Rio de Janeiro Sports & Outdoors

The logos of the 4 big Rio teams.
    by cachaseiro
    Fans of Fluminense
    by DSwede
  • Early morning Rio before the favella kids arrive
    Early morning Rio before the favella...
    by JohnniOmani

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Rio de Janeiro

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Hang Gliding in Sao Conrado

by deeper_blue Written Apr 14, 2013

Tandem hang gliding is possible in Rio. Over Sao Conrado bay the descent lasts about 15 minutes with a spectacular vista. The instructor will take care of all the controls, leaving you to enjoy the wonderful sights of Rio. The prices vary depending on who you book with but expect to pay around $120 plus a fee for pictures.

Equipment: Your bottle

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

The 4 big football teams in rio de Janeiro.

by cachaseiro Written Feb 10, 2013
    The logos of the 4 big Rio teams.

Rio de Janeiro has many football teams but there are 4 teams that are the big ones in the city.

Flamengo:
    This is the team with the most fans in Rio and in all Brazil fpr that matter.
    They have the well known shirt with red and black stripes.
    The team has very strong support among the poor people in the favelas and it's the big classic working class team of Brazil.
    Their fans are known for being both very lively and at times a little rough.
    I have seen the team several times though and it's not like they are organised hoolignas.
    More a bit of unorganised havoc at times.

Fluminense:
    Fluminense was founded dy brits and is considerd the upperclass team of Rio.
    These days it's not really that upperclass anymore but more of a regular team but supporters of the other rio teams will always tease the fluminense fans with the upperclass past and the fact that the club in the very early days had racist undertones.
    They have in the past 3-4 year sbeen very succesful with two brazilian championships and they are really on a roll at the time writing (february 2013).

Vasco da Gama:
    Vasco da Gama is mainly known for being the club in Rio that breeds the most talents.
    Romario and Ronaldo came from Vasco for instance before moving to Europe.
    They have the Caravel of Vasco da Gama as their logo.

Botafogo:
    Botafogo is the considerd a fairly small compared to the other 3 Rio clubs but is legendary as it was the club who in the 1960's had the most players on the brazilian national team when Brazil were the best team in the world.
    Especially Garrincha was very popular and extremely good.
    Despite being born as a cripple and from a very troubled social background he became the best wing player in the world.
    The team is quite popular among intellectuals, probaply cause it's a little smaller than the other Rio teams and has an interesting history.
    It's located in the part of Rio with the same name in between the city center of Rio and Copacabana.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Football at Estadio Olimpico

by DSwede Updated Mar 1, 2012

Fans of Fluminense

I've watched many a football (soccer) game along with the locals at their watering holes. I've even attended a playoff match at Olympic Stadium to sit with my fanatical Fluminense friends. There was more action in the stands than on the field... The banners, flags, drums, etc. can be intense!

There are a few stadiums around Rio de Janeiro. Fluminense for example calls Maracana its home. Botofogo calls Estadio Olimpico its home. But many games of 'Flu', Botafogo, Flamengo, Fluminense and Vasco da Gama, etc. are sometimes played in other stadiums.

The stadium is massive, with an undulating overhead shelter. But even in the middle of the night, it can be hot and humid depending on the season.

The upper sections (cheaper seats) will usually have the more vocal and lively cheering sections. There are no assigned seats, so people tend to move about. The lower sections (more expensive) are a bit more calm and quiet, but only just.

Tickets can obviously be purchased in advance, but scalpers also sell them on the streets if the ticket booths are sold out. Quite often times the stadium may only be partially full even when the tickets are "sold out" since the scalpers are trying to capitalize on their business. Buying from them can be challenge, either rewarding or frustrating depending on your luck.

Equipment: Bring only enough cash that you may need for food, drinks and tickets. Try to leave all else at home in case something happens.

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

An Adventure of a Lifetime!

by HispanicYob Updated Apr 4, 2011

Soaring above the skies of Rio

I never thought I'd ever try hang gliding. But once I seen vids of this being done in Rio, I said "I'm going to do that!" True to my word, towards the last half of my stay in Rio I did! It starts off with transportation from your place of stay to the summit at Pedra Bonita rock near Pepino Beach in Sao Conrado. From Pedra Bonita it's an approximate 15-minute glide down to your landing spot on Pepino Beach. If you're lucky your guide my do a "trick" when you're gliding (going up and down with the wind). This is amazing and I'm so glad I can say I did it. Your guides speak English so no need to worry. The total price is R$305. This is NOT INCLUDING the optional photos/DVD. The photos are R$60 and the DVD is also R$60 seperately. Make sure you have the cash for this if you plan on doing it. Apparently according to the flyer I looked at, all ages are welcome. There's also no experience needed. Take it from me, and givei it a go! You won't regret it!

Equipment: All your equipments is provided to you once you reach the hang gliding platform. So don't worry about having to buy any extra stuff for yourself. Your guides will provide you with everything.

