Marius, Rio de Janeiro

Av Atlantica, Leme

Confecionaria Colombo interior
    by NedHopkins
  • Cipriani Restaurante, Copcabana Palace Hotel
    Cipriani Restaurante, Copcabana Palace...
    by NedHopkins
    New Years 2008
    by jwilliams2005
  • Marius: Marius, one of the best in town!

by leovlasveld Written Dec 29, 2011

I am going to Marius tonight, its one of my favorite restaurants here in Rio de Janeiro. Looking the webpage to make the reservation I saw some comments from a few foreigners who are telling NOT to go there.
    Reading there comments I realized the comments are not fair.

Facts:
    one of the best restaurants in Rio with a BBQ and a seafood option or a combination of the two;
    the ambiance, in front of the Copacabana beach, the interior of the restaurant brings you in the mood of the sea, pirates, history, romance and even the toilet is a "special place" to be!;
    all kinf of meat and seafood, fresh from the grill, rare, medium well done, its no problem because they prepare it for you;
    a buffet with also prawns, oisters, salmon etc. so when you choose for the meat option you still can eat some seafood;
    all kind of drinks, national beer, imported beer, an excellent wine map, cocktails, whatever you want;
    you choose your option and you can eat what and how match you want;
    I experienced there only 100% quality!

There are waiters who do not speak English and I have the idea that there is the problem. We are in a country with 200 million Portuguese speaking people, you know that when you go to Brasil.
    The Brazilians are fantastic people, always in a good mood and in Rio always in for samba, they are very kind and want to help where ever they can! Very proud also and for some its difficult to confes they don't understand you!

So when you are not sure of something, like every where in the world, ask and when necessary ask again, ask for some one who speaks good English, there are always waiters who does it!

When you take the time to inform you well, when you want to know what the prices are, ASK, make it yourself clear!

On the orher hand, when I am in Europe, and I go to a restaurant with Michelin stars, I don't wurry about the bill, I enjoy.

I go tonight and tomorow I give you a 100% honest comment about Marius.

I made this comments because I am sure the restaurant don't deserve the critic not to go there!

A restaurant must fit you, you fit the restaurant!

Favorite Dish: The filet mignom, bife Agnus and the lamb are fantastic!

• Marius: AVOID, PLEASE AVOID

by dancerapc Written Sep 19, 2011

We knew something was up before we even went. The man at the front desk of our hotel making the reservation for us mentioned on the phone to Marius that we were American. Why would that be necessary to know? In my tour book it mentioned that Marius had 30 different types of meats and was priced in the $20-30 range. That couldn't have been more wrong. We got there and were shocked at the price: $51 set price just for meat. We decided to stay and we all chose meat only. The only appetizers we were brought were seafood. We were told that the buffet was included. It consisted mostly of seafood. So I was paying for things I couldn't eat. We never saw a price list for drinks. The meat came out already cut so you couldn't request it rare or medium, etc. We only saw about 6 different choices. The same that we have seen at all of the other Brazilian steak houses. We were disappointed in the selection and the amount of meat. Most of us decided to get some food from the dessert buffet, which included cheese and fruit, and it was conveniently located next to the other buffet. When we went to pay ($741 for 10 people) we notice there was an extra charge for the dessert buffet. An extra charge of $11! The caiparinhas were $10! One of my friends tried to tell the manager that we didn't know there was an extra charge. We were told the buffet was included. He simply said "Oh" and then walked away. We decided just pay and get out of there. As we left I approached the same man and asked if he was the manager. He said yes and I repeated our problem and he just said "No, the dessert is not included." I told him it was unfair to insinuate that everything at the buffet was included when it was only partially included. He just repeated "No" I am so upset that such a place got so much money from us. I have been in Brazil for 2 1/2 months. I have been going to one steak house each week, sometimes 2 per week. I have gotten more and better food at places for a fraction of the cost, and people that are way nicer. There is a place just around the corner where everyone spoke english, they were very nice, explained everything, gave every single price, and were happy to bring out more food or whatever it was whenever asked. Marius was a complete scam and rip-off. DO NOT EAT THERE.

