Rio de Janeiro Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by easterntrekker
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by JohnniOmani
  • Can't show beautiful night view, camera stolen
    Can't show beautiful night view, camera...
    by sejj

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Mustard on the shoe scam

by Dabs Updated Apr 11, 2006

I always read about these crazy scams that people think up to part tourists from their money but this is the first time one has ever happened to me.

We were walking down one of the major streets in Ipanema, but it was pouring buckets of rain for most of the morning and it was a Sunday so few people were out. A guy starts gesturing madly at my shoe, were my shoe laces untied or was I in danger of stepping in a large pile of dog crap? Nope. So I ignored him and then I looked again and where the heck did that mustard come from???? This wasn't your run of the mill yellow mustard, no this was fancy Grey Poupon mustard, right smack in the middle of my tennis shoe.

So I look at this guy, who is still gesturing at me and I notice he's got a shoe shine box and I think must be a really slow day if you're squirting mustard on tennis shoes, you see these weren't fancy white leather tennis shoes but mesh tennis shoes.

I just kept walking and eventually he went away and I found a nice big puddle on the sidewalk and a couple of hops and *poof*, the mustard was gone (don't think the mustard would enhance the taste of the shoe much anyway). Guess it could have been worse, I could have been hit by the dog crap shoe scam that I read about in Travelers Tales or it could have been yellow mustard or even worse yet, what if I had been wearing sandals?

I've also read they use mustard as a distraction and use it to part you from your wallet, my advice is to not stop, eventually they will go away

• racheljapi's Profile Photo

Smoking something illegal on the beach

by racheljapi Written Nov 6, 2004

If you want to smoke something illegal on the beach there are a couple little things to remember: 1. If you buy this something there you are supporting the drug lords and the drug violence in Rio. Remember that. 2. Be careful because cops dress undercover. 3. When on the beach smoking, listen for whistles. People will start whistling when they see cops walking down the beach. Put your stuff away. 4. The group of men sitting on the beach in t-shirts and dark jeans are undercover cops, don't smoke in front of them. 5. If there are no locals smoking where you are, don't smoke. There must be something up.

Ipanema

• tere1's Profile Photo

Be careful while in Rio!

by tere1 Updated Aug 28, 2006

Rio is considered a dangerous city . That doesn't mean you should keep it out of your travel plans. Just make sure you have a few precautions while there.

Don't walk in the Copacabana interior area at night. it's a zone where robbery is usual. Be sure that you don't look like a tourist. That means not to have your camera at sight , don't use any jewels or watches. If you need a watch use a plastic one. Carry only a small amount of money and if you think you won't need your credit card leave it at the hotel.

This also apllies to the beach. Don't leave your belongings unattended. Groups of children and teenagers can appear suddenly in the beach and robb you even during daylight, so don't take with you anything valious. And the most important of all, if you ever get robbed don't offer any resistance. That's the worst thing you can do! I don't want to scare you but many people were injured or even killed because they offered resistance when they were being robbed.

Copacabana beach

• nickyte's Profile Photo

Safety in Rio de Janeiro

by nickyte Written Mar 15, 2005

It is quite safe to walk around in Rio. I was staying in Copacabana for 2 weeks during the Carnival, went around Rio but had no unfortunate incidents. Contrary to what I have read, searched and gathered from asking tourist forums Rio is quite safe in my opinion. I blended with the people in the street (the Cariocas) so that didn't separate me from the crowd. I have my still camera in my pocket and my video camera was wrapped in a thick plastic bag then I put it inside a grocery bag. I went around with the grocery bag and when I wanted to take a picture or videotape I looked for a crowded spot most of the time near, beside or across from the police at the street corner. Almost every corner in town, on the beach side there is a presence of police. Military police or police in short, men and women. When I need to take a picture I just quickly snapshoot it or videotaped then put it back into my pocket or bag. Places like Corcovado, Sugar Loaf where there are a lot of tourists are good places to expose camera.

Take this advise: do not carry a lot of cash and be on constant watchful eye of your belongings. I would say that in Copacabana, Leblon and Ipanema, tourists are safer than anywhere else, but there is no guarantee that anywhere in Rio is the same.

Try to use your credit card as often as you could. Take note a cash advance from the bank machine or any banks can cost you hefty cash advance charges.
    For cash advance I used HSBC as it carries Cirrus, Visa and Master Card, Visa Plus symbols. Local banks like Bradesco, Banco do Brasil do not entertain foreign debit and credit cards.

As much as possible use these machines daytime to avoid any temptations from muggers that lurk from the dark (although I never encountered any of this sort). Take precautions to cover your fingers when keying PIN. Keep your machine receipt and reconcile with bank statements when you arrive home from vacation. Your balance may not be available right away after withdrawal in the machine.

