Taxis, Buenos Aires

Know about this? Rate It!

Taxis on a busy street
    by spidermiss
  • Florabean's Profile Photo

Radio Taxis

by Florabean Written Oct 22, 2005

Just a note to anyone feeling a little apprehensive about getting around B.A. My husband and I just returned from a weeklong trip in October, 2005. Before traveling there, we were quite concerned about our means of getting around the city since my husband is not a bus/subway rider. We usually take taxis. However, there were so many warnings about being careful who you choose to ride with. BUT, please put your mind at ease. Although we did not use the subway, called Subte, nor the public busses (both I understand are VERY inexpensive), we did use their taxi service, the RADIOTAXI, every day. Be sure the vehicles, which are yellow and black, have the words RADIOTAXI on the door and you will not have anything to worry about. Also, the dollar/peso ratio makes even the taxi rides very inexpensive. When you start your taxi journey, the meter will read $1.80 pesos. That's less than $1.00 U.S. The ratio is $3.00 peso to $1.00 U.S.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo

A DEAR TAXI DRIVE CALLED MANUELA

by RafaelTheSecond Written Oct 5, 2005

She is very kind, she is an expert in all the ways and corners of Buenos Aires and I am talking about a HUGE CITY. She is a great mother and beloved friend...Simply adorable, I spend almost one month in the city, and I used a lot of taxis, and taxis in Buenos Aires are like cockroaches in Senegal...THERE ARE BILLION OF TAXIS IN THE CITY, but she was the first woman I come across in my outings in the city, and to my surprise SHE IS A PILOT, extremely honest, she offers you many options for the fastest trip!

She works for the TAXI COMPANY RADIO TAXI PORTEÑO, and this company can be reached if you dial 4566-5777...

You can call and ask for Manuela, she is my great driver in Buenos Aires, and good, I just got one more good friend in a city that I really love!

With her you can go everywhere in Buenos Aires with safety!

Sept - LAST WEEK - 2005

She is a lady, her name is Manuela

• lizzytex's Profile Photo

Terrifying taxis!

by lizzytex Written Aug 9, 2005

If you are faint of heart, keep your eyes closed when riding in a taxi! Those guys are crazy - and I'm originally from NY so I should be used to it! You could be on a street made for 3 lanes of traffic, but the cars drive so close to one another and have no regard for the lane separators, that there will be six rows of cars instead. But I met some great taxi drivers and most of them were very pleasant and tried to speak to me even though their English wasn't that great and my Spanish is even worse!!!

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo

Taxi!!!

by IIGUANA Written Jul 31, 2005

If you want to move around Buenos Aires, the best and cheapest way to do it is by taxi. Don't even think about moving around in any kind of transport other than taxis. Affordable, safe and everywhere!!!

• lelyramires's Profile Photo

Catch a Cab

by lelyramires Written May 11, 2005

Porteños advise against taxis, they say it is very expensive and that there might be robberies and they usually do not have seatbelts for passengers.

Well, although some taxi drivers were very impolite and rude, none of them tried to rob or rip me off. They even offer a receipt for the run if you ask them. Some of them have those machines on the meter.

I don't think the run is expensive. Compared to other latin american countries, I guess it was the least expensive.
    I went all over and the most I paid was 15 Pesos, I guess.

There are also the remis, which are a "private driver service"
    Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.
    At the hotel they always called us cabs from private companies - you can always see if they are from a company cuz they have its name on the door, and the color are different, not always the yellow standard.
    I don't know if those company cabs are the Remis they talked about at the airport, but if so, well, there is no difference at all. Although at the Hotel we were informed that the company cabs are safer.
    Still, you might as well get a company cab if you get a card with a driver or if you see them go by on the street.

• Cabs

by MDC6 Updated Apr 24, 2005

Cabs are everywhere in Buenos Aires, and if you're in the center of the city, you won't have a problem catching one even in the middle of the night. Cab rides can be extremely cheap, so they're not a bad way to travel. I have heard warnings that you should always call a cab company and have them send one to get you because some cab drivers will rob you. I always just caught a cab on the street, even late at night by myself, and I never had a problem, but that's not to say it doesn't ever happen.

That said, I think the buses are a much more fun and interesting way to get around, unless you're in a rush. If you've got some time, take a COLECTIVO (see below for details).

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Extraordinary Taxista

by cochinjew Updated Mar 26, 2005

I have had incredible luck with taxi drivers around the world.. BA being no exception but Claudio Cohen is an exception to the other taxi drivers that i have met ( except of course Ramon with whom I have lost touch).
    During this visit, Claudio was there for us, any time of the day or night and almost always punctual.. are you really an argentine I asked him, because of his punctuality!
    He is a true porteno, a working class person, with a family and children. working hard to support them and with a cheerful face. He is of Turkish Jewish/Lebanese Jewish ancestry, so we had that also in common. We became such good friends that if i dont call him in the morning and tell him I am alright, he might just show up at the hotel and enquire. It is so good to have such a good taxi driver in Buenos Aires. In fact I have to say that he is the best taxi driver that i have ever met in my travels. People were surprised when I left my luggage with him on my trip north of the country and there he was waiting for us at the airport.. When I had to say good bye to my friend at the airport, Claudio took us to Ezeiza and waited till my friend left and we came back together, counselling my sadness over the recent departure.
    If you do meet him, tell him hello from Kadar that is what he calls me ( my hebrew surname)

claudio cohen taxista

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Taxis Everywhere

by Bwana_Brown Updated Mar 21, 2005

It was astonishing to look down onto Av. Callao from our hotel balcony and see the whole street crowded with the yellow and black taxis of Buenos Aires. Over 50% of the traffic was solely due to their presence!