• Singles

tandem flight

Rio has one of the
    most magnificent views
    you'll ever see

If you don't see it from the
    peaceful and smooth flight
    of a hang glider you'll
    get only half the picture

Go on a Tandem Flight with
    an experienced instructor
    and enjoy the beauty of Rio
    in a way you'll never forget

• Hang Gliding

• Groentje's Profile Photo

Take a Hike!

by Groentje Updated Apr 4, 2011

Me and a waterfall...

Rio is so wonderful! Where else can you go to a real rain forest right smack next to the city? I have no idea...
    Anyway, here it is possible. Just go to the Tijuca Rain forest. I did it, and made it alive! Many trails through the national park (of course it's not a wild rain forest), through lush trees (very humid), cross waterfalls, to mountain peeks. Really, this was one of my best journeys in Rio!
    The park is divided into two, and there is no way to do them both in one or even two days. Take two parts of a park, divide them in two 5 subsectors, select 3 walks per sector, with several hikes inside the park taking more than one day and you know what I am talking about (there are 6 "Trilhas" and one "Caminho"). Two ways you can choose to do this park: either by following the "macadam" road, or by going via the (well-marked) side trails. There are arrows everywhere, but please do follow them! It wouldn't be the first time that someone goes missing (people: this is one huge forest!!). I actually felt like I was missing at one point (took a wrong turn)... and believe me, you don't want that to happen; got the worst mosquito bites of my whole trip! At least, I hope they were mosquito bites...

Equipment: 1. macadam roads
    Good walking shoes
    2. Trails
    Maybe hiking shoes would be better.
    3. Guides
    might be a good idea as well...

• acemj's Profile Photo

Hang Gliding over Rio

by acemj Updated Apr 4, 2011

One of the highlights of my trip to Brazil was hang gliding over Rio. I met a couple Canadians in my hotel who were planning this hang gliding adventure and asked me if I wanted to join in. Since I had seen the episode of The Amazing Race where they jumped off this mountain, I had wanted to do it, so I told my Canadian friends that I'd love to join them. I called Ricardo, the instructor, on his cell phone and made the arrangements. His company is called Delta Flight and Ricardo Hamond has been flying since 1987. He is certified by the Brazilian Hang Gliding Association and is a great pilot. However, if you ask him how long he's been doing this, he'll probably tell you that you're his first student (he's a funny guy). His English is great, so don't worry about calling him.

Since the weather was bad, we had to wait on top of Pedro Bonita Mountain in Sao Conrado for a couple hours before we could jump. I let the Canadians go first to make sure they would get their flight in since they had an evening plane to catch. This was a good idea, because by the time I was able to go, I was the last one of the day and Ricardo wasn't in a hurry to get another jump in (and collect the fee) so we ended up flying for about 25 mintues. It's an amazing experience and certainly the closest thing I've ever done to flying like a bird.

*** A SAD INCIDENT: In mid-November, 2003 (only a couple weeks after I was here) there was a fatal accident involving a tourist (a doctor from Manaus) and an instructor. Sadly, they both lost their lives in this accident and all tandem jumps were temporarily suspended in Rio pending the investigation of this tragic accident. They are back and jumping today, but keep in mind that life has no guarantees.

• How to get soccer tickets

by rodrigocms Updated Oct 25, 2010

If you are comming to Brazil, the country five times world cup champions... you must go watch a game at the stadium.

Learn how at http://studionalapa.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-do-i-get-ticket-to-football-game.html

• Beer Tasting
    • Disabilities

Botafogo.

by cachaseiro Written Aug 9, 2010

Botafogo graffiti in Rio.

Botafogo is one of the 4 big football clubs in Rio.
    It comes from the suburb of the same name and was originally started as a rowing club, but it was soon football that took over.
    these days it´s the little brother compared to the other Rio clubs and the fans are often people who like to distinguish themselves as being a little different, so they have many artists and intellectuals among their fans.
    The biggest player Botafogo ever produced was ironicaly Garrincha who mabye had the biggest talent and the smallest brain ever in football.
    he never played for any other club and is today an absolute legend because of his talent and because of his amazing story of the cripple who became the best football player in the world.

Exercise by the beach.

by cachaseiro Written Aug 9, 2010

Cycling and running on the beach.

All the beaches in Rio has running and cycling tracks along them and you should join the cariocas and get your self some exercise while seeing some of the most scenic parts of Rio.
    This is really a way to stay fit while living like a local.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Cycling

• skullcrusher's Profile Photo

Pumping up in the Zona Sul

by skullcrusher Updated May 28, 2010

Rio is a "body beautiful" city, so it's easy to find a gym (in Brazil they are called Academias) to work out in. Most have reasonable daily/weekly rates. If you don't want to pay to exercise then you can always get a good workout at one of the various exercise stations along the beaches and near Pedra do Arpoador there is a small stretch of sand called Praia do Diabo (Devil Beach) where they have an open air gym with cement weights. The views are nice there, you can get in a pretty good workout, it's reasonably safe (a police lookout point is close-by), and best of all it's free (there is a sign in English which asks for donations to help with maintenance & improvements).

