City Tours, Buenos Aires

Building Reflection
  • VeronicaG's Profile Photo

City tour of Buenos Aires

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 4, 2008

You'd be doing yourself a favor if you take a tour of the city before venturing out. A shuttle bus picked us up at our hotel, then at Vincente Lopez ave. we changed vehicles to join a large bus filled with other tourists. After a show of hands, countries represented were Chile, Japan, Norway, Venezuela, Mexico and the United States.

We passed picturesque Recoleta Cemetery and headed for Palermo. Our bus paused at a park by the Casa Rosada (where the President has his office) to allow us to take pictures. Across from the park we could view the National Cathedral.

We then headed for San Telmo ,the oldest part of the city where we were shown examples of colonial architecture. At LaBoca (the colorful artists area) we were given time to tour the soccer stadium--home of the Boca,Jrs.--visit souvenir shops and view the artwork along the streets. Next we drove past the floating casino then soon afterward headed back to a shuttle that delivered us to our hotels.

On this particular bus tour a special photo was taken of each passenger and presented to us before departing the vehicle. YOU'LL LOVE THIS PHOTO!! The tour was 3 hours plus. We also received a tango CD that was great!

La Boca Stadium
    • Seniors
    • Architecture

• sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

Cicerones: Free tours by volunteers

by sabrina_florida Written Oct 7, 2006

The volunteers of this non-profit organization walk you along the streets of Buenos Aires telling you its history. It is sponsored by the Government and the groups are not bigger than 8 people.
    Visit their webpage and take a look!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Take a free guided tour with a Cicerone

by Dabs Updated Apr 22, 2006

I read about the Cicerone program just a few days before we were leaving for our trip but I sent off an email anyway on the chance that they might have someone available. I didn't hear anything before I left but I managed to check my email from the road and sure enough there was one available for our visit. Do try and arrange for this in advance so you have a chance to correspond with your guide and get a chance to figure out a good itinerary that matches your interests.

Veronica showed up at our hotel at the arranged time and gave us a couple of options, I wanted to go somewhere that we would find difficult to get to on our own so when she suggested La Boca and San Telmo, I thought that sounded like a good plan. She offered us the option of taxi or bus and we opted for the bus (be sure to pay your guide's fare!)

We walked around La Boca BEFORE the tourist buses arrived for the day and got some of the history and then hopped back on the bus to get to San Telmo. After walking around San Telmo and ducking into courtyards and a lovely church, we opted to stay in San Telmo as there were so many shops and restaurants that we wanted to stop at.

If you enjoy your tour and are not on a strict budget, consider giving your guide a donation to help fund this organization.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Downtown - La City

by spidermiss Written Jul 11, 2010

Downtown Buenos Aires is a contrast of the old and the new and from historical buildings to modern office complexes.

Downtown BA has a number of important sights historically and today which are worth checking out:

Plaza de Mayo
    Casa Rosada
    Teatro Colon
    Congreso Nacional
    Obelisco
    The fast lanes of Avenida 9 de Julio

Some of the sights will be explained separately in the tips

Plaza de Mayo La City Avenida 9 De Julio Congreso Nacional La City
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

City Tour

by PierreZA Written Sep 29, 2007

It is worth taking a city tour, as many of the sights are in different parts of the city.
    The tour I went on started at Plaza de Mayo, covered La Boca, Puert Madero, Recoleta and many more.
    A tour lik this is actually a good introduction to the city.

Obelisk

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Public Art tour

by GentleSpirit Written Nov 17, 2012

This is a new tour i ran across which i wish would have been around when i was in Argentina last.
    Buenos Aires has some great public art and unfortunately a lot of times you only get to see it in passing. This group gives tours of Buenos Aires' various neighborhoods with public art, showing you the political, artistic and social significance.

Certainly a nice change from the standard tour of Buenos Aires.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

General Buenos Aires

by Odinnthor Updated Sep 6, 2009

The "Paris of South America" does live up to its name. It is certainly not wanting for art galleries. Granted, my suggestions are probably a little "touristy", but certain sites should be seen anyway. These were included on most of my tours in BA, - Plaza de Mayo, Casa Rosada, and the Metropolitan Cathedral. Also interesting is the Recleta Cemetary. Also a visit to the birth place of the Tango at San Telmo. Hiring a private guide would be the way to go. However I am sure prices have changed somewhat since my time there. There have also always been several places at night to go and enjoy a "Tango Show". The most elaborate one is likely the La Esquina de Carlos Gardel, but there are several of this type of show. The ladies on my tours found B.A. to be a shopping paradise, full of boutique stores everywhere. Suggest you check out the VT B.A. page for more details and probably more updated information. Be safe and enjoy the ride.

Casa de la Cultura

• Free Guided Tour by a Friendly Porteño

by bsasporteno Updated Oct 4, 2007

When I travel I don´t especially care to see all the prime tourist spots. I want to see what life, culture, art, and history is really like where I go.

In Buenos Aires, there´s an awesome way to do that.

