Parque de España Auditorium
This open-air venue is available for concerts and shows and is part of the facilities of the “Centro Cultural Parque de España” (Spanish Park Cultural Center). It seats 500 people and stands on an impressive site, overlooking the river.
For almost two decades, this Auditorium was used exclusively by the “Colegio Español” (Spanish School situated in the same grounds); however, in May 2011, it was opened to the general public and has now an independent access at the highest point in the park (Av. del Huerto & Mitre).
The Auditorium being outdoors, productions begin in spring and continue through the greater part of fall, constituting another attraction of the Cultural Center, much like the events that take place in its galleries and in the “Príncipe de Asturias” Theater.
Rosario offers an abundance of artistic and cultural activities. From jazz to Argentine folkloric music, tango and rock and roll, from comedy to one-actor shows, from puppet shows to plays, every genre is available.
The city keeps reinventing itself through artistic expressions that are part of Argentina’s Cultural Heritage. Its streets are filled with small theaters and performance halls that offer a variety of shows. Some of these are:
“La Sede” Bar (including the space “Subsede Concert”)
Address: San Lorenzo & Entre Ríos.
Tel: +54 (341) 425 4071.
Web site: www.barlasede.com.ar.
Mateo Booz Performance Hall
Address: San Lorenzo 2243.
Tel: +54 (341) 425 9288.
Saulo Benavente Performance Hall
Address: Alem & Gaboto.
Tel: +54 (341) 481 4785.
“Del Rayo” Theater
Address: Salta 2991.
Tel: +54 (341) 436 0454
Performance Hall of the Association of Commerce Employees
Address: Corrientes 450.
Tel: +54 (341) 421 9006.
“De la Cooperación” Performance Hall
Address: San Martín 1371.
Tel: +54 (341) 425 1337.
When it comes to Cinematography, Rosario is full of options. The city has everything from downtown alternative theaters playing independent films to large, modern facilities.
“El Cairo” Movie Theater
Address: Santa Fe 1120.
Tel: + (341) 472 1851.
Web site: www.elcairocinepublico.blogspot.com
Built in 1913, it is the oldest movie theater in the city. After being closed for some time, the provincial government restored the building, which, as of December 2008, houses the first public movie theater in the Province of Santa Fe.
Monumental Movie Theater
Address: San Martín 997.
Tel: +54 (341) 421 6289.
Web site: www.complejomonumental.com.ar
The Monumental Movie Theater has 9 auditoriums and seats over 1000 people. Air-conditioning. Digital sound system. State-of-the-art screen. Fast food. Candy store. Free parking.
Sunstar Movie Theater
Address: Nansen 323 (corner of Nansen and Mercante Streets), “Portal Rosario” Shopping Center.
Tel: +54 (341) 454 7427.
Web site: www.cinesunstar.com
It has 8 auditoriums with Dolby Digital Sound, air-conditioning, a candy store, and a 3D auditorium.
Show Case Cinemas
Address: Junín 501, “Alto Rosario” Shopping Center.
Tel: +54 (341) 436 0500.
Web site: www.todoshowcase.com
It has 14 stadium seating auditoriums, fully-equipped with the latest technology, wall-to-wall widescreens and Dolby Digital Sound. The auditoriums are air-conditioned and soundproofed. The seats recline, have armrests and cup holders.
Address: Eva Perón 5856.
Tel: +54 0810 810 2463.
Web site: www.villagecines.com
First-rate auditoriums, including some 3D ones. The building has a disability ramp and handicapped bathroom stalls. There is also a video game arcade and a bowling alley.
“Arteón” Movie Theater
Address: Sarmiento 778, upper floor.
Tel: +54 (341) 426 8841.
Web site: www.arteon.com.ar
Seating 209 spectators, it screens independent films and the tickets are inexpensive. Theater and music performances, together with performing arts workshops, are also held there regularly.
“Del Siglo” Movie Theater
Address: Rioja 1660, “Paseo del Siglo” Shopping Center, 2nd floor.
Tel: +54 (341) 425 0761/ 530 7007.
It has 4 auditoriums and a total of 700 seats. Dolby Digital Sound. Air-conditioning. Comfortable seats. Candy store.
“Madre Cabrini” Movie Theater
Address: Pellegrini 669.
Tel: +54 (341) 485 0020.
El Círculo Theater
It is the most important Theater in the city and one of the most prominent ones in the country. It was built in 1904, in the Italian Neoclassical style. The acoustic conditions of its main concert hall are said to be among the finest in the world.
The building and its acoustic aspect were designed by the German engineer George Goldammer, who was inspired by the technological advances introduced in Milan’s “Scala” Theater, London´s Covent Garden and Madrid’s “Teatro Real” (Royal Theater). With elegant and symmetrical interiors, the main hall, which seats 1500, has a semicircle design, characteristic of this great Italian-style Theater.
Imported materials were used for the interior decoration, done by the best-known craftsmen of the time. Artists of the stature of Salvador Zaino, Luis Levoni, Domingo Fontana and Giuseppe Carmignani, who reproduced Giovanni Borghesi´s “The Triumph of Pallas Athena” on the hall’s curtain, left their imprint on the marble from Carrara, the French chandeliers and the Italian majolica floor.
The Theater was inaugurated on 4 June 1904 with a performance of Giuseppe Verdi’s “Othello” that became an artistic and social milestone for the city. Since then, the best companies in the world have graced its stage, where, at times, a different opera was performed each day.
At present, it still specializes in offering various kinds of music performances, but it has also turned into a space open to other artistic and cultural activities.
Its Own Museum
The catacombs of “El Círculo” house the Museum of Religious Art, which contains pieces by the renowned artist Eduardo Barnes.
Address: Laprida 1235.
Tel: +54 (341) 448 3784/ 424 5349.
For information on guided tours, please contact the Theater.
La Comedia Municipal Theater
This Theater hosts a variety of local and national artistic events, being part of the cultural heritage of the city. Its concert halls have been graced by the most distinguished theater actors, directors and companies in the country.
The history of “La Comedia” began in 1894, in a large warehouse which, thanks to the people of the neighborhood, eventually became an important locale for Rosario’s theater life. Its grand opening was in 1902, when the lights went on and the curtain up for the premiere of the play “Canillita” (Paperboy), by Uruguayan playwright Florencio Sánchez. Later performances included “zarzuelas” (Spanish operettas), plays centered on local customs (“costumbristas”) and Gaucho plays. National comedy sketches, Grotesque plays in the style of Armando Discépolo, Creole plays and those produced by the literary movement of the 1960s were also staged in “La Comedia.” This Theater has hosted the likes of Lola Membrives, Enrique Muiño, Pepe Arias, Pedro López Lagar, Elsa O'Connor, Margarita Xirgu, Mecha Ortiz, Tita Merello, Armando Discépolo, Antonio Cunil Cabanellas, Alberto Closas and Arturo García Buhr, among many other actors and directors.
In 1999, ownership of the building was transferred to the municipal government. The final curtain dropped, the limelight went off, and the place was turned into a movie theater. However, due to the commitment and efforts of the community, the space was returned to its original use. On 19 June 2002, it reopened its doors as part of the celebrations of the 150th anniversary of the City of Rosario. At present, all types of local and national artistic events are held in its premises.
Address: Mitre 950.
Tel: +54 (341) 480 2597/ 991.
