Pantanal Things to Do

Getting close to the caimans.
    Lot's of caimans.
    Pantanal by horse.

Most Recent Things to Do in Pantanal

Canoeing the Pantanal.

by cachaseiro Updated Nov 7, 2009

Canoeing is a great way to see the Pantanal.
    You get very close to the caimans that way and you can also observe bird life very well that way.
    On top of that canoeing is just a very fun activity that rests a stressed out mind very well.

Canoeing the Pantanal. Canoeing the wetlands of Brazil. Riding in to the sunset.
    • Birdwatching
    • Water Sports

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

See the Pantanal from a horseback.

by cachaseiro Updated Nov 7, 2009

Horseback riding is a very nice way to enjoy the nature of the Pantanal.
    It gives you a real back to the nature feeling riding through flooded areas of the Pantanal while watching the nature and the animals you pass.
    It´s also a very local way to get around as the Pantanal is full of cowboys as it is a part of Brazil that has a lot of cattle.

Pantanal by horse. Me on my horse.
    • Birdwatching

Watching caimans.

by cachaseiro Updated Nov 7, 2009

The south american crocodille called caiman is a non agressive animal so you can get real close to them and watch their daily routines as long as you don't act too foolish.

The pantanal is packed with caimans and you come across them all the time.

Getting close to the caimans. Lot's of caimans.
    • Farm Stay

• jitkaceska's Profile Photo

Down the Transpantaneira

by jitkaceska Written Jan 6, 2008

To the deep Pantanal you can go by car
    It is one of the best places in South america to see wildlife, which is drawn to the roadway at all times of the year. Stopping to see wildlife and slowing down for 118 little wooden bridges and meter-wide potholes, it is possible to pass the whole day driving the Transpantaneira. Weekdays are better for driving, as there id less traffic dust. The best time to hitch is on weekend, when locals drive down the Transpantaneira for a day´s fishing.

Transpantaneira Wooden bridge Pantanal Deer Capybara Caiman
    • Safari

• marybellone's Profile Photo

Pirahna Fishing

by marybellone Written Mar 4, 2007

We used bamboo fishing poles and meat to fish for pirahnas. Some groups actually waded in the water but we didn't. Most people caught a few fish. I only caught one but my friend sadly didn't catch any :( Then they take the fish you catch and they use it for your next meal. We enjoyed pirahna soup and fried pirahna. Yummy!

• Fishing

• swesn's Profile Photo

PANTANAL TRIP

by swesn Written Nov 30, 2006

To give some VT-researchers an idea of the itinerary so as to make your travel plans better, here is a write-up of what went on in the 4-day trip I was on. (Hopefully, not much has been changed since 2002.)

1st day: Long drive to the camp-site. Arrive on the night of the 1st day at great campsite, with hammocks for 'beds'.

2nd day: I had gone in October and I am not sure how the weather is like in other seasons. But at that time, as it was too hot to do much in the day-time, treks are done very early in the morning and in the late evening to spot wildlife. Lots of walking, and what you see depends on season and luck. In the afternoon, basically just relax around the campsite.

3rd day: Driven to another camp-site which is basically just a huge amazing tree with lots and lots of branches to hang hammocks, no other facilities. It was great! It is next to a river, so it was great for swimming as well. Although the caimans (small South American alligators) are swimming in the same place, they do not attack people. Piranha-fishing in the afternoon. Evening trek. For those on 3-day-tour, they head back to the 1st campsite in the evening without the evening trek.

4th day: Another day at that tree and more treks, returning to the 1st campsite only in the late evening.

5th day: Horse-riding in the morning and back to Campo Grande or Bonito, if you have arranged beforehand.

Of course, the itineraries are set by the tour agents, not me,so they may be different.

Say 'aaahhhh'

• swesn's Profile Photo

PANTANAL : IN TOUCH WITH FAUNA

by swesn Written Nov 30, 2006

The Pantanal is a huge alluvial plain. This area used to be an inland sea. As it started to dry out 65 million years ago, it became a vast lake and now, a periodically flooded plain. As it is surrounded by hill lands, rain flow into the Pantanal and flood the low-lying Pantanal, creating cordilheiras (where animals can gather for water sustenance) during the rainy season.

Thus, it is an area teeming with an immense variety of wildlife. Pantanal is the place to watch mammals like capybaras, tamanduas, coatis, howler monkeys; birds like spoonbills, macaws, toucans, screamers, and caymans. There is piranha fishing too.

One of the most amazing thing here is to wake up and hear the chorus of the howler monkeys howling and growling at 5am in the morning!

Pantanl guided tours can be arranged from Cuiaba in Mato Grosso and Corumba ror Campo Grande in Mato Grosso do Sul.

During the dry season, it can be very hot, up to 40C in the day. But the hikes are done in the early morning or late afternoon - still hot, but not as bad as in high noon. The campsites provide great shade so afternoons are mainly for relaxing, chatting, reading, etc...

During the wet season, I believe the tours are in canoes.

Jabiru stocks - symbols of Pantanal

• Looking for Things to Do?!

by MariaLerner Written Nov 22, 2006

I like to do lots of research before traveling to a destination and I usually have a good idea of the general setting I will be in when I get there, but I have just had a really hard time getting information on the Pantanal. Online, there seems to just be very little useful info. I found one site, but otherwise I am looking for maps, comparison between lodges, and the like.

This is my dream destination though..,

• bsfreeloader's Profile Photo

Watch Wildlife

by bsfreeloader Updated Apr 15, 2006

Perhaps because I am getting jaded, the Pantanal failed to live up to its billing as the best place in the Americas to view wildlife. In three days of wildlife viewing, we did see numerous capybaras (the world's largest rodent), coatis, raccoons, foxes, howler monkeys, agoutis, and peccaries. We also saw many species of birds, including two species of macaw, several other species of parrots and parakeets, toucans, jabirus, and many other wading birds. In addition, we saw alligators and caught a fleeting glimpse of an anaconda. Nevertheless, with some notable exeptions, these creatures were seen in relatively small numbers and were very wary of people. As is typically the case with wildlife, the prime viewing hours are very early in the morning and late in the day.

A capybara stops to smell the flowers. A pair of macaws - partners for life. A white-tailed deer. A jabiru. A coati.
    • Safari

GETTING SPORTY....

by schurlif Updated Nov 14, 2005

Of course , every day you get taken on some excursion , be it doing the kayak , riding a horse , playing silly games with the alligators , riding bikes , exploring the wilderness from the back of a truck ( standing up ) or simply taking an extensive walk.....

All is good for your health and your form ( except maybe my clowneries with the reptiles but adrenaline rushes keep you awake...).

And watching the sunset is good for your mind and soul....

All in all a fit and healthy holiday...... Give yourself a treat....

Camila ready for some mean watersports She uses the paddle , I enjoy myself.... Pantanal Sunset Feeling free.... Some people call me crazy , I wonder why...?
    • Kayaking

WILDLIFE WATCHING

by schurlif Written Nov 13, 2005

This is one of the reasons you come to the Pantanal for... to see the animals in their free habitat. Here are some pictures I shot on our different excursions and of course these are just a few examples... Picture # 1 shows three blue and yellow macaws taking a break on the trees branches..... Picture # 2 a small baby deer taking a walk on the other side... Picture # 3 a hawk pretending to be a statue , Picture # 4 another bird in a palm tree , don't know what kind of bird , looks like a duck... but I'm not sure...and finally picture # 5 the meanie king, the big attraction and at the same time victim of poachers who go after the skin.... the Pantanal Cayman Alligator , o jacaré.....

Macaw Airport Bambi in South America Relaxing Deciding what to do next I'm not 10 % as mean as I look...

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO DO

by schurlif Written Nov 13, 2005

I know..... this is not going to be one of the most exciting tips but nevertheless, if you're staying at Pousada Cayman then go out from the backdoor and check out the area around and near the pousada... Remember, you're kilometers and kilometers away from the next village, it's July ( when I was there ), it's dry and the flora of the Pantanal is rather dull due to bad , poorly fertile soil..... Pictures # 2 and 3 show the typical landscape in the dry season, places that might very well be under water later on in the year.... I liked the shape of the tree in pic # 3..... Pic # 4 shows Camila in the same surrounding, so you get an idea of the landscape..... But, hey, what a surprise !! I took a walk by myself and first this little guy ( pic # 5) crossed my path.... This armadillo ( tatu in braz. Portuguese) was not shy at all.... he even accompanied me and started to dig and graze right next to me.... I even touched him and he didn't mind at all.... That was some nice experience. Then, as I walked a little further and started to cross a long bridge , I heard a thundering noise and thought that there would be bad weather soon... But when I looked around to see what was happening , I quickly turned around and fled the bridge because there were like 500 cows stampeding towards me with Brazilian cowboys on horses and lassos and all , just like straight out from an old American western movie.....( pic # 1 ) .....Had I been on the bridge when these guys were approaching fast..... better not think about it because the water below the bridge was alligator infested......
    At least now I know where my meat in the churrascarias comes from ( see my São Paulo tips on restaurants... lol )

S T A M P E D E   !  !  ! Brushes and single trees.... Nice tree Tree making a nice background Nice company

• Carla1973's Profile Photo

Jaguar Tracking

by Carla1973 Written Apr 10, 2005

On a friendly base you try to encounter the Pantanal Jaguar. By car you go down the Transpantaneira road all the way to Porto Jofre (180 km). Here the chances are really good. Along the way you stop sometimes to go into the woods, following tracks or trying to communicate with the jaguar. Our guide used a piece of bamboo and imitated the roaring of the Jaguar, hoping that a jaguar would respond. Unfortunately this way we didn't get to see one. In Porto Jofre we took the boat and went down the rivers. Along the riverside we found many tracks and after some waiting we finally got to see where we came for; a jaguar. The biggest cat in the Pantanal. Highly endangeroud and the most beautiful animal I saw. We could look at him for 2 min, then he went back into the woods. The next day we went down the rivers again and saw another jaguar, hiding when we got near, we just got a small glimp. Amazing and unforgettable! I've been to the Pantanal many times, but this has been the best tour ever.

• Adventure Travel

• amy312's Profile Photo

Horse-back riding

by amy312 Written Nov 18, 2004

Offered throughout the Pantanal. The people of the Pantanal are very good horseback riders, and I have heard stories of tourists falling and breaking bones, so if you are not an experienced rider, let your guide know!

Riding through the swamp

• janaina's Profile Photo

MAIN CITIES

by janaina Written Feb 25, 2003

The main cities in the area are:Corumba,Cuiaba and Campo Grande.
    Corumba is a port city,with beautiful houses from XIX.
    As part of its territory is in the Pantanal,the city invests in Ecotourism and fishing.
    Campo Grande became a city in 1918,and after the state of Mato Grosso was divided in 2 ( South and North Mato Grosso ),became the capital of the South Mato Grosso.
    Cuiaba is a very hot weather city,and close to the main tourist points in the state.

Instant Answers: Pantanal

Comments

Pantanal Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Pantanal things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pantanal sightseeing.