Botanical Garden, Rio de Janeiro

4.5 out of 5 stars 40 Reviews

• solopes's Profile Photo

Green on green with flowers

by solopes Updated Apr 26, 2014

Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Does it make sense, a tropical garden in a tropical town?

Of course it does.

Profiting the natural easy to grow and maintain decorative plants (from Brazil and elsewhere) in that weather, the Botanic garden is well conceived, and shows an extremely richness of well developed plants.

Almost with 200 years of existence, it is considered one of top 10 in the world, and is suitable for all kind of visits, since a couple of relaxing hours, for a common adult, to a long studying staying for botanical students. And a chosen place for a children's loved and safe afternoon.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• rebecca2u's Profile Photo

Cascading down a waterfall

by rebecca2u Updated Apr 4, 2011

I still can't believe I did it! Up to a couple of years ago I would suffer panic attacks whenever I tried to go into the sea or a pool or lake etc. It's something I have concured but still feel the bubbling of panic (and probably always will) when I swim or snorkel. Cascading down a waterfall was a really terrifying but thrilling idea.

The crew that we hired were absolutely fantastic (Crux Ecoadventure). The guide Marcelo (who owns the company) picked us up from the hotel and drove us to the beginning of the trek where we met up with another guide and another couple (who were actually locals wanting to experience a waterfall cascade). The climb up to the waterfall wasn't difficult, although it might look challenging. The guides showed us how to warm up with stretching exercises first anyway. The waterfall was 10m high and when we all saw it I could hear many silent intakes of breath and gulps!! ;-) However, thankfully the guides were so on the ball with setting up the equipment and explaining everything as they were going along, none of us backed out or felt unsafe. I decided to go first since I figured if I was going to do it then I better get it over and done with. I must admit that I was absolutely terrified when I started and went over the edge and looked down. However, thanks to the guys shouting instructions and encouragment I got down fine. I just screamed like crazy!! :-) Everybody was the same, we all swallowed our fear and ate up the adrenaline that was pumping through us. I think I must have finally got over my fear as I went back and did it a second time....this time without bursting anybody's eardrums!!

I would highly recommend this to anybody. Even if you are like me and don't like water or think it's too terrifying - you can do it. However, I would highly recommend using Crux adventure as I felt completely safe with them and they were good guys, interesting to chat with and more importantly...very patience!! ;-)

• Water Sports
    • Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Botanical Garden

by easterntrekker Written Oct 25, 2010

This morninf we headed to the Botanical Garden . Being an avid gardener , this was something I was really looking forward to.

The one mile walk described by our hotel was in reality closer to 3 miles but none of the les we chalked it up to much needed excercise ,paid our 5Real at th gate and started our self guided tour.

Its a huge very mature garden . Its a shame there are no maps provided as I'm sure we missed lots.

My favorite section is the Palm Groves. Here there are hundreds of different mature specimens. We walked the elegant palm lined center lane and marveled at the wonderful mature trees.

There are huge shady areas with towering bamboos. We looked for monkeys , swinging overhead...but didn't spot any. Most of the garden was not in bloom as this is early spring in Rio. It didn't matter to me as I was content amid the huge plantings with thir lush tropical foilage.

We spent about an hour and a half here before taking our long trek back to our hotel . By now its noon and much hoter. Our plans are to spend our last afternoon vegging out at the beach!

• Seniors
    • Photography

• marcbrazil's Profile Photo

THE BOTANIC GARDEN!??? YES YOU SHOULD GO!!!

by marcbrazil Written Oct 21, 2007

Beautiful Aleas and unique plants

One of the most pleasant place in the city, no doubt!!!
    Close to the beach area where you will probably be hosted, and it can be an option if you do not have anything to do in one afternoon...

It is one of the most complete BOTANIC GARDEN in the World and it was founded by the portuguese King Dom João the 6th in 1808!!! since that time it was a very important centre of flora studies and it is part of a huge urban florest called Tijuca!

Actually it is one of my fave spots in the city!

Every visitor should go there!

OCTOBER 2007

• K-nalla's Profile Photo

Verde q te quiero Verde

by K-nalla Written Jun 19, 2007

In the mist of a great city is hardly belivable that a botanical garden this big can be found. Trees from all over the world, as well as flowers and even some carnivorous plants make it a delectable afternoon. The monkeys and the birds are just the cream on the ice cream. Entrance is a mere R4 and if you are lucky (like me) maybe you can be witness of a "novela" filming...
    The bus that goes toward Hard Rock Cafe has a stop right at the entrance.

• Birdwatching

• rkearns's Profile Photo

botanic garden

by rkearns Written May 30, 2007

statues near the entrance of the botanical garden

there are maps at the entrance but you could also just follow trails until you have seen it all. a leisurely stroll will take an hour or two, and you will see the most giant orchids ever! there is a manicured zen garden, trails beside lush walls of vegetation, and sometimes you will see couples taking wedding photos!

• racheljapi's Profile Photo

Botanical gardens

by racheljapi Written Aug 30, 2006

This is a wonderful place to take a cool walk in the shade. Give yourself some time to explore. Be warned that this isn't a place for flowers as much as rare plants from around the world.

" The Acclimatizing Garden was created in June 1808 by D.João, Regent Prince at the time, later D.João VI, in order to acclimatize the spices brought from the West Indies.