With 2000 seats, the Broadway Theater opened its doors in 1927 under the name “Gran Cine y Varieté La Bolsa” (“La Bolsa” Grand Movie and Variety Theater). At the time, it was the largest one of its kind in Rosario. Its stage was graced by the likes of Carlos Gardel and Libertad Lamarque.
Boasting an exceptional location at the heart of the commercial district, the history of this Theater has been closely linked to Rosario’s cultural life. In its beginnings, towards 1929, it welcomed Josephine Baker, the American artist who, in those days, had already charmed audiences throughout the Old Continent. At the same time, the Theater hosted performances by many Argentine stars, whose voices still resonate in the concert hall—particularly, those of Gardel, who sang there in 1933, and Libertad Lamarque.
The greatest movies of the history of film were also screened there, including French motion pictures from the 1940s and iconic Hollywood comedies.
In 1999, the final curtain dropped and the place was shrouded in silence for a brief period of time, until it was restored by the Association of Broadway Theater Enthusiasts, reopening its doors on 7 November 2002. That night, the limelight was as bright as it had been during the best galas of old. Today, it is a perfect environment to perform plays and to hold recitals, ballet presentations and multidisciplinary events at the very core of the city.
Address: San Lorenzo 1223.
Tel: +54 (341) 446 2000.
Fundación Astengo Auditorium
Inaugurated at the end of the 1960s, it was the result of Héctor Ignacio Astengo´s passion for his home city. Since then, this Theater, capable of seating 1100 people, has been one of the cultural landmarks of Rosario.
Born in 1895, Héctor Ignacio Astengo studied Law in Rosario, but never practiced, deciding instead to manage his family’s farms, which were spread across the Province of Santa Fe. In the 1940s, the circumstances of life took him to Canada and, later, to Paris. However, he always harbored the wish to come back to Rosario to start a cultural project that would help raise the educational and artistic level of the city. His wish came true in 1967, after he bought his brothers out of their share of the Odeon Theater, which they had inherited from their parents.
Today, this magnificent building, a replica of an Italian theater from the mid-19th century, belongs to the Héctor I. Astengo Foundation, which keeps alive its founder’s spirit of commitment to local Art and Culture. Another noteworthy fact is that, over twenty years ago, the Rosario branch of the “Mozarteum” (civic association that promotes classical music) chose this Auditorium as its headquarters.
Address: Mitre 754.
Tel: +54 (341) 448 1150/ 448 3068.
Humberto de Nito Municipal Auditorium
Seating about 3000 people, this Auditorium replicates an open-air Greek theater. Its design makes the most of natural acoustic conditions, integrating the stage and the stands to the slope of the “Parque Urquiza” (Urquiza Park).
Excavations for the Auditorium began in the early 1950s, but it was inaugurated in 1971, having been designed by architects Giménez Rafuls and Solari Viglieno. During its early years, it was called “The Greek Theater;” however, later on, it was renamed “Humberto de Nito,” in memory of a well-known local composer.
Its location is exceptional: minutes away from the Flag Memorial, it is surrounded by the green fields of the “Parque Urquiza” (Urquiza Park), which is separated from the riverbank by “Avenida Belgrano,” so that, from the highest point in the park, there is a view of the river.
Presently, the Auditorium is available for cultural events, shows and concerts. The festival “Rosario under the Stars,” featuring international, national and local artists, has been taking place there every summer for over a decade. At the same time, from April to October on Sunday afternoons, local rock bands hold concerts at the venue, as part of the project “Rosario is Rock&Roll.” The admission is free.
Address: Avenida Belgrano 100 bis, “Parque Urquiza” (Urquiza Park).
Tel: +54 (341) 480 2540.
Julio Marc Provincial Museum of History
At the center of the “Parque de la Independencia” (Independence Park), this Museum is made up of more than 30 rooms that hold historical collections of Spanish American Art, coins and medals, pre-Columbian objects and textiles, as well as a large number of antique weapons.
The Aboriginal America Room, the Conquest and Evangelization Room and the Silver Altar testify to the richness and diversity of the aboriginal cultures which inhabited, not merely this region, but the entire American Continent. They also speak of the various changes and conflicts stemming from the arrival of the Conquistadors in the 16th century. Other events deriving from the latter are also reflected in the Museum: the coming of the missionaries and the use of Old-World tools and scientific advances, which, coupled with the skills of the indigenous population, resulted in a wealth of art objects.
Moreover, the Museum has a Library and a General Archive that are priceless to those interested in local and national history. In addition to books, magazines and periodical publications from Rosario, Santa Fe and other parts of the country (like “Caras y Caretas” and “Fray Mocho”), there is a well-equipped Newspaper and Periodicals Library, with newspapers from the region and a great variety of printed and handwritten documents dating back to the 16th century. Finally, the space also boasts a wide range of historical maps, including maps of Rosario, and a vast Archive of photos, cards, programs and bank notes.
Other Museum Activities and Facilities:
- Temporary exhibitions
- Access to specialized literature for researchers and experts, with the aid of the staff
- Tours and workshops for educational institutions
- Courses, lectures and conferences
- An Auditorium to hold professional conferences
Address: “Parque de la Independencia” (Independence Park).
Tel: +54 (341) 472 1457.
Library Web site: www.bibliotecamuseomarc.com.ar.
Tuesdays to Fridays from 9 am to 5 pm. Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 2 pm to 6 pm.
Ángel Gallardo Provincial Museum of Natural Science
This Museum opened its doors in 1945 with the aim of illustrating the complexity and importance of life in all its manifestations. The exhibits are mostly related to Zoology, Botany, Mineralogy, Paleontology and Anthropology.
On 23 August 1945, the General Education Council of the Province of Santa Fe decided to inaugurate the Museum and to name it “Ángel Gallardo,” in memory of a prestigious Argentine naturalist and man of Science. This Institution was created as a branch of the Ameghino Museum of Natural Science of the city of Santa Fe, but, in 1950, its management was handed over to the Ministry of Justice and Education of the Province.
The collections grew thanks to Professor Pascual Maciá, who was initially the Museum’s Manager and later became its Director. He personally took the pieces donated by the Santa Fe Museum to the new building, while also donating his own private collections.
In time, the Museum came to have 16 rooms for permanent and temporary exhibitions, a library, a lab, a taxidermy workshop, a Didactics Department, a Design Department, storage areas, as well as maintenance and restoration areas.
On 1 July 2003, a fire destroyed most of the building-a serious blow for the Museum. It was not until mid-2006 that it reopened its doors on San Lorenzo 1951 and that a new stage in its development began.
Address: San Lorenzo 1951.
Tel: +54 (341) 472 1449.
Tours: Tuesdays to Fridays from 9 am to 6 pm. Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 2 pm to 7 pm.
Stock Exchange Museum
This Museum helps understand the origins of the grain market in Rosario and the rest of the region, while analyzing its transactions and explaining how important it became at the national level. The tour is aimed at stressing the role of the Stock Exchange in the development of the region and of honor as a tacit and unquestionable component of commercial agreements.
The tour ends with an illustration of what Grain Trading Sessions used to be like. For educational purposes, the exhibits include documents with relevant info, displays of objects and portfolios, brochures and audiovisual aids.
Address: Córdoba 1402.
Tel: +54 (341) 421 3471. Extension: 78. 2121.
