Know about this? Rate It!
Ribeira - Leisure Neighbourhood
Ribeira is a neighbourhood on the bay side of the city on the peninsula of Itapagipe in the lower city (cidade baixa). It's not very far from the well-known Igreja (Church) de Bonfim. Ribeira was initially occupied by fishermen that counted on the peacefulness of the waters. From primitive fishermen village, the area became an important summer resort in the beginning of the 20th century.
Ribeira has a long stretch of beach and barracas (simple little bars and restaurants). Sunday is the big day, with seemingly endless streams of local people eating, drinking, listening to music, dancing and socializing. On weekdays you see only a few people around and the area is perfect for those who like idyllic walks and visitors of Ribeira ice cream parlour, the most traditional in the city.
The waters are calm in the bay, so they use it for training and competitions of nautical sports. The area is a busy centre of night leisure with restaurants of typical and regional food. The view across the bay to islands and hills on the far side is lovely.
Getting to Ribeira is easy by bus. Walk to the bus stop in front of Mercado Modelo. Buses going to Ribeira pass every several minutes and Ribeira is the end of the line. There are direct buses from Barra as well.
- Food and Dining
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Chrysi Island Hotels
- Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Hotels
- Woolacombe Hotels
- Maratea Off The Beaten Path
- Rosses Point
- Saint-Malo Off The Beaten Path
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon Off The Beaten Path
- Vail Off The Beaten Path
- Bodrum Off The Beaten Path
- Lido di Venezia
- Syracuse Off The Beaten Path
- Ulcinj Off The Beaten Path
- Cherkasy Off The Beaten Path
- Kharkiv Off The Beaten Path
- Sonoma Off The Beaten Path