Local traditions and culture in Estado do Maranhão

dried shrimps & cold beer
    by mircaskirca
    chill out with the delicious snack
    by mircaskirca
    in front of my temporary home

Most Viewed Local Customs in Estado do Maranhão

LIFE IN THE SUBURBS - COHASERMA

by RafaelTheSecond Updated Mar 14, 2007

You will never know the soul of a place when you get through the daily life of the people, the best way I have to understand and get to know Maranhão even better is staying in friend's houses and do what they do, like buying stuffs in local groceries, i like taking buses and get around in the city. And São Luis has a very good transportation system which serves every community in the city. Each visit to São Luis I stay longer, and Cohaserma is one of my references when I visit the city, and here you can see my incredible MARANHAO'S mother and great friend Corina (in private I always call her PEPA) taking a bus to go to her work in a big hospital in town. It is always a great moment for me to join her to the bus stop in the corner near to her house!;)

Mar 13th, 2007

MARANHÃO HAS A FACE

by RafaelTheSecond Written Feb 10, 2007

In every place we can find symbols, a bird can be a symbol of a city, a flower can be also a national symbol, any natural resources can always reminds us about a certain place. A person can take our mind to a certain country, a state or a city. Brazil is made by brave brazilians, good names that make the difference. Some people love their lands so much that they do their best to make it special.

When we think about Brazil we quickly think about RIO DE JANEIRO, THE AMAZON, THE GIRLS FROM IPANEMA, COPACABANA..The most well informed people will mention the Iguazu Falls, Brasilia as our capital, and so on!

Maranhão is meant to be a power in the brazilian tourism industry which are very concern to preserve our nature and haritage. Maranhão is a state of many incredible wild places, and it is a real paradise for great adventures and real nature lovers!

Its people are proud about their own culture, its people are worried to make the visitor feel at home.

And if there is a person that can fully represent Maranhão to any one interested to come and visit, I would name my friend Marcone. He writes about his land for foreign researches, he points where to go and what to see, and I am a great brazilian traveller, but he is my reference when I want to explore that part of the MIDDLE NORTH as they say!

He is a good person, he lives in São Luis, capital of Maranhão. He excelent family background gives him the wisdom to tell us many details about his land. He is a very talented English Teacher who adores welcome visitors, a person proud of his culture and people!

My work in maranhão owes alot to the strengh and effort of this man!

Thank you marcone to be so dear and respected in this part of our country! A brazilian like you is everything we need to prove to the World that Brazil is one of the most interesting destination in the World!

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo

A NATIVE CALLED MARCONE - THE BACURIZINHO!

by RafaelTheSecond Written Jan 6, 2007

Bacurizinho, that is how I fondly call him...Marcone is one of the most incredible people that I have met in São Luis.

I have been there 3 times and I am going to São Luis for the 4th time this coming tuesday on the 9th of January, and I do suggest anyone who is going to Maranhão for the first time...DO MAKE CONTACTS, and suddenly you will have a friend for longer!

Bacuri is a fruit that you find everywhere in the State, and my friend is as sweet as a Bacuri, and he is so kindly short that is he a real little bacuri.

Bacurizinho is my right arm now in everything I do in São Luis...My gereat friend and my best reference...everything I need to know, there is marcone to help me....And besides he is an english teacher, so if once you come to Maranhão and you need a help if you have any problems with the language...and if you get hurt...no problem, that selfmade man will be ready...he is studying nursery at college, so there will be always someone to take care of your life LITERALLY when you come to this lovely State.

Anyway, Marcone is the safe port of all traveller in Maranhão and I had the great honor to meet him and have him as one of my greatest and best friend in my life!

That warm smile gives you confidence, that incredible presence makes you to learn even more about his land!

This is the real welcome of a people who never udnerstand why they are so forgotten in the tourist scenery of Brazil. So we should go there and see how special and unique a holiday in São luis can be!

MARCONE, YOU ARE JUST WONDERFUL!

EVERYDAY FOOD IN MARANHÃO

by RafaelTheSecond Written Nov 17, 2006

Cuxá...they love rice, and they ix dry schrimp and a vegetable called VINAGREIRA...Well I was really excited to taste such a famous and appreciated dish...actually in the first time went to São Luis in September, it was the first things I did...I was at Calhau Beach and immediatelly ordered: ARROZ DE CUXÁ...

Very exotic taste....I am the kind of person who likes eating everything, but it was too strong...but I strongly recommend you to try!!!!

Because there are people who LOVE IT....

SEMPTEMBER 2006

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo

A GREAT PERSON WHO IS A LIVING FOLKLORE!

by RafaelTheSecond Written Nov 16, 2006

I know it is black and white...but I decided to increase my photographic material and have fun with my hobby which is taking pictures of popular culture, people and dramatic landscapes...And nothing better than that magic friday night under the strong beating of the TAMBOR DA CRIOULA drums...Mistery, sensuality and joy with all people in one little square at REVIVER...Not only that Square, but the whole city is sooooooooooooooooooo charming...The Samba rhythm is present in every corner....

TAMBOR DE CRIOULA is a sort of samba, it is a different one if you compare to the Samba in Rio or to the Samba in Bahia....

I am proud to be a friend of one of this group member...the crazyiest women in Maranhão State.

TAMBOR DE CRIOLA

by RafaelTheSecond Written Nov 16, 2006

Brazil has a lot of african influence, specially Maranhão which used to be a very big slave point..and when these people decide to party...MAN...Party all night long! :) And I was sleeping right in the centre of the BURNING PEOPLE'S GATHERING...Anyway....under my balcony WOMEN were dancing that sensual rhythm with such a lovely and shcoking percussion...They go deep in their past references, and they really get in absolutely trance...The Dance is so great that without noticing you are dancing too.

That friday night was unforgetable...and I can say it was one of the most complete nights in my life, I am always alright when I am among friends!;)

PARADISE IS HERE

by RafaelTheSecond Written Nov 7, 2006

Why do you have to spend hours in front of TV with your PLAYSTATION when you have endless activities in the Nature, children do not really care about Tv when they can play with other children in the sparkling clean waters of Taputiu, a mongrove village in the very interesting location of Raposa. It takes two hours to get there by boat, no cars can go there, but you find lots of life among the locals and you can learn that life can be simple.

This children called my attention, and I could show how nature and human being can be just one in this unique country called Brazil.

Estado do Maranhão Hotels

31 Reviews - 38 Photos
Ilha do Caju Hotels
2 Reviews - 1 Photo

Instant Answers: Estado do Maranhão

Comments

Estado do Maranhão Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Estado do Maranhão local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Estado do Maranhão sightseeing.
Map of Estado do Maranhão