Web site: www.bcr.com.ar
“La Capital” Newspaper Museum
“La Capital” is the grandfather of Argentine newspapers, having been founded by Ovidio Lagos on 15 November 1867. Its Museum includes an interactive, mock editorial room, an exhibit room and an auditorium. It also holds the manual printing press used to print the first issue of the newspaper, together with all six parts of the Gross rotary printing press (each of which weighs 25 tons), made in the USA and used as of 1937 to print the now-traditional broadsheet edition.
Additionally, visitors may see all the devices that were necessary for the printing process to take place: fully-restored Linotypes®, labeling machines, metal types, matrices. Hot metal typesetting, which involved a slug-casting method, was replaced with cold typesetting in 1980. With the rising use of the computer, the lead-based printing system gradually stopped being used.
Also part of the collection are two rotary printing presses about two decades older than the one mentioned above. Clichés, cast slugs and a machine for drawing squares may be seen on the table on which the newspaper used to be put together. Finally, there is a movie from 1998 which shows what it was like to work with the old rotary printing press, at a time when computers were not yet in use.
Address: Sarmiento 763.
Tel: +54 (341) 522 6076.
Barnes Museum of Religious Art
Located in the catacombs of “El Círculo” Theater, it comprises more than one hundred master copies in plaster of Eduardo Barnes’s religious sculptures. Particularly noteworthy are fourteen rectangular reliefs depicting the Stations of the Cross, fifteen circular reliefs portraying the Mysteries, a large relief representing the Last Supper—in it, twelve sets of hands express, more so than any face, the Disciples´ reactions to Jesus´ words—a statue of Our Lady of the Rosary, one of St Peter pointing to Heaven, the artist having deliberately exaggerated the size of one hand in order to underscore His message, and, lastly, that of St Anthony preaching to the fish, since Mankind refused to pay heed.
Born in Rosario, on 24 March 1901, Eduardo Barnes had a long career and became a prominent sculptor on account of his many religious pieces in stone, wood and bronze. This artist found in the depths of “El Círculo” the perfect space to carry out his craft. Today, his pieces are exhibited in that very place.
Guided Tours: Wednesdays and Fridays at 10:30 am and 5 pm. Saturdays at 10:30 am.
Address: “El Círculo” Theater (Mendoza & Laprida).
Tel: +54 (341) 424 5349/ 448 3784.
Museum of the Paraná River and its Islands
Opposite the Flag Memorial, it contains the work of one of the artists that best reflected life at the Upper Delta of the Paraná River, together with its myths and legends: painter Raúl Domínguez. It displays aboriginal and other types of ships, as well as replicas of houses typical of the islands. It also contains archeological pieces and traditional regional items.
Address: “Estación Fluvial de Rosario” (Rosario’s River Station), Av. Belgrano & Rioja.
Tel: +54 (341) 440 0751.
Municipal Astronomical Facility
Situated in the 2nd floor of the Luis C. Carballo Planetarium, it is divided into different areas: Mathematics, Physics, Science and Technology, Astronomy and Astronautics, Geology, Chemistry and Biology.
It also has two special sectors: Science for Kids and Audiovisual Science, where children can use, under the supervision of specialized guides, didactic equipment on magnetism, electricity, pressure, mechanics, light and sound.
Other available activities include experiments involving optics, lasers, static electricity and the propagation of electromagnetic radiation, as well as looking through telescopes and microscopes.
Courses and conferences are also held there. The aids used for these are: audiovisual material—such as special movies on film, science and computing, mockups, photographs, panels and other elements—and experimental material, which is interactive.
Address: “Parque Urquiza” (Urquiza Park).
Tel: +54 (341) 480 2554/ 3.
This artistic project started in the City of Buenos Aires in April 2006, as the brainchild of the OSDE Foundation. It extended to Rosario in March 2007, its aim being to encourage and promote local and regional Art.
Address: Bv. Oroño 973, 4th, 5th and 6th floors.
“Art to the Streets” Urban Museum
This open-air Museum consists of works by artists from Rosario which have been painted on a large scale onto party walls, making up circuits that allow people to see the paintings as they walk through the city.
This idea is but one more example of why Rosario is as a city in which Art and Culture are expressed with creativity and are available to everyone. In this manner, Berni´s, Schiavoni´s, Vanzo´s, Gambartes´s, Bertolé´s and Ouvrard´s beautiful strokes caress building walls, entering the urban landscape and becoming part of everyday life.
The open-air Museum has different circuits.
Juan B. Castagnino Municipal Museum of Fine Art
Standing in a corner next to the “Parque de la Independencia” (Independence Park), it is one of Argentina’s landmark museums. Its large collection includes pieces which are highly representative of the country’s Art history.
Inaugurated on 7 December 1937, this Museum, housed in a magnificent building designed by architect Hilarión Hernández Larguía, has the bonus of being close to the “Parque de la Independencia” (Independence Park) and its greenery. It is home to a historical collection that used to belong to the first Museum of Fine Art (1920) and which has been enlarged throughout the 20th century thanks to a great many bequests and donations.
It has two permanent exhibitions: “European Paintings from the 15th to the 20th Centuries” and “Argentine Painting: from its Origins to the Present Day.” These include works by Ribera, Goya, Van Heemskerk, Zubiaurre, Sorrolla, Sisley, Daubigny, Prilidiano Pueyrredón, Fader, Petorutti, Spilimbergo, Guttero, Quinquela Martín, Berni, Soldi, Musto, Schiavoni, Ouvrard, Guido, Lucio Fontana, Gambartes, Herrero Miranda, Uriarte, Ottmann, Piccoli and McEntyre.
The exhibition on Argentine Art comprehends every artistic field and is highly illustrative of the history of Art in the country, while paying special tribute to artists from Rosario. Most remarkable amongst the European pieces are four series of engravings by Francisco de Goya: The Caprices, The Follies, The Disasters of War and The Art of Bullfighting.
Castagnino + Macro
With the arrival of the 21st century, the Castagnino Museum reaffirmed its original policy: to enlarge its collection and to focus on Argentine Contemporary Art. Having its own collection as a basis, within a few years, the Museum came to hold more than 300 pieces, which could no longer be housed in the original building.
This led to the opening of the Museum of Contemporary Art of Rosario (Spanish Acronym: MACRO) in 2004, at the site of the former Davis Grain Silos. This building, restored by the municipal government, stands at the head of “Boulevard Oroño,” on the sloping bank of the Paraná River. It consists of a ten-storey tower: seven of the stories contain exhibition rooms.
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 2 pm to 8 pm. Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 1 pm to 7 pm. Closed on Tuesdays.
Address: Av. Pellegrini & Bv. Oroño.
Tel: +54 (341) 480 2542/ 480 2543.
Museum of Contemporary Art of Rosario (Spanish Acronym: MACRO)
This Museum is situated in what used to be a set of silos for storing grain, in the grounds of the old port of the early 20th century. Facing the river, it houses the most important collection of Contemporary Art in Argentina.
MACRO was conceived as a Museum that was to exhibit pieces which have helped set the foundations of Contemporary Art, as is the case with five engravings by Antonio Berni—which are part of the “Juanito Laguna” Series and received an award at the 1962 Venice Biennale—Lucio Fontana´s “Space Concept” (1951) and paintings that have won the Rosario Award, such as those by Juan del Prete and Raquel Forner, all of which pieces were part of the collection of the Juan B. Castagnino Museum of Fine Art. Additional contributions included works by artists from the Di Tella Institute and Rosario’s avant-garde movement of the 1960s.
