Fitas, Salvador da Bahia

by MikeAtSea
    by Zarasher
  • Bahia Bands, Fitas, Brazilian Wish Bracelets

by Kellyba1989 Written Jan 8, 2012

I went to Salvador in 2007 and had my wrist covered in these beautiful Bahia Wish Bracelets. Long story short, I long ago forgot about them and the story behind them until I recently came across them again in an article. I miss Salvador and I miss the great tradition of Brazilian Wish Bracelets! All my wishes came true! Anywho, you can buy them online if you can't afford the ticket to Brazil.

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

by MikeAtSea Written Mar 4, 2007

Fitas

These colourful ribbons are handed out by locals. Three knots tied into them symbolize three wishes, the wishes come true once the ribbon wears and falls of.
    Though a lot of vendors use these ribbons to start a selling approach in Salvador.

• Festivals

• Zarasher's Profile Photo

Fitas on your wrist

by Zarasher Written Dec 5, 2005

Colourful ribbons (fitas) are widely sold around Salvador. A ribbon is worn knotted on the wrist, and the wearer can make several wishes. The ribbon must be worn continuously until it frays and falls off, by which time the wishes will be granted.
    When I first got there I accepted... but after you have had ten tied on your wrist you generally just dont want another one!

Some people will ask for money and some won't...

• Work Abroad

• acemj's Profile Photo

by acemj Updated Nov 8, 2003

Fitas are ribbons that you will surely receive from children around the churches of Salvador. They will be holding a whole bunch of colorful fitas and will come up to you and start to wrap the ribbon around your wrist. With the first knot, they'll tell you to make a wish (I wish this kid would go away). Then, the kid will wrap the ribbon around your wrist again and tell you to make another wish (I wish this kid had some decent shoes on her feet). Finally, the kid will tie the third and final knot around your wrist and tell you to make a last wish (I wish I had more money to give you). Then, the kid will kiss your hand (at least mine did) and will say bless you and tell you to keep the fita on until it falls off naturally and your wishes will all come true. I bought all of her fitas and said a prayer for her.

• andal13's Profile Photo

Jazzy ribbons

by andal13 Updated Jul 26, 2003

Lembran��a do Senhor do Bomfim

Everywhere you will find these jezzy ribbons that say: Lembrança do Senhor do Bonfim da Bahia (Souvenir of Lord of Good End of Bahia). It is said that if you put this ribbon around your wrist, ask for a wish and never take it off, your wish will come true. I cannot say if it is true or not, because I never did such a thing!

Por todas partes se encuentran estas cintas coloridas que dicen: "Lembrança do Senhor do Bomfim da Bahia" (Recuerdo del Señor del Buen Fin de Bahía). Se dice que si te pones esta cinta en la muñeca, pides un deseo y nunca te la quitas, tu deseo se cumple. No puedo decir si es cierto o no, poruqe nunca lo hice!

Instant Answers: Salvador da Bahia

Comments

View all Salvador da Bahia hotels