Places to eat in Buenos Aires

The restaurant
    The tango musicians

Most Viewed Restaurants in Buenos Aires

• sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

El amanecer de Carlitos (best place in BA): Pancakes by an icon!

by sabrina_florida Updated Mar 18, 2012

This place is by far the best, nobody would disagree with me here, believe me.
    The story is this: there's a seaside resort in Buenos Aires called Villa Gesell (part of my summer memories from childhood come from there) where Carlitos (the owner of this place) started his business many many years ago. At the beginning the place was called "Carlitos" but some years later his brother, I think, opened a pancake place with the same name AND using the SAME recipe (bastard!!!!) so Carlitos changed the name of the place and called it "El amanecer de Carlitos". Why? 'Cos "El amanecer" is the brand of milk he uses to make the pancakes. In Buenos Aires there are pancakes places called Carlitos, so be careful! that's the competition!
    Now when you go to the one in V. Gesell or sometimes the one on Libertador ave. you will see Carlitos, a small old man ALWAYS wearing a red sailor hat. He's always either peeling potatoes or making pancakes
    Update: Unfortunately Carlitos died in 2010. Since then his children have opened many more El Amanecer de Carlitos restaurants in different parts of the city.

Favorite Dish: Well, there are more than 100 combinations of pancakes (salty and sweet ones).
    Also you can eat hamburgers and fries. But make sure you have a dulce de leche pancake, if not you will never be able to say you've been there! That's THE one to eat. And if it's "quemado al rum"... much better!
    I would kill to get the recipe for the dough, it's so soft and foamy!!!

Carlitos and us!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

QUILMES CERVECCERIA: Un super tanque, por favor!

by mtncorg Written Dec 14, 2004

This huge brewpub is way out in the suburbs, halfway to La Plata – in Quilmes, to be exact. The brewpub lies with the grounds of a large park and serves up Quilmes in crystal – pilsener – and bock – dark beer – forms. Quilmes is the largest Argentine brewer and a tanque of crystal on a hot, humid day can be a welcome event. Music and food are also provided late into the night.

Favorite Dish: Una crystal, por favor.

Inside the brewpub at Quilmes
    • Beer Tasting

La Bourgogne: Alvear Palace's French restaurant

by vtnyc Updated Apr 4, 2011

Travel and Leisure rated La Bourgogne the number one restaurant in South America (9/02). Wine Spectator gave it the distinction of being one of the "Best Restaurants in the World for Wine Lovers." (11/02 and 9/03). Latin Trade magazine said it was the best restaurant for executives (2/03).

La Bourgogne is Latin America's only Relais Gourmand restaurant. What does that mean? It's an exclusive membership. There are only 154 Relais Gourmand restaurants worldwide. Only 77 are part of a hotel. New York City only has 2 Relais Gourmand chefs, Paris 4, and London has none. This place just gives Buenos Aires another reason to be one of the great cities of the world.

The kitchen's fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs, and spices all come from executive chef Jean Paul Bondoux's private farm.

An incredible dinner and an even more incredible desert!

Favorite Dish: Lomo sauteed in flaming cognac.

lkdahl enjoys the presentation...

Faena Hotel's Restaurant: EL BISTRO: Puerto Madero Pomp

by vtnyc Updated Mar 18, 2005

A person customarily opened the door for me when I walked in the front door, instead of having the usual ONE greeter at the door, Faena had FOUR. All four of them said, "Buenos Noches!" This was the night investors in Faena were staying the night. (guess they thought I was one)he, he

Then a beautiful brunette escorted me down the hall to the restaurant on the right. She introduced me to the hostess who proceeded to walk me to my table.

I can't say the Feng Shui dynamics of the tables here are good though. They have huge white unicorns sitting above each table. But they did give good positive energy to the center of the room which with a huge fresh rose boquet.

I opted for the salad mix which was 23 pesos. Very good. Then I ordered the lomo de ciervo, which was tasty, but outdone by the ambiance. In other words, I had better Lomo other places. This dish was basically a cut of Lomo well centered on a round plate with mashed potatos and gravy artistically encircling the meat. More art than flavor.

The desert (postre) however, left nothing to be imagined. It was out of this world. When they delivered my postre choco (25 pesos) on about a 2 foot by 6 inch rectangular plate, with 6 chocolate delicacies beautifully placed on the plate, it instantly formed a powerful presence at my table.

Before my dessert arrived, I thought I'd ask the sommelier for a wine recommendation. After all, Argentina is famous for good wine and I wanted a great bottle to take back home. Well, the sommelier had more ambitious plans for me. He escorted me downstairs, to Faena's private wine cellar.

WIthin minutes I found myself in a humidity and temperature controlled chamber greeeted by a very long and dark wood dining table.

The room was candlelit, with about 20 steel cabinets housing wine bottles up to about 14 feet
    in height. So the sommelier took out a few bottles and started to explain rare wine characteritics to me. I wound up buying a bottle of Matices de Abril Malbec, of which only 4,000 bottles were made.