Joining these ranks were pieces by authors who were at the forefront of artistic development in the 20th century: Raúl Lozza, Claudio Girola, Enio Iommi, Antonio Seguí, Luis Fernando Benedit, Marta Minujín, Clorindo Testa, Liliana Porter, Rogelio Polesello, Edgardo Giménez, Margarita Paksa, Pablo Suárez, Alfredo Hlito, Luis Felipe Noé and Kenneth Kemble. But the collection reflects, in greater scope and above all, the 1990s´scene. Finally, during 2005, works exemplifying the artistic movements of the Provinces of Tucumán, Córdoba, Buenos Aires and, afterwards, Mendoza were also added to the space.
Address: Bv. Oroño, next to the Paraná River.
Tel: + 54 (341) 480 4981/ 2.
Thursdays to Tuesdays from 2 pm to 8 pm. Closed on Wednesdays. Guided tours every day for the general public at 6 pm (winter and summer).
Tours for schools: please make your booking on +54 (341) 480 4981/ 2 (from 2 pm onwards) or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Firma & Odilo Estévez Museum of Decorative Art
At the heart of the historic center of the city, this Museum houses a permanent collection of European paintings from the 17th to the 19th centuries, ivory objects, Spanish American silver, tapestries, rugs, glassware, porcelain and sculptures.
Inaugurated on 8 July 1968, the place was bequeathed by Firma Mayor de Estévez to the city in memory of her husband, Odilo Estévez. The bequest comprised the couple’s house and the works of art and items that they had collected during almost thirty years.
Located on Santa Fe St, opposite the “Plaza 25 de Mayo” (Main Square surrounded by the City Hall, the Cathedral and the Central Post Office), it is part of a group of buildings of great architectural value, a testimony to Rosario’s historical development.
The collection includes paintings by Goya, Magnasco, David, Mattia Preti, Eugenio Lucas and Vicente López y Portaña. There is Spanish-style furniture from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, high-quality replicas of French furniture from the 18th century and post-colonial pieces from the River Plate Area.
The Museum also holds 19th century French and Italian sculptures, early 20th century Argentine sculptures, European and Eastern ivory objects, antique glassware, porcelain, pottery, jade objects, tapestries, Spanish and Eastern rugs, fans and a valuable collection of Spanish American silver.
Address: Santa Fe 748.
Tel: +54 (341) 480 2547.
Wednesdays to Fridays from 2 pm to 7 pm. Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 10 am to 7 pm. Also available are audio guides with the description of each room.
“Pago de los Arroyos” Tour: Saturdays at 10:30 am.
Museum of Memory
It records Argentina’s recent history by studying and raising awareness about the events that unfolded during the military coups that took place between 1976 and 1983. It has been acknowledged as a place of national interest and is one of the first museums of its kind in Latin America.
The Museum of Memory is a space to keep alive the memory of the men and women who experienced and witnessed the last military coup in Argentina. The idea behind the project is to refuse to forget, to preserve the stories of the disappeared and of the people detained during those dark years, as well as to dwell on the causes and consequences of the actions of an authoritarian State on civilian populations. Institutionally-speaking, the Museum is comprised of a specialized library and video library with an abundance of documentary info, as well as educational and research departments, all of which are enriched by art exhibitions, book presentations, seminars, training sessions, forums and discussion boards centered on recent history and the human condition.
Address: Córdoba 2019.
Tel: +54 (341) 480 2060/ 62.
Tuesdays to Fridays from 9 am to 5 pm. Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 2 pm to 6 pm.
Representing the collective memory of Rosario’s inhabitants, this Museum sums up the political, cultural, social and economic processes undergone by the city, from the time it was but a small village up to the present.
The City Museum is a space for people to know and understand their community, its history, cultural productions and founders, while acknowledging the individuals and institutions that made it possible for Rosario to exist. It is also a place in which visitors may learn about the historical aspects that explain the idiosyncrasy of the city’s inhabitants.
Address: Bv. Oroño 2300, “Parque de la Independencia” (Independence Park).
Tel: +54 (341) 480 8665.
Tuesdays to Fridays from 9 am to 6 pm. Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 1 pm to 7 pm.
Photo Archive, Library and Document Archive: from 9 am to 2 pm.
Scalabrini Ortiz Park
Part of the government plan “Rosario on the Move,” the “Parque Scalabrini Ortiz” (Scalabrini Ortiz Park) is a recreational area with restricted vehicle access used to promote activities such as cycling, roller-skating, athletics and walking.
On 7 April 2010, World Health Day, this Park was made a part of the municipal plan “Rosario on the Move” with the inauguration of a 2 km-pedestrian path (1.2 miles) open from Mondays to Fridays between 6 pm and 8:30 pm. As a result, people can now skate, roller-skate or ride their bicycles safely in the Park.
Restricted Vehicle Access: Mondays to Fridays from 6 pm to 8:30 pm.
Location: area delimited by Central Argentino, Mongsfeld & Alberdi Avenues.
In the northern area of Rosario, "Parque Alem" (Alem Park) acts as an extension of the old Arroyito Walk. Situated by the Paraná River, this striking green space boasts a Cultural Center, a swimming pool complex and sports venues.
Among the old trees you will find pergolas, gardens, pedestrian bridges and playgrounds. Apart from the “Parque Alem” Cultural Center and the L. N. Alem Swimming Pool Complex, the area is home to a Sports Center that introduces people to sports, a Sports Development Center, a track aimed at practicing for driving exams, a campsite owned by the Municipal Workers´ Union and the wharf of the local Fishing Center.
The attractions near the Park include the stadium of the Rosario Central soccer club (one of the sites of the 1978 World Cup) and the “Portal Rosario” Shopping Center.
Location: “Avenida de los Trabajadores,” between the Ludueña Stream and the Paraná River.
De los Constituyentes Park
In the Northwestern District of Rosario, the “Bosque de los Constituyentes” extends over a large wooded area that is ideal for walks, bicycle rides and bird-watching, while also including a playground.
Although it covers 300 hectares (around 743 acres), only 20 (about 50 acres) are open to the public. The playground is in this area, which also has toilets, drinking water, electricity and a multi-purpose room available for bookings.
Next to the Ludueña Stream, the Park invites visitors to embrace nature. It has more than 40,000 trees of different kinds and a small artificial lake with water plants, frogs and snails. It also has horses and llamas—which were taken to the Park after the local zoo closed down—together with turtles, ducks, geese, herons and other wild birds.
The vegetation includes: casuarina trees, cypresses, poplars, ash trees, monkey puzzle trees, acacias, plane trees, ceibo trees, willows, oaks, ombu trees, liquidambars, white mulberry trees, pecan trees, Russian silverberries, palo borracho trees, eucalyptus trees, terebinths, elms, jacarandas, yatay and other types of palm tree (butias, Washingtonias, Canary island date palms, queen palms).
Getting Here: through Circunvalación Avenue up to Newbery Avenue, then straight through Newbery until you reach Tarragona Street. Turn right and follow Tarragona Street up to Los Glaciares Street. You should see the entrance to the Park. You can also take buses No. 142 and 146 (red line).
On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at sundown, you can enjoy the Dancing Waters at the “Parque de la Independencia” (Independence Park). In this unique show, the movement of the water is synchronized with sound and light effects.
