Christ The Redeemer, Corcovado, Rio de Janeiro

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 157 Reviews

• Christ the Redeemer atop of The Corcovado
    Christ the Redeemer atop of The...
    by Paul2001
    The Corcovado
    by Paul2001
    The view from Corcovado.
    by cachaseiro
  • tim07's Profile Photo

Christ the Redeemer statue

by tim07 Updated Feb 28, 2010

Christ the Redeemer is one of the most famous symbols of Brazil. It's image & the statue itself could be seen throughout Rio. The statue stands on top of Corcovado mountain at a height of 710 metres above sea level. Opened in October 1931, the statue is 30 metres high standing on an 8 metre pedestal.

As Corcovado is situated in Tijuca National Park the ride up the mountain through the forest is pretty spectacular. Once at the top lifts & then escalators take the visitor to the base of the statue. From there you get a close up view of Christ the Redeemer plus panoramic views of Rio. Sadly it was cloudy on the day I visited.

• Christ tour or on your own

by saipele Written Jan 29, 2010

I debated which way to experience Christ. Grab a taxi and do it fast or do a tour. My decison was based on two taxi's that didn't want to take me up there. Not even waiting to here my proposal. So I settled for a tour that cost me 75 reais and 4 hrs. The tour included the stadium, the stairs, carnival area and the pyramid church. The highlight was Christ. It was worth it. Do it in the morning and you will still have lots of beach time. Draw backs if you do it on your own wether with taxi or your car. 1. Parking good luck. Taxi, find one that will take you. If you do I don;t think he will hang around for just you. 3. If you don;t speak portuguese another good luck. Tour is not without drawbacks. Ask your hotel or just ask around. You can get the tour price down from 100 reais to 75 reais. I did. If you do the bus then train thing thats going to cost you less but may cost you in time.

• National/State Park

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

How to go up Christ the Redeemer?

by jumpingnorman Written May 26, 2009

Okay, so you’re in Brazil and you want to go up and see the one of the New 7th Wonder of the World (as of 07/07/2007) – where do you go? There’s probably a way to hike up to it, but for me I just took the easy way – the TRAIN! I think I just paid about 30 Reals for that 10-20 minute train ride --- you pass through this thick hill forest (Tijuca National Park)and before you know it, your climbing up the steps leading to this 98 foot (30-meter) amazing statue.

It’s awesome and it gave me chills whenever I visited or saw this statue even from afar. It’s a great symbol for the city – and I read somewhere that like the Statue of Liberty, this was a gift from France as well? It was developed by Heitor da Silva Costa and completed in 1931. The train you ride was actually already there even before the statue and it was used to bring the materials needed for building it. I have read they also have a chapel at the base of the statue that can hold 150 people but I never got to going into it.

The mountain on which it stands is called Corcovado Mountain (Hunchback) and from this 2230 feet mountaintop, you can see great views. If the statue is behind you, at your left side you would see the soccer temple Maracana, straight ahead would be Niteroi with the snaky bridge and Sugar Loaf Mountain, and on your right side would be the beaches of Copacabana and Ipanema way out there (as well as the Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas).

At the times I’ve visited, the train was in service from 830 AM to 630PM – but times may change. And as in one my “Warnings”, my very first visit was a disappointment because the Hunchback Mountain was fully covered by clouds. We were hoping the statue would be clearer up there – but there was nothing to see! I had to go back the next day and was not disappointed. Truly a must-see!

• MM212's Profile Photo

Cristo Redentor

by MM212 Updated Jan 27, 2009

Cristo Redentor

Cristo Redentor - Christ the Redeemer - is Rio de Janeiro's ultimate symbol and protector of the city. The giant 30-metre Art Déco statue was erected in 1931 to commemorate Brazil's 100 years since independence. It was designed by the Brazilians Heitor da Silva Costa and Carlos Oswaldo and was partially sculpted in France by the Frenchman Paul Landowski before completion in Brazil. The site chosen to place the statue, the spectacular Morro do Corcovado, the highest mountain in vicinity of Rio, rises 706 metres above sea level and ensures that the statue is visible from most of the city, when not shrouded in clouds. Visits to the statue are permitted for incredible panoramic views over Rio. During my trip in Dec 2008, I did not go up Corcovado to see the statue, but instead took a helicopter ride from Pão de Açucar (Sugarloaf) which allowed me to take some of the attached photos.

• Architecture

• anacapa's Profile Photo

Amazing Views if no Fog

by anacapa Updated Dec 22, 2008

Corcovado

If you're in Rio you must go. No questions. You have to take a trip up to Corcovado.