Favorite Dish: The postre choco!

Bereber: Palermo Soho's Best Middle Eastern Food

by vtnyc Written Mar 20, 2005

Bereber is situated across the street from Plaza Palermo Viejo. When you walk in, to the immediate right is a lounge. The lounge is shaped like a horseshoe and you can sit on the floor in real middle eastern style here. There's a high demand for seating here as I was early for dinner at 8:30 p.m. and all the fun lounge seats were already taken. Great place to take a date for drinks. They have a roof top garden here as well. I didn't check it out, but I'd guess it could give a nice view of the park.

I didn't see anyone smoking from any hookah pipes here, but it wouldn't surprise me if they rolled out hookahs as an additional "menu" item here.

The food was great. There is a small 2 peso cover charge at dinner for each person. Minutes after sitting you will be welcomed with a small bowl filled with hummous and small triangles of oven baked pita arranged circularly around the hummous.

After being in Argentina for a couple of weeks, I felt deprived of my need to indulge my "spicy" tooth. So I ordered their spicy "Kouaira." I think I ate the whole plate in about 8 bites, but each small piece of meat was savored fully.

For an entree I ordered the Habra. It was lamb doused in coriander pesto sauce and was delicious.

cover 2 pesos
    appetizer 11 pesos
    entree 25 pesos
    mixed drink 10 pesos
    bottled water 2 pesos

Favorite Dish: Caipirinha--for 10 pesos. They were the most delicious caipirinha's I had the whole time in BA. They balanced just the right amount of Cachaca, sugar, and fresh squeezed lime juice.

The spicy Kouaira. I didn't feel like going to Belgrano's China town for spicy food, or going to El Trapiche to get their spicy chimichurri, so this did the trick.

bereber by day

• MeZuGa's Profile Photo

San babila: Comida Italiana

by MeZuGa Written Aug 24, 2004

Un hermoso restaurante ubicado en el prestigioso barrio de la Recoleta.
    Si desea conocer el verdadero "spaghetti", un "risotto" con hongos "Porcino" (Di Borgotaro), a la milanese con Azafrán. Si desea beber un Chianti de las colinas Toscana o un Frascati, si desea condimentar su ensalada con un buen "aceite de oliva extra virgen", gustar una verdadera "bruschetta", probar el perfume de la albahaca sobre una exquisita "mozzarella", si desea quitarse cualquier tipo de antojo culinario sin engordar, siguiendo la "Dieta Mediterránea", venga a encontrarme.
    A beautiful restaurant located in the noted neighborhood of the Recoleta.
    If he/she wants to know the true "spaghetti", a "risotto" with "Swinish" mushrooms (I gave Borgotaro), to the milanese with Saffron. If he/she wants to drink a Chianti of the Tuscan hills or a Frascati, if he/she wants to season their salad with a good "oil of olive extra virgin", to like a true "bruschetta", to prove the perfume of the basil on an exquisite "mozzarella", if he/she wants to take off any type of culinary whim without putting on weight, following the Mediterranean" "Diet, he/she comes to be.

Favorite Dish: Ravioli di spinaci
    Ravioles de espinaca cuatro quesos
    Spinach ravioli with 4 cheese sauce

San babila

La Pergola de San Telmo: Typical portenio food

by Orkaena Written Jun 25, 2004

Located at one of the most traditional neighborhood of Buenos Aires this is a typical portenio restaurant.
    Coal grilled meats, fish and pastas, with an old fashioned ambiance is an acceptable option if you are wandering by San Telmo watching tango dancers and Antiques shops.

Favorite Dish: I can not say that I have a fave dish, but try with "Bife de Chorizo cocido a punto".

La Pergola... card

Meridiano 58: Eclectic and fashion

by Orkaena Updated Jun 25, 2004

With a sophisticated and modern look this restaurant has a good variety of dishes with a nouvelle cuisine touch. Calm ambiance and attractive furnished you can choose first story with a nic view to the streets of Palermo Viejo, another old neighbourhood of the city

Favorite Dish: Mollejas crocantes con limón y brotes de alfalfa

• Orkaena's Profile Photo

T.G.I. FRIDAY'S: HASTA LA VISTA BABY!!

by Orkaena Written Jul 8, 2004

Well well, here is one of the american style restaurants of B.A.
    Typical tex-mex foods, decorated with his own and inimitable style.
    Nice girls dressed like american waiters and red-white bars stamped on the tableclothes. Good kitchen and american ambiance beside the Rio de La Plata harbour, with a nice view to the old Argentine Navy frigate Sarmiento, refurbished and turned into a Navy Museum.
    Anyway, american friends, if you dont like our foods or if you want take a rest of our style, here is your choice.