Favorite Dish: None.

• Marius: Avoid this dump at all costs

by wmloz Updated Apr 4, 2011

What a dump... Yes, it's charming and cute and all that good stuff, but the place is a run down aging dump. We got there early by dinner standards here, around 6:30 pm. The place smelled so strongly of deodorizing spray it was incredible. When it finally subsided, it wasn't hard to tell why they needed it. The smell of wet dog was so thick it literally made my stomach turn. My wife convinced me it must be the cheese we were sitting by, so we moved. Luckily there was a breeze where we moved to, but it didn't get any better. As the food started coming out, the food had a distinct rancid smell. All of it tasted HORRIBLE save for a few items. My son and wife said the bread was the best part.

Mind you we only had the seafood part. The menu is priced 115 for just meat, 150 reals for seafood, 170 reals for combination. That's a LOT of money. We shared a moderately priced bottle of wine, the three meals, two local cocktails, water and some sodas for my son. Final price 713 Reals... At todays exchange rate that was $382.00 USD! An absolute, absolute tourist rip off orchestrated by the hotel and taxi staff.

A MUCH better choice, where we ate the night before, was Oasis. An authentic rodizio style grill similar to Fogo de Chao in Houston. That was $225 for the three of us.

Favorite Dish: The table bread.

• jwilliams2005's Profile Photo

Marius: The best Seafood and Salad Bar

by jwilliams2005 Updated Apr 4, 2011

New Years 2008

In my opinion, the best all you can eat seafood and steak restaurant in Rio. They serve varieties of prime cuts of beef; Prime Rib, Filet Mignon, T-bone, Rack of Lamb, etc. Excellent seafood such as fresh oysters, shrimp, langoustines, and smoked salmon. They also have an outstanding salad bar with many dishes and sauces. The waiters are very prompt and courteous. They will continue to serve you until you say enough. They also have a great wine selection. It was a perfect romantic evening. The prices were comparable to what I would have paid at a posh restaurant in Washington DC.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dishes are the prawns and filet mignon. The tastes are very flavorable, and memorable.

• Luxury Travel

• Marius: Do not go here

by booking8d1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

We were in Rio during Carnaval and was looking forward to eating seafood at Marius. We heard that it was expensive but good but were never prepared for what we would be charged. The buffet had crab legs, lobster chunks and every type of fish you can imagine. Very good selection but then theres a buffet that has desserts on it and one would assume that if you pay for a buffet, everything would be included. Keep in mind there were no signs on the dessert buffet. We get our bill and the price for two adults, 2 caiprihinas 2 bottle of water 2 seafood buffets and 2 "desserts buffets" was $R 430.00!!! which translates to about $195.00 US. I seriously thought it was a mistake but the pregnant woman who was managing the place came over and explained about the buffet. No matter how much I argued it wasn't happening. for two desserts off of the buffet, it costs us almos $38.00 due to the fact that we didn't know about the extra charge. Do not visit this establishment as they prey on tourists and know that they'll have to pony up afterwards. It is worth maybe $50.00 each but now where near the highway robbery that took place.
    you are warned.

Favorite Dish: they were all okay

• Marius: Marius Rio de Janeiro - Worst meal ever!

by MarcCain Updated Apr 4, 2011

We travel to Rio 4-5 times a year and have eaten at about every fine dining restaurant there. We decided to try Marius again. What a HUGE mistake. Marius is very popular because it has a great atmosphere. What it also has is terrible food and is way over priced. We had the combination sea food and steak dinners. All the meat was coming to the table well done even though we requested it rare and medium rare. The did have a great selection of sea food that they brought around to the tables including lobster. But is was all so over cooked you couldn't eat it. The worst part was when the bill came to the table - r170.00 per person + drinks + r20.00 for the buffet. That was about $80 per person. Even the best Brazilian Steakhouses cost only about $40 per person. I don't mind paying more for a great meal but this was the worst food I have ever had in Brazil. Beach food tastes better. Even the service was poor.

