Getting Around Buenos Aires

Most Viewed Transportation in Buenos Aires

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Flying into Buenos Aires

by Dabs Written Apr 6, 2006

There are two airports in Buenos Aires so make sure you know which one you are flying in and out of.

The international airport Ezeiza Ministro Pistarini (EZE) is 26 miles outside of Buenos Aires, allow 45 minutes to an hour to get to/from the airport. We flew United Airlines direct back to Chicago out of this airport, be sure to also allow plenty of time to get through the line at the airport. Also, there is a departure tax that has to be paid at the airport, we paid $18 US per person and airport personnel said it is currently never added to anyone's tickets. We were upgraded to Economy Plus both coming and going, Friendly Skies indeed!

The other airport for domestic flights and flights to Uruaguay, Jorge Newbery Airport, is very close to the city right along the River, I was amazed at how fast we got to our hotel, only around 15 minutes. Very easy to get through, of course, we didn't have to clear customs here. There is an ATM in the airport which dispensed both pesos and USD.

We had drivers included in our package but I've read that you should use radio taxis to and from the airport, slightly more expensive but reliable and less of a chance of getting ripped off.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

No need to drive in Buenos Aires

by Dabs Updated Apr 6, 2006

There's absolutely no need to rent a car in Buenos Aires, first of all you can get anywhere you need to go that you can't travel on foot via subte (subway), bus or taxi and second of all, the drivers seem to view stoplights as suggestions and lane dividers are frequently straddled and new lanes formed at every opportunity. And I swear the drivers are revving their engines at passing pedestrians, the second the light turns yellow and the drivers are off and running!

I found Buenos Aires to be a wonderful place to walk, there are several pedestrian only shopping streets, lots of places to grab a slice of pizza, a scoop of ice cream or an alfajore, not to mention lots of interesting architecture that you'd only see when walking. I'm quite sure we traveled almost every street in central Buenos Aires at least once! (which helps explain why I didn't gain more weight than I did!!!)

• nyl's Profile Photo

Cata International

by nyl Written Nov 1, 2005

I took Cata back from Buenos Aires to Santiago after a horrible experience on the way there (see my warnings tip). It was a fantastic experience. Good food (including wine, thought not good nor plenty, wine all the same) attentive service and above average movies. The price was less than we paid to get to Buenos Aires at $120 Argentinian pesos. You can find a service desk at the Retiro bus terminal. Buses leave for Santiago everyday at 5:30 pm.

NOW YOU CAN :)

by RafaelTheSecond Written Oct 21, 2005

You can reach Buenos Aires also via ferryboats, and one of the places you can get to Argentina is going to Tigre from Carmelo, Uruguay....Ten years ago I would never recommend you to use CACCIOLA services, because the boat they used to cross the river was these little ones you see in the picture, now they are using brand new catamaras and it can be a cheaper option, if you compare to Buquebus.

Carmelo is a little village close to Colonia del Sacramento, very green little town, it can be also a great option for you to spend the day in the river edge of Uruguay!

And if you want to stay in the provinces of Buenos Aires, tigre is the best start point, it is about 40 minutes away from Buenos Aires city centre by train of course!;)

New boats, Cacciola now is GOOD - by RTL

A VERY FAMOUS AVENUE

by RafaelTheSecond Written Oct 7, 2005

Avenida del Libertador is one of the most famous and exclusive streets of Buenos Aires, there are important buildings and attractions located in this avenue, the most famous people in Argentina lives there, the famous Modern Art Museum is also there and you can reach the famous Recoleta and Palermo using this avenue. Its ellegance is something spectacular, and the Porteño likes to keep it exclusive!

Sep - SECOND WEEK - 2005

Avenida del Libertador by RTL

THE DOOR

by RafaelTheSecond Written Oct 5, 2005

When we reach Argentina by car from Brazil this is the main way, driving thhrough the very modern Panamerica Express way, this is the entrance of Buenos Aires, roads are very good here, even the smallest ones!

This picture was taken somewhere near Olivos when I was solving many importantant things like getting an apartment for me and my friend Steve who I decided to show buenos Aires!

In the roads the Argentineans do not respect the lanes, in the city they are far better! It is like England!

Sept - First Week - 2005

The Panamericana Road

• Orkaena's Profile Photo

PLANE TO BUENOS AIRES

by Orkaena Written Jul 30, 2005

Many many airlines have services to Buenos Aires almost from the whole world.
    Iberia, American Airlines, Lufthansa, Varig, Air France, LAN Chile, Alitalia, etc. and of course Aerolíneas Argentinas.
    Here you have the international location of Aerolíneas Argentinas to check frequency and airfares from your countries.

Welcome!

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

Ana Personal tour guide and Airport pickup Service

by sfphototraveller Written Apr 29, 2005

I used a personal tour guide. Her name is Ana 50Pesos for pick up at airport another 50 for drop off. 150 Peso for city tour day trip to San Telmo area and we had lunch at Cabana Las Lilas .If you want her number let me know.