On the weekends, public holidays and their eves, it is one of the most popular attractions in the Park. The light effects accompany the streams of water, which dance to specially selected music and reach great heights.
Shows: Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays and their eves.
Address: Oroño 1800-1900, “Parque de la Independencia” (Independence Park).
It is a green space of remarkable size at the heart of Rosario. The Park is home to museums, playgrounds and to the stadium of the Newell’s Old Boys soccer team. The most distinctive sight is the lake with its boats, bridges and nearby paths.
“Parque de la Independencia” (Independence Park) is the largest and most traditional park in Rosario. It was designed around the year 1900 by the acclaimed French-born landscape architect Charles Thays to celebrate the 100 anniversary of Argentina’s Independence from Spain (1810-1910).
The most popular corner of the Park is the square next to the lake, where visitors can enjoy a ride on paddle boats during the day and admire Dancing Waters during the night. Close by, there is the Children’s Garden and, crossing “Boulevard Oroño,” the International Park (an amusement park), two attractions that make this area a favorite with children.
Another way to enjoy the Park is to stop for something to eat at one of its bars near the lake, or to visit its acclaimed museums. The Park houses the City Museum and the Julio Marc Provincial History Museum. Moreover, crossing “Avenida Pellegrini” (at the intersection with “Boulevard Oroño”), stands the Juan B. Castagnino Municipal Museum of Fine Art.
This extensive green space is also the site of the “Parque de la Independencia” Exhibition Center (formerly known as “La Rural”), the horse racing tracks, the stadium of the Newell’s Old Boys soccer team, “El Rosedal” Square (Rose Garden), a pigeon loft and the sports venues of the sports clubs “Provincial” and “Gimnasia & Esgrima de Rosario.”
The Park is divided into four sections, each alluding to a different body of immigrants who helped give birth to the city:
- The French Garden, inspired by the aristocratic gardens of France.
- The British Sector, which houses two establishments that were representative of the British community of Rosario in the early 20th century: the Newell’s Old Boys soccer stadium and the horse racing tracks.
- The Spanish Sector with “El Rosedal” Square and its majolica fountain, a donation from the Spanish crown.
- The Italian Sector, made up of a square with a statue of the Italian patriot Giuseppe Garibaldi.
Opening hours for row and paddle boat rental:
- Fall/winter: every day from 10 am to 7 pm.
- Spring/summer: every day from 10 am to 12 midnight.
Location: “Boulevard Oroño,” “Boulevard 27 de Febrero,” Pellegrini & Ovidio Lagos.
Including a noteworthy Cultural Center, the “Parque de España” (Spanish Park) offers visitors an array of walks and an impressive grand staircase overlooking the Paraná River in downtown Rosario. It is one of the best locations to admire the river, which gives the city much of its idiosyncrasy.
Regarded as one of the most modern public undertakings in Argentina, it is a wonderful platform from which to see the National Flag Memorial to the South and the riverside road leading up to the Rosario-Victoria Bridge to the North. The Park is within downtown Rosario and but a few steps away from bars and restaurants with a view of the Paraná River. It also includes an area where young people roller-skate, skate and ride their bicycles.
The “Parque de España” Cultural Center is another key attraction: it includes a high-school, conference and exhibition rooms, a video library, a library and the “Príncipe de Asturias” Theater. Additionally, there is a small open-air auditorium with the riverside landscape as a backdrop.
Address: Sarmiento Street, next to the Paraná River.
“Parque de España” Cultural Center (Spanish Park Cultural Center)
Tel: +54 (341) 426 0941/ 4574.
Web site: www.ccpe.org.ar
Administration Opening Hours: Mondays to Fridays from 9 am to 3 pm.
Art Galleries: Tuesdays to Sundays from 7 am to 9 pm until 2 February.
National Flag Park
Framing the National Flag Memorial, the "Parque Nacional a la Bandera" encompasses walks and groves by the Paraná River. It is the site of the “Estación Fluvial” (River Station) with its bars and restaurants, the Malvinas (Falklands) War Memorial and street markets.
This is a distinctive public space, enjoyed by Rosario locals and doubling as a venue for special events. On 20 June every year, a civilian-military parade and a public ceremony are held there to celebrate Argentine Flag Day. Other events that take place at this venue are the “Feria de las Colectividades” (a fair held every year, which sells food from different nationalities) and a range of free shows.
The “Estación Fluvial” (River Station) is at the edge of the Park. From there, visitors can take a ferry to the island nicknamed “El Banquito,” in order to relax at one of its beaches and bars. Besides the wharf, the River Station has several restaurants.
Visitors can also wander off to the Malvinas (Falklands) War Memorial, or pay a visit to the handicraft stands at the “La Fluvial” Street Market and the “Del Bajo” Flea Market. Farther down the Park are the warehouses that make up the Center of Contemporary Expression (Spanish Acronym: CEC).
Location: area delimited by 1.º de Mayo Street, the Paraná River, Sargento Cabral & San Juan Streets
Very popular for walking and outdoor activities, the “Parque Urquiza” (Urquiza Park) is located in downtown Rosario, on the banks of the Paraná River. This history-filled area is home to the Municipal Auditorium and the Municipal Astronomical Facility.
Overlooking the river, the Park is minutes away from the National Flag Memorial. It was named after General Justo José de Urquiza, who was President of Argentina from 1854 to 1860.
The Humberto de Nito Municipal Auditorium and the Municipal Astronomical Facility—which includes the Luis Cándido Carballo Planetarium, the Experimental Science Museum and the Víctor Capolongo Observatory (named in honor of the professor and astronomer who promoted its creation)—are inside this Park.
Another of its attractions is the massive bas-relief “El Sembrador" (The Sower) by Argentine sculptor Lucio Fontana; it marks the place from which the first export wheat cargo was shipped. Also noteworthy are the bust of General Urquiza, sculpted by the local artist Erminio Blotta, the building that used to house the Railway Station of Western Santa Fe and the site of the military settlement that was crucial in defending the area from the Anglo-French fleet after the “Vuelta de Obligado" Battle.
Its fountains, sculptures, recreational areas and running path make this Park a favorite with the locals who are looking to enjoy the outdoors.
To learn more about the history of the Park, click here.
Location: area delimited by 3 de Febrero Street, Belgrano Avenue, Chacabuco Street & the beginning of Pellegrini Avenue
Nationalities Park and Sunchales Park
They represent a natural extension of the green spaces along the riverside area, from the central to the northern part of the city. These walks by the Paraná River are spotted with handicraft stands, bars and restaurants. In this area stands the Museum of Contemporary Art of Rosario.
Past the “Parque de España” (Spanish Park), there is the “Parque de las Colectividades” (Nationalities´ Park) and, farther away, the “Parque Sunchales” (Sunchales Park). This vast area of the city, which used to house port and railway facilities, invites visitors to go for a bicycle ride or a walk, enjoying the riverside view and the backdrop of the Rosario-Victoria Bridge.
They will run into street markets, food and drink facilities and the Museum of Contemporary Art of Rosario (Spanish Acronym: MACRO), an exciting place located at the site of the former Davis Grain Silos, which in the past were used to store grain. Finally, they will reach “Puerto Norte,” a real estate project at “Parque Sunchales” (Sunchales Park) which began a few years ago.
Yrigoyen Park and “Che” Guevara Square
Next to the old “Central Córdoba” Railway Station, this Park covers about 18 hectares (some 45 acres) that people use to play sports and carry out recreational activities, one of its most interesting features being the statue of Ernesto “Che” Guevara.
“Parque Yrigoyen” (Yrigoyen Park) is located between the Downtown and the Southern Municipal District Center. Within these limits, visitors will find the “Che” Guevara Square and Memorial. Also striking is a large railway terminal after which the neighborhood’s soccer club was named, “Central Córdoba,” its stadium being inside the Park too.
“Che” Guevara Memorial
Built to honor Rosario-born Ernesto “Che” Guevara, the Memorial involves a bronze statue by Argentine sculptor Andrés Zerneri. The statue is made of melt-down keys and other bronze objects donated by thousands of people from around the world. It stands on a pedestal in a square near the corner of 27 de Febrero Avenue and Laprida Street. Apart from Zerneri´s piece, there is a staircase and a paved road with railway sleepers. These symbolize Guevara’s journey through Latin America.
Location: area delimited by 27 de Febrero & San Martín Avenues, Rueda & Alem Steets.
"Juan Manuel Fangio” Municipal Race Track
It reopened in November 2011, after completion of the first stage of renovations which have turned it into a major car racing center in the region.
The renovation work is the result of the joint efforts of the Provincial and the Municipal Government, being part of a plan to create Rosario’s first “Multipurpose Motoring Facility," i.e. a sporting, technological, cultural and commercial facility to be located in a forested area.
The 2011 work involved the refurbishing of the pits, the control tower and the buildings in general: construction of additional walls and wire fences, widening of the tracks and overall relandscaping.
Web site: www.autodromorosario.com.ar
Rosario is the perfect city to experience the Argentine passion for soccer.
The city has two large soccer teams: “Newell’s Old Boys” and “Rosario Central.” The supporters of the former are nicknamed “leprosos,” its stadium being located in the “Parque de la Independencia” (Independence Park); the su
"Leprosos” & “canallas”
The story tells that, a long time ago, probably in the first half of the 20th century, a charity soccer match was organized for the benefit of the “Patronato de Leprosos” (Leprosy Foundation). The match was to be between “Rosario Central” and “Newell's Old Boys.” The invitations were sent, but “Rosario Central” declined to participate in the event. From that day on, its rivals have called its fans “¡canallas!” (bastards!). In turn, “Rosario Central” supporters mockingly call the fans of “Newell´s Old Boys” “¡leprosos!” (lepers!).
“El Coloso” & “El Gigante”
Due to its location, the “Newell’s Old Boys” stadium is called “El Coloso del Parque” (The Park’s Colossus), while that of “Rosario Central,” situated in “Arroyito” Neigborhood, is known as “El Gigante de Arroyito” (The “Arroyito” Giant).
A STORY OF TWO PASSIONS
Club Atlético Rosario Central
The club’s history is closely linked to the arrival of soccer in Argentina. The sport was brought to the country by English immigrants, who came here at the end of the 19th century to work in the Railway Company. From 1864 onwards, both English and Creole railroad workers would play rudimentary soccer in the fields next to the warehouses of the Rosario-Buenos Aires line. By mid-1889, the idea of establishing a soccer club was already in the air. Finally, on the 24th of December of the same year, the “Central Argentine Railway Club” was born. Afterwards, during an Assembly in 1903, the name was changed to “Club Atlético Rosario Central.” Following a stage in which the matches were played at different sites, a piece of land in “Arroyito” Neighborhood was bought in 1951 for the club to have its own field. Nicknamed “El Gigante de Arroyito” (The “Arroyito” Giant), the stadium was renovated for the 1978 World Cup, the only world cup played on Argentine soil. With a capacity of 41,654 people, it is still praised for its symmetry and for the fact that it offers an unobstructed view of the field from every corner.
Address: “Boulevard Avellaneda,” between “Avenida Génova” and “Paseo Ribereño,” “Arroyito” Neighborhood. Tel: +54 (341) 472 4071. Opening Hours: the stadium’s Administration is open from 11 am to 2 pm and from 3 pm to 8 pm. Web site: www.rosariocentral.com.
Club Atlético Newell's Old Boys
The club was named after Isaac Newell, a remarkable English teacher and a passionate soccer fan. He was 16 when he arrived in Rosario, towards 1869, and began to work as a telegraphist for the Railway Company while he finished his studies. Years later, he met German immigrant Anna Jockinsen, whom he married. Together, they welcomed other teachers to the city and opened the “Colegio Comercial Anglicano Argentino” (Argentine Anglican Business School), the first secular and multiracial school of Rosario. The school colors, red and black, were taken from the flags of England and Germany. The badge was also red and black, as would be, later on, the soccer jerseys. In 1884, Newell brought from England the first leather soccer ball and the first set of regulations. It was in his school that the children began to alternate between studying and playing soccer. The students´ enthusiasm for the game led Newell to buy the land next to the school, so as to build a soccer field. In 1900, already ill, he left the management of the school to his elder son, Claudio Newell. The “Club Atlético Newell’s Old Boys” was founded soon after, on 3 November 1903. The name paid tribute to Isaac Newell’s life and work. The first “Newell’s Old Boys” team was made up of former students. Thus, they were, literally, “old boys” or “alumni.”
Address: Esteban Morcillo 2502. Tel: + 54 (341) 421 1180/ 424 4169. Web site: www.newellsoldboys.com.ar.
Golf in Rosario
In “Fisherton” Neighborhood, you will find the two largest sports clubs in the city: the Rosario Golf Club and the Jockey Club, both of which organize major golf tournaments. There are other golf courses in the neighboring towns of Funes, Pérez and Piñero.
The Rosario Golf Club and the Jockey Club have 18-hole courses with appealing designs and landscapes. These are the locations of major tournaments for amateur and professional players. An International Golf Tournament is held at the Jockey Club every September and the “Del Litoral” Open Golf Tournament takes place at the Rosario Golf Club each November. Close to Rosario, there are several more courses. In the city of Pérez, 20 minutes away from Rosario, there is the Bartolomé Mitre Club, founded over 90 years ago. It has an 18-hole course with a pleasant design and a thick grove. In the neighboring Funes, on the Rosario-Córdoba tollway, the Kentucky Golf Club is another interesting golfing location. In turn, in the town of Piñero, there is “La Carolina” Golf & Country Club, on Provincial Highway #18, about 10 minutes away from “Boulevard Oroño” & “Avenida Circunvalación,” one of the access points to Rosario.
Rosario Golf Club
Address: Morrison 9900, “Fisherton” Neighborhood, Rosario.
Tel: +54 (341) 451 4451/ 3438/ 6619. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web site: www.rosariogolfclub.com.
Dating back to 1898, the golf course of the Rosario Golf Club is the oldest one in the interior of Argentina. It is located in the western part of the city, approximately 20 minutes away from downtown Rosario, on the banks of the Ludueña Stream. It is a traditional 18-hole course with an attractive design: excellent fairways and greens, as well as a grove of old trees. Its stately Clubhouse was built in 1928.
Rosario’s Jockey Club
Sports Grounds: Eva Perón 8203. Tel: + 54 (341) 451 0550/ 1231/ 2919. Headquarters: Maipú 801. Tel: +54 (341) 424 6061/ 6177/ 6298. Web site: www.jockeyclubderosario.com.ar.
