Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Ipanema Beach

by HispanicYob Written Feb 10, 2008

A glorious picture I took at Ipanema Beach

I'm sure if you've read the Rio guides here on VT, everyone makes a comment on both Ipanema and Copacabana beaches so I'll spare the history and what not. Ipanema beach, im my opinion, is MUCH better then Copa in a lot of ways. For one, it's cleaner and chances are you'll find more locals on this beach then at Copa. The surf is quite exceptional here so bring a boogey-board if you have one! Be careful though the waves can knock you over. I know they did to me. Pack some SPF 70 sunscreen on those hot days.

• Surfing
    • Singles

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

The girl from Ipanema

by toonsarah Updated Jan 27, 2008

A Garota de Ipanema

We all know the song of course, and you're sure to hear it wherever you travel in Brazil, so why not take the time to see where it all started? You can visit this cafe in Ipanema where the song was written. The story is that the writers, Vinicius de Moraes and Tom Jobim, used to meet each other here every day, and would always see the same beautiful girl walk past on her way to the beach. Eventually they were inspired by her to write that song.

Now you can sit in the same cafe too, which has been renamed "A Garota de Ipanema", and even if you're not that interested in the story of the song, it's a good place to come and hang out and enjoy a coffee. And if you are interested, you can read the story on the walls!

Tall and tan and young and lovely
    The girl from Ipanema goes walking
    And when she passes, each one she passes goes - ah

When she walks, she's like a samba
    That swings so cool and sways so gentle
    That when she passes, each one she passes goes - ooh

Ooh, but I watch her so sadly
    How can I tell her I love her?
    Yes, I would give my heart gladly
    But each day, when she walks to the sea,
    She looks straight ahead, not at me

Tall and tan and young and lovely
    The girl from Ipanema goes walking
    And when she passes, I smile –
    but she doesn't see
    She just doesn't see, she never sees me...

GIANT SHOWER - IPANEMA

by marcbrazil Updated Oct 22, 2007

This is me in the huge foams!

Just pay attention in the swimming condition of the sea, most of teh time Ipanema is a paradise for surfers and some brave fellows like me who really know how to face a rough sea...The ocean is Ipanema can be quite unfriendly, but it is always a pleasure to feel yourself in a FRUIT MIXER once in a while! hahahahaha :)

SEPTEMBER 2007

ONCE IN RIO - GO TO IPANEMA

by marcbrazil Updated Oct 22, 2007

Go to Ipanema!!! YOU MUST TO!!!!

Rio is a beach destination, this is for sure!!! So bear in mind that at least one or two days you have the spend the whole day in the beach exactly like our people love doing!!!

Remember I told you...IN BRAZIL DO LIKE THE BRAZILIANS....So almost everyday, all we like to do is baking ourselves on the sand, enjoying the see and watching beautiful people!!!

IPANEMA IS WAY LESS TOURISTY THAN RIO, Ipanema is our house, very very residential and less hotels on the Coast.

This is the beach where you will see TONS OF GIRLS FROM IPANEMA..and for the women...they will see the MUSCLY BOYS FROM IPANEMA!!!

Very colourful place...Ipanema is more than a district, IPANEMA IS A LIFE STYLE!

OCTOBER 2007

MY BACKYARD IS IPANEMA

by marcbrazil Written Oct 22, 2007

LONG LIFE TO RIO!!!I love Ipanema!

I live very close to Ipanema, from our house it takes about 15 minutes walijng distance, so when I have time I always go to the beach with Rafael, my great friend who lives with me and his family. the water is quite cold, but it does not reach a "canadian level", so you can handle!

The water is clean and in a very hot day you can relief in these delicious water!

So everytime you can just GO TO THE BEACH and chill out!

Many thanks to my personal photographer Rafa!!!

SEPTEMBER 2007

• Doempie's Profile Photo

Hippie Fair: Feira de Artezanato de Ipanema

by Doempie Updated Apr 21, 2007

Art at the Hippie Fair

This is an outdoor market in Ipanema that is open every Sunday from 9 - 6. They sell everything from paintings and sculptures to clothes and leather goods. I bought a really big and beautiful green leather handbag for 150 R$, they range anything between 90 and 200 R$. I found that the items at the market was much less expensive than in the surrounding Ipanema shops!

There is also great light snacks and it is a great place to just walk around and check out the local art before heading down to the beach!

• tere1's Profile Photo

Lively place!

by tere1 Written Aug 27, 2006

Ipanema

Ipanema is situated between the Copacabana and Leblon areas and for me it's one of the best areas in town.

This sophisticated district offers a lively night life scene with an enticing blend of beach, bars and boutiques. A major attraction throughout the day, its sands also welcome countless after-dark visitors, including joggers and other athletes who cluster at its kiosks, pedal along the bicycle path and make good use of special lighting to exercise and relax.

Some of the best shops and restaurants are situated in the Ipanema area.

• Photography

• Lady_Disdain's Profile Photo

Do as the locals do

by Lady_Disdain Written Jun 7, 2006

Check out Letras e Expressões - a former newstand that has grown into a bookshop, music store and cafe all in one.