Next time we'll stick to the tried and true favorites of Porcao Rio's, Cipriani's, Greco, Fasano

• marius leme: Marius gouges foreigners

by bmahlock Updated Apr 4, 2011

I had visited Marius back in 1998 or '99, and remember it being a great seafood meal at a reasonable price. After going back there a few weeks ago with two friends, I'll never go again. The food is very good - not the best (that's in Barra de Tijuca). The price, however, was insane. R$650 for three people! That's three seafood flat rates at R$175 per person, one caipirinha, two beers, one glass of wine and three apertifs. The place has become a classic tourist trap. Avoid it.

• koenvdz's Profile Photo

Marius: Tourist Trap to the second degree !!!!

by koenvdz Updated Apr 4, 2011

Well I've visited a lot of restaurants in my various stays in Rio de Janeiro and after six years of visiting this wonderful city, I finally went to Marius. The Restaurant has a pretty good name and is very well known in the city. So of we went.... we arrive at the restaurant and the waiter came to us to ask if we knew how the restaurant works, Rodizio (all you can eat for a fixed price), since I'm not new to the Rodizio system, I said i did. so the waiter pointed us out to the buffet and asked if we wanted a drink. We never saw a menu and they didn't offer us one. So the prices were unknown to us. We asked for a caipavodka (Caiparinha with Vodka instead of Cachasa). And we went over to the buffet. Honestly I wasn't very impressed with the seafood, the choice was not that eleborate, and the real goodies (lobster, king crab,.....) were hard to find. Luckily they came at the table with some better food. The Japanese food (nowadays always present in the better rodizio's) was there but the choice was again limited. The service at the table was not very good, especially if you compare it to the excellent service you get in almost all restaurants in Rio de Janeiro. And then came the "Bill" ..... I almost fell off my chair. the Rodizio of seafood was a 135 R$ (75 US $) per person. Te total bill for 2 Rodizio's 2 Caiparin's 4 beers and the final bill added up to a whopping 350 R$ (= 200 US $). For that amount I can go 4 times to a very good Japanese restaurant in Rio with far more better service. A pitty that all the big hotels send tourists to that restaurant ..... Oh I almost forgot when you go to the dessert buffet they add another 25 R$ per person to your bill. Even if you don't eat any dessert they try to put it on you r bill, we saw it happening to all the parties around us. So CHECK your bill for any unwanted items... This is a disgrace ....

• Marius: too much salt!

by meyerchick Updated Apr 4, 2011

The decor was outstanding, the service superb, and the buffet was the best I've encountered. But all the meats served at the table were soaked in salt, which assists your thirst for alcohol, but would not be recommended for your overall health, and not very tender or enjoyable. After all the hype about Brazilian beef, I would rate the quality of the meat a "C" at best. Next year I will report on the seafood side.

Favorite Dish: the buffet

• MLW20's Profile Photo

Marius: Bring on the meat

by MLW20 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Meaty

If you want to try a real Brazilian Barbecue (Churrascaria) then you must try Marius. You pay a set price and then the waiters come around with various types of meats on skewers/swords that they serve by cutting it from the skewer. There is also a big salad bar which is nice but don't fill up on it.

When you are done eating you flip the disk in front of you over to the red side so the waiters know to stop bringing you food.

Marius is a bit pricier than most restaurants in Rio but it is worth a visit if you want to experience a real Brazilian Churrascaria!

Favorite Dish: It's been a few years but most of the meats were good. Try them all!

• tere1's Profile Photo

Marius: Excellent meat and salads!

by tere1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a typical Brazilian, good quality churrascaria, the perfect place if you are a meat lover. With an exquisite and interesting decor, the restaurant overlooks the Leme Beach and offers more than 30 different grilled meat dishes.

The food is great and you will eat a lot there!They keep coming to your table with more meat varieties.

For those not too keen on having meat only, there is a superb salad bar with colorful, tasty vegetable combinations as well as a great selection of fish. Right next door is Marius Crustaceos, a seafood palace.

Be sure to book a table and to drink some "caipirinhas " along with your meal!