When I first moved here from the States, I took a free guided tour from an organization called Cicerones de Buenos Aires. It´s a nonprofit that wants to improve what foreigners think of the city. They offer tours and travel information.

My ¨Cicerone¨ volunteer tour guides took me to see a tango show in an ¨barrio¨ (district) less traveled. We walked around the area, ate dinner, than watched the show. I swear I didn´t see a single tourist!

Their multilingual Web site at has all the info you need. Complete the online form to request a tour!

• alexmay0106's Profile Photo

Free personal guide to explore Buenos Aires.

by alexmay0106 Written Jan 18, 2005

CICERONES de Buenos Aires is an ONG whose goal is to improve the image of the city allowing its better knowledge to national and foreign visitors. Therefore, CICERONES offers free services for visitors of guides to get to know non traditional quaters or places of their special interest. The guides are all volunteers who like demonstrate the city from their "point of view". Its an experience of a new way getting to know Buenos Aires!

• Foto Ruta tour of Buenos Aires

by TobyThom Written Oct 21, 2011

I rocked up to this one not really knowing what to expect but i thought i sounded like fun. Foto Ruta is basically a company that runs photography site seeing. You get into groups and explore an area of Buenos Aires (most of them are off the tourist trail). I really enjoyed the afternoon, and although i'm not great at photography, i really enjoyed using my camera to capture parts of the city and try and interpret the clues. It was also really good for meeting people, i met lots of friends on it, who i ended up exploring Buenos Aires with over the following days!

• Adventure Travel

• Lola81's Profile Photo

Foto Ruta photography treasure hunt

by Lola81 Written Oct 21, 2011

This was a great little find. Foto Ruta do photography treasure hunts around areas of Buenos Aires. Although i'm not great at photography, i loved doing this tour. They start off by giving you some photograph tips and telling you about the area, then you go out in teams and take pictures to represent the clues..... we found out loads about the area and i came back with some really great photos and memories!!

• Singles

• solcitom87's Profile Photo

good way to have a quick look to bs as!

by solcitom87 Written May 17, 2008

the usuals city tour pick you up at your hotel and it may last around 3hs aproximatly

the usuals places that visists are: Plaza de Mayo, Monteserrat, Palermo, Recoleta, San telmo, La boca, Congreso, Retiro and ^Puerto Madero .

there are tours in spanish, english and portuguese, if you speak another language there are private tours.

the price goes around u$D 20.00

there is another citiy tour but at night to the same places, this is offer by http://www.travelline.com.ar and it costs u$D 35.00

• Seniors

• pcombette's Profile Photo

Buenos Aires from a helicopter

by pcombette Updated Jan 16, 2007

Hi friends from everywhere! It's me again (Philippe) inviting you to join me in one of the most incredible adventures possible. This time, we fly over Buenos Aires in a beautifull little bird: a helicopter. Believe me, there's many things to do in this city, but nothing so amazing compared to this.

The "helitour" lasts 30 to 40 minutes and you can see EVERYTHING (from the Delta to the city centre) at just 500 feets altitude. As always, you only need to call me or email me to set it up, we meet in my appartement in Palermo and we go together to the airport.

Once there, we meet the pilot, he shows us the helicopter and we go flying!! After the tour, we go back to the city centre together. We'll be taking my own car so there's no need to take a taxi.

Remember I always update the pictures in my blog, so do not forget to take a look at them before anything =) - Check outa http://flyba.skyblog.com/

If you want to contact me to set up a flight for you and your friends, call me at 15 5454 7775. Note: The cost is U$D 160 each.

You can also contact me by email or add me to your MSN contact list. I am currently living in the neighborhood Palermo, in the Capital Federal, next to Recoleta. I can help you out organizing anything you want here in the city! If you just need some information about where to stay or what to do, also feel free to ask. My email is p_combette@hotmail.com.

• Adventure Travel
    • Gay and Lesbian

• Buenos Aires Jewish Day Tour

by carlabend Updated Sep 7, 2009

I took this tour while in Buenos Aires and thought it was great.
    In just a coulple hours I was able to have a backgroung on how the Jewish Comunity is in Argentina, learn about the terrorist attacks, etc.

The Regular J-BA tour I took with traveljewish.com incluided what follows:

private car, driver, host, 2 Historical Synagogues—a beautiful Ashkenazi synagogue (completed in 1919) + a synagogue built by the Jewish immigrants from Aleppo, Syria (1932); the AMIA from the outside only (Jewish Federation Building with outdoor memorial dedicated to those killed in the 1994 bombing of this building), Former Israel Embassy (Memorial Plaza dedicated to the victims of the 1992 bombing); and a uniquely located Memorial to the victims of the Shoah on behalf of the Catholic community.

Hope you like my comment!

Carla

• Religious Travel

• Walikg throught san telmo

by gordn Written Sep 10, 2008

Hi !
    When I went to BA I stayed in a hostel called ART FACTORY , there is a guy who makes a kind of tour that is walking through San Telmo, and it was free youncan give him the money that you want, a relay good experience!´
    the home page I thnik is www.artfactoryba.com.ar
    You cxan call them and check this!
    good luck,