Trinidad Off The Beaten Path

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Loma Suarez - Moxos Mound

by AlbuqRay Updated Dec 4, 2005

Highest Point at Loma Suarez

To get to the Reina de Enin, you travel about 10 km on a dirt road from the Trinidad airport to Loma Suarez. It is now a Bolivian Naval School on the bank of the Ibare River. Before it was the local headquarters of the Suarez rubber empire. Long before that, it was one of the mysterious mounds of the Moxos civilization. On my first trip, I did not realize that it was a Moxos mound but I happened to take a picture of the highest point (after getting permission from the Naval School Commander). He even had a couple of officers pose for me on Rodolfo Arauz monument there. I believe that the Rodolfo Arauz was the first riverboat in the Bolivian Navy.

• Cruise

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Loma Chuchini - Another Ancient Moxos Mound

by AlbuqRay Updated Dec 28, 2013

Centro Turistico Chuchini

On my second trip in 2004, the boat from the Reina de Enin was late to pick us up, so the driver took us another 5 km down the dirt road to Loma Chuchini. It is another ancient Moxos mound that is now owned by the Hinojosa family and is a private ecological preserve and zoo. However, the most interesting thing is their one room museum of artifacts found on the mound. I'll show a couple of pictures here but you should not miss the separate travelogue. There is also a travelogue on the small Chuchini zoo.

• Archeology
    • Zoo

• Maillekeul's Profile Photo

The fighting rusters... Les coqs de combat

by Maillekeul Updated Oct 25, 2003
    Cicirici !!!!

I had never seen one fighting ruster before, and it looks very different from the regular chicken...

J'avais jamais vu de coq de combat avant, mais ca ressemble vraiment pas au poulet de basse-cour...

Instant Answers: Trinidad

Comments

Trinidad Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Trinidad off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Trinidad sightseeing.