Itatiaia Travel Guide

The Whole Group at Ultimate Adeus
  • Things to Do

Itatiaia Things to Do

by blaird Updated Jan 4, 2006

I'll get a picture of this later, but there is an excellent hike starting from Hotel Simon leading up to Tres Picos. The hike is through a jungle like area, with wet rocks, little streams, small waterfalls, crazy looking plantlife, all different colored birds, and great views. On this hike, you will reach the top of Tres Picos, which was not nearly as cool as some of the places we came across on the way...but it is a nice place to turn around. It is about 12 K from the hotel, but it is slow going due to the many obstacles you need to cross.

• Hiking and Walking

by blaird Written Aug 14, 2003

As you follow the trails touring the many waterfalls in the area, you will come across a number of small waterfalls leading into nice little swimming holes. Be careful, as the area is not a water park, but there are some areas to cool off in.

Swim behind us!

by blaird Written Aug 14, 2003

We did quite the tour of waterfalls on one of the days of hiking. Follow the main road to the end and you will find trail heads leading to waterfalls. The trails are wet, but you can walk into the waterfalls if you like.

• Theme Park Trips

Itatiaia Hotels

Itatiaia Restaurants

by blaird Updated Sep 2, 2003

Okay, I said in the lodging section we stayed at Hotel Cabana, and they served meals in windows. Lunch ended at 3PM or 4PM, I can't remember, but I sure knew it one day we were doing our hike to Tres Picos. We got off the trail, onto the main road leading back down to Hotel Cabana, but we were wiped out from the hike, really, really hungry and too many kilometers from the hotel to make it before they closed up from lunch...or so we thought at the time. We tried using the cell phone to reach our friends with a car, but service was bad, we looked for a bus, but didn't see one, so we started on foot. The minutes were ticking away and Cristiane recommended a little jogging, Tiago was not very happy about this, but it was our only chance. To keep us going we talked about what food we might get if we made it back on time. The pace quickened and I announced how many minutes we had left before the lunch window closed. Faster and faster we went, with very short breathers in between. I was running in sandals, because my boots were really killing me...nice addition.

With a few minutes to spare we turned the corner and ran up the hill to the hotel. The owner saw us running and got the waiters to bring our food out...I ate sooooo much, it could have been liver (which it wasn't) and I would have plowed it down...but it was delicious. And boy did I stink.

Itatiaia Warnings and Dangers

by blaird Updated Oct 20, 2003

Okay, it is probably common knowledge that wet rocks can be slippery, and I have fallen on my fair share to know better, but...I really wanted to take that picture by the falls, and I thought it wasn't THAT slippery. Anyway, you cant see me in this pic, but you can see Tiago looking down at me and my girlfriend hamming it up for the camera while I am laying helplessly on wet rocks.

The moral of this story is "Beware of Wet Rocks, They Are Slippery"

• Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Itatiaia

Comments

Itatiaia Travel Guide
Map of Itatiaia