It's more difficult to get here than it is to get to Sugar Loaf, or at least it was for me. I took a taxi. It was the end of the day and though I asked the taxi to wait and that I'd pay him, he wasn't there when I came back down. I was stuck in the middle of the forest/mountain between the station and the rest of the city. It was evening and getting dark. Luckily the staff there is probably used to the problem and a guy offered to taxi me back to my hostel. It cost the same as the taxi ride up, so it wasn't a rip off. It was nice that the staff wanted to make sure everyone got off the mountain OK. Yay!

This was my only time in Rio where I felt a little stuck. It's best to research all options before going up the mountain. I waited till the end of the day, hoping the fog would clear. It did somewhat.

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Corcovado, the hunchback

by kaloz Written Nov 11, 2008

The best way to get that photo

When one thinks of Rio de Janeiro, one thinks of Cristo Redentor located on Corcovado. You can get your picture made imitating the statue, if you find a quiet in the crowds. It is also an excelent place to view the area of Rio de Janeiro.

There is a cam railway up to a staging area, above which are many stairs. This expedition can be taxing so be prepared. There are elevators and escalators to assist you much of the way, but there is always that last set of stairs up.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Trains
    • Religious Travel

• lalikes's Profile Photo

Once you get there.. Christ the Reemer

by lalikes Written Oct 8, 2008

First view from climbing the stairs

You can take a quick elevator ride up from the main entrance if you have bad knees/legs..etc. We walked the steps. We thought it would be chillier up there but it was actually quite warm for November... considering it had been the coldest most rainy November in years in 2007.

Standing 120 feet tall (38 meters) this monument is a must see.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• Tour in Rio

by lmsuntan Written May 13, 2008

Hey I´ve been living in Rio for 3 months now and I did all the tourist stuff when I first got here so I can recommend the places I used and offer some tips...Christ is obviously the most famous sight here and it´s best that you do this at the first sight of a sunny day because the weather changes quickly and you don´t want to miss it cuz you decided to lay on the beach instead, you can do that anywhere...The best tour company I´ve used here was Brazil Expedition and they offer a full day tour starting with a short hike to Pedra Bonita where you can see the best view of the beaches in Rio and then you drive through Tijuca National Forest to the top to see Christ. They banned taxis from taking people up there recently, but the train ride to the top takes forever and isn´t very exciting so I recommend doing a tour...After the statue they drive you through the old neighborhood of Santa Tereza and then you go to these secret steps in Lapa where Snoop Dogg shot his video for `Beautiful`. Its a really fun and unique tour and the guides speak perfect english so you´ll also learn some history and interesting facts...At the end they can drop you off at Sugarloaf in time for the sunset and its a great way to end the day...They also offer tours to a football game at Maracana stadium, which I also recommend because its a mad house and a lot more complicated to do on your own, among many other cool things in the city for the best prices. Check out their website to see all they have to offer and definitely use them while you´re here! www.brazilexpedition.com Have fun and be safe!!! Tchau!!!

• Hiking and Walking

• gonzo747's Profile Photo

A new world wonder

by gonzo747 Written Mar 25, 2008
    Cristo Retendor

The christ is visible from many places in Rio on a clear day. The best time to visit is on a clear day as well because then it seems you can have a great view of Rio. I had some bad luck because when I was in Rio it was quite cloudy. I still got to see the statue up close though.
    I took the train up the hill (Trem do corcovado). It costs 36 real for a retour ticket.

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

On a clear day at Corcovado.....

by HispanicYob Written Feb 10, 2008
    View from Corcovado on a clear day

.....be prepared. Why you ask? Because if it's a clear day in Rio...chances are if you decide to go to Corcovado you'll be bombarded butt-to-gut with tourists galore! All wanting their pictures with Christ and the views of Rio. If you'd rather avoid all that, try going on a cloudy day. You WILL NOT get good views of Rio of course on a cloudy day but chances are there won't be that many people so it's easier to have your photo taken without requests from other tourists to snap them or them bumping into you.

• Singles

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Cristo Redentor-Our Savior at Corcovado Hill

by HispanicYob Written Feb 10, 2008
    Me with arms spread out like Christ

Of course, you haven't been to Rio until you visit Jesus Christ up on Corcovado Hill. The statue that is. He welcomes you to Rio with open arms. I got the opportunity to visit not just once, but TWICE :). Once during my beginning of my trip and the last time was during my last day in Rio de Janeiro. I loved it more the first time since it was all new to me! If you can, go on a good day where you can see magnificent views of the Cidade Maravilhosa, the Marvelous City. The cost to get in is R$36.00. There's a little train that takes you to the statue itself. Although from what I saw from my surroundings you could hike there. However, the train is rather stuffy and hot so if you don't like that, you'll have to consider another option somehow.

