City Tours, Buenos Aires

Sun Flare and Reflection and a Market
  • fred98115's Profile Photo

Reflections are photo subjects in city

by fred98115 Written May 11, 2013
    Building Reflection

While on sponsored tours of the city - ours came at the end of a cruise - I find that shooting photos of building reflections adds spice to the images. Zoom lens are great to use for a variety of possible shots. Autoexposure can be misleading, so use the camera as a exposure meter. Take a reading off a neutral subject, turn the camera to manual and choose speed and aperature for the light level. If on a bus which may be moving, go for a higher speed if possible to eliminate blurring. And don't worry if a lot of shots are lousy, these days they're files that can be deleted when you review them in the hotel that night.

• Cruise

• Foto Ruta tour of Buenos Aires

by TobyThom Written Oct 21, 2011

I rocked up to this one not really knowing what to expect but i thought i sounded like fun. Foto Ruta is basically a company that runs photography site seeing. You get into groups and explore an area of Buenos Aires (most of them are off the tourist trail). I really enjoyed the afternoon, and although i'm not great at photography, i really enjoyed using my camera to capture parts of the city and try and interpret the clues. It was also really good for meeting people, i met lots of friends on it, who i ended up exploring Buenos Aires with over the following days!

• Adventure Travel

• Lola81's Profile Photo

Foto Ruta photography treasure hunt

by Lola81 Written Oct 21, 2011

This was a great little find. Foto Ruta do photography treasure hunts around areas of Buenos Aires. Although i'm not great at photography, i loved doing this tour. They start off by giving you some photograph tips and telling you about the area, then you go out in teams and take pictures to represent the clues..... we found out loads about the area and i came back with some really great photos and memories!!

• Singles

• Ultimate Spanish Crash Course Expanish

by TobyThom Written Jun 27, 2011

Learn about the City of Buenos Aires, Argentine culture and much more whilst learning the basics of Spanish. I took two sessions of the Ultimate Spanish Crash course and had such a good time. It was a great introduction to the city and i met loads of new friends whilst i was there. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has a spare two hours in an afternoon whilst they are in Buenos Aires

• Study Abroad

• bonio's Profile Photo

Bus Turistico

by bonio Written Jan 17, 2011

Open top bus tour, a good way to get first impressions of an unfamiliar city.
    An interesting 90 minutes or so, passing many of the major sights, giving some ideas of places to visit later.
    Commentary in several languages on the headsets.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Downtown - La City

by spidermiss Written Jul 11, 2010

Plaza de Mayo

Downtown Buenos Aires is a contrast of the old and the new and from historical buildings to modern office complexes.

Downtown BA has a number of important sights historically and today which are worth checking out:

Plaza de Mayo
    Casa Rosada
    Teatro Colon
    Congreso Nacional
    Obelisco
    The fast lanes of Avenida 9 de Julio

Some of the sights will be explained separately in the tips

• Museum Visits

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

General Buenos Aires

by Odinnthor Updated Sep 6, 2009

Casa de la Cultura

The "Paris of South America" does live up to its name. It is certainly not wanting for art galleries. Granted, my suggestions are probably a little "touristy", but certain sites should be seen anyway. These were included on most of my tours in BA, - Plaza de Mayo, Casa Rosada, and the Metropolitan Cathedral. Also interesting is the Recleta Cemetary. Also a visit to the birth place of the Tango at San Telmo. Hiring a private guide would be the way to go. However I am sure prices have changed somewhat since my time there. There have also always been several places at night to go and enjoy a "Tango Show". The most elaborate one is likely the La Esquina de Carlos Gardel, but there are several of this type of show. The ladies on my tours found B.A. to be a shopping paradise, full of boutique stores everywhere. Suggest you check out the VT B.A. page for more details and probably more updated information. Be safe and enjoy the ride.

• solcitom87's Profile Photo

good way to have a quick look to bs as!

by solcitom87 Written May 17, 2008

the usuals city tour pick you up at your hotel and it may last around 3hs aproximatly

the usuals places that visists are: Plaza de Mayo, Monteserrat, Palermo, Recoleta, San telmo, La boca, Congreso, Retiro and ^Puerto Madero .

there are tours in spanish, english and portuguese, if you speak another language there are private tours.

the price goes around u$D 20.00

there is another citiy tour but at night to the same places, this is offer by http://www.travelline.com.ar and it costs u$D 35.00

• Seniors

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

City tour of Buenos Aires

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 4, 2008

La Boca Stadium

You'd be doing yourself a favor if you take a tour of the city before venturing out. A shuttle bus picked us up at our hotel, then at Vincente Lopez ave. we changed vehicles to join a large bus filled with other tourists. After a show of hands, countries represented were Chile, Japan, Norway, Venezuela, Mexico and the United States.

We passed picturesque Recoleta Cemetery and headed for Palermo. Our bus paused at a park by the Casa Rosada (where the President has his office) to allow us to take pictures. Across from the park we could view the National Cathedral.

We then headed for San Telmo ,the oldest part of the city where we were shown examples of colonial architecture. At LaBoca (the colorful artists area) we were given time to tour the soccer stadium--home of the Boca,Jrs.--visit souvenir shops and view the artwork along the streets. Next we drove past the floating casino then soon afterward headed back to a shuttle that delivered us to our hotels.