Threatened by Napoleon's military forces, the Portuguese Nobility moved to Brazil and established their Government headquarters in Rio de Janeiro. Among other benefits, the city got a gunpowder factory, built where the old Rodrigo de Freitas Sugar Mill used to be.

Delighted by its nature exuberance, D.João installed the Garden, which on October 11th became the Royal Horticulture. The first plants were brought from Gabrielle Garden in France by Luiz de Almeida Vieira e Silva as an offer to D.João VI. The Palma Mater was among them.

The Garden opened officially after 1822, and since then, has been visited by many distinguished personalities: Albert Einstein, the United Kingdom's Queen Elisabeth, the King and Queen of Sweden, and more recently, the Princess Sayako of Japan came especially for the opening of the Japanese Garden. "
    quoted from http://www.jbrj.gov.br/ingles/history/index.htm

It costs R$4 to get in.

• tere1's Profile Photo

Beautiful Gardens!

by tere1 Written Aug 27, 2006

The Botanical Gardens are a true ecological sanctuary and one of the ten most important in the world. Besides housing the rarest species of plants from the flora of Brazil and other countries, it is also an excellent leisure option for children and adults and a delight for those who wish to contemplate nature.

Among the approximately 8200 specimens of the gardens’ live collection, the highlights are the imperial palm trees and threatened species such as “pau-brasil”, “acará amarelo” and “pau mulato”, the medicinal plots and the Japanese gardens. The orchid house is a spectacle by itself !

The Botanical Gardens are open everyday from 8 am to 5 pm. If you are going to Rio you shouldn't give it a miss!

• Photography

• blaird's Profile Photo

Relaxation in the bustling city

by blaird Updated Jul 19, 2006

We went here the first time we visited Rio, it was a nice respite from the busy city. We spent probably 3 hours here, just wandering looking at plants I never saw and discussing the vast differences in the worlds flora and fauna. The thing i liked a lot was that my wife & I started talking about stuff we never had in the past, that is one of the best thing about traveling with loved ones, the new discussions that happen when experiencing new and different things together.

I recommend Jardim Botanico if you are looking for a few hours of relaxation away from the beaches or big tourist attractions.

Oh, one more thing, when our daughter gets better at walking, this will be a great place to visit to let her run around more freely without worries or cars around.

• Hiking and Walking

ONE COOL AFTERNOON IN RIO

by RafaelTheSecond Written May 31, 2006

Important people in the Gardens!;)

The picture is in black and white, but it shows how wonderful the place is, you can rest in the branches of Mango Trees, which is actually my favourite fruit, heheheh. so you can see my Mother Stella and Rodrigo, our dearest brazilian japonese friend!:)

In the weekends we always do something different!

There are many things to do in the area, you should also do the same when you come to Rio!;)

May 27th, 2006

THE TRAVELLERS TREES

The Arvore do Viajante by RTL

In the main lake of the Botanic Garden there is a gorgeous ammount of very exotic african palm trees coming from Madagascar Island, thanks to the effort of many landscapers and botanist from all over the world who did planted here species from their on expeditions.

The King Don João VI was a man of vision and he really wanted for the main kind a space where people could learn about their own nature and where they could preserve the rich enviroment of Brazil.

Actually the first seeds and plants were brought from Jardim La Pamplemousse, in Mauritius Island.

Many french botanists lived in Brazil invited by the king!;)

RELAXING ON THE GRASS

Living in Rio is WONDERFUL by RS

I really do not know why, but the park rangers do not like to see us setting on the grass, but I always find a way to be with my friends and families in some cool and fresh corner in this enormous area of the Botanic Garden.

And once you visit the Botanic Garden you will have this scenic greenery with plants not only from Brazil but from every where in the South Hemisphere!

Relaxing among some Madacasgar Palm Trees in Brazil is something unique! :)

THEY ARE KNOWN AS ARVORE DO VIAJANTE or The Travellers Tree! :)

NO DOUBT - THIS PLACE MUST BE VISITED

by RafaelTheSecond Written May 28, 2006

My mother and our good friend Rodrigo

In 1808, the portuguese Queen Maria, the First came with her two sons to this new land called Brazil escaping from Napoleon. Actually it was not a escape, it was a very nice estrategy, they simply moved the Kingdon. Napoleon could invade Portugal, but he never managed to get the kingdon, because it was transfered to Brazil. The Queen could not stay for long, because she's got extremely sick and she's gone crazy, thanks to her insanity, the crown was given to her son!

DON JOÃO, THE SIXTH!;))))))

And we created in June 13th, 1808, the Botanic Garden!;) it was used to replant species coming from other tropical places and also to preserve the very rich botanical resources of the Kingdon..Our rules at last, he such a big enviromental concern! :)

• realde14's Profile Photo

Jardim Botanico

by realde14 Updated Apr 17, 2006
    Botanical Garden

If you have some spare time in Rio, you should definitely visit the Botanical Garden with its giant royal palms, lakes with waterlillies (like the ones in the Amazon). It is a quiet and inspriing oasis

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Botanical Garden Part 2

by Willettsworld Written Oct 1, 2005

As you walk through the entrance, the first thing you'll see is this: the Avenue of the Royal Palms. This 720m (800 yard) double row of 134 soaring royal palms were planted in 1842 when the garden was first opened to the public.

Open daily from 8am-5pm. Admission R$4.

Instant Answers: Rio de Janeiro

Comments

Hotels Near Botanical Garden
3.0 out of 5 stars