La Estancia, Buenos Aires

• DAO's Profile Photo

LA ESTANCIA: THE REAL GAUCHO PLACE

by DAO Updated Oct 13, 2012

LA ESTANCIA

The wonderful people who work here serve your steaks on a coal fired grill - on your own table. Order a little on the rare side and just let it cook for a while on your table. Argentine restaurants have the biggest, juiciest steaks on the planet. La Estancia is probably the best steak house in Argentina. One steak is probably enough to fill up 2 people. You can watch the chefs prepare your meat and/or fish in the window and you get to enjoy their absolutely wonderful creations. It’s always busy here, but there are always tables and plenty of room. A real dinning pleasure for carnivores. La Estancia has been feeding people very well for over 50 years (since 1962).

They also serve delicious fresh salads and have a fantastic wine list. Everything is good here! Everything.

They have a great Tango & Folklore Show every night except Sunday with a set meal.

Please feel free to add this to your "Custom Travel Guide" and print it off before you go!

I have eaten here twice, in different years, and they are always fantastic.

Favorite Dish:

Steak! Any steak!

• Robertcca's Profile Photo

La Estancia: Fantastic service, spectacular food!

by Robertcca Written Sep 26, 2011

I always come here for the steaks and a cold Quilmes. Want a great piece of meat at a fair price, then La Estancia the place to experience.. Located in the capital on Lavalle st. (pronounced "Le Vache") Order the executive meal and get a meat empanada, a salad, bread, T-Bone steak a soda or a 1/2 bottle of Argentinian wine. For desert you have your choice of fruit cocktail or ice cream and a cafe'..... All for 85 pesos or $20.00 USD..............Need I say more?

Favorite Dish: All the different meats and the way they're prepared.

• Business Travel

• lpu97al's Profile Photo

La Estancia: Tourist trap!

by lpu97al Written Nov 23, 2009

Just had my first Argentine asado experience and boy was I disappointed! Went with some Argentine friends who hadn't been there in years and we all agreed that the quality of the meat and service was below par! We ordered the "matambrito" which was like eating the sole of your shoe and as dry as Patagonia.. . Told the waiter and he only turned around in disgust saying that it was good.. Don't reccomend going here when there are so many good restaurants in Buenos Aires to chose from.. This is the typical tourist trap located in the decadent Lavalle pedestrian street.. Skip this restaurant and the street in general unless you're going out for a late night movie!

Favorite Dish: Had a terrible experience so I don't have a favorite!

• La Estancia: Cuidado (Watch it!) turistas!!!

by hectormaskin Written Feb 18, 2008

Fuimos con un amigo americano. Por empezar, el salon de arriba sale mas caro. ES MENTIRA que sale igual que abajo. Al momento de pagar, el mozo (un señor muy anciano) EXIGIO propina diciendo TIP! TIP! todo el tiempo. No se fue hasta que no le dimos la propina en la mano a pesar que te cobran el servicio de mesa aparte. Muy desagradable!!!
    We went with an american friend. Upstairs is much more expensive than downstairs. Then the maitre didnt leave until we give him his tip and he asked for a lot of money because myfriend was not argentine. Tourists, Watch out!!!

• La Estancia: Horrible

by skydance Written May 22, 2005

I have been going to Argentina once a week for many years. This restaurant many years ago was good. Now, the food is horrible, the service is terrible and the waiters are arragant. The place is run down but some of the other places in the area are good. The best is Las Lilas. They have their own steak that is sold in the grocery stores and it is the best in Argentina. Forgot to mention that for the price Estancia is rediculous. I even tried the local fish there and couldn't eat it because of the bones and that it was overdone. I asked them to take it off of the bill and I thought they were going to spit at me. We were a party of 11.

Favorite Dish: Salad is good.

• melosh's Profile Photo

La Estancia: The best steakhouse in Buenos Aires?

by melosh Written Mar 18, 2005

La Estancia, the restaurant advertises

When I was flying into BA an Argentinian rancher sitting next to me recommended "La Estancia" on Florida street. I do not know if it is the best, but I have never had better. When the waiter noticed that my friend did not speak Spanish he went and brought out a tray of raw meat. I translated for my friend that he wanted "some of the tenderloin". I ordered some of the Estancia especial. Then we made the mistake of ordering salads. Maybe if we had not eaten the salads or any bread we could have finished our plates of delicious meat. We ate too much trying.

Favorite Dish: The meat, of course. The rancher warned me against eating chicken or pork explaining that they were manufactured and that only the Argentinian beef was grown without chemicals on natural grass and therefore would not cause hardening of the arteries. When it tastes so good, who cares if this is true or not?

• rosie235's Profile Photo

La Estancia: Traditional Argentinian restaurant

by rosie235 Written Dec 27, 2004

As you walk into this restaurant you are greeted by a "gaucho" complete with traditional dress. The grill was there at the front of house too with the meat splayed on metal stakes surrounding a fire.

Favorite Dish: We Had the mixed grill or Pariga / asado. MMMMM.... so incredibly yummy and so very tender. I believe this restaurant was very popular with the locals aswell as tourists and had been operating for more than 30 years when we were there. Ihope it is still there becuase if it is, Then it is well worth a visit.

• ets's Profile Photo

La Estancia: A unique barbecue experience!

by ets Updated Oct 6, 2004

only in Argentina!

The meat, either a side of beef, a whole lamb or goat, is grilled in an open pit inside a window display to attract pedestrians.

Favorite Dish: The tender and juicy bife de chorizo or NY cut was so huge, I had to take half of it back to my hotel! I finished the bottle of excellent Argentine wine though.

• goshawk301's Profile Photo

La Estancia: Good Steak, Nice Atmosphere, Fun Entertainment

by goshawk301 Updated Jan 16, 2004

There's something nice about being served by an elderly waiter in black and white - not the stereotypical snobby one in a French restaurant, but someone friendly, who takes an obvious pride in his establishment and pleasure in serving people.

Such was the waiter who helped us at La Estancia, a very enjoyable steakhouse on Lavalle Street just off of the Republican Square. We sat in an oblong dining room upstairs with a performance stage on one end. I had great-tasting, lean Argentine bife de chorizo (no need to worry about mad cows here) and a nice glass of local red, and as we ate we were entertained by a charming, lively troupe of folk dancers and musicians on stage. The emcee called out to the audience and asked where they were from, and as people responded ("Uruguay!" "Brazil!") we cheered and applauded.

An excellent, friendly and delicious experience.

• rosie235's Profile Photo

La Estancia: the Gaucho at La Estancia

by rosie235 Written Dec 27, 2004

the Gaucho gives a very authentic feel to this restaurant. He did however look quite menacing with his big knife and scowl on his face.

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires

Comments

Hotels Near La Estancia
3.0 out of 5 stars