I am far too get to know all the icecreams in the world, but this one...gosh, it is professional!

Sept - FIRST WEEK - 2005

• esmerkingsland's Profile Photo

Havana Coffee shop: Not to miss coffee and havanettes

by esmerkingsland Written Aug 29, 2005

They serve good coffee and snacks, simple decor, clean surroundings.

Favorite Dish: The chocolate havanette with dulce de leche is so yummy. Try the other flavors too, and try to bring home a dulce de leche jam or havanettes back home.

• Study Abroad
    • Women's Travel

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo

Freddo: Talk about good icecreams!!!

by IIGUANA Written Jul 31, 2005

I'm an ice cream addict. I've got to say it. I've tried ice creams around the globe, and next to Rome's amazing flavors, Buenos Aires's Freddo are amongst the best. And if I'm telling you this, believe me. I'm to ice creams what sommeliers are to wine.

Favorite Dish: Do try the chocolate with dulce de leche ice cream. Or the strawberry sorbet. Oh man, they're all great!!!

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo

Freddo: Talk about good ice creams!!!

by IIGUANA Written Jul 31, 2005

• Shakermaker's Profile Photo

Volta: Ice creams

by Shakermaker Written Mar 1, 2005

Volta is not a restaurant. Here they serve ice creams of very good quality ( I'd say some of the best in Buenos Aires), coffee, cakes and other deserts. The place is modern and placed over one of the greatest avenues in the city.

• Maillekeul's Profile Photo

Via Palermo: Great ice-creams !! Superbonnes glaces !!

by Maillekeul Written Jan 6, 2004

Good ice-creams, well, how can I explain how good they were... I know ! I leave a tip here, and you go there to taste them !!

Bonnes glaces, mais, je sais pas comment les decrire : ok, je laisse le tuyau, vous y allez et vous saurez le faire mieux que moi !

Favorite Dish: Everyone !!

Toutes !!!

• Havanna: Yummmm! Alfajores!

by missbutler Written Aug 28, 2003

This is a chain of shops that sell what seems to be Argentina's most popular brand of alfajores (dulce de leche sandwich cookie covered in a merengue glaze or chocolate). Make sure you drop in an try one on your first day... you'll be mad if you spend one afternoon in Buenos Aires without this little treat.

Favorite Dish: Beside alfajores, Havanna sells other wonderful sweets -- my favorite are barritas --little squares of firm dulce de leche covered in chocolate

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires