Tourist Attractions in Brazil

Waiting for our boat
    by DSwede
  • Pay with pesos or cradit card in Argentina.
    Pay with pesos or cradit card in...
    by cachaseiro
    Just some of the boats offering cruises
    by DSwede

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Brazil

• swesn's Profile Photo

NATAL: DUNES AT GENIPABU

by swesn Written May 29, 2007

Many tourists raved about taking the jeep tour through the dunes of Genipabu.

Genipabu is a nearby beach resort. My friend Gisele has a beach house there, facing the beach. It was great, as we could hear the sounds of the waves all through the night.

According to her, when she was a child, the dunes of Genipabu were 4 times higher than they are now. Something is seriously and ecologically wrong now. It seems sand is no longer feeding the dunes. So, you are looking at 'dying' dunes.

Hence, it pained me a lot to see many many jeep tours relentlessly offering rides around the dunes. There are also some unfortunate camels brought to the dunes here for tourists' rides. Sigh... don't they get it? Camels are made for desert walking, NOT dune walking. Their centre of gravity is too high and it makes them uncertain about their steps. Poor dears.

• the___gecko's Profile Photo

Hang Gliding

by the___gecko Written Mar 10, 2007

This isnt to hard to get out of but the hang glider instructor I went with was an annoying bastard when it came to purchasing photos of your flight which even when you say no at first they still set up the camera.

The guy we had said "its not about the money, its for you to remember"

This is the perfect oppourtunity to say "My friend, we paid for the flight, its what we wanted and we thank you so much for taking us on it. But please, do not insult my intelligence by saying its not about the money when your persistantly trying to sell them to us"

This will shut the prik up real fast. maybe you will want the pics, but they will try and charge you 60 reais at first. Always say no. You can get them for 30 when they get desperate enough.

• Keep Your Receipts

by Issamu Written Feb 23, 2007

Dodging taxes is a popular costume in Brazil.
    Every shop is obliged to provide a sales receipt (some even post a warning saying that "asking for a receipt is a duty"), but many smaller shops don't do it, to avoid paying taxes.

The problem is that (besides, of course, the tax dodging), if you ever need to change a product, shops will certainly demand the sales receipt. The Brazilian law says that, in case of faulty products, the vendor must replace it, but only if the purchaser has the receipt.

Unique Suggestions: Always prefer the big shops; most of them provide receipts (it is the law).

In the smaller shops, if the vendor doesn't give a receipt spontaneously, ASK for one.
    Keep the receipt, make sure you know where you got it and what you bought.
    In case the stuff you bought shows problems, bring it back to the shop and show the receipt.

• karsten1964's Profile Photo

Rio's beaches

by karsten1964 Written Nov 14, 2006

Well, I was there 20 years ago with my mother. Found the city to be dirty then, and the beaches sleazy. Many women came up to me, propositioning me (with my mother standing by). Using public transportation, my mothers purse was stolen on a bus (the only item I have had stolen in 20+ years of travel). Police were not helpful.

Unique Suggestions: Recommend you find out newer up to date info ;-)

Fun Alternatives: I have been told that Sao Paulo is a really nice town.

Gringo Fashion Day Tip #2

by peace_prevails Written Feb 3, 2006

If you are a man and you think one of these is appropriate dress - check your ticket again - if it does not say Waikiki Beach, and really does have some destination in Brazil - leave this fashion statement behind. Brazilians do not wear this stuff - and you will not 'blend in'....

Better to let your dog borrow it while you are away.

Gringo Fashion Day Tip #1

by peace_prevails Written Feb 3, 2006

Shoes are one of the biggest ways to pick you out as a tourist. If blending in is your goal, leave your gringo sandals at home (wish I would have been told this about my beloved chacos). When you get off the plane, spend R$12 on the universal and ubiquitous footwear - havaianas. Besides, they are now a fashion item on the Champes Elessee

• grovier's Profile Photo

Take care...

by grovier Written Dec 30, 2005

Take care with coke, hamburgers, feijoadas, picanhas and fat dishes...because you could become as the tag I saw in a little garden in Arpoador, showing the sad effects of this type of feedings...Yes it WAS a garotta de Ipanema....

'Oil on the shoe trick' - CUIDADO

by peace_prevails Updated Nov 1, 2005

Here's the trick - usually happens in Rio but other places with high tourist traffic as well.

You are strolling along Copacabana beach in your shined up shoes (mistake number one). All of a sudden, you notice a spot of oil on your shoe. How the hell did that get there? Out of thin air, a shoeshine boy appears with a kit, and in broken english with a smile, asks, 'Can I shine your shoe?' You think, what a coincidence... what luck.... The boy shines the show (rather quickly) and then asks you for one real (one note/bill). You open your wallet and before you can say 'Carnival' the boy, and your money, is gone - and way faster than you can run in those shiny shoes.

