Buenos Aires Warnings and Dangers

by easterntrekker
    by easterntrekker

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Buenos Aires

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Petty crime, pickpocketing - A big issue!

by spidermiss Updated Apr 4, 2011

Petty crime including pick pocketing is a big issue in Buenos Aires. It's rife especially on the crowded metro (subte), at the ominous station and in large gatherings in tourist areas.

There is no need to be paranoid providing you take the necessary precautions. The best prevention method is hiding your money and important documents and ensure these are out of sight. Using a money belt and putting this inside you is recommendable and only take what you need for the day when you explore the city. It is best not using a rucksack as you would stand out more as a target and, as for the ladies, a casual cotton bag is better for storing non valuable items. Avoid wearing jewellery including watches whilst out on the streets and take extra care of mobile phones and cameras.

It is very important to be vigilent and also to be aware and confident of your surroundings when travelling in the city as thieves can use distracting techniques tor relieving and stealing your possessions (One common distaction technique is when thieves splatter suncream onto you and your bags in a busy area. One of them tries to "help" you clean up while his or her partner steals your possessions). Whilst in public spaces, keep you bags and possessions with you at all times and don't place them on the floor and avoid hanging them on chairs. If you have to take valuables, especially laptops, these are best kept in your accommodation's safe.

No Go Areas!

by spidermiss Updated Mar 8, 2011

On my arrival in Buenos Aires (in January 2010), I was advised by locals where I should not travel to on my own. They advised me the following locations:

La Boca (Except Calle Caminito and the street up to the football stadium): Unfortunately, muggings are a fairly common occurance to outsiders in and it is strongly advised to take a round trip via taxi or the bus.
    The immediate area around Constitucion Subway and Railway Station.
    The immediate area around Once Subway and Railway Station (and Avenida Corrientes running through that area - updated in February 2011).
    The immediate area around Retiro Onimous Station, Subway, The Railway Station and the Barrio itself. The barrio is a poor area especially the Shanty town by the autopista (For catching buses, it's strongly advised to travel to the Onimous Station by taxi and also when arriving also get an official Remise or radio taxi from the station to the city centre).

At night times, it's advisable to be in groups; keep to the busy streets (but take care of your belongings) and use radio taxis.

If you're travelling on your own and want to experience the nightlife, it's best securing accommodation in the downtown or the upmarket (Northern Barrios) areas.

• Taking Pictures for Strangers, Using a Fake Camera

by djblacklock Written Mar 7, 2011

My elderly parents just got back from 3 weeks in South America (a cruise from Buenos Aires, and further south). One story that they told us was very interesting. My Dad went for a walk across the street from the Buenos Aires, Sheraton Hotel, to a park. He was approached by a couple who asked him to take their picture with their camera. He speaks Spanish and talked with them for a few minutes. When he took the picture, the so called camera squirted some type of sticky substance out of it, and onto his pants (thank goodness not into his face and eyes). He said that there was no "click" of the shutter, however, there was some type of a "pumping action" instead. He takes pictures all of the time, and is very aware of cameras and their workings. He may have known something was up, as he held the camera away from his face. The couple tried to assist him with the "clean up", however, he refused their services and wondered back to the hotel. He is not quite sure what was in the device, but was happy that he hadn't been pick pocketed or mugged, etc.

Please be aware of this situation / SCAM.

Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA

• Singles

• Thefts by bike

by baires11 Written Feb 2, 2011

Please be careful as this past Sunday I had my iPhone snatched out of my hand in front of me from a thief who came from behind on a bike and booked it. I have been very cautious with it - but it only takes a split second and it is gone!!!

• ines2003's Profile Photo

dwontwon street in weekend

by ines2003 Written Jan 14, 2011

i live in bs as Along the streets internal weekends of the center that is to say of the avenue 9 of July to plaza of May, they walk not alone, because the boys that live in the streets take advantage of that opportunity to steal the cell and money, to my me step that threatened me a knife and as they are doped is not known until they are capable of do.

• ines2003's Profile Photo

dwontwon street in weekend

by ines2003 Written Jan 14, 2011

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Protests

by easterntrekker Written Nov 20, 2010

There were several protest around the city during the five days we were here .They were relatively peaceful but a bit intimidating as they had a loud drum beat going on and sometimes attracted large followers.
    The armed police kept things orderly however but we thought it best to avoid the areas when possible.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Cash Only!!

by easterntrekker Written Nov 20, 2010

Word of caution though some restuarants do not accept credit cards and the ATM'sare a bit of a hike.
    Pat had to "stroll" 5 blocks to find one while I was "detained"This only happened once during our 5 days here put it pays to check!!

• peacebubbles's Profile Photo

Mom and young daughter travelling alone

by peacebubbles Updated Nov 9, 2010

Wow,
    I just bought tickets for my daughter (5) and I to travel (move there for a whole month) to Argentina. That was about a week ago, I have not slept since, On the internet looking for every gritty sentance about Buenos Aires I can find.

The reason I have been wanting to take the trip is that for the last two years I have been working as a polo groom and I swear to god I have never met anyone I like better than the masses of Argentines I work with in polo! I have been planning this trip for years and have heard nothing but encouragement up until today.