• Business Travel

• Marius: It's Great, but waaaay expensive

by luizgx Updated Apr 4, 2011

I'm Carioca (born in Rio), and I gotta tell you I love meat. Marius is a Restaurant, where you pay and you eat all the meat you can eat. There's and salad a hot buffet, as well. The food is great. But, it's a scamm... They have 2 different prices: one for brazilians and another one for tourists. They we'll charge almost twice they charge us...
    I think there are other great "churrascarias" in Rio. You can Always go to Porcão Rio's. You'll have a fantastic meal (all meat you can eat) and an amazing view. And it's cheaper than Marius...
    But, it's all up to you!

• schurlif's Profile Photo

MARIUS MEAT AND MARIUS SEAFOOD....: HEAVENS GATES.........

by schurlif Updated Apr 4, 2011

Gates because I'm talking about TWO restaurants here , one next to the other , one is Marius Churrascaria and the other is Marius Frutos do Mar (= seafood) situated on Ave. Atlantica on the Leme side , that means , if you look at the ocean from Ave. Atlantica the restaurants are on the far left side of the avenue.
    Not at all cheap , maybe not even by international standards because the U$ has reached a very long time low in the past weeks ( March 2006 ), these two restaurants should be on your priority list of where to eat in Rio...... maybe you should even leave these two places for the last two dinners because after eating there nothing else might taste like something ....
    And listen to who's talking , I know the culinary temples of São Paulo and Rio..... Rio actually cannot compete with São Paulo when it comes to restaurants, but Marius 1 and Marius 2 make up for all the other lack, these are classy and posh places apt to satisfy the most demanding palates....

Favorite Dish: In Marius Churrascaria I especially love their tender Picanha meat which is so succulent that you might get hooked on it...... But with about 30 types of salads and 25 cuts of meat , sausages , fowl and exotic plates ( like jacaré = alligator , pheasant, deboned quails, wild South American type boar, rabbit and much more) it gets extremely difficult to chose a favorite dish because everything is just so good.....
    In Marius Frutos do Mar I went especially "nuts" over the whole barbecued octopus tentacles. Shrimps in all sizes and prepared ways , all kinds of mussles , oysters, fish ( raw sashimi or grilled, cooked, fried , baked...) . Too many items to count them all. If it's from the ocean and is edible , you'll find it here. I would say Marius Frutos do Mar is the BEST sea food place I have ever eaten at...... and as I love seafood , you can maybe imagine that I have eaten at many seafood restaurants before ...

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Marius: Eat until you explode

by Dabs Updated Apr 4, 2011

I'd be tempted to put Marius into the tourist trap section if only the food weren't so good! The meal ended up being quite a bit more pricey than our guide book suggested, by the time you added up the main all you can eat meat part , the salad bar, the caipirahanas that appeared to be included and bottled water we ended up dropping over 125 reals per person ($62US). A tad more than the $18 quoted in Lonely Planet....

Favorite Dish: This was the best meal we had on our 10 day trip, the salad bar was more like a seafood bar with shrimp, oysters, squid and about 100 other items to choose from but go sparingly here because the meat is the star at this restaurant. Skewer after skewer appeared at our table, chunks of filet mignon, followed by sirloin followed by tbone. Not to mention the sausage, the wild boar, the frog legs, lamb, you name it, they served it!

Just when you think you can't possibly eat anymore, you'll check out the dessert buffet and decide there's just a little more room in that stomach, the white/milk chocolate mousse was out of this world. And I think I tried a few others too but by that time I was in a food coma!!!!

• robine's Profile Photo

Marius Crustaceos: A memorable once-in-a-while splurge

by robine Updated Apr 4, 2011

A very special all-you-can-eat place, where the quality and variety of the seafood is exceptional, but where prices are now extremely high by local standards, and not cheap even by London ones. Buffet, plus freshly-grilled fish, prawns, lobster are brought to your table. Well air-conditioned, very agreeable ambience.

Favorite Dish: Oysters, sea urchins, namorado (type of fish) and lobster.

Instant Answers: Rio de Janeiro

Comments

Hotels Near Marius
3.0 out of 5 stars