Favorite Dish: Pork ribs with hot sauce, try this with Warsteiner beer. Tasty

The happy tribe at Friday's

Sottovoce: Good Lunch

by cjg1 Updated Sep 4, 2007

Sottovoce is one of those places that I really like. It is more expensive than what I’d normally want to spend for a lunch in Buenos Aires but I enjoyed it so much that I’d go back. Probably hold off on the wine next time though as it was quite a bit more for that.

Favorite Dish: I had the Steak with three-mustard sauce. I’d love to give you the Spanish name for it but they gave me an English menu and I was unable to get the answer. But I can tell you it was one of the best steaks I had during this third trip here. There is just something great about a mustard sauce for a steak.
    We had the Susanne B as the wine. They were getting 155 pesos for this bottle, which by all accounts should be in the 60 to 80 range. It was quite good though.
    For dessert I had an apple tart with cinnamon ice cream. That was surprisingly good. All in all it was quite the good lunch and I would come back again.

Arguibel: Ok place

by cjg1 Updated Mar 13, 2008

This is the one place I did not get what I ordered. The group however was manageable in size and we enjoyed being in a more secluded part in the back. Usually doesn't sound like a plus but when you're a group its often nice and they did well to accommodate us.

Friday night, Cow Do II

Favorite Dish: I had some beef dish. I can’t tell you for sure because it was not the Bife de Lomo I had ordered. But it was good enough that I figured I’d not rock the boat. Nor did I want to wait any longer to eat.

El Pobre Luis: Not bad for group

by cjg1 Updated Sep 14, 2006

El Pobre Luis was an ok place. Located out in Belgrano, it was a new area of town for me. When I arrived most of the group was there already. Had trouble getting a cab because of the rain that evening.
    I’d probably not come back here only because there are too many other places to try. It was good once. Just don’t think it rates a second trip.

Favorite Dish: Sitting at a long table it was like several large meetings I’ve been to where you can really only talk to those immediately around you. I went with the Bife de Chorizo here. Was a good choice. Quite the good meal. Also had some of the salad and cheese appetizers.

Romario: Great Pizza

by cjg1 Updated Sep 14, 2006

Romario was a great place to eat. I came here with Sof my last evening in town on my most recent third trip for dinner. It was one of those things that just clicked. It was a Wednesday evening and I had not eaten since Tuesday lunch. I was beef’d out by that point having nothing but beef from Thursday evening to Tuesday lunch. I was in the mood for pizza. So when she asked if I wanted pizza for dinner I knew it would be great.
    We sat upstairs on the second floor here and shared a bottle of beer. It was a nice and relaxing evening in this busy but not terribly loud place. I highly recommend this place when you’re in Recoleta looking for pizza.

Favorite Dish: We had a blue cheese pizza on half and the other half was plain or with olives. Not sure if the olives were on all pizzas or not. The blue cheese was surprisingly good. I will definitely order at least half the pizza this way again.

• Beer Tasting

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Postavecchia: Fast food steak?

by Dabs Written Apr 3, 2006

I can just see all you foodies out there cringing in horror at the thought of eating a steak at a mall food court but we were a) starving b) wanting to take advantage of a beautiful sunny afternoon and c) it looked and smelled pretty good. And you know what, it was pretty good! And ridiculously cheap!

Something that was a bit curious, we kept seeing people come back up to the counter, turn in a poker chip and their silverware and get some coins back. We didn't get a poker chip so we just handed our tray to an employee, do they not charge foreigners the silverware charge? And is stealing crappy fast food silverware really all that common? I may never know :-)

Favorite Dish: I tried the bistek de chorizo (16 pesos, around $5US including beverage and french fries) and David tried a Lomo which was better than my selection. Someone in line behind us encouraged us to try one of the sauces, an oil based sauce with peppers which added a nice flavor. It wasn't the best steak I had in Buenos Aires but for $5 and 5 minutes time, it was pretty darn satisfying.

There was also a mixed grill option for around 25 pesos that was served on a little portable grill and looked to have enough food to feed two (came with 2 drinks). We saw several women apparently giving this one a shot on their own!

Fast food steak Postavecchia

Rio Alba: Cow Do post wine tasting lunch spot

by cjg1 Updated Nov 12, 2008

Rio Alba has become a Cow Do tradition. We come here for our post wine tasting lunch on Saturday each year. Although I believe we did not after Cow Do II.

The restaurant is smallish but suitable for our group purposes where we typically take 25 or more. Always great service and the food is fanatastic.

During Cow Do III, I was part of a group who ordered the grilled meat for four special. We had so much food we used it for seven and still left half of it on the table.

We reutned here twice during Cow Do VI and the food was great.

They are quite affordable and always have some of the most talked about food from our weekends. Have only done lunches here, not dinner.

Favorite Dish: The empanadas, beef, provoletta and desserts are incredible.

Empanada Lomo Lomo Lomo & more Lomo

Latest: Jun 19, 2014
King's Hotel
Latest: Jan 21, 2013

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires

Comments

Buenos Aires Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Buenos Aires locals.
Map of Buenos Aires