Garota De Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 8 Reviews

• Garota De Ipanema
    by Paul2001
    Garote de Ipanema restaurant.
    by cachaseiro
  • Garota De Ipanema
    by easterntrekker
  • Paul2001's Profile Photo

The Garota de Ipanema: Where "The Girl from Ipanema" was written

by Paul2001 Updated Jul 25, 2013

This is one of the most famous restaurants in all of Rio de Janeiro simply for the fact that musical history took place here. It was in the Garota de Ipanema that poet Vinicius de Moraes and singer Tom Jobim wrote that memorable song "The Girl from Ipanema". I understand that the restaurant has been much changed since then. It has been much enlarged and now seems to be more a restaurant than a bar. In fact I could not even find a bar inside. Once the song became an international hit, the bar became extremely popular.

Favorite Dish: As I said I found it more a restaurant than a bar. In fact I ate dinner here during my final night in Ipanema. I had chicken parmagana. It was alright but a bit overpriced. At least the portions were large.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Garata de Ipanema: Where the Famous Girl once roamed

by easterntrekker Written Oct 25, 2010

I know , I know its a tourist trap but I couldn't resist. We both love that song and we really enjoyed sharing a bottle of wine and mixed grill at the cafe where the song "The Girl from Ipanema "was written.

Legend says a this is the cafe by which the 15 year old girl strolled on her way to the sea.
    There are lots of memorabelia on the walls and the food was really good. The only disappointment was there was no music!!

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Garota de Ipanema.: Have a stop at the famous place.

by cachaseiro Written Aug 9, 2010

Garote de Ipanema restaurant.

The most played brazilian song ever is called "garota de Ipanema" and was aritten by Antonio Carlos Jobim while he was a looking at a pretty girl walking past his favorite cafe every morning.
    Now you have the chance to sit there and look at the pretty girls and i am close to saying that you will find no other place on earth with more pretty girls than Ipanema.
    The restaurant is an upper/middle class place that serves brazilian food and drinks for acceptable prices.

Favorite Dish: I usually just go there for an afternoon drink on the way back from the beach.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• npsdguy's Profile Photo

Garota de Ipanema: Girl from Ipanema

by npsdguy Written Jan 10, 2010

This is the place were the song "Girl from Ipanema" was written. It's located on a corner and is very popular. If you arrive after 9pm expect to wait for a table.
    The menu is extensive, nothing really too fancy, and for Ipanema it's pretty cheap. The waiters are attentive and quick. Try to get a table near the open windows if you can - just to get some breeze, or under one of the few ceiling fans. The words to the song are up on a couple of walls and you can take pics if you want.

Favorite Dish: We came here a couple of nights and had steak and chips, beef Tournados Forrestier (which came with potatoes, onions, mushrooms and some other veggies in a red wine sauce) - delicious. The portion of chips was very generous. The second time we went there we had sea bass in a lemon sauce and potatoes - it was OK. And shrimp spaghetti, which again, was OK.

• monicarc's Profile Photo

Garrota do Ipanema: A great experience!

by monicarc Written Oct 24, 2005

This restaurant was great--it is where the famous song "The girl from Ipanema" was written! It is also a bit of a whole in the wall, which I think is great! The portions are HUGE, even by my Texan standards. I don't they had any menus in english, but the wait staff is nice and we figured out what we wanted.

Favorite Dish: We had the parmesean chicken, yum!! In Portugese, I think "chicken" is "farrago", something like that, defintely not "pollo".

• besbel's Profile Photo

Garota de Ipanema: Garota de Ipanema

by besbel Updated Jul 24, 2005

Garota de Ipanema

The fame of this restaurant comes mostly from the fact that Brazilian composers Tom Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes are said to get the inspiration to the song "Garota de Ipanema" in this place, while observing a young girl walking towards the beach. That's why the restaurant later changed its name to Garota de Ipanema, and its decorations and memorabilia on sale are devoted to that event.
    As for the food, it was variated (from Brazilian grilled meats to international food). It was delicious, although some dishes were a bit expensive. They also have a variety of drinks and cocktails. The service was also OK.

Favorite Dish: Loved the caipirinha (the Brazilian national drink made with cacha├ža liqour and lemon) and the grilled picanha (meat). If you go in a large group, I recommend you to take the dishes meant for 2-4 persons, because it is well served and it's cheaper.

• sunlovey's Profile Photo

Garota de Ipanema: Ended up here w/out even knowing where we were...

by sunlovey Updated May 6, 2005

what we had...

OK, it was packed. We were starving, and we ducked in for a quick bite to eat before hitting the beach. It's wide open set up makes you feel like your inside and outside. It has a tiny little bar to its side that is quite full of people downing beers.

The waiter was friendly enough.

How odd that we didn't realize we were at the famed locale Jobim was at when he was inspired to write "The girl of Ipanema".

Tim saw someone eating feijoada and asked for it too.

Favorite Dish: OK, not my favorite meal at all, but here are the details...

feijoada- came with a side of rice, a side of black beans and a pot of pig parts, also a side of garlic kale and a side of buttery manioc flower- oh and lastly, a cachasa & lemonade drink with a sliced orange. I think it was $23.00 real. Was supposed to be shared but I am picky picky picky and was going nowhere near the pot of pig. (which tim later informed me contained very identifiable body parts). This is not for the weak.

I tried the kale, yes, the beans just a bit (as I knew they were made with a meat stock) and ordered myself some yummy fried provolone and a salad.

We had antarctica guarana to drink.

• cadiana88's Profile Photo

Bar Garota de Ipanema: Vinicius de Moraes

by cadiana88 Updated Jul 7, 2004
    Bar Garota do Ipanema

In this site, Vinicius de Moraes wrote the world-famous known song "Garota de Ipanema" (Girl from Ipanema).

Favorite Dish: Drink Brahma beer and enjoy the Bossa Nova

Instant Answers: Rio de Janeiro

Comments

Hotels Near Garota De Ipanema
4.0 out of 5 stars