Ilha do Algodoal Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Ilha do Algodoal

Beach of Fortalezinha Village

by mircaskirca Updated May 10, 2007

Fine white sand, emerald green waters, small natural pools that are formed at the low tide, mangroves, seagulls, scarlet ibis... This is the secluded beach of Fortalezinha village.

With 7 km of extension, it is excellent for strolling around, cycling, playing football, observing the variety of bird spicies and even sport fishing. Definitely my kind of beach!!

From Algodoal village you can get to the beach walking, by horse-drawn cart (50 minutes) or by motor boat (20 minutes). In case you come by foot, at high tide there is a boat transfer from the village across the channel.

more pics in the Travelogue

• Beaches
    • Fishing
    • Birdwatching

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Vila de Fortalezinha (Fortalezinha Village)

by mircaskirca Updated Apr 21, 2007

After quite a long walk we arrived to Fortalezinha village. First of all, we stopped at Marcelo's house. He was proud to tell me that he constructed it on his own. He left the bicycle there and picked some mangaba fruit from the tree for me, after we went on as he wanted to show me the village.

Fortalezinha is a little settlement of very friendly people. There is no real infrastructure for tourist. But if you like to stay over night, there is Pousada Ocio Verde (mobile: 91 8864 0297) and also a couple of places where you can get a simple meal (usually fish, acai...). Electric energy only came to the village in 2005.

One of the reasons for visiting Fortalezinha is a secluded sand beach that is perfect to observe many bird species.

• Birdwatching
    • Beaches

A Path to Vila Fortalezinha

by mircaskirca Updated Apr 16, 2007

the famous bridge

Fortalezinha is a small village on the other side of the island. I've got various info regarding the time needed to get there, from 45 minutes to two hours, and everybody recommended to take a guide. After getting to know about the route in details, I knew I could do it on my own. It was actually quite simple. I had to follow the electric conduit all the way and turn left on every crossway.

The route began in Algodoal village and continued with crossing an old bridge that was in fact in a very bad condition, half broken! The path led through various natural surroundings.

Although I had the idea I could do it on my own, I soon got a company. I met Marcelo, a native of Fortalezinha, at the beginning of the walk and we continued together. On the way he showed and explained a lot of interesting things to me, picked various fruits from the palms and other trees that I've never tried before... Really cool! He even offered to show me around the village, the beach... and later in the evening he returned to Algodoal village too. I was actually very happy to met Marcelo :))

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Ilha do Algodoal

Comments

Ilha do Algodoal Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Ilha do Algodoal off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ilha do Algodoal sightseeing.

View all Ilha do Algodoal hotels