The Jockey Club’s golf course, which follows the style of British courses, was inaugurated at the end of the 1950s. Eventually, the par 72 golf course turned into a tournament site, the fairways became narrower and more difficult due to a set of trees, and the design of the greens and holes surrounded by water came to be a true challenge for golfers.
Kentucky Golf Club Address: Funes (on the Rosario-Córdoba tollway). Tel: +54 (341) 493 8820.
Web site: www.kcc.com.ar.
“La Carolina” Golf & Country Club
Address: Highway #18, kilometer marker #10.5. Tel: +54 (341) 498 9676. E-mail: email@example.com.
Web site: www.lacarolinacc.com.
Bartolomé Mitre Club
Address: Highway #33 S/N, Pérez. Tel: + 54 (341) 495 1108/ 0945. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web site: www.clubmitredeperez.com
“Sur del Litoral” Golf Federation (Spanish Acronym: FGSL) Address: Córdoba 1868, Office #110. E-mail: email@example.com. Web site: www.fedegolf.org.ar.
Founded in 1980, the “Sur del Litoral” Golf Federation is one of ten regional golf federations members of the Argentine Golf Association (Spanish Acronym: AAG). Today, the Federation is composed of 21 clubs spread over an area of 200 kilometers (124 miles), its headquarters being in Rosario.
The Federation organizes three advanced tournaments per year, welcoming players from every club: the Interclub Tournament, the “Ciudad de Rosario” Open Golf Tournament and the Federation Cup. Moreover, the Federation hosts national golfing events by the Argentine Golf Association.
All the year round, Rosario is home to a range of competitions and activities aimed at promoting sports. Some of the main events are:
42 km (26 miles) Argentine Flag Marathon (international)
“Ciudad de Rosario” Olympic Triathlon
10 km (6 miles) Paraná River Rowing Race
International Water Marathon
Rosario Games for Players Affiliated to Sports Federations
Rosario Interclub Games
Open Water Swimming Competition
Sports Gatherings and Other Activities
International Sailing Competition
Sports Gathering for Development Centers
Games for the Elderly
Rosario Indoor Kart (go-kart track)
A wonderful option for go-kart enthusiasts, this track—370 meters long (about 405 yards) and 6 to 8 meters wide (about 7 to 9 yards)—has a computerized timekeeping system.
The track is completely under roof and the go-karts have Honda 5.5 HP engines. The facility includes a playground and grills, as well as selling food and drinks.
Tuesdays to Fridays from 6:30 pm to 1 am; Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 4:30 pm to 1 am.
Address: Anchorena 2751 (O. Lagos 5200). Cell phones: +54 (9341) 618 8143
Surrounded by a wide variety of trees from all around the world and located to the south-west of the “Parque Urquiza” (Urquiza Park), the Municipal Astronomical Facility offers many entertaining and pedagogical activities for the entire family.
Inaugurated on 18 June 1970, it is made up of:
- Luis C. Carballo Municipal Planetarium
- Experimental Science Museum
- Víctor Capolongo Municipal Observatory
School Visits: please call +54 (341) 480 2533/2554 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 am to 1 pm for reservations, or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Experimental Science Museum Guided Tours: Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 5:30 to 8 pm.
Planetarium Screenings: Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays at 5 and 6 pm (from April to September) and at 6 and 7 pm (from October to April).
Observatory Guided Tours: with clear skies, Wednesdays to Sundays and public holidays, from 8 to 9:30 pm. Free admission.
School Visits: please call +54 (341) 480 2533/2554 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 am to 1 pm for reservations.
This extensive playground pays tribute to imagination and creativity by stimulating children’s intellect, inventiveness and their motor skills. The place, filled with adventure and mystery, includes games and poetry and invites children to create objects.
Some of its attractions are:
- “The Enchanted Mountain,” a labyrinth with fake exits, obstacles, signs and much more. - “Leonardo the Inventor,” an educational installation.
- “The Flying Machine," a game for flying, gliding, swaying and making Tyrolean traverses.
- “The Climbing Machine," two 16th century brigantines turned into climbing installations with several access points.
- “The Sound Machine,” aimed at encouraging children to combine sound and body language.
- “Modern Times Interactive Exhibition,” with games to celebrate those artists who explored their inner child while painting: Calder, Mondrian, Miró, Picasso, Klee, Kandinsky, among others.
Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 1 pm to 6 pm.
“Avenida del Lago” between “Avenida Lugones” and “Avenida del Museo”—“Parque de la Independencia” (Independence Park).
Tel: +54 (341) 480 2421. Please call us to check the opening hours.
At the Farm, children interact with animals, learn the activities and tools involved in agricultural work and, as a result, get a first-hand sense of what life at a farm is like by means of this entertaining and educational experience.
This is the perfect place to learn to respect living creatures and tolerance towards others. It encompasses many interactive spaces that make up one large productive and sustainable system. Visitors can participate in some of the Farm’s activities, such as sowing, watering, weeding and feeding the animals. Also part of this educational and recreational project is a river habitat with the flora and fauna typical of the coastal region of Argentina (Provinces of Misiones, Corrientes, Entre Ríos, Chaco, Formosa and Santa Fe), a vegetable garden and a plant nursery. A lab, a video library and the art room’s library are also at the children’s disposal. They can even bake their own bread!
Tuesdays to Fridays from 9 am to 5 pm; Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 10 am to 6 pm.
Address: Presidente Perón 8100, next to “Canal 3 de Rosario” (local TV station). Tel: +54 (341) 480 7848.
The old Railway Station of Downtown Rosario was recycled specially for the purpose of housing this educational and recreational facility, in which games, science, the Arts and technology combine following pedagogical principles.
Invention Island is divided into five sections:
- The Railway Platforms
- The Endless Room - The Factory
- The Railroad
- The Experimental Center for Teachers and the Cultural Center for Children
The Railway Platforms: this is a public space used to hold interactive exhibitions and shows. It involves playing games and learning vocabulary to introduce children to science and includes water trains and boats on rails (interactive exhibition about the city of Rosario for children and adults).
The Endless Room: it is aimed at acquiring knowledge through perception, imagination and concept development. This is a space in which to talk about philosophy, physics, genetics and other subjects. It includes the attraction “What’s Time?” (science, art and language).
The Factory: a space that pays homage to the world of work. In it, children and adults can design and create a range of objects. It includes the following attractions: “A Toy is Born;” “Scale Models”: a Vespa motorbike, puppet theater with an educational twist, a pop car.
- Designing and Manufacturing Toys: sanding, marking, painting and assembling of toys.
- Designing Possible and Impossible Objects: workshop aimed at creating possible and impossible objects.
The Railroad: train cars, signs, rails and a grade crossing keeper’s cabin help to tell the story of the old Rosario railway. It includes the following attraction: “The Railway Station of Downtown Rosario, Playing Our Way into History.” Children can visit the railway installation and the platform outside, the grade crossing keeper’s cabin and the train cars.
The Experimental Center for Teachers and the Cultural Center for Children: this is a research center for teachers. Small performance hall. Video screenings. Aimed at encouraging new approaches to education.
Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 3 pm to 8 pm.
Address: site of the former Railway Station of Downtown Rosario (Corrientes & Wheelwright). Tel: +54 (341) 480 2571/ 449 6510.
This spacious three-storey facility at the “Alto Rosario” Shopping Center offers a small-scale version of a city and is aimed at children between 3 and 12 years of age. It encourages them to play role games and act out situations that are typical of urban life while enjoying themselves.