Safety in Rio

• hekate's Profile Photo

Keep out of favellas

by hekate Updated Sep 28, 2004

My guide said that it is better to stay out of the favellas when you are a tourist.

Decent people live there as well but the crime rate is higher.

So if you really want to go and see the favellas better either go with a tour group (there are local tourist agencies that offer this service) or go with a local person who knows the place (of course, you should know and trust that person :)).

Favella

• ChrisRJ's Profile Photo

The Sand Can Get Mighty Toasty!

by ChrisRJ Written Mar 9, 2005

Especially during the peak tourist season the sand can get mighty toasty under that 90 degree sun. You'll feel just fine for the first 15 yards and then that warm sensation will get a little uncomfortable. By that point in time you think "Well I'm already walking. I might aswell just keep going."

About another 17 seconds go by and you're frantically pulling off your tee shirt so that you can slam it down on the sand and then stand on it, before you leave bits of your toes behind for the birds.

Then you realize what it must feel like to be stuck on a desert island, with no hope of rescue. You have only one way out. Gritting your teeth, playing hop scotch with your tee shirt, while vowing never to be such a *** again.

In Copacabana some enterprising chair rental salesmen have actually run a hose with holes in it from the sidewalk directly to their stalls.

Think You Can Make It?

• MartaBotelho's Profile Photo

Downtown

by MartaBotelho Updated Apr 4, 2011

Rio de Janeiro's downtown has always been associated with danger. During the week a lot of people go there to work on the many building companies. The neighbourhoods around are great places to shop. It is in this area that you can find the best prices. Of course it's a bit like the black market. It is normal to see the PM's (Policia Militar) getting into small fights with the "Camelos" (the street vendors). This generates sometimes some stress amongst the people passing by, but usualy it stops as fast as it began. It is though important for you to have your eyes wide open when you go to this area. On weekends and after 5 pm this is not a good area for a tourist to walk by. Everything is closed and the criminals take over the street. Also homeless people seek for protection under the building entrances and the parks.
    On the steps of Candelaria church a massacre took place almost 11 years ago. Off the duty PM's shot against 9 of the 50 orphan street children that used to spend the night under the divine protection of the church. Of the "Meninos da Candelaria" (Candelaria Children) only 1 survided. The other ran and never came back to sleep there again. On the following years 39 of them had violent deaths. The one that survided, Wagner dos Santos, got Witness Protection and inspired the movie "Cidade de Deus". Until today only 3 PM's were arrested and one suspect died on the way to court. The case is still not close.
    Anyway, go downtown only during weeks days and with company. Keep your eyes always open! And maybe leave a flower on Candelaria's steps.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors
    • Singles

Just Have Common Sense

by ChrisRJ Written Jul 9, 2004

You can have someone be mugged in the middle of Park Avenue, New York and someone else can walk through a favela and be fine. The most important components are common sense, street smarts and demeanor.

You don't need to wear lots of jewelry, fancy watches and swinging your $500 camera loosely from your shoulder. The average monthly wage may only be between $100 - $200 so the temptation to grab that camera can be high.

Watch for the young kids walking closely behind you and just don't look like a target, same as anywhere else in the world.

When we were there the only potential situation that could have escalated into something unpleasant was at a police checkpoint near a favela on the way to Barra. (Note: The local police don't make that much money either.)

• racheljapi's Profile Photo

Night Time

by racheljapi Written Oct 17, 2004

Just be careful when running around Rio at night. It's easy to get lost as a tourist and there are many places that locals don't run around at night. All and all, I found Rio to be far safer then everyone says. Oh, and if you rent a car, stop lights are optional at night. Look to make sure there is no traffic (it basically becomes a yield sign) and go. A lot of car theft used to be done at stop lights at night.

• nickyte's Profile Photo

Danger in Rio de Janeiro?

by nickyte Written Mar 15, 2005

I guess there is a lot of overreaction about crimes in Brazil that really hurts that beautiful country. There is just too much exaggeration.

Blame it on vitriolic press reports and the movies. The controversial film City of God which earned a nomination for the best foreign film in the Oscars three years ago depicted the slums of Rio and the crimes perpetrated by the drug lords. Was it ever that scary!

It sent a wave of alarm to many tourists and quashed a multimillion dollar tourism campaign by the government of Rio to project it as a vital tourist destination.

Who are the victims? The poor people of Rio. In reality the level of crimes is nowhere different from the Bronx in New York, the underbelly of downtown LA and the ubiquitous Medellin cartel etc.. Crime is everywhere in this world and no nation should be pinpointed as the cradle of poverty and crime. Every nation, every city has its own share.

