Trevelín Travel Guide

• View of Los Alceres National Park, Trevelin
    View of Los Alceres National Park,...
    Trevelin, Chubut Province, Patagonia
    Welcome to Trevelin!

Trevelín Things to Do

by spidermiss Updated Mar 1, 2011

When I visited La Tumba de Malacara, I did not find anyone to take me round and instead I took photos of John Evan's house. Usually, Clery Evans, grandaughter of the village's founder, would tell you the history about the settlement and also you can see the grave of John Evan's house, El Malacara, and how the horse saved Evan's life. This attracts Bruce Chatwin's fans who read about the house in his book, 'In Patagonia'.

John Evan's House La Tumba de Malacara
    • Museum Visits
    • Photography

by spidermiss Updated Mar 1, 2011

La Capilla Bethel is the Welsh Chapel built in 1910. You're not able to visit the chapel but this can be seen from distance.

La Capilla Bethel La Capilla Bethel
    • Photography

by spidermiss Updated Feb 27, 2011

This museum is housed in an old flour mill in the town centre. It cost me 5 ARP (around 1 GBP) to look around. The museum has an interesting exhibition about the Welsh colony in the Chubut Province and the successful collective co-operatives they operated during the 19th Century. There is a section about the the 1902 Plebiscite and the Welsh colony had to vote on whether it wanted to either be part of Argentina or Chile. I was able to see some of the possessions and artefacts from the Welsh Colony's first settlers including farm machinery! There is also an exhibition on the Mapuches and Tehuelche.

Museo Regional Trevelin Museo Regional Trevelin A Welsh flag at the Museum Welsh Colony Artefacts, Museo Regional Trevelin
    • Museum Visits

Trevelín Restaurants

by spidermiss Updated Mar 1, 2011

Trevelin is the most Welsh of all the towns in Welsh Patagonia and there is nothing more appropriate than to take a Welsh Tea in one of the two tea houses in the town. I highly recommend Nain Maggie and for 60 ARP you can have a set tea with bread with butter and jams; scones and a variety of cakes along with unlimited tea! The cakes were delicious and I left the tea house feeling very full but satisfied!

Nain Maggie was one of the first Welsh settlers who came to Trevelin in 1891 and her grandaughter, Lucia Underwood, owns the tea shop named in her honour.

There is a small shop adjacent to the tea house where you can buy souvenirs including the famous torta negra (a famous Welsh cake).

I highly recommend taking tea at Nain Maggie's.

Favorite Dish: The set tea is wonderful with a generous portion.

Casa de Te, Nain Maggie Dawn taking Welsh tea at Nain Maggie's My Welsh tea at Nain Maggie's Nain Maggie herself!

• barryg23's Profile Photo

by barryg23 Updated Feb 15, 2009

Welsh Tea in the Wlesh towns in Patagonia may not be an authentic Welsh tradition (it originated in Aidman in the early 20th century) but it's become such an institution out here that we had to give it a try. We missed out on our chance to try it in both Trelew and Gaiman, but we timed our visit to Trevelin perfectly, arriving in the early evening, when most of the tea shop are open.

To anyone thinking of trying the Welsh tea, my advice is to skip lunch and build up an appetite. You´ll be glad of this when you see what they serve you. As we had already had lunch we went for the shared version for 30 pesos between us, rather than one serving each which would have cost 25 pesos per person.

What followed was one of the richest and highest-calorie meals I can remember. We had 6 different types of cake, scones, breads made in the local mills, very rich butter, beautiful home-made jams, all washed down with the nicest pot of tea we've had since we started the trip.

There is mor

Welsh tea in Trevelin Let the feast commence...

• Trevelín Hotels

0 Hotels in Trevelín

Trevelín Transportation

by spidermiss Updated Feb 27, 2011

To get to Trevellin, you can catch a bus by that company from Esquel Bus Station. The buses run every half an hour to Trevellin on weekedays and every hour on weekends. You pay the driver on the bus and it cost around 4 ARP (One Way).

You alight at the main square in Trevelin and you also catch the bus there to Esquel.

On our way to Trevelin

Instant Answers: Trevelín

Comments

Map of Trevelín