Fake Taxis or Police, La Paz

• marcelo15's Profile Photo

TAXIS. Fake drivers!

by marcelo15 Updated Jan 4, 2005

the sign on the roof...

The safest way to move by car at night is taking a RADIO TAXI. the difference between RADIO TAXIS AND TAXIS are because they `ve got a sign of their business and the phone number on its roof.
    For instance you can see REMISSE SUR RADIO TAXI, which is a blue sign and the name of the business are white.
    Please, take note of this warning. There were so many people mugged by some fake taxi drivers.
    La manera mas segura de desplazarse en automovil en la noche es tomar un Radio Taxi.
    la diferencia entre el Radio taxi y el Taxi es que el radio taxi tiene un letrero luminoso en donde esta escrito el nombre de la empresa y su numero por algun caso.
    Por favor toma nota de esta advertencia. Hay muchas personas que han sido asaltadas por algunos falsos taxistas.

• Study Abroad

• marcelo15's Profile Photo

POLICEMAN. FAKE

by marcelo15 Updated Jan 4, 2005

tourist policeman

As many other countries, there are some thieves on the streets. they work in groups and maybe alone.
    what they can do is asking for your pasport or something else. Please, ask for their identification first. our policeman are green dressed. but there is no reason why they can ask for your belongs, unless you did something bad.
    you only must show your passport at the inmigration station.
    i include the telephone of emergency. please take note is 110 it`s like 911 in USA.
    Como he sabido en muchos paises, hay ladrones en las calles tambien. ellos trabajan en grupos o hay veces estan solos.
    Lo que pueden hacer es preguntarte por tu pasaporte o algo. Por favor preguntales por su identificacion, aunque no hay razon para que te pidan algo a menos que hayas hecho algo mal.
    tú solo debes mostrar tu pasaporte en la oficina de migración.
    Aca incluyo el número de la estación de policias que es el 110. es mas o menos como el 911 en los EUA.

• Women's Travel
    • Study Abroad

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo

Fake Cop Scam

by darthmilmo Updated Sep 26, 2002

As I was walking and minding my way in downtown La Paz, two Bolivians tried to rob me, which looking back looks funny. I was walking from Plaza Murillo towards a museum via Calle Illumani. On route, I met this Bolivian Tourist who was lost and asking for directions. We laughed when I told him I was a tourist. After talking for a few minutes, he continued his search. Then, he stopped to look at an address. It was at this point, as I was catching up to him, that a cop with a strange black vest approached us saying he was doing a document search. I knew the Tourist Police was a couple of blocks further and since it sounded like a scam I kept walking and told him to follow me there. He didn't follow me of course, which proved he was a fake cop. Their major mistake was driving away from the scene in their black car. I managed to write down the license plates :). I proceeded to the police station where two Peruvian ladies where filling a report. Apparently they were robbed by the same fake cop an hour earlier and now had no passport as well as being out of $200 US. Ironically, the museum was closed for renovations.

Instant Answers: La Paz

Comments

Other Warnings and Dangers in La Paz