I have worked out at more gyms in Rio than I can remember, but my favorite is a gym called Neves Academia which is on N.S. Copacabana just north of Rua Dias de Rocha. It isn´t a fancy gym and it has a lot of rusty weights and old equipment, but it is popular with serious weightlifters and muscleheads. My kind of people.

Another good gym that actually has dumb-bells that go as high as 100lbs (45.5kgs) is a gym called Equip 1 Fitness Center. It's also located on N.S. Copacabana, just north of Rua Santa Clara. This academia is spread across 3 floors, yet despite this fact it can hardly be described as spacious. None-the-less, with rates of R$105/125/ or 145 for a week/15 days/ or 1 month I'd say it's a pretty good deal for a respectable facility. The rates are a bit higher if you also want to take part in their spinning or aerobics classes. Some of the staff members speak English.

A popular gym that is frequented by the well-to-do is called BodyTech. It has two locations I know of: one on N.S. Copacabana directly across from the side street of Rua Dias de Rocha (about 100 meters south of Neves Gym on the other side of the street) and there´s another one in Ipanema on Rua Gomes Carneiro; close to Rua Canning. The daily and monthly rates are steep, but they do have good facilities and a fetching staff of garotas.

In Ipanema there is a gym called Ipanema Sport Club that is open 24 hours a day with good equipment PLUS they have daily, weekly, and rates for two weeks that are quite reasonable. A pretty good option if you happen to stay in this part of Rio. It´s on Rua Visconde de Pirajá; less than a block west of Praça General Osório.

- Skull

• Beaches

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Beach Soccer

by ValbyDK Updated May 3, 2010
    Beach Soccer

‘Futebol’ – as the locals call it – is the national sport in Brazil. Actually it is much more than a sport; it is a passion and art and is in the minds and hearts of many Brazilians - if not all Brazilians…

At the beaches in Rio there was always a beach soccer match going on. Either matches in the official beach soccer tournament or just small teams of friends playing for fun. We watched a couple of matches, and were very impressed. The players were very skilful, and did tricks I have never seen before… It was nice to sit by the beach, watch a soccer match, and maybe talk a little football with the other spectators…

• ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Estádio do Maracanã

by ValbyDK Updated May 3, 2010
    Maracan��

We didn’t plan our trip to Rio very well! It was out of the football season, but still an experience to visit the Maracanã stadium. Especially for football freaks like us! We went through the museum with photos, posters, and footprints of Pele and many other famous players. We also visited the dressing rooms, visited the small indoor practice field, had a walk down the players tunnel, sat at the VIP seats, and much more… Goallllllllllllllllllllllllll…

Maracanã is a temple of football and has a great history. The Stadium was opened in 1950 to host the FIFA World Cup and the final match between Brazil and Uruguay was attended by nearly 200000 spectators! Today, the capacity is 95000, and is mainly used for football matches between the major clubs in Rio de Janeiro (Flamengo, Fluminense, Botafogo, and Vasco da Gama).

A renovation of the stadium is planned, and it is expected that Maracanã will host the World Cup Final in 2014.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Football Madness

by JohnniOmani Written Dec 12, 2009

Early morning Rio before the favella kids arrive

Brazilans are crazy about the sport and it is absolutely amazing to watch the young athletes play foot volleyball on the beaches in Ipanema. They are incredibly talented and their skills are so much fun to watch. If you are into fitness and sports and are on holiday in Brazil, join in ! That is what I did and I had a blast. I couldnt keep up with the guys but boy was it a workout. Their skills are worldclass and the kids from the favellas playing football on the beach would probably outplay any high school student from Canada. Great fun.

• Marlin Yacht Charter

by julian_guillot Written Mar 10, 2009

I’m a great admirer and enthusiast of yachting. However I never had the time or money to fully dedicate myself to the sport. I’m one of those guys that has bought all the gear but never went out on a trip. My last stay in Rio helped me develop some skills. I’ve always wanted to dive deep into navigation learning and while on vacations last summer I had the opportunity to take 5 days off to fully dedicate myself. I contacted Marlin Yacht Charters and made reservations for a 5 full day cruise on their ’36 boat. The crew ministered lessons on boat navigation and I have just one word to describe it: perfect! Other than learning I had a great time meeting new people and cruising through the Brazilian shores. The things I saw and experienced are cherished memories I’ll carry with me for a long time.

Equipment: Real Marine
    Infante D. Henrique, s/nº - loja 12 - Aterro do Flamengo - Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Cep.20021-140
    ph: +55 21 3235-6222

• Eco-Tourism
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Singles

Instant Answers: Rio de Janeiro

Comments

Rio de Janeiro Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Rio de Janeiro sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rio de Janeiro sightseeing.

View all Rio de Janeiro hotels