Local Eating, Buenos Aires

by xaver
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Plaza del Carmen: Chain restaurant in Palermo

by Dabs Written Apr 10, 2006

We were heading back from the Botanical Garden in Palmero (where there are supposedly tons of good places to eat) but we wanted to stick to the street that the subway ran under so we said the first place that looked decent would be where we ate....

Favorite Dish: Surprisingly there were very few restaurants on _________ , when we got to Plaza del Carmen, we looked at the menu and said "well, this will do". The food was actually pretty good for the rather corporate chain look to the place. We ordered a few empanadas and a plate of fried calamari and after a few hand gestures even got the waiter to bring us some ketchup and mayo that we mixed together to get something resembling cocktail sauce. Both were pretty good

• sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

Any restaurant: Beef Beef Beeeeef!

by sabrina_florida Written Jan 4, 2006

I can't talk about just one place when it comes to meat. Of course some places may give you more greasy portions, but all in all you won't be dissapointed. So just look for the word "Parrilla" or "Parrillada" and go in.
    Please, don't always go for the steak... try new cuts! Ask the waiter for advice. In most places you can get what we call Parrillada, that is ribs, sausages, black sausages, kydneys, and all the organs that you can think of!

Asado

• xaver's Profile Photo

Sandwicheria: If you like sandwiches...

by xaver Written Apr 28, 2013

Sandwiches have probably been the greatest surprise of my trip in Argentina. This happened for two main reasons: I am a sandwich lover and the second one: they were one of the few cheap food you could get. It's plenty of "sandwicheria" around the town and here you find many kind of fresh made sandwiches. They are made with a very soft bread which I never tried before. My favourite ones were the classic hamon y queso (ham and cheese) and the primavera one.

sandwiches

• clmetal's Profile Photo

General tips about eating in Buenos Aires: Eat by the water

by clmetal Updated Feb 14, 2006

The best restaurants we found were on the water. Service and food were excellent, while the prices are shockingly LOW. We were downing wine and eating away. Waiters in tuxes. Probably around $25 per person total (many times cheaper than something comparable in the US.

Behind the water was another strip of restaurants that also appeared to be very good

My 2nd & 3rd pictures are random; nothing to do with their restaurants

• DPando's Profile Photo

Meat: Retiro's restaurant

by DPando Written May 2, 2006

I went looking for a restaurant through Plaza San Martin to Retiro square where there are subway, train and omnibus station....the place once inside was magnificient!! tall ceilings with so much glamour and both tcatter and meal was more than excellent and all paying a "ridiculous" price !!
    The mostly common time to have lunch is around 13 and 14h

• marcelo15's Profile Photo

restaurant: FAST FOOD...

by marcelo15 Updated Mar 23, 2006

When i stayed in buenos aires sometimes i just wanted to eat something light and fast.
    This is more than a restaurant is a snack. where you can get so many kind of sandwiches and so interesting sodas..(like my picture) and the mos important thing that the prices are ok. i really recommend you to have a sandwich here.

Favorite Dish: Milaneza de pollo...it was definitely my favourite one.

the entrance of the restaurant my favourite soda

• nattybabe's Profile Photo

General tips about eating in Buenos Aires: Huge Steak!!

by nattybabe Written Sep 5, 2006

I have to say that the steak we had in Buenos Aires was second to none and coming from Australia that’s a big statement!! Argentina specialises in beef and you will be hard pressed to find better steak (and leather) anywhere else in the world.

You will find good steak restaurants all over the city but we found a fantastic steak house down on the waterside that we fell in love with. Be aware though that when you order you are just ordering the steak (which is HUGE), any side dishes will have to be ordered separately. Enjoy!!

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

El Globo, El Hispano, La Imparcial: Buenos Aires' Spanish quarter

by trvlrtom Written Aug 7, 2007

Buenos Aires' old Spanish neighborhood has several old, classic restaurants to discover. I tried two of them, El Globo and El Hispano, and liked them both. What you can expect here is decent food at reasonable prices in an unpretentious, old world style restaurant. I think I was the only non-local present during both visits, even though they were busy with customers. I felt like I went into a time machine, back a few decades. El Globo has been around for 100 years, and El Hispano, the youngster, for about 50.

