Things to do around Santa Cruz - Buenavista
About 100 km from Santa Cruz is a town called Buenavista. You can easily take a taxi run from the old bus terminal in the street of Isos or a bus from the Av. Banzer and third anillo.
Buenavista makes a great weekend break. The nature allows coffee plantation tours, trekking and horse riding. You can also visit the National Amboro Park and enjoy the beautiful sights.
- National/State Park
- Jungle and Rain Forest
Ecological Park Yvaga Guazu
If you are staying some days in Santa Cruz, a visit to the ecological park Yvaga Guazu might be nice. It is just outside of the city and it is a great place to get to know about the plants and trees which you will later find on your trip to Amboró National Park (which you will surely be making, departing from Santa Cruz!). At Yvaga Guazu you´ll have a 2 hour guided tour through the park, with a guide that knows really a lot about all the plants and trees they have. They also have some cages with animals, which are also mostly native to the country.
The park is a bit unknown among the people from Santa Cruz, so I´ll explain here how to get there: you can simply pay a lot for a taxi and tell the driver to drop you off at 12,5 km along Doble Via a la Guardia (the road to cochabamba), or you can take micro 44 (green or blue one, NOT THE RED!!!) and ask the driver to give you a sign when you pass 12,5 km. You can take this micro on Av. Grigota on the second ring.
Oh, the park has a restaurant too with typical Bolivian dishes, very tasty!!!
Do not miss the Jardin...
I'm not at all a fan of zoos, probably because I've been spoiled and seen many natural habitats where the zoo animals come from.
However, the Jardin Zoologico provides an environment similar to the resident?s natural habitat and given the poverty of the country, they have done a fantastic job.
All animals and bird life are South American, and therefore they are all suited to this climatic environment.
- Budget Travel
The big cat
After waiting for about 3 hrs, this jaguar and his family finally came out to play. They had been holed up in their cave, out of the hot sun, and then came out for a refreshing swim. The young ones didn't get wet, but just played and jumped around like kids do. It was all very interesting and well worth hanging around for.
- Budget Travel
Restaurant, Orquideario, Mariposario,
Tiene de todo!. desde un full restaurant, pasando por un mariposario con puentes colgantes de mas de 20 metros de altura y un mirador al medio; Orquideario; lagunas artificiales, piscinas.
Super lindo. Y un lugar muy especial.
The town of Samaipata 120 km...
The town of Samaipata 120 km west of Santa Cruz on the old road to Cochabamba. The town is a very cozy village in the middle of an evergreen valley. The weather is temperate all year round. This is the perfect place to go for camping, hiking and to visit archeological sites. The main attraction of this place are the Incas and Pre-Inca ruins of El Fuerte. If you like hiking and climbing you can hick to the ruins (For more about Samaipata visit my Samaipata's travelogue in my Bolivia page).
Interior de la Iglesia de...
Interior de la Iglesia de Concepción una de las mas bellas de las misiones jesuíticas. El Altar es de madera labrada y bañada en oro. El estilo es barroco mestizo, y tiene elementos del barroco austríaco, del arte guaraní y chiquitano.
1) Samaipata is a little town...
1) Samaipata is a little town in a small valley in the Andes 1.5 hour driving from Santa Cruz. There you can go to several hiking trails (check out my Bolivia's page travelogue for more). The best is to “El Fuerte”; the oldest Inca ruins in Bolivia. There you can find temples carved on the rock, and ruins of this lost city. In the town, you can go visit the open air market with organic produces farmed by the local, and if it is a hot day you can go to one of the many creeks and waterfalls around town. At night, you can enjoy dinner at some of the many German or Bolivian restaurants. Samaipata has a German community with makes this town even more interesting.
2) Amboro National Park: Incredibly beautiful and untouched by humans the Amboro National Park is the best example of the true rainforest. Here you can find the last bears in South America. There are great hotels and cabins to stay in the neighboring town of Buena Vista.
3) The Jesuit Missions of Chiquitos are the best and better preserve example of baroque art in the Jesuit missions of South America. In the missions you will find indigenous people who have preserve their traditions since colonial times.
4) If you are in the city you have to go to the Zoo, the Museum in the Cathedral, and to the huts on the Piraí river.
5) If you like hunting and fishing you should contact local travel agencies of your hotel and they can hook you up with some serious adventure.
Watching wild animals. Santa...
Watching wild animals. Santa Cruz is in the verge of the Amazon Rainforest. Do not miss the great wild life reserves and National Parks (Amboro, Noel Kempff, Chore, etc). Check out the Zoo for native South American wild life. In the picture a post card of a Bolivian crocodile (caymán or yacaré) in a river in the Amazon Rainforest.
This is Holy Week in the old...
This is Holy Week in the old mission town of San Miguel, a few miles south of San Ignacio. You can get here by car, bus or airplane from Santa Cruz. There are several flights a week between Santa Cruz and San Ignacio. The closest mission to Santa Cruz is San Javier.
go to the city zoo is very close to the dwontwon, is ok to see animal and natural life but it need more conservation and more food for the animal
- Budget Travel
- Adventure Travel
walk in the city
you can walk for the historical center, go to the church, the museum, the square, the minicipality, etc
- Family Travel
Samaipata es un pueblito a 2...
Samaipata es un pueblito a 2 hora de Santa Cruz (en auto). Es muy lindo y pintoresco, pero lo principal en Samaipata son las ruinas incaicas y pre-incaicas de El Fuerte.
Don't remember the name of...
Don't remember the name of this Cathedral, maybe someone wandering by will remember and tell me. I am fairly sure it is in the downtown region of Sant Cruz.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Low rate guaranteed!
- Otel.com No booking or cancellation fees! Book with otel.com & get 5% bonus