Copacabana Favorites

view from our rooftop hostal room
    sunset over the lake
    the 'harbour' and beach

Most Recent Favorites in Copacabana

• campingsami's Profile Photo

The landlocked ocean

by campingsami Written May 4, 2008

Favorite thing: The journey by bus from La paz to copacabana is spectacular. the views of the lake from above as it stretches out in front of you...amazing!

plus, catch the sunsets over the lake. beautiful :)

Fondest memory: Waikis, chilled little 'reggae' bar. wicked mojitos!
    Waiki - means brother in Quechua if i remember correctly.
    plus they had a resident dog when i was there, used to curl up in my lap and refuse to budge...so cute!

the 'harbour' and beach view from our rooftop hostal room sunset over the lake
    • Archeology

Sunday mass

by SirRichard Written Jun 23, 2005

Favorite thing: I arrived there on a sunday, so I could witness a mass at the church. Well, not IN the church, as this was being restored, but on the front esplanade. It was a nice experience, many people singing with guitars, and the priests were surprisingly young!

The mass

El calvario!!!

by marcelo15 Written Jan 5, 2005

Favorite thing: Hey friends, as you know i`m a tour guide in la paz. so frecuently i travel with some tourist around this important point. this time i had the great change to travel with my daddy. so, we shared a great time together. because my dad is catolic and he tried to climb this important mountain "el calvario". in spite that it`s difficult to climb (special for older people) my dad DID IT!!! so we celebrated with a beer. (see the pic)
    So, believe me folks, it`s really worth to climb...

Fondest memory: my last climbed with daddy...

Elio & marce

Candless

by marcelo15 Updated Jan 2, 2005

Favorite thing: this room works to turn on some candless. as you know most of the people are catolic. so they come here to turn on a candle. each candle represent one soul or one people alive. so, they turn on candless to give the person all the fortune for everything.

Fondest memory: the church and this room. it`s really interesting. if you want to get here you have to get at the right. it`s located inside the church.

candless
    • School Holidays

BOATS, BEACHES AROUND THE LAKE

by marcelo15 Updated Jan 2, 2005

Favorite thing: on the shores of the lake titikaka. you find plenty of boats, kayaks to get some fun or to transport around the lake.
    as you know that bolivia doesn`t have beaches this shore work a lot. people from la paz get a lot of fun.
    to tell you the true my favourite one is kayacking here. it`s really fun!!!

Fondest memory: kayacking it`s reallly fun.

shores of the lake titikaka

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

a little too late or too early?

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 16, 2003

Fondest memory: Though it was a steep climb, even with multiple photo stops we reached the top in forty-five minutes. There was still great light on the city and now the many crosses I had seen from the beach lie before me in a row, all aglow with the sun's warm rays. I rushed around like mad taking photos and finally realized that Doreen was nowhere to be found. I walked farther to the viewpoint that overlooked massive Lake Titicaca and found her sitting on stone wall, her eyes glued to the setting sun. We sat there for awhile but soon the sun was behind a wall of clouds that had somehow crept in. We waited for a short time but decided to descend while the light was good enough to see well. As we did, we noticed quite a few people still going up and thought to ourselves that they had missed the whole thing. We had had such great light on the way up for taking photos, it seemed crazy to go up then. We got to the bottom in no time and walked over to the cathedral and en route noticed a glowing ball of fire peering from under a wall of clouds. The sun had decided to make an appearance after all. We caught a glimpse of it as it melted into the glittering lake and half kicked ourselves in the butt for leaving early. We had lots of amazing photos to show for our effort. For me, the sunset is always most amazing for what it sets on, the light it shines on other objects. Still, the actual sunset would have been the perfect finale to a great little hike. I guess the people going up late weren't as crazy as they seemed and it just goes to show; sometimes when you think you are too late, you can still be too early.

the radiant light of dusk

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

impulses can be nice

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 16, 2003

Favorite thing: Copacabana has a great climate so enjoy the outdoors as much as possible, from the simplest things like having a beer at a cafe on the beach, to hiking up to the Station of the Crosses, and excursions to Isla del Sol.

Fondest memory: The first thing I noticed on entering Copacabana was a large hill at the far end of town, next to the beach, jutting into Lake Titicaca. It had some crosses on the top, making it all the more intriguing. I thought little about it, as the bus trip had been tiring if short. We had to pass two border controls, one to leave Peru and the other to enter Bolivia, along with a stop to change currency. There was still the matter of securing a room and after that was accomplished, we wandered down to the beach and enjoyed a beer in the warm sun. It seemed a waste of great weather but Doreen enjoyed to just relax and read on the first truly gorgeous day in what was already a month long trip. I didn't mind either. I had a beautiful view, great companionship and decent cheap beer. So I read a bit, and enjoyed the warm rays of the sun too. Still, this hill loomed in the near distance and as I read I found the object of my attention was not only an important shrine for Bolivians, but also a great place to watch the sunset. Even though it seemed late, I suggested we abort the relaxation and get back to "work.' We set off with only the view of the hill for directions but soon found our way to the beginning of the path. The sun was setting quickly and I had already complied with the idea that we might not make it to the top in time, and would be happy enough to get a photo of the magnificent cathedral from anywhere that overlooked the city. The scenery on the way up was sublime and the low sun shone near perfect photographic light on stone crucifixes and shrines along the way. These were full of offerings from locals who came to pray oddly enough for material items, the most popular of which were four-wheel drive trucks. Something surely quite useful in Bolivia's unforgiving if beautiful terrain. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

start of hike to Station of the Crosses

overview

by chancay Updated Jun 17, 2003

Fondest memory: In the background you can see the cathedral of Copacabana. It seems to be almost a quarter part of all the village. It is definetly the most important place in Copacabana and one of the most important places for all Bolivians.

overview of Copacabana

street scene in Copacabana

by chancay Updated Jun 17, 2003

Fondest memory: the third day in Copacabana we were strolling around a bit in the city, having lunch in on of the numerous little restaurants and having a last view on the beautiful cathedral before getting our bus to Peru.
    Copacabana was the best place to combine culture and relaxing.

going down to the beach

Copacabana from sea side

by chancay Updated Feb 11, 2003

Favorite thing: Copacabana is a good place to send a Postcard from to your friends. I did it and my friend asked me later quite surprised: "You´ve been in Rio (de Janeiro) as well???"
    At least there is a beach as well, but the water temperature unfortunately is not that nice than in Rio I´ve never been there but I guess taking in mind this few clothes people wear in "la Copacabana of Rio" as I saw in pictures.....in Copacabana of Bolivia you probably never will see that (unfortunately) :-)

Copacabana beach

• chancay's Profile Photo

at the highest navigable lake of the world

by chancay Updated Jan 14, 2003

Favorite thing: The lake Titicaca is part of the frontier between Peru and Bolivia. It´s the highest navigable sea of the world at an altitude of 3808m and a surface of 8 300 Km².
    From bolivian border you can visit the islands "Isla del sol" and "Isla de la luna".

Copacabana beach

• Rio de Janeiro online Guide (Copacabana/Leme)

by TKlein Written Sep 14, 2006

Favorite thing: Have a look at Copacabana / Leme on www.mapilot.com. It's a free site, satellite image with a lot of information about where to go and what to do. Smart information, objective and fast.

• Beaches
    • Business Travel

Popcorn

by SirRichard Written Jun 23, 2005

Favorite thing: In the streets of Copacabana you could see street vendors of these huge popcorns. There were many kinds and sizes and it seemed to be very cheap, though I never tried...

Popcorn

Mass assistants

by SirRichard Written Jun 23, 2005

Favorite thing: Wandering around the backstage I could see these young boys practising for the sunday mass songs, very busy with that huge guitar...

Rehearsal

Instant Answers: Copacabana

Comments

Copacabana Favorites

Reviews and photos of Copacabana favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Copacabana sightseeing.