On this particular bus tour a special photo was taken of each passenger and presented to us before departing the vehicle. YOU'LL LOVE THIS PHOTO!! The tour was 3 hours plus. We also received a tango CD that was great!

• Seniors

• Free Guided Tour by a Friendly Porteño

by bsasporteno Updated Oct 4, 2007

When I travel I don´t especially care to see all the prime tourist spots. I want to see what life, culture, art, and history is really like where I go.

In Buenos Aires, there´s an awesome way to do that.

When I first moved here from the States, I took a free guided tour from an organization called Cicerones de Buenos Aires. It´s a nonprofit that wants to improve what foreigners think of the city. They offer tours and travel information.

My ¨Cicerone¨ volunteer tour guides took me to see a tango show in an ¨barrio¨ (district) less traveled. We walked around the area, ate dinner, than watched the show. I swear I didn´t see a single tourist!

Their multilingual Web site at has all the info you need. Complete the online form to request a tour!

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

City Tour

by PierreZA Written Sep 29, 2007

Obelisk

It is worth taking a city tour, as many of the sights are in different parts of the city.
    The tour I went on started at Plaza de Mayo, covered La Boca, Puert Madero, Recoleta and many more.
    A tour lik this is actually a good introduction to the city.

• lucasfashion83's Profile Photo

Caminar, caminar y caminar

by lucasfashion83 Written Aug 28, 2007
    Escultura genial de la flor en Recoleta.

Si quieren conocer bien Buenos Aires prepárense para caminar mucho.
    La mejor manera de ver todo es yendo de un lugar a otro, es genial la manera en que van cambiando las construcciones y los atractivos.
    Av Santa Fé tiene muchas tiendas para ver, además de luego de caminar bastante poder llegar al Alto Palermo Shopping.
    Los sábados la feria del cementerio de la Recoleta es ideal, mucha onda, muy relax, chicos haciendo tai-chi, bandas tocando en el pasto, teatro, puestos de todo tipo de cosas, gente haciendo masajes, muy interesante. Funciona de tarde y está hasta que cae el sol.
    Si se aburren se pueden dar un paseo por el shopping del diseño que está ahí mismo, se puede encontrar cosas muy lindas y a no tan alto precio. Hay un Hard Rock Café pero no lo recomiendo, hay mejores bares para ir.
    En el centro podrán ver el Obelisco, el Teatro Colón, al cual les recomiendo ir a ver una obra de ballet u ópera, la Casa Rosada. Pero luego de eso no tiene mayores atractivos, no es un lugar en donde me guste estar.
    Puerto Madero, muy lindo lugar, paquete, restoranes, bares, veleros, ideal para tomarse un jugo a la tarde en Asia De Cuba y Pizza Zero mientras se mira a la gente caminar, patinar y los veleritos pasando.
    El parque Palermo es hermoso, tiene el Jardín Japonés y el Zoológico que es inmenso y donde pude ver animales que nunca vi en mi vida.
    La Costanera Norte es un lugar para ir a la tarde también, muy lindo para caminar y por qué no almorzar en alguno de los restoranes situados en frente al mar. Recomiendo Happening, no es caro y es un lugar tranquilo.

• sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

Cicerones: Free tours by volunteers

by sabrina_florida Written Oct 7, 2006

The volunteers of this non-profit organization walk you along the streets of Buenos Aires telling you its history. It is sponsored by the Government and the groups are not bigger than 8 people.
    Visit their webpage and take a look!

• nattybabe's Profile Photo

Do a city tour

by nattybabe Written Sep 5, 2006

I have gotten into the habit of doing a city tour whenever I’m new to a city. It helps me orientate myself and figure out where everything is before I attempt it all on my own.

The Buenos Aires city tour was a half day and took us to some major tourist sites including the Pink Palace, La Boca and Recoleta. At each place you are given an introduction including a history lesson on the region. For someone like me who knew nothing of Argentina it is very interesting to know what the people have been through last century alone. You will see some amazing buildings and places and get a brief history of Buenos Aires on a city tour. Well worth doing!!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Take a free guided tour with a Cicerone

by Dabs Updated Apr 22, 2006

I read about the Cicerone program just a few days before we were leaving for our trip but I sent off an email anyway on the chance that they might have someone available. I didn't hear anything before I left but I managed to check my email from the road and sure enough there was one available for our visit. Do try and arrange for this in advance so you have a chance to correspond with your guide and get a chance to figure out a good itinerary that matches your interests.

Veronica showed up at our hotel at the arranged time and gave us a couple of options, I wanted to go somewhere that we would find difficult to get to on our own so when she suggested La Boca and San Telmo, I thought that sounded like a good plan. She offered us the option of taxi or bus and we opted for the bus (be sure to pay your guide's fare!)

We walked around La Boca BEFORE the tourist buses arrived for the day and got some of the history and then hopped back on the bus to get to San Telmo. After walking around San Telmo and ducking into courtyards and a lovely church, we opted to stay in San Telmo as there were so many shops and restaurants that we wanted to stop at.

If you enjoy your tour and are not on a strict budget, consider giving your guide a donation to help fund this organization.

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires