Bar do Mineiro, Rio de Janeiro

by Dabs
  • RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo

BAR DO MINEIRO: EAT LIKE THE CARIOCA

by RafaelTheSecond Written Dec 22, 2007

Santa Tereza...this is the first portuguese settlement since the colonization times, the favourite place in the brazilian royalty (Remember we were a portuguese colony, we were a kingdon, we were an empire and we became a republic...that is what makes Brazil a special and unique country) and we will eat in a VERY BRAZILIAN BAR..so much appreciated by the cariocas!!!

So nothing can be better than BAR DO MINEIRO...one of the so many local bars that you can find in the neighborhood. This bar has more than 80 years...so you can imagine that this is the place where you have to go.

Favorite Dish: Feijoada is their speciality...and one dish is sufficient for 3 people!!!

SIMPLY DO NOT MISS IT!!!

In the picture you can see my friends from Nice, France...The so pleasant Charlie...spending the day with him is the guarantee of loud laugh all day long....And the DANISH ALMOST FRENCH Barbara with her very clever conclusions about life and he unique knowledge regarding flowers! :)

Charlie, Barbara and I at Mineiro's

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Bar de Mineiro: Feijoada in Santa Teresa

by Dabs Updated Apr 10, 2006

I don't know how we would have gotten to this place had we not been with a guide, you are supposed to take the bonde (tram) to go into this area but the tram workers were on strike and the trams nowhere to be seen. Bar de Mineiro is a very popular place with the locals especially on Saturday afternoon when they are serving the traditional Saturday lunch meal of feijoada.

The tables are crammed together and there's a lot of hustle and bustle but that's part of the fun of eating here.

Favorite Dish: Our guide did the ordering for us, one of the dishes since it was a Saturday was feijoada, a black bean stew with some type of meat in it (I think ours had pork in it). It's served with white rice, finely shredded kale and fried manioc flour. I'm not a huge bean fan so my husband stared at me incredulously as I cleaned off my plate, it was really tasty!

The origins of feijoada are disputed, some say that it's a traditional Portguese dish, some say that it's origins are with the African slaves that were throwing cheap ingredients together in a stew. What's not in dispute is that it's a Brazilian national dish and that it's typically only served at lunch on Saturdays AND that you'll need a nap after you've eaten it.

I'm pretty sure the other dish that we ordered was carne seca (dried pork with spices) and that was also good.

After the meal our guide told us to eat the orange slices that they gave us, he said it was to aid in digestion. You might also want to have a caipirinha or two along with your meal.

Feijoada Carne seca Bar de Mineiro

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo

BAR DO MINEIRO: EATING LIKE A CARIOCA

by RafaelTheSecond Written Nov 26, 2005

If you are ever hungry in your walkings through Rio de Janeiro, and if by chance you are in Santa Tereza, well forget about Mac Donald's...go to a local bar, and this one is VERY traditional, and try something brazilian, the FEIJ?OZINHO AMIGO...They serve a glass of hot beans with bacon and soem fine herbs....DO IT, and you will love it!

Here you can see the french canadian Pierre having some stomach fun at Bar do Mineiro

Favorite Dish: Every friday they also serve FEIJOADA

The canadian hunger in Santa Tereza by RTL

• racheljapi's Profile Photo

Bar do Mineiro: Restaurant in Santa Tereza

by racheljapi Updated Jan 4, 2005

This is wonderful food in a great atmosphere. Order the lunch special or pick and choose between different plates. This is a great place for lunch, dinner, or meeting up for beers.

Favorite Dish: A must have is the feijoada. They do dishes of the day where they select certain dishes for the customers to choose from. The feijoada is usually served on the weekends.

Feijoada is Brazil´s national dish, and also Rio´s most famous. This mouthwatering meat and bean casserole is served at almost every restaurant and at every family gathering. The diva of Rio´s dishes (and also Brazil´s national dish) was originally made out of leftovers to feed slaves. Feijoada requires lengthy preparation, usually a social activity with several family members milling around the kitchen. It is a delicious casserole consisting of black beans and a variety of dried, salted meats, which benefits from slow cooking and/or reheating. It may be prepared ahead of time and is traditionally eaten on Saturdays. Feijoada is actually the main ingredient of a meal consisting of 7 dishes. It should be served with farofa, arroz Brasileiro (white Brazilian rice), hot pepper and lime sauce, couve (kale greens) and slices of fresh orange.

Farofa (that I mentioned above ) is toasted cassava meal which accompanies nearly all Brazilian main courses. The basic flour is available from grocers as farinha de mandioca (manioc flour). Melted butter can be used as an alternative to dendê oil (palm oil). The flour is simply fried lightly in the melted butter until both ingredients are fully combined to form a rich yellow color and a texture, which melts in your mouth. Additional ingredients can be added, such as raisins, nuts and dried sausage.

The menu says that this dish is for 2 but it can easily feed 4.

feijoada

Instant Answers: Rio de Janeiro

Comments

Hotels Near Bar do Mineiro
4.5 out of 5 stars