• Singles
    • Architecture

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Christ the Redeemer

by toonsarah Updated Jan 27, 2008

Christ the Redeemer

There are a number of cities around the world that are defined in people's imagination by a single feature or monument - the Statue of Liberty in New York, the Opera House in Sydney, the Eiffel Tower in Paris. And of course Corcovado, the Christ the Redeemer, in Rio de Janeiro. So when you visit these places there's a danger of disappointment, because you think you already know them.

In the case of Corcovado that's partly true, as it really does look exactly like all the photos. But the photos can't give you a true sense of the size of the statue - only by standing below it and getting a crick in your neck can you appreciate this, and perhaps feel a liitle over-awed by religious devotion on such a grand scale, regardless of your own beliefs. And only by travelling up there can you appreciate the city of Rio laid out below you (although I found the view from the Sugarloaf even better).

So I would definitely recommend that you go, despite the familiarity. Take the train from Cosme Velho Station that climbs up the steep forested hillside and suddenly emerges just below and behind the statue. And, ideally, choose a bright day so you can appreciate the views too; although there was also something a bit magical about visiting it in mist as we did and seeing the statue gradually come into view above us.

• Trains

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

by Elainehead Updated Dec 10, 2007

Corcovado

This is the most well-known postcard of Rio.

Climbing options: train (Trem do Corcovado, R$ 30); taxi (too expensive); tourism vans; illegal vans (too expensive and remember: they are illegal!!!) or elevators/escalators (Important note: 2 km walk from the entrance until the elevators/escalators).

Tip: 20% discount on the ticket, if you show your Hostelling International card (Limited to five people per family). All year-round from midday to 6 PM.

• marcbrazil's Profile Photo

AS YOU HAVE TO GO, LEARN HOW YOU GO

by marcbrazil Written Nov 7, 2007

Getting off the MINIBUS to Corcovado

There are 3 ways to go to the Christ which in Rio it is more known as CRISTO REDENTOR.

First one: There is a trains tation in Cosme Velho, very traditional district of Rio next to Laranjeiras...the only access to the neighborhood is at the Bay Area, through Laranjeiras Street which starts in Largo do Machado.

The train leaves every 30 minutes, one train to go and another train to return, the trip takes around 25 minutes, and the ticket costs 36 reais, the way is full of green but do not offer interesting landscapes unless if you are a botanic freak.

Second one: You can go to the entrance of the National Park going to the PAINEIRAS' door, taking the Cosme Velho's street and finally reach the National park, but pay attention, it is not good if you go by yourselves...try to go there by car, ask someone you know who must be keen on Rio, and there is no bus to go there, you can also take a taxi but be very good to negociate the rate! Luckly I have some friends and everytime I go there I go with people who really knows where to go.

THE ENTRANCE OF THE PARK IF OPEN AND YOU PAY A FEE OF 5 REAIS...but it is a long walk until reaching the top...but if you have time it is a great oportunity to see some parts of the forests and take great pictures

Third one: THIS IS THE SAFEST AND EASIEST OPTION...Go to Paineras, and you will find a line of mini buses that takes you to the top for 10 reais, this is how most of the people do, so I think it is the best because you see much more landscapes and you can enjoy the park properly.

Today I went there with our cousin Gabriela, she is also a cool friend of mine; Rafael's mother and Rafa too, we had a perfect night as every time is pleasant when you go to Corcovado!

NOVEMBER 2007

• marcbrazil's Profile Photo

NO WAY OUT!!! YOU HAVE TO GO!!!

by marcbrazil Written Nov 7, 2007

The Christ is a must go place in Rio

It is obvious when you come to Rio de Janeiro you will have to visit this place, indeed it is not only a place, it is a sanctuary...one of the temples of Rio's beauty and it is the way that you can see the entire city, and discover that RIO IS ONE OF THE MARVELOUS CITIES IN THIS PLANET!

I came here 3 times as a visitor, and now I am living in Copacabana with my best friend Rafael and all his family!

Some of the rules changed there, it is not possible to go the Christ by car...I write more about it, but meanwhile,,,everytime you plan a trip to Rio, just add CRISTO REDENTOR in your list, it is one of the seventh world's wonders!

NOVEMBER 2007

Instant Answers: Rio de Janeiro

Comments

Hotels Near Christ The Redeemer, Corcovado
3.5 out of 5 stars