Persoanal guide Ana

• Moabi's Profile Photo

Radio Taxis

by Moabi Written Apr 29, 2005

Here's a 2 for 1 shot.
    MacD's and Radio Taxi.

Avoided MacD's the wholetime and on our last night,we thought why not pop into the 24hour MacD.Guess what?They shut early that night due to some equipment problem.

Radio Taxi is spot on.
    Number wise:Most hotels/apartments will have their number.

2 for 1

• Shakermaker's Profile Photo

Subway and train schedule.

by Shakermaker Written Apr 14, 2005

The trains that go from Retiro to Tigre run between 4:37am to 12:40 am.
    The subways run between 5am to 10:50pm (there are some small differences between the lines but they all close at around that time)

• sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

What is a remis?

by sabrina_florida Written Apr 3, 2005

When you're here you may hear people speaking about REMISES. Well, there are agencies (not very many in Capital Federal) which offer door-to-door car service. For instance, I'm at home, I call the agency and ask for a car to go to downtown. They send me the car (just a regular car with a chouffer) and when I get to destination, he looks at the speedometer and tells me the fare. Or, say I'm i dowtown, I want to get home so I call them and they send me a car which picks me up where I am. This kind of service is more commom in the suburbs, in Capital Federal people usually either hail taxis in the street or call a taxi agency to get one.

Remises

• sabrina_florida's Profile Photo

Moving around Buenos Aires

by sabrina_florida Updated Apr 2, 2005

Most tourists I've met so far prefer taxis, because of course, it's so much easier to hail one in the street than looking for a bus stop, subway or train station. And let's face it, they divide the price by 3! So around Capital Federal you would spend no more than 10 pesos... 3 dollars!
    Anyway, although I still see your point guys, I believe you should use the public transport some time. Just because this is one of those things that give you more insight of another culture. Plus you get more anecdotes to tell back home, you know how you always find little details that are so different from your culture.
    The subway costs 70 cents (pesos) and you can make all the connections you want provided you don't leave the station. The bus inside Capital Federal should be 80 cents and the train between 50 and 95 cents, depending on the destination.
    When travelling by bus (colectivo), once you get on you have to tell the driver the fare or the place where you're going if you don't know it. He'll press some buttons and so you'll have to insert the coins (ONLY COINS!) in the machine next to the driver. The fare will appear on the little screen of this machine. Then you take your ticket and the change from below.

Colectivo (bus)

• Maggies's Profile Photo

In the traffic

by Maggies Written Mar 28, 2005

Driving around Buenos Aires will take you lots of time. The city is generally jammed or it's moving... in "slow motion" though. As the city is huge (15 mln people) it's impossible to walk from one place to another so you can either take a bus, a taxi or drive.
    Taxis are quite cheap. To go from Bus Terminal to Obelisc area you'll pay about 3-4 pesos.

Driving down Avenida 9 de Julio

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

International Flights

by Bwana_Brown Updated Mar 11, 2005

I had pre-booked our international flights to Argentina some months before. Checking various deals on the internet, I eventually settled on 'airfareplanet.com' and their US$900 per person round trip tickets via Delta Airlines. A short 3-hour drive over the border into Maine, USA allowed us to depart from Bangor. From there, it was short hops to Cincinnati and Atlanta before the 9.5 hour overnight flight direct to Buenos Aires on a Boeing 767.

The customs and immigration formalities at the International Airport (Aeropuerto Internacional Ministro Pistarini), referred to as 'Ezeirza', were quick and efficient. Luggage was soon delivered and we were on our way into Buenos Aires on a beautiful, sunny morning (after dodging waves of blizzards in both Canada and USA)!

One thing we noticed in both directions, was the elderly age of the passengers in the departure lounge. This seems to be a popular destination for people taking the whole tour package, including the exotic cruises to the tip of South America or Antarctica. We actually had quite an entertaining conversation with a group of American seniors while waiting for our return flight. Many of these guys had served in the US military and were very familiar with New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland on Canada's east coast as a result of American military bases set up during WW2 !

I did not take any photos during our long-haul travels, so you will have to settle for this one as we left Buenos Aires on an internal flight and were only moments from landing at Puerto Iguazu, near Iguazu Falls.

The Rio Parana, near Puerto Iguazu

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

it just costs one peso

by cochinjew Written Mar 9, 2005

after paying manuel tienda leon for the bus ride to their home office in madera and san martin, it just takes one more peso and they would drop you off at the san martin subte station and you could take a subte anywhere in the city.
    if there are more than one person, it is better to take a taxi at anytime

Buenos Aires Hotels

Latest: Apr 28, 2014
Hotel Ibis Buenos Aires Obelisco
Latest: Jun 28, 2014

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires

Comments

Buenos Aires Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Buenos Aires locals.
Map of Buenos Aires