Kaiseki Sushi, Buenos Aires

5 out of 5 stars 1 Reviews

Thames 2354 +54 11 4771-4357

• Kaiseki Sushi: Best wagyu in all of Buenos Aires

by theabsolutnorm Written Aug 27, 2010

Move over Osaka! There`s a new sushi house in town and it`s called Kaiseki Sushi. Found near the Corner of Thames and Goemes, this japanese restaurant in unpretentious, cozy, classy and dare I say it, authentic. They are also highly knowledgeable too. Kaiseki is the only restaurant in Buenos Aires to have a cooking staff comprised solely of japanese nationals (that means that they were trained in japan and then hired to come over here). They are also the only Japanese restaurant in all of BA to serve certified Wagyu. Now if you`re part of the uninitiated you most likely know this meat as `Kobe beef`. Just to clear some stuff up, Kobe is the name of the island in Japan where the cattle originally came from. Wagyu is the type of beef or species of beef.

They have a wide assortment of unpretentious sushi`s and sashimi`s.

We started of the night with a mini sampler of classic japanese appetizers. There was chicken teriyaki, tamago, chilled tofu, salmon terriyaki, cold noodles, etc. All in one bite-sized pieces. Then we had a ten piece sashimi appetizer. Comprised of salmon delicately prepared and garnished perfectly with a sliver of chive and ginger on each piece. It was slightly cooked, presumably through the process of drizzling heated oil mixed with soy sauce on top of it. It was sublime.

Then the piece de resistance came out. The order of wagyu beef. I will write more about this is in the next section.

Our server Max was very knowledgeable and spoke good english so as to help us feel more at ease. He gladly showed us the brochure catalogue for the purveyor of their wagyu. To show us that it is indeed 100% certified wagyu, hell he even showed us the cow we will be consuming, which brings a smile to my face being a bit of a foodie. Nonetheless, the evening could not have gone better, he recommended we share an order of the 220 peso wagyu as it is big enough for two. He didn`t try to up-sell us, when he just as easily could have. Another point for them.

We had to decline desserts as the richness of the wagyu was a bit too much for me to handle, but we will definitely eat at Kaiseki again before we leave BA. It is not the cheapest food but I would gladly pay for this again and again, as it is at least cheaper than most big cities (i.e. New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Miami and San Francisco) by at least 20-30% And if they are still up and running whenever we come back (which I hope to God that they will be), then we will eat here again.

Favorite Dish: So the Wagyu...it was heavenly. Cooked to absolute perfection, medium-rare, but you gotta tell them that because apparently Argentinians like their meat a bit more tougher, so they automatically default to medium.

The meat was everything I could have asked for in a cut of Wagyu. Tender, moist, succulent to the max, and the fat.....oh the fat. It was like I was eating angels in beef form. It was rested perfectly, a trait that isn`t shared by the meat at most parilla`s. It was perfectly seasoned, another trait not shared by parilla meat. It lay on top of a oriental medley of vegetables, but seriously i didn`t take much note of that. It was all about the meat that night and Kaiseki delivered in spades.

As I mentioned before the food is unpretentious and can be described as almost neo-traditional with a couple classical remixes of rolls and sushi here and there, but it is definitely the new big-kid on the block and I wish it all the best in its success.

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires