Recife Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Recife

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

North Eastern Brazil

by deeper_blue Written Dec 17, 2012

Favorite thing: Recife pronounced He-seefay is on the Atlantic coast, south of Olinda and North of Salvador. This could well be your first stop if coming by boat to South America. The climate is quite muggy and I found it quite a chaotic introduction to Brazil. It has plenty of character though.

• High ways

by cassiovieggore Written Nov 7, 2010

Favorite thing: As far as I read PE 060 workers are making in pairs PE060. So,the most reasonable for a stranger who don't speak portuguese is use PE073.
    As far as I know yet Porto de Galinhas is better than Tamandare, so you will enjoy better in Porto de Galinhas than in Tamandaré. Near Porto de Galinhas you will find many beachs (Muro Alto, Maracaipe, admiting surf and sea pool sports).
    The only charm from Tamandaré are: Praia dos Carneiros (mangrove and fisher village) and Mamocabinha/Boca da Barra beach.
    All these notes are from a brazilian who lives is Minas Gerais state, 2000Km far from Recife. Please don't repose confidence in my hints. I myself would not be confident on it... Besides Brazil is at rain season...
    Cassiovieggore

• martin555's Profile Photo

The positive things about Recife

by martin555 Written May 31, 2009

Favorite thing: I found Recife as a very interesting city, and it is a city i will return to one day. It was fun staying at the beach, playing football with the kids who lived on the streets, and eating at the many good restaurants. At night, it was a special sight to see how many people who were either walking or jogging near the beach with street lights making it safe to do. It's also street lights on the beach making people take a walk there at night in a nice atmosphere. All in all, Recife is a city i will highly recommend visiting, if you just watch your back. ( I don't have any photos from the trip)

Fondest memory: I'm missing the beach, the nice atmosphere around the beach and the nice and polite people. It was really a great experince visiting Recife.

• Water Sports
    • Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• Dirty City

by ccmfarias Written May 16, 2006

Favorite thing: Recife is a considered a big city, and as a big city( over a million and a half people) it does has problems. The traffic is terrible with not a lot of signs, there are a lot of young boys and gilrs on the streets asking for money. I would not go there. Instead a would go to Natal or Joao Pessoa. They has much to offer for much less money

Fondest memory: Olinda is a city close to recife that has beautiful churches. Even if you are not religious, it is worthy to pay a visit to these beautiful historical constructions.

• schurlif's Profile Photo

BEWARE THE AIRPORT POLICE AND TAM AIRLINES

by schurlif Updated Mar 5, 2006

SEVEN UP

Favorite thing: This actually belongs under "WARNING AND DANGER" tips but there's not enough space there to tell the whole story and even here it is quite abbreviated.....
    This is what happened .... we were way too early at the airport to check in with TAM airlines to fly to Rio..... Gucki and Bibi had allready left for Belem and Camila flew back to Sao Paulo , se we were only nine left.and our "big mistake" was to put all nine air tickets on the counter when we got there pretty quickly before most other passengers of the flight had arrived. ( later on we knew that we should have put 4 times 2 tickets and once one ticket on the counter to make it...). But the lame , incompetent and completely STUPID TAM employee was overwhelmed by having to process nine tickets at once , told us "to wait" and did NOTHING untill there were no more passengers checking in when he finally said : "I'm sorry , the flight is full , you can't leave tonight".... No real apology , no explanation , no mentioning that we could board another flight...... When Ewald and I protested and commented on the incapacity and incompetence of the TAM staff , they ignored us which made us even more ( understandably ) furious , so our protest got louder and we demanded to speak to a manager and a solution..... What happened next was that the Airport Police arrived and brutally ( arms on back , no kidding ) took Ewald and me away to the Federal Police . There I was told to f***ing shut up when I voiced my protest.

Fondest memory: When it dawned on the Feds that we weren't just "plain Brazilians or terrorists" but foreign tourists they tried to undo the whole thing by telling us "we could go" IF we signed a term that the Airport Police had "done nothing wrong" and we weren't hurt even though my arm and back was hurting and I had a hematome. I had to cool myself and Ewald down but only because the six girls (all minors) were there outside waiting for us. Pauli had managed to enter and give us moral support. We could have caused a diplomatic broohaha (maybe) which I told both Federal and Airport police and that this would not be very helpfull fot the cities tourism business. ( I was bluffing of course but they seemed to be worried and take my words seriously ). Ewald and I signed grudgingly after a while , Ewald not even being able to read and understand the text ( at which the Feds asked me to translate at which I responded that I would in Ewalds interest but that this whole act just intensified my impression of total incompetence and ignorance of the police and reminding them that I was not there to help or work for them.). At last , taking advantage of the moment , I said to the cop who had dragged me in there in front of the others that he had missed profession with his judgement of ignorance and that he was just another corrupt cop on someone elses payroll , like TAMs for instance. Well.. long story , short end , TAM put us in a hotel and we left on the first flight next day.The pics are from dinner at that hotel and of the seven girls before we were supposed to check in. Anyway , that flight to Rio was my last with TAM , I'd rather walk or swim than having anything to do with this " airline " again.
    PEOPLE , LISTEN TO AND BELIEVE ME : AVOID TAM AIRLINES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THEIR STAFF WAS INCOMPETENT , DISREGARDING , SARCASTICAL AND INPOLITE. THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TREAT A PAYING PASSENGER. AND WHEN YOU SEE UNIFORMED COPS AT RECIFE AIRPORT MAKE A BIG DETOUR AROUND THEM...

• schurlif's Profile Photo

OLINDA , NOT TOO IN DEPTH

by schurlif Updated Mar 5, 2006

Olinda Restaurant

Favorite thing: Unfortunately I don't have many pictures of Recife and Olinda , so here goes some general bla bla bla.... On our last evening we all went strolling through Olinda and ended up in this cute restaurant with puppet patrons.....Camila sat down with them for a chat and offering some wine.......
    Pic # 2 is one more view from the hill down on historical Olinda with Recife in the background.....

• faraco's Profile Photo

Visit Olinda.The Recife...

by faraco Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit Olinda.
    The Recife history shows a love and hate case with its neighbor Olinda city, the first Pernambuco capital. Recife was used as a harbor since 1548 by Olinda citizens, because it had better anchorage. Nevertheless it remained a dependent small village when, in 1630, the Dutch invaded Brazil and conquered Pernambuco. The conquerers preferred to settle at the harbor and, to punish the Olinda citizens resistance, they set fire on the city, whose population was forced to move to Recife.

• kathyceo's Profile Photo

Be sure to drive over to...

by kathyceo Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Be sure to drive over to Olinda, a chaming old world community next door to Recife. The churches, narrow streets, old style architecture, and artist community encourage strolling around, and looking back on the bustling city of Recife along the coastline.

Fondest memory: Strolling in the park in nearby Olinda, eating from the booths set up on a weekend night, looking at the wares for sale, listing to the pick-up band play their hearts out.

• The three main islands in the...

by Manoel_Dias Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: The three main islands in the delta of the Capibaribe and Beberibe rivers - Recife, Santo Antonio and Boa Vista - make up the city known as Recife, a modern capital of 1,500,000 inhabitants. It was named after the reefs (‘recifes’) that protect the palm fringed beaches. is the most popular beach. It is here one finds the best hotels, outdoor cafés and restaurants, as well as modern condominiums. The Dutch invasion of Recife in 1630 and their 30-year occupation can still be seen in its architecture, folklore and people. The Olinda a few minutes from downtown Recife, was declared a World Monument by Unesco. It is one of the best kept historical sites in Brazil. During the Holy Week, Nova Jerusalém a small town 185 km from Recife stages a Pageant of the Jesus Chist. The entire population of the town takes part. It is the world’s largest open-air theater, and spectators go along with the performers from one station to the next.

• pjallittle's Profile Photo

get yourself situated in a...

by pjallittle Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: get yourself situated in a nice hotel on the beach. Most are new, modern and peaceful, not crowded like the beaches in Rio de Janeiro. The principal tourist area is Boa Viagem.

Fondest memory: Besides the tranquility of the beach and surrounding area, visiting the Old Town area of the city was a real treat.

Recife is a very old city which has a shared history with nearby Olinda, formerly the capital of Brazil. Because it is a natural port, it soon outgrew Olinda, this all dates well back to the first half of the 17'th century.

At one time, the Dutch dominated the area, in fact, the Dutch West India Company set up shop there to control the sugar industry. The very history of the Dutch West India Co., is an important lesson in World history and how it impacted large regions of the entire World economy, not to speak of conflict.

Ultimately the Dutch were literally thrown out of Brazil by the Portuguese, finally surrendering in 1654 to the armed band of Brazilian sugar planters.

The eventual dominance of Recife, historically speaking, came about in 1710 when the merchants of Recife were able to wrest control of the area away from Olinda by force, immigration and politics.

This was supposed to be about fond memories. They are paraphrased from Lonely Planet BRAZIL

• Tamani's Profile Photo

Tamani's General Tip

by Tamani Updated Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: Just walking around town on my own. Enjoy a guarana softdrink in an outdoor cafe and enjoy the atmosphere. You easily take over the relaxed nature of the inhabitants of Olinda.

• joaoeurico's Profile Photo

Have money to buy lots of...

by joaoeurico Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Have money to buy lots of things, because you´ll not resist the objects, postcards and so on.

Fondest memory: The wonderful beaches of worm waters, the nature, the zoos, the Recife downtown and the old houses.

Instant Answers: Recife

Comments

Recife Favorites

Reviews and photos of Recife favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Recife sightseeing.