Ilha de Marajó Off The Beaten Path

Vila do Pesqueiro
    Vila Cajuna
    by mircaskirca
    coexistence of Marajo horses and buffalo

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Ilha de Marajó

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Visit to Vila do Ceu and Vila Cajuna

by mircaskirca Updated Apr 11, 2007

Vila do Ceu and Vila Cajuna are little communities, not so close to a bigger town, where people, mostly fishermen, still live simple everyday life. The first village, Vila do Ceu, is about an hour walk from Praia do Pesqueiro and it is followed by the other, Vila Cajuna. As late on the afternoon the water gets higher, you need a boat transfer across the river. It's advisable to arrange it in advance with a fisherman in Vila do Pesqueiro.

I told Antonio, the owner of the pousada, that I was going to take a walk there and that I already arrange a boat transfer with a fisherman. He joined me to Vila do Pesqueiro just to convince himself that the fisherman was a trusty person. And to be sure that everything was going to be fine, Antonio wanted to show me the way. How nice! We had an interesting conversation, he showed and explained me a lot of things. Time passed by very quickly and soon we arrived.

The day was hot and there was quite a walk bihind us. The friendly people in Vila do Ceu offered us water, we had a chat... I really enjoyed it! I know... without a help of a friend wouldn't be the same. Thank you so much, Antonio!! :))

Vila Cajuna Antonio coexistence of Marajo horses and buffalo Vila do Ceu boat transfer across the river
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Vila do Pesqueiro (Fishing Village)

by mircaskirca Updated Mar 30, 2007

Only 15 minutes' walk from Praia do Pesqueiro lies Vila do Pesqueiro (Fishing Village), a community of about 340 native people, mostly fishermen. Vila do Pesqueiro is a very picturesque village that has four little shops and three public buildings: a school, a health centre and a dance hall - that are the only brick-built constructions of the village apart from the tower of Santa Luiza church.

Although the villagers are not used to foreigners, they are nevertheless friendly, helpful and reliable. One late afternoon (time when the water is usualy higher) I was returning from the trek to Vila do Ceu and Vila Cajuna. I knew that I needed boat transfer across the river so I arranged it before with one of the fishermen. He was waiting for me at appointed time and that was indeed full of praise!

Vila do Pesqueiro Santa Luiza church friendly fisherman's family crib of Jesus Christ - it was Christmas time!
    • Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Architecture
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Ilha de Marajó

Comments

Ilha de Marajó Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Ilha de Marajó off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ilha de Marajó sightseeing.

View all Ilha de Marajó hotels