Caxias do Sul Travel Guide

Caxias, Southern Brazil

Caxias do Sul Things to Do

On my birthday at Caxias do Sul, Brazil in Sept 3 more images

by jumpingnorman Written Jul 18, 2009

At both times, we drove from Porto Alegre, going to Caxias do Sul. If I am not mistaken I think we took the BR-116 to the North of the state (?)...and my memory is a bit fuzzy but it must have been a 2-3 hour drive...still had some jetlags during those times, hehehe...

But along the way, you would pass by the nice sceneries like green canyons where you can just park by the side of the road to enjoy the amazingly refreshing views. I took one picture there during my birthday in September!

• Photography

My best friend's MOM giving me her artwork, Brazil

by jumpingnorman Written Jul 18, 2009

I have visited Caxias, Brazil twice and both times my friends would bring me to this main road, Av Julio de Castilhos, which does remind me of small towns in Europe. This is where most of the shopping is concentrated and also they have hotels here where they brought me for a brunch buffet (but according to my friend, that hotel has closed down recently, 2009)...but still, this is the nice place to walk around in and see the people of Caxias.

• Hiking and Walking

• Caxias do Sul Hotels

10 Hotels in Caxias do Sul

9 Reviews and Opinions

Caxias do Sul Hotels

Caxias do Sul Shopping

Riding carousel with son

by jumpingnorman Updated Apr 29, 2009

Unfortunately, my luggage did not arrive with me due to a freak electrical storm in Houston during my first visit to Brazil so I had to buy my essentials --- clothes, underwear....and my friends brought me to Iguatemi which is a nice shopping mall where you can find everything you need. In my next visit, I think I returned again to this mall to buy very nice clothes for my twins (Le Tigre?) ---- made in Brazil clothes and bags are very good and they are proud of their local products. Soaps and lotions are also great in Brazil.I believe they also have Wi-fi available in some areas...

Hotel close to this mall is the Intercity Premium Hotel ----close to the shopping centre Iguatemi a few minutes from the centre of Caxias Do Sul. It is a a 4 star Caxias do Sul hotel also close to the railway station the beautiful wine region.

What to pay: everything you need

Caxias do Sul Off The Beaten Path

Canyons near Cambara do Sul , Brazil 4 more images

by jumpingnorman Written Jul 18, 2009

My best friend in Brazil took me to canyons near Caxias which are covered by wonderful green trees - very refreshing sites. But if you go 2 1/2 hours Northeeat of Caxias, you will end up in canyons which my friend raves about as being reminiscent of what he saw at the Grand Canyon. Indeed these canyons are very deep and the only main difference with the Grand canyon is the all the green on top of it. I think the Cambara canyons designate an area which separates Rio Grande do Sul from Sta Catarina...

Cambara do Sul is visited by those who want to visit The National Parks of Aparados da Serra
    which has the famous canyon of Itaimbezinho that is 720 meters deep and six kilometres long.
    Serra Geral is another National Park which has the Fortaleza Canyon that is 900 meters deep and eight kilometres long.

The parks are opened from Wednesday to Sunday, 9.00 a.m. until 17.00 p.m.

(55 54) 251 - 1277

• National/State Park
    • Photography

• janaina's Profile Photo

by janaina Written Sep 17, 2002

PLS don't miss the ITALIAN and GERMAN immigration villages..it can be quite far away from Porto Alegre,but it worths,and the way to them is just fantastic!All about it in the travelogues..
    CIAO NONNA..!!

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Caxias do Sul? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Caxias do Sul Favorites

My Brazilian friends with Italian-German Ancestry

by jumpingnorman Written Jul 18, 2009

Favorite thing: The Italian immigrants were mostly farmers from northern Italy and migration started taking place in 1875 in Nova Milano. The town of Caxias was created on July 20, 1890 and acknowledged in the same year, on August 24.

Nowadays, Caxias do Sul is considered the center of the Italian presence in Southern Brazil ---developing profitable industries, vast vineyards and wineries.

Instant Answers: Caxias do Sul

Comments

Caxias do Sul Travel Guide
Map of Caxias do Sul