Children’s Museum involves a small-scale version of a city and its different work environments, so that children can be introduced, in a playful manner, to the world of adults. Formerly the site of a power plant part of the railway facilities, it covers an area of 2000 m2 (about 21,528 ft2) and has three stories. The attraction includes scale models of a port terminal and a ship, a bank, a gas station, a maternity ward, a supermarket with doll versions of a cashier, a shelf stocker and clients, as well as a TV station.
Opening Hours Tuesdays to Sundays from 1 pm to 8 pm. Address: Junín 501, “Alto Rosario” Shopping Center. Tel: +54 (341) 410 6680/ 6500.
The House of Water
This is a place to have fun and learn why water is so important for life and how to preserve it. On July, there are free guided tours for all age groups, as well as a show for children by the Paraná River at the end of each tour.
During the winter break (July), The House of Water opens its doors to the community at large, with tours that begin in an open-air facility covering 1500 m2 (about 16,146 ft2) and following a “path of questions,” which serves as a preview of the contents that are developed later on in the visit. Some of the questions are: What is water? Where does it come from? How is it made drinkable? Why should we preserve it? Afterwards, there is a section with interactive signs for children to play with, which first give information about water as a global resource and then move on to water in specific cases: water in the world, the water cycle, water in the city and the water in our bodies. Next, there is a round fountain at the bottom of which are written the various names given by the indigenous peoples of Argentina to water. In this part of the tour, the rituals, myths and festivities related to water and associated with different cultures are discussed. There, the children can participate in the “Water Orchestra,” in which the sound of water plays a crucial role. Rain sticks and sikus (panpipes) made out of bottles are made available to the children in this section. The open-air part of the tour includes a visit to a small outdoor auditorium and an explanation of what it means to use water in a responsible manner. Moreover, there is a show in which actors represent everyday actions connected with personal hygiene, house cleaning, plant watering, car washing, etc., in order to highlight the need to use only the necessary amount of water, without wasting it.
Making Water Drinkable
The House of Water contains a “Water Treatment Room” that includes a mock-up of Rosario’s Water Treatment Plant and a description of the processes involved in treating water (both surface and borehole water) so that people may drink it from the faucet. There is also an auditorium screening educational videos about water and an art gallery with an exhibition of photos taken at the Water Treatment Plant by an amateur group of photographers, the “Banda dominguera” (Sunday Group), from the “Peña Fotográfica de Rosario” (Rosario Photography Center).
The guided tours for all age groups must be booked in advance on +54 (341) 437 8521 from 9 am to 1 pm. E-mail: email@example.com. Guided Tours: Thursday 8, Friday 9 and Saturday 10 of July; Thursday 15, Friday 16 and Saturday 17 of July. Shifts: 11 am and 2:30 pm. Address: Rosario’s Water Treatment Plant, French & Echeverría (“Arroyito” Neighborhood). Tel: +54 (341) 437 8521.
The city’s neighborhoods offer a range of services and are bustling with stores and businesses. This allows visitors to enjoy different shopping circuits throughout Rosario.
“Paseo de las Carretas” (Wagons´ Walk)
- 1400 to 2100 Rioja Street, 1500 to 2100 Córdoba Street, 1400 to 2100 Santa Fe Street, 700 to 800 Corrientes Street, 700 to 800 Oroño Boulevard. It includes the streets between Corrientes and Oroño (700 to 800).
The name of the Walk alludes to the fact that, in the past, “Plaza San Martín” (San Martín Square) used to be a market, in which wagons would continuously come and go filled with produce to supply Rosario and other cities, particularly of the coastal region of Argentina. Today, it is a commercial area specializing in clothes and designer objects.
Córdoba Street (Pedestrian Street)
- 800 to 1400 Córdoba Street.
Between Laprida and Paraguay Streets, Córdoba Street becomes a pedestrian street (7 blocks). The banking district of the city is in this area, together with the main commercial district. Here, you will find throbbing crowds and stores selling everything from books and electrical appliances to clothes and shoes, including brand products. Its department stores and shopping malls are also worth visiting.
"Peatonal San Martín" (Pedestrian Street)
- 700 to 1100 San Martín Street.
The pedestrian street "San Martín" begins at the intersection with Santa Fe Street. On the first block, there are banks (“Banco Municipal,” “Banco de Santa Fe,” etc.); the rest of the pedestrian street, which ends at the intersection with Mendoza Street, is mostly a commercial area.
“Sunchales” (“Pichincha” Neighborhood)
- Location of the “Sunchales” commercial area: 100 bis to 100 Oroño Boulevard, 2200 to 3000 Salta Street, 100 to 100 bis Francia Avenue, up to the Paraná River.
It includes the “La Huella” Vintage Street Market, with more than 150 stands selling antiques and everyday objects that Rosario locals and their immigrant ancestors would use over half a century ago. Sundays only. Another street market in the area is "El Roperito," selling second-hand clothes at great value for money. Finally, there are also handicraft stands in this part of the city.
San Luis Street
- 1400 to 2000 San Luis Street.
San Luis Street is a busy commercial area with stores specializing in low-priced items. Traditionally, this was the place in which immigrants from different nationalities would open stores. At present, most of the stores are wholesale, but there are also some retailers.
- 3100 to 4300 Mendoza Street.
This is one of the most traditional neighborhoods in Rosario. It was named after Ciro Echesortu, former owner of the land on which the neighborhood stands. It has a ten-block commercial area called “Paseo Echesortu” (Echesortu Walk), located between Avellaneda Boulevard and Mendoza Street.
- 6200 to 5400 Juan José Paso Street.
There are numerous stores in this area, most of which are located on Juan José Paso Street.
- 200 to 1000 Alberdi Avenue.
In the northern part of the city, Alberdi Avenue is lined with a variety of stores, reaching up to Rondeau Boulevard, at the intersection with Portugal Avenue, site of the “Portal Rosario” Shopping Center.
- 7700 to 8800 Córdoba Street.
Situated in the northwestern area of Rosario, “Fisherton” is one of its oldest neighborhoods. The commercial area includes all types of stores for the enjoyment of neighbors and passers-by.
“Paseo Belgrano” (Belgrano Walk)
- 5900 to 6600 Mendoza Street.
Named in honor of General Manuel Belgrano, hero of the Argentine Independence War. its commercial area includes stores selling household objects and clothes.
South of San Martín Street
- 2800 to 3500 San Martín Street.
From its intersection with Rueda Street, San Martín is becoming a busy commercial street greatly enjoyed by the neighbors.
- 5100 to 6300 Ayacucho Street/ 200 to 500 Arijón Street.
Caferatta (Luis Agote) Street
- 200 to 600 Caferatta Street.
Mendoza Street (Azcuénaga)
- 5100 to 5800 Mendoza Street.
“Paseo Tribunales” (Courthouse Walk)
- 1900 to 2100 Pellegrini Avenue.
- 1900 to 2100 Montevideo Street.
- 1900 to 2100 Zeballos Street.
- 1900 to 2100 9 de julio Street.
- 1900 to 2100 3 de febrero Street.
- 1300 to 1600 Dorrego Street.
- 1300 to 1600 Moreno Street.
- 1300 to 1600 Balcarce Street.
- 1300 to 1600 Oroño Boulevard.