Somehow today after years of reasearch I have encountered so many malaties that I am considering not even going, much less taking my daughter who surly will not have the capacity to the play the part of a non tourist. While I speak relatively fluent spanish she just barely understands it. Also she is sooo blond, very attractive of attenticion. As I am a single woman and mother traveling alone with her, I now feel we may be targetd as suceptable. I actually wouldnt even be that scared of getting robbed or ripped off but the thought of the city actually being dangerous is new to me.

If anyone can refute this or provide words of encouragement I would really prefer not to just throw the plane tickets in the garbage and get out of this before it ruins my life.... please anyone. If there is any mom who has successfuly done this alone please let me know about it

• Singles

• sheherezad's Profile Photo

Baggage pilfering

by sheherezad Written Nov 1, 2010

I was warned by a VTer from BA about baggage pilfering (seems it occurs between the plane and the baggage carousel) and so decided to have my checked baggage sealed with that plastice wrap at KUL and EZE for my onward flight to SCL 2 days later plus my return flight via EZE where I had a 6 hr 20nmin lay over.

• sheherezad's Profile Photo

EZE worst airport??

by sheherezad Updated Nov 1, 2010

Is EZE the worst aiport in S America? Even SCL and LIM are so much better/modernised/signaged. EZE had the worst baggage claim area I saw of the three and the worst signage for connections I had ever encountered in my 32 years of travel - mind you, I have not done too much of the Third World, though!

I had to ask and ask and walk all over the place while weakened with the worst food poisoning I caught in a nice Santiago restaurant the night before my flight to KUL via EZE where I had 6hr 20 min transit (which was hell since nobody could direct me to a drugstore on the transit level, for me to buy some oral rehydration salts and charcoal to absorb the toxins in my guts - I was directed to a 'pharmacy' near Gate 5, instead, by someone fluent in English, working in the Duty-Free shop, just to find it was a sundry store of sorts!) Argh!!!

And AirCoffee wanted to charge me US$6 for a bottle of Gatorade I needed to rehydrate myself! And the staff rudely told me no 'wifi gratis' (which would have made the US$6 worth it though I was advised by an MH ground staff that they would give me the password if I bought something!). In the end, I had no choice but to pay the US$5.50 it turned out to be! Argh!!

And I had to encounter a rude female airline ground staff after arrival at the connection counter earlier, who excused herself by saying she's with S African Airways, when I tried to find out where to process my connection to my flight to KUL :( Argh!!

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Watch Where You Take Your Pictures

by TexasDave Updated Aug 1, 2010

I found out 'the hard way' that, due to security issues, it is illegal to take pictures of or around Jewish synagogues, Jewish community centers, etc.

I ignorantly took a picture of a city block containing a synagogue and a policeman on an ATV came flying out of nowhere and informed me of the above. I have to say, though, that he was very nice about it and I didn't feel threatened by the way he handled the encounter.

• WaRPer's Profile Photo

Fake "Bird Poop" Scam

by WaRPer Written Aug 1, 2010

Watch out for this one! I experienced it myself!! It happened in the far corner of Plaza de Mayo in an early afternoon. I traveled alone and was enjoying a stroll around the area. That was when a fake tourist couple (30 something y-o, looked like Peruvians) started yelling at me. They pointed out that a bird just pooped all over my back. In a matter of seconds, they reached me and pretended to help me cleaning out all the sh*t. (The weird thing was that they have a bottle of water ready in-hand, as well as tons of Kleanex). They then asked me to take off my sweater, and that means I have to hand them my backpack in order to take it off, so I decided not to. That was when the guy tried to 'inspect' my jeans pockets (luckily I didn't have anything in there). Once they couldn't get anything from me, they kinda left, just like that. I went back to the hostel and had my laundry done. Later that day I talked to the lady who took care of my clothes, she said the stain doesn't look like bird poop at all, but instead, just simple mixture of haircare products! So be very careful y'all, don't let this cheap frickin' scam get to you!

• Hold onto your small change!

by kirstiemacdonald Written Jul 19, 2010

Back home I hate coins jingling around my pocket and always try to spend them. Here (and don't ask why) no-one ever has any coins. Hold onto yours for bus fares ($1.10-1.25, they don't accept notes) and change notes whenever you have the opportunity. Taxi drivers will often expect you to round up to the nearest peso if you don't, even though the customer always has the right to have change given in their favour, ie. if the taxi driver doesn't have change you should pay less not more.

Taxi Scams

by spidermiss Updated Jul 18, 2010

This can be a fairly common occurence for taxi drivers to overcharge or short change travellers. It is best using radio taxis and booking these in advance. When going into a taxi, ensure the meters are switched on and double check the estimated cost. It is strongly advised to have the correct change or use small change for paying the fare especially that fake peso can be used as change. Majority of the time, the taxi drivers are honest but there are some who would take advantage.

Instant Answers: Buenos Aires

Comments

Buenos Aires Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Buenos Aires warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Buenos Aires sightseeing.