Menu items include traditional food from Spain such as paella, with several meat and seafood offerings. Service was efficient.

El Globo, at Salta y Hipolito Yrigoyen El Hispano, on Libertad
    • Architecture

• shavy's Profile Photo

Tenedor Libre Buffet: Eat all you can

by shavy Updated Jan 19, 2014

It’s more like grab a fork and eat all you can! Tenedor Libre is an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant, usually serving at lunch time from 11 am to 3 pm or so. Others may serve in the evening as well

They are usually easy to find with a sign posted on the window “Tenedor Libre” or posted outside
    The buffet will include grilled meats (normally chicken and beef plus chorizo), huge salad bar with all the fixings you could ask for, hot vegetable dishes, potatoes and possibly a noodle dish

Favorite Dish: The parilla (grilled meat) is something I have never seen prepared in Belgium inside the restaurant

His enjoying his parilla

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Outside Cafe: Great for People Watching

by easterntrekker Updated Oct 22, 2010

This is a cool place in Palermo Soho with tons of outdoor tables. Considering how packed they were ,service was friendly and good. We had a wonderful chicken raviolli with a pesto/walnut sauce .Delicious . prices are good too at aboout 22 pesos each.

• Business Travel
    • Seniors

• RiinaK's Profile Photo

Different restaurants in BA: Restaurant street in Posadas

by RiinaK Written May 20, 2006

The dining options in Buenos Aires are enless and the food is just so good. Even though main courses usually consist of an asado, a barbecue of excellent quality beef, I did not try it and sticked to seafood. We had dinners in different restaurants during our stay, but my favourites were in the street of Posada. One restaurant was called Bond / excellent service/ the other I enjoyed situates just next to Bond restaurant /unfortunately I cannot remember the name/, but I loved this place so much that we went there several times. The pics are also from that restaurant. Dining out in BA is not expensive and is very good value for money.

Favorite Dish: Definitely seafood is my favourite, but chocolate cake there is also great. Am still trying to make something similar at home but have not found the right recipe yet :) I bet I have to go back.

• sof76's Profile Photo

General tips about eating in Buenos Aires: Restorando

by sof76 Written Sep 22, 2014

Buenos Aires has AMAZING restaurantes, although a lot of them are just for tourists regarding the prices... they are really expensive!!! Ask a local for normal places or check for restaurants at restorando.com, they book for you online and in many cases they provide a nices discount. I've used it at least 5 time and was perfect!

Buenos Aires tiene restaurants increibles, aunque muchos de ellos solo son para turistas en cuanto al precio... son realmente caros. Preguntenle a algun local o bien chequeen restaurants en restorando.com, en esa pagina se puede reservar online y generalmente ofrecen buenos descuentos. Lo use varias veces y siempre fue perfecto!

• Bokado's: Best, Cheapest Lunch Ever

by Roseemery Updated Nov 25, 2007

We were just exploring Palermo and were getting hungry. As there seem to be 4 restaurants at every intersection, we didn't have a problem finding somewhere and we glad that we chose Bokado's. There was a set lunch menu - choice of 5 main courses + desserts for 16pesos (approx $5!). You can't do much better than that and the food was outstanding.

Favorite Dish: Milanese for my husband and an incredible Chicken Portuguese for me. Flan for dessert (of course!)

• Arenales: Good and cheap food

by elderc Written Nov 11, 2006

That's a great and cheap restaurant in the corner of streets Arenales and Libertad, near the Nueve de Julio. They have lunch menus for a fixed price and a good service. I recommend it for that day when you're coming back to downtown from a little walk in Recoleta.

• benazer's Profile Photo

General tips about eating in Buenos Aires: Do not miss the fresh charcoal steak with chips.

by benazer Written Mar 21, 2006

Best steak and chips I ever had,with a glass of perfect wine.
    The price was unbelivebly low.

Favorite Dish: Steak ofcourse,perfectly done,and a very good service,friendly waiteresses..

My dinner on saturday night.

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires