Trevelín Restaurants

My Welsh tea at Nain Maggie's
    Nain Maggie herself!

Most Recent Restaurants in Trevelín

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Casa de Te, Nain Maggie: Enjoy sharing a Welsh Tradition!

by spidermiss Updated Mar 1, 2011
    Casa de Te, Nain Maggie

Trevelin is the most Welsh of all the towns in Welsh Patagonia and there is nothing more appropriate than to take a Welsh Tea in one of the two tea houses in the town. I highly recommend Nain Maggie and for 60 ARP you can have a set tea with bread with butter and jams; scones and a variety of cakes along with unlimited tea! The cakes were delicious and I left the tea house feeling very full but satisfied!

Nain Maggie was one of the first Welsh settlers who came to Trevelin in 1891 and her grandaughter, Lucia Underwood, owns the tea shop named in her honour.

There is a small shop adjacent to the tea house where you can buy souvenirs including the famous torta negra (a famous Welsh cake).

I highly recommend taking tea at Nain Maggie's.

Favorite Dish: The set tea is wonderful with a generous portion.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Nain Maggie: Welsh Tea in Patagonia

by barryg23 Updated Feb 15, 2009

Welsh tea in Trevelin

Welsh Tea in the Wlesh towns in Patagonia may not be an authentic Welsh tradition (it originated in Aidman in the early 20th century) but it's become such an institution out here that we had to give it a try. We missed out on our chance to try it in both Trelew and Gaiman, but we timed our visit to Trevelin perfectly, arriving in the early evening, when most of the tea shop are open.

To anyone thinking of trying the Welsh tea, my advice is to skip lunch and build up an appetite. You´ll be glad of this when you see what they serve you. As we had already had lunch we went for the shared version for 30 pesos between us, rather than one serving each which would have cost 25 pesos per person.

What followed was one of the richest and highest-calorie meals I can remember. We had 6 different types of cake, scones, breads made in the local mills, very rich butter, beautiful home-made jams, all washed down with the nicest pot of tea we've had since we started the trip.

There is mor

Instant Answers: Trevelín

Comments

Trevelín Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Trevelín restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Trevelín sightseeing.