The danger that I find persistent in Rio is perhaps being hit by a car than being a victim of robbery. One evening during the carnival night I was in Ipanema at a street corner in a curve. I had my green pedestrian light when I put my foot on the pavement to cross the street, a cab just went by in front of me followed by a bus. It was just about 2 feet from me. I was confused and really found out that it was green for me and red for the passing cars. Carnival madness? Maybe, but watching your steps prior to crossing streets are your best shots. Most pedestrians do what they feel when they are in a rush and so many motorists do feel the same way oblivious of any traffic violations.

Story lines herein are truncated due to space limitations. For full coverage pls refer to the website link below.

Walking the beach in the early morning in Rio

• csordila's Profile Photo

Danger - No Swimming

by csordila Updated Mar 19, 2009

Rio has many beautiful beaches but the most famous are Copacabana, Ipanema and Botafogo. It is better not to swim in the sea near Rio de Janeiro as the water is not too clean and as there are strong currents. Around Rio are places like Cabo Frio, Búzios, Macaé and Rio das Ostras where the water is cleaner. Especially Rio das Ostras is serene and hardly spoilt by tourists. At the Praia das Tartarugas in Rio das Ostras it is possible to swim between the sea turtles (but don’t go to far as here are dangerous currents as well). The species is called green sea turtle and it eats the algae that grow on a rock just before the coast.
    Most of the beaches are not staffed by lifeguards.
    Never ignore the signs!

Danger--No-Swimming Copacabana
    • Beaches

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Favelas

by Dabs Written Apr 11, 2006

Favelas are the slums of Rio, I've seen statistics that estimate that anywhere from 1/5 to 1/3 of Rio's population live in these slums. Favelas are mostly built up the side of the mountains in Rio and are very easily recognizable, all of the guides say that you do not want to enter one without a local guide. Although I can't fathom why anyone would want to go gawk at the living conditions of impoverished people, especially after watching "City of God", there are companies that run favela tours and most guidebooks list the reputable ones, hopefully whom pass on some of their profits to the residents.

Favela

Maniac Bus Drivers

by ChrisRJ Updated Mar 11, 2005

The buses in Rio are plentiful and "on a mission". These vehicles will come flying round the corner just as you're crossing the road going faster than you've ever seen a bus travel. They will not stop.....ever, so be prepared to run.

Personally I think that there is a secret grand prix going on that most people are unaware of. They start in the morning and whomever can complete their route in the fastest time gets all their beers bought for them by the other drivers.

Stay Behind Them & They Won't Run You Over

• besbel's Profile Photo

Myths about Rio (Un)safety

by besbel Updated Feb 26, 2005

To tell you the truth, the only thing I lost in Rio was my heart :-) No doubt that poverty and violence are issues in Rio de Janeiro. However, it is not a matter that should stop you to go. In most cases imprudence rather than Rio's unsafety iself is the reason that makes you a victim of crime there.
    Generally follow the same safety guidelines you follow at ANY city in the world:
    1) don't go out too late at night, much less alone.
    2) check out your bags and belongings while going around Rio. Never leave them unattended.
    3) don't carry unnecesary stuff like flashy jewelry, too much cash or fancy/expensive clothing.
    4) more importantly, don't boast about your belongings to strangers. It always amazed me how easily foreigners start talking about the money they brought, or the history of their jewelry, or their plans to buy this and that...
    4) Always carry a map, in case you get lost.

View of rua Rainha Elizabeth, Copacabana

• Rio done (un)justice!

by cherrymagic Updated Jan 24, 2013

I just come back from spending 9 days family holiday in Rio, the suitcases still unpacked. Specifically wanted to give comment under warnings and dangers as I feel strongly Rio is still given this very bad crime sticker, which is very much unfair, specially lately!
    In preparation for the holiday we of course consulted as much as poss the internet and other resources, and found many warnings on Rio and violence and crime. Well, I just wanted to stress that in nine days (and nights!) none of it happened to us! Under the impressions of the comments on this page too, we prepared ourselves for robberies in the streets, armed attacks and all sorts. By the time we finished reading the comments we wandered why the hell we planned to go to Rio?!
    Of all that, we just felt that the city centre is a bit dreary after 18.00 and on weekends and there was this character shouting to us, wanting to "tell us something", but could not catch up with us, that is all! We did purposely avoid favellas, of which a number has been pacified in the last few years. We just did not want to add to the pockets of those who rule in favelas, and why should someones hard life be interesting to pay for to see it?!
    The truth is, you do not go to Rio to have a perfect holiday, you go there to have a different holiday and possibly the holiday of a lifetime! Do not expect to be spoiled rotten by anyone, make your own holiday work for you and be prepared that the apartment you actually rented does not have all amenities promised on the web, that the roof pool will not be available for the repairs and that kind of thing. But, are you going there for the latest owen built in, and to swim in the roof pool, or to enjoy a town which is just overwhelming?!
    Today, we wish we left more time for Rio on our South America trip (since we also visited Buenos Aires and Montevideo). That is why we know we need to be back there, there is so much more to see and enjoy! The truth is RIO IS JUST GREAT! The safety is probably much improved in the light of the World Cup next year and actually much of the life happens around Ipanema and Copacabana, day and night, contrary to what we read in comments! Both beaches are just indescribably gorgeous, can't tell when more - by the day, for swimming, sunbathing and enjoying your cairpinha, or at night when they are both lit up with tens of reflectors and thousands of people enjoying the walk, biking, playing handball in the sand, whatever, singing, dancing, spontaneous parties, something for everyone. Can not paint the picture realistic enough, you just have to go there and experience it!
    General rules of precautions apply, of course, but that is the case with any large city in the world! I read just the other day that Sienna Miller got her handbag snatched while sitting in the car, broad light, in Paris!
    If you want to really measure the percentage of truthfulness on these comments on Rio, just go check what the same warnings and dangers say about your own town, specially if you come from a big one! I just did and am sorry have not done it before our trip to amazing Rio de Janeiro!
    Rio, we love you and will be coming back for sure!

Instant Answers: Rio de Janeiro

• Jul 5, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Yesterday i went to copacabana beach to see the world cup match at the fifa fan fest but my windows tablet pc was stolen from my bag. I rushed to the local police but they seemed ignorant and did not even took my written complaint saying that they are too busy. All my pictures, videos and important soft documents were in that tab. I have had enough in Brazil. I am going back earlier and wil advice others not to come to brazil.

• Oct 1, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Im currently in Rio on holiday, two attempts to grab my back pack in Copacabana in one day, held at knife point after walking out of a cash machine, cutting my trip short and getting the hell out of here!! Good luck to all visiting next years world cup, you WILL get exploited!!

• Mar 11, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I am a 44 year old female experienced traveler who has traveled to many 'dangerous cities' I was passing by Copacabana beach today at 2pm and decided to take out my $100 digital camera to take a picture of the beach. 2 men came up one tried to take my camera and the other held a knife at my throat. I screamed which attracted the attention of a cyclist. There was no harm done, I am actually here working and this incident will not limit my ability to do my job. What I will say is the wisdom of 'just hand everything over' is good advice but when confronted with a knife I thought...I am looking at a knife, why am I looking at a knife. You see and think of nothing else but the knife in this situation. I have seen a lot of defence of Rio on the various forums, what I will say is this: Rio is a fabulous city but my advice is not to take anything for granted....I think of crime as being the of the pick pocket variety, i.e if you don't watch your camera or your wallet you might lose it. having a weapon involved is another matter. I also asked the tourist police how many knife incidents there are around Copacabana beach on a daily basis and the answer is 5 or 6 that are reported, I think that is pretty high.

• Jun 5, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Here in Rio for business and pleasure just days before the world cup is to begin. Yesterday afternoon while returning home from a leisurely walk by myself (44, male) from Impanema two young boys on peddle bicycles (ages approx 11/12) began circling me with a clear intent of a snatch and grab mugging.

These two young muggers followed and circled me for over 3 blocks. When I crossed the street they too crossed over and at times up on the sidewalks they peddled their bikes. Be alert people. I let them know I was aware of their actions…and kept moving, fist ready to go. When I could I walked close to the buildings so they couldn't circle me and never ever once did I stop my feet from moving and eratically changed my direction to thwart their attack. At times I could have easily pushed these punks off their bikes...they came that close. When a chance arrived I mixed with a crowd of people and soon made my way into a shop until the muggers, quickly, moved on.

Be street savvy and alert and you will be alright.

• Mar 11, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Just got robbed middle to the day at aprox 1530 while walking past flamingo beach by 6-7 young boys. Luckily just got hurt in neck only while they snatched the chain. Thought they had all the aggression and intention of hurting me luckily the whole thing did not go further. Since they had the chain and i resisted further they took off. Am shocked and still coming to terms but equally happy that am not seriously hurt. I had the feeling that there were others around who were somehow part of the crime anyway no one really seem to be interested as to what was happenng though quite a few people were around. I travel quite a bit from asia to africa and its the first time that i have experienced an attack during the day at populated area. Hence can only advice that even during the day travel in a tourist group or take taxi, bus or undergroung if you plan to go from one area to other. Do not try to explore the differnt areas of the city on foot!

Rio de Janeiro Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Rio de Janeiro warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rio de Janeiro sightseeing.

View all Rio de Janeiro hotels