Florianópolis Sports & Outdoors

First Step
    by Jaxom
    Watch Out!!! My Mom is coming!
    Second Step

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Florianópolis

• vargome's Profile Photo

Surf Board Shaping

by vargome Written Feb 5, 2007

Joao Schlickman has been shaping boards for over twenty years. Joao competed in the circuit in Brazil prior to shaping boards, so he has an professional eye for each individuals surfing needs.

Equipment: Bring Joao your specifications, and he will shape a board that will work for you.

• vargome's Profile Photo

Surf Shops

by vargome Written Jan 3, 2007

Kauai Surf Shop in Joaqina has always been incredibly accomodating for my surfing needs. On my first trip, I bought a used board at Kauai which was very reasonable. I seached all of the surf shops around Joaqina and Central, and Kauai had the best deals. Additionally, the owner is willing to give you a deal, as long as you can speak basic Portuguese.

Equipment: I found that it was cheaper to buy a board, than to bring my board to Brazil. On both of my trips, I eneded up bringing back a board. The only downfall is that you have to pay around 50-100/H if you are flying to other surfing destinations.

• Surfing in Floripa

by Jaxom Written Dec 30, 2006
    First Step

For most people to become a pro you have to be born to surf in every way from body shape to mind. Most people think surfing is too easy, but if you keep reading my article you will hear just how hard it is to surf. When you are out there, the waves look like monster.

There are a lot of waves in the ocean big and small you must learn which waves are the best to use. Try to look in for a wave that is 1meter high. When you have found this type of wave go to the next step.

When a hunter hunts he has to find game and finding game is one thing catching it is another surfing is the same thing one thing to find another to catch. As soon as you find the right wave make sure it is 10 yards away then start paddling as it gets closer paddle harder and faster. When you think you caught the wave try to stand up which I will tell you about in the next paragraph.

When you stand up you kind of have to do the worm and then a monkey jump all at once which is why surfing is so hard. When you get up you have to stand up you have to put your feet in the exact right spot other whys it will tip and you will fall. So the first leg has to go right at your knee in less then a second and the other leg goes where your chest is. When you have all this done and standing up make sure your hips is facing the side and bend your knees with balance.

I should have told you this first, but if you want to buy a board get a 9 foot soft board because these are easier to balance. If you buy a short board I wish you luck because you are a long way from standing up. Long hard boards are too dangerous for kids.

To me surfing is one of most fun sports I have ever done in my life. If I could help any body at surfing I would, but I can’t. I strongly recommend starting surfing to anybody between the ages of 11-14. But I do recommend classes first.

• Surfing

• Hiking and Trekking

by pamsand Written Jun 8, 2005

The hikes in Florianópolis take you to the most beautiful and untouched beaches and waterfalls!

Equipment: a good pair of hiking shoes!

Instant Answers: Florianópolis

Comments

Florianópolis Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Florianópolis sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Florianópolis sightseeing.

View all Florianópolis hotels