Restaurant Dora, Buenos Aires

5 out of 5 stars 3 Reviews

Av. Leandro N. Alem 1016 4311-2891

wish that was me walking in again!
    by ellielou
  • Restaurant Dora: New address!!!

by Arwen2 Written Jan 3, 2007

Restaurant Dora has moved to Reconquista 1076, it´s right around the corner from where it was before, the service continues to be excellent, the food is really delicious, I suggest the different kinds of seafood...now there is more space between the tables...if you are about to visit Buenos Aires, you can´t miss the opportunity to visit this place...

Favorite Dish: You must taste the different kinds of seafood and the steak

• ellielou's Profile Photo

Restaurant Dora: Already dreaming of returning

by ellielou Written Dec 5, 2005

wish that was me walking in again!

I had read RAVE reviews of this place on different "foodie" website...and couldn't miss it, although my tastes runs towards "local dives" and this was distinctly NOT a dive. In fact, entering during lunch, with the downtown lunch crowd, we were uncomfortable in our t-shirts and jeans....and, we were about to leave, but kept seeing these older, professional waiters running by with the most incredible looking food on the plates.

Dora is in the business area, so people were in varying degrees of biz attire, and most had cell phones on the table. Besides that, the place looked like it was out of the 1940's, bare walls, cafe curtains, hams hanging from the large ceiling, etc....

The waiters, not only were older and professional, but were the types with aprons and napkins draped over their arms, and were graceful without being fawning. Perfect service.

Also, the menu has an English translation. Usually that would be the clue for me to go somewhere else, but, in this case, I stayed...and am so happy that I did!

Favorite Dish: We started with the ensalada mixta (which we had at every meal it seems), but it was a cut above all the others. We also had ham with melon...the perfect, simple appetizer.

However, where Dora shined was my entree. Rarely, if ever, had I had seafood cooked so perfectly. (And, I am from a town KNOWN for its seafood, so I hate, hate to admit that a place known for its beef could do so well.) Although I forget the name, I had some seafood stew thing of octupus, squid, mussels, and things that swim that I don't know, with peas, plenty of bay leaves, and olive oil. Perfecto. Stupendo.

Michael mistakenly got some Portguese chicken thing. While it was good....it was NOTHING compared to the culinary masterpiece that I ordered.

As in most BsAs restaurants, tables talk to each other. Since my "Spanglish" skills don't extend to chitchat, we just sort of smiled at our neighborhing tables. However, it was our neighbor who introduced us to the joys of lemoncello post dinner. And, it was homemade lemoncello.

When I get back to Baires....Dora will recieve another visit...and another and another....Please, splurge and go there...you won't regret it.

• ddbleu's Profile Photo

Restaurant Dora: Great food, warm atmosphere

by ddbleu Written Mar 3, 2005

You'll see a lot of locals here. It's a very comfortable restaurant with huge variety on the menu. Steak and seafood prepared a lot of different ways. Described as an upscale eatery in the Insight Guide. Giant ferns hang from the ceiling. The menu is in both English and Spanish. The service is excellent, very friendly. Large portions. Seems to draw an earlier crowd as almost all the tables were filled by 9:30.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a trout dish in almond sauce, it was fantastic. Salad, entree, wine (1/2 bottle) and dessert came to $60 pesos.

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires

Comments

Hotels Near Restaurant Dora
4.0 out of 5 stars