Everyone from local intellectual to soap opera stars drop by to check out what's new, have a cup of coffee or jut get the paper.

Get a magazine to read just before heading to the beach or drop by late in the afternoon to browse.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo

A MAGIC PLACE CALLED IPANEMA

by RafaelTheSecond Written May 23, 2006

Walking in Ipanema by Rafael T. Lopes

It is indeed the place where you can see the genuine city of Rio de Janeiro, a very residential place on the Ocean, the beach is gorgeous, the ambience is sophisticated in every street, the sea is clean and the people are simply gorgeous!

I am very lucky to live closeby...And Ipanema is the place where I do mostly of my things!;)

• brownfox's Profile Photo

olha que coisa mais linda..........IPANEMA BEACH

by brownfox Written May 18, 2006

spectacular Sunset RIO STYLE!!!

RIO DE JANEIRO...one dramatic picture that comes to mind...the PRAIA (Beach)..Ipanema beach located at one of the most stunning settings geographically.This is a must for everyone traveling to Brazil.Pack light, pick a spot and someone will tend to you as you arrived immediately. Rent a beach chair, umbrella and Ice cold Choppe(local beer) and enjoy the white sand, turquoise blue atlantic water and oh yeah..the CARIOCAS(locals) as they put on a show that reminds me of Victoria's Secret Special. The only difference is this happens everyday all day.

• Singles

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Ipanema beach

by Dabs Written Apr 10, 2006

Ipanema beach

One of the main reasons people go to Rio is for the beaches and Ipanema was wall to wall people on a Friday afternoon. We started off at the end of the beach closest to Copacabana and headed west and it became clear that the beach was divided into sections. I didn't happen to notice the Posto divisions but the guides say that Posto 9 is where the most fit and tanned bods are, the next section is the gay beach, identifiable by the rainbow flag if you don't happen to notice all the hot young men, Posto 8 is where the kids from the favelas (slums) hang out but to us it looked like a football (soccer) beach with all the balls flying around. There are also several spots with surfers trying to catch waves, none of them very good at it! Further on in the Leblon section, is supposed to be mostly families and singles.

• realde14's Profile Photo

by realde14 Updated Mar 27, 2006

Ipanema

Ipanema is my favorite place to hang out in Rio. The beach is absolutely fantastic, and the crowd excellent.

There is nothing better than to go run, bikeriding or skateboarding along the beach street on Ipanema

I can just sit for hours at one of the kiosks that sell agua de coco and watch the people go by and look at the waves.

Ipanema is great at night too with plenty of good restaurants, botequims, bars, and pubs. Located in the Zona Sul, this is your best option to stay in Rio.

• schurlif's Profile Photo

VINICIUS DE MORAES' PLACE

by schurlif Updated Mar 13, 2006

Ipanema beach with Dois Irm?os in the back....

All of us know this one song , many only in english (not a bad version) and many with the original words by Vinicius de Moraes , a revered carioca poet..... Melody by Tom Jobim , the supreme master of Bossa Nova during the sixties when Brazil was aching under the rule of miltary junta.....

Olha que coisa mais linda
    Mais cheia de gra?a
    ? ela menina, que vem e que passa
    Num doce balan?o a caminho do mar

Mo?a do corpo dourado
    Do sol de Ipanema
    O seu balan?ado ? mais que um poema
    ? a coisa mais linda que j? vi passar .....

yes... the girl from Ipanema , the song that has become the epitome of carioca sensuality and savoir vivre...

Well , almost all talk is about Copacabana , which is hectic and loud...... Ipanema , almost adjoining to Copacabana , is much calmer , serene and simply nicer..... So don't miss this beach and if it was only for the songs sake.... And who knows...? Maybe SHE with the golden body will pass by......

But then a friend from Austria who is gay ( I'm not , he's just a friend.... lol..) , comes to Brazil every other year and he asked me if I knew anything about gay action in Rio ... I answered : I'm sorry , I have no idea as this is not my "praia"..(= beach)... and then he told me that Ipanema Beach , way at the end Leblon side is THE gay meeting point of all carioca beaches..... Well.... maybe then HE with the golden body passes by there.....

• Gay and Lesbian

• siver's Profile Photo

The water is clean

by siver Written Feb 18, 2006

compare with the Copacabana, the Ipanema is narrow in some sections, so it could get crowded by north america standard. But the water is clean. We stayed in a Copacabana hotel which locates on the side closer to Ipanema, so walked to Ipanema beach every time.

• JCtheEE's Profile Photo

Massage on the Beach

by JCtheEE Written Dec 29, 2005

On Ipanema beach near the Caesar Park hotel and Posto Nove(spelling?) you can find many massage tables set up on the sand. Some are under umbrellas(which I prefer since I'm not really in desperate need of a tan) and others are in the sunshine. The girls and guys that perform the massages are all very professional and they took great pains to insure that your belongings were secure during your time on the table. The average price was 40 Reals for 30 minutes which translates to just over $20 US. Not a bad deal at all.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Rio de Janeiro

Comments

View all Rio de Janeiro hotels