Unique Suggestions: Ways to avoid:

1. Wear havainas - sandals - not shoes that need shining.
    2. Be aware of your surroundings.
    3. Decline any offer to shine your shoes on the street, especially in risky areas.

Fun Alternatives: Sandals

• pepples46's Profile Photo

Rio de Janeiro

by pepples46 Updated Jun 13, 2005

Rio de Janeiro, as beautiful as the City is..too many People stay for too long, not knowing, the real Brasil start's beyound the Citylimits. I know I'm copping a lot of flag for saying this, but its my expirience and won't falter. though, I had great times when staying with friends in Rio.
    Carnival for example is also very interesting in Salvador da Bahia or Recife ...

• Music

• HansWerner's Profile Photo

Tourist Police

by HansWerner Written Apr 2, 2005

There are different kinds of police in Brazil and or Rio. One of them is the tourist police. If you have been trapped or have been stolen go to their office in Leblon. It´s opposite the star brazil show. Normally they only work on cases were documents like passports have been stolen. If it has been only money then good luck.

• HansWerner's Profile Photo

Motels in Brazil

by HansWerner Written Apr 2, 2005

The motels that you can see everywhere in Brazil are not normal motels. You can rent there a room for 6 or 12 ours. Some are equipped with sauna, jacuzzi and so one. So if you only want to sleep or you are alone then don´t go there.

Unique Suggestions: No problem, just leave.

• pepples46's Profile Photo

just don't ....

by pepples46 Updated Jan 3, 2005

take your Rolex to the Beach :)), leave the Leica at the Hotel..a little change for Icecream Coconut juice or Guarana soda should do.

Unique Suggestions: if u can't live without them..just stay at all times in your chair!

Fun Alternatives: don't go there in the first place

• salsa.man's Profile Photo

Eddie Murphy lookalike!

by salsa.man Updated Mar 4, 2004

On about my 3rd day in Rio I was sitting at a milk bar near copocaba beach relaxing and taking in all the sights .
    A bloke approached me asking me where I was from asking if he could show me round.
    He was a deadringer for eddie murphy and spoke good english.

He kept asking me what I wanted to do, which i replied to chill ,at this point I decided to relax on the beach.Suddenly he appeared with a deck chair and asked what I wanted to drink.Ok i thought lets have some fun, I had a capporihna some kind of white rum based drink. 'How much' I asked replying he said 'its on me'
    Anyway after about 4 of these in the mid day sun he turned the conversation to women, then he proceded to bring an array of girls to me, I felt like King of Copocabana .
    One wanted me to rub cream allover her body which i thought was a little forward but hey i'm on holiday in Brazil !

Eddie was filling me witha load of speel about his family and constantly filling me with more drink.Then I saw an amazing looking girl walking on the beach, I said to freddie 'shes beautiful', lo and behold he runs up to her and drags her across to me.
    She was stunning , but she couldnt speak english, so freddie was kinda useful.
    Not wanting him around too long I said I wanted to go for a walk with the girl on the beach alone, my heart was melting looking at her.

Then the sting came, he says to me I owed him about 50 quid or summat ridiculous, ok id had about 10 of these home made white rum drinks and being it was my first drink i didnt kno the prices but it seamed mighty steep.
    I gave him 25 and said thats all id got, he went off on one and said he wanted the rest.
    He had his uses as a translator so I kept him sweet by sayin tomorrow.

I just wanted to be alone with her but eddie stuck to us like glue, finally id had enough and then i returned to the youth hostel at about 10.00pm.

But hey what goes around comes around and the next day he turned up wanting the other money, i wasnt there and the manager ended up hitting him and he vanished out of sight.

Fun Alternatives: drink in a bar and ask price before ya served!
    learn abit of the local lingo!

• acemj's Profile Photo

Stay connected, just not too connected

by acemj Updated Dec 27, 2003

If you follow the same itinerary that I did (Rio-Salvador-Iguacu) you won't have any trouble finding internet points in which to stay connected to friends and family overseas. Be prepared however, for sometimes intermittent and slow connections. As always, it's good to stay in touch, but try not to get trapped wasting away too much of your valuable vacation time doing something you could be doing once you get back home.

• vebea's Profile Photo

Candomblé

by vebea Written Oct 5, 2003

It is s scam. They make you pay a lot (we paid R 30 per person) and you get nothing. You spend 2 hours in a hot and crowded room where a few women are chanting and dancing around faking that they are in trance. A great disappointment.

Brazil Hotels

136 Reviews - 206 Photos
São Caetano do Sul Hotels
2 Hotels

Instant Answers: Brazil

Comments

Brazil Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Brazil tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Brazil sightseeing.
Map of Brazil