For our first day of sight-seeing, we took a long walk to the area of the Casa Rosada (Presidential Palace) so we could take in the ambience of the city at our leisure. However, it was a hot 33 deg C day (90s F) so we were dragging by the afternoon. That was when we took our first taxi ride, from San Telmo district back to our hotel. We were impressed enough that we made their use a regular fixture in our remaining time in the city.

Step to the side of a curb anywhere in the city and 'whoosh' a taxi will pull up within 30 seconds. Ours all had the standard meter (and this is the type recommended) set at A$1.60 (US$0.55) as a base fare. These guys can negotiate the streets around BA without problems and we never seemed to get stuck in a traffic jam. A typical fare from our central hotel to the more distant Recoleta or La Boca districts was about A$6 (US$2) - hard to beat that!

I found it useful to have a small slip of paper with my destination written on it ('Callao 292' for instance) to avoid any possible language confusion! It is customary to tip the driver by rounding the fare up to the next A$ value (5.60 becomes 6.00).

Taxis at Plaza del Congreso

• lkdahl's Profile Photo

Taxis

by lkdahl Written Mar 11, 2005

Other people have said that to get a taxi in Buenos Aires you should call for a radio taxi. Hogwash!!! In my 2 trips in less than a year I have taken over 200 different taxis and I've always hailed them on the streets and never had any problems.

Just know what to look for when you are hailing a taxi. Look for a logo on the front door that say it's a radio taxi. Also look to see that there is a company logo on the back door. When you look in at the back seat, look for a licsense to be hanging from on the back of one of the front seats. If one or more of these are not present, then wave away the taxi and hail another one.

Not to say this is foolproof. There are 40,000+ taxis in Buenos Aires and there is bound to be some crooked taxi drivers. Just keep an eye on where he is taking you and if something doesn't feel right, then ask him to stop and get out. Also, never get into taxi from a tourist area, such as the Colon theatre. Walk a few blocks and grab a taxi from there.

Taxis are everywhere and very cheap. Most trips in and around Buenos Aires is between $4 - $10 pesos.

• clocki's Profile Photo

about taxis

by clocki Updated Feb 12, 2005

Well, I often read that you should use "radio taxis" in BsAs for security or whatever...
    This tip is a bit useless (or outdated?) if you don't know the name of a certain service, because it is hard to find a taxi *without* the word "radio" printed somewhere ;-)

Update: Used them at my last day to get to the bus terminal.
    From Corrientes (near Callao) to the Terminal: ca. 15 minutes and 5,80 peso
    and he took the shortest possible way, so my experience is quite good (but only one ride)

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo

The yellow/black taxis

by ptitetoile Written Dec 23, 2004

Next to the subte, the taxi is the best may to travel in Buenos Aires...and the only possibility at night!
    -The taxi in Buenos Aires is really cheap! Their basis rate is 1.44 pesos (in december 2004, divise it +/- by 4 for euros/dollars). So most of the time, you get a ride in the center (between Independencia and Corrientes) for less than 5 pesos.
    -You just have to wait 5 second to catch one during the day and maximum one minute during the night! Check out their inside light to see if they are free!
    -The car riders are often very talkative so, they are always a very good source of informations!

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Radio Taxi - Cheap and best

by XKuger Written Oct 26, 2004

I used Radio taxi's to go eveywhere. I found then to be very cheap and convenient. The most that I paid for a taxi was 10 pesos which is about 3US$.

I found that most taxi drivers were honest and did not run up the meter and took the shortest route to your destination.

Also I suggest that you keep conversation to a minimum and do not show that you are a tourist and they will not try to cheat you.

I did notice that a couple of time that the driver spoke to me and found that I was a touris they did try to take advantage, I quickly norticed one guy and asked him to stp and got off.

The subway is also very clean and convenient however it does not have as much a reach as buses and taxis can go.

• Orkaena's Profile Photo

Wandering the city

by Orkaena Written Jun 25, 2004

Buenos Aires has an excellent public transport net, by bus or metro, but if you like watch meanwhile moving from one point to other then your best choice is the taxi cab. Black with yellow roof this cars belongs to different companies, I recommend this company because is safe and fast. Prices are regulated by the city hall then prices are the same. Not expensive for foreigners.

Taxi card

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

Radio Taxi

by ncoutroulis Written Jun 22, 2004

Taxi's are so cheap in BA, but make sure it's a Radio Taxi. you can tell because the sign on the top wll say "radio Taxi". they are the safest of all the taxi's. Not that there are really unsafe one's, but things have been known to happen to tourists, who get into unlicensed taxi's. You're always better safe than sorry.

taxi
    • Singles
    • Business Travel

• pili's Profile Photo

Taxis

by pili Written Jun 9, 2004

They are black and yellow in color and thery are easily found on the cityýs main streets. You may hail a taxi on any corner but it is much safer to call one on the phone through radiotaxi services. The minimun fare is $1,28 and the passenger should pay the amount on the fare meter. Tipping is not required.

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires