Places to eat in Easter Island

Most Viewed Restaurants in Easter Island

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

KRAVA: The Best Deal for Lunch or Dinner

by cochinjew Written Jan 9, 2014

There are more restaurants than people visiting on any day so the choices are good, but the menu variations are not tremendous in this little isolated island. fish are bountiful so a menu of the day featuring fish is appropriate.
    Run by a mother and daughter team, it is open for Lunch and Dinner and provides home cooked style of Rapa Nui Food
    The place is quiet despite it being on the main street

Favorite Dish: Pua Fish steamed with salad and rice with a bottle of mineral water
    comes to about 13 dollars which is cheap by Rapa Nui Standards

I ordered the dish expecting a filet of fish but it was the entire Pua Fish.
    By the way in keeping with the tradition of societies like this, they have a name for everything. The very same fish is given four different names depending upon the stage of its maturation
    pua
    pisi
    nanue
    nanue pava

Mother and daughter this daughter recently graduated from Cuba

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Berta's Empanadas: Time to revisit Madam Berta Again

by cochinjew Written Jan 6, 2014

Berta's Empanadas need no introduction if you are in Hanga Roa. I went and said hello and renewed our acquaintance and she asked me to come early monday morning.

Favorite Dish: Tuna Empanada
    large in size almost a small sized tuna inside
    I was waiting at the verandah, watching and saw people brining fresh fish to the place. She prepared the empanada herself for me, and it tasted delicious and believe you me, i couldn't not eat for the next 12 hours and it filled up the stomach.
    It cost only 6 dollars per empanada which is the usual price in the island and it was more than a meal for me

I recognized this portrait of Berta's daughter

• pure1942's Profile Photo

Pea: Seafood

by pure1942 Written Nov 2, 2011

Despite the good reviews elsewhere, we found the food here pretty standard and a little pricey for what we got. Also the atmosphere at the restaurant was lacking a little. We were the only ones there at the time and as the restaurant is quite a large premises, it made for a rather forlorn mood. However, the location of this restaurant makes up for all of this. Occupying a prime spot on a bluff overlooking Playa Pea and Caleta Hanga Roa, Restaurant Pea is a popular place to grab a bite to eat, while soaking up the atmosphere on the beach below and across in the harbour. The terrace outside is also a perfect spot to watch the surf action further out from the beach.
    While the food isn’t anything particularly special, it is good filling food, with the fish dishes being the best option. We had a tuna steak with sweet potato (kumara) and salad which we enjoyed even though we both agreed that it wasn’t as good as we had expected after reading some reviews.

Pea Restaurant Pea estaurant

• pure1942's Profile Photo

Cafe Ra’a: Cafe

by pure1942 Updated Nov 2, 2011

Cafe Ra’a became a favourite spot of ours for coffee and lunch during our stya on the island. The place is located on the main drag in Hanga Roa, Av. Atamu Tekena. Its location makes it a great place to people watch and with outdoor seating is a smashing spot for a simple lunch or even just a coffee or juice. The service is welcoming in a reserved non-committal way and the prices are reasonable compared to elsewhere on this generally expensive island. There are well recommended fish dished but we only ever had sandwiches and light bites here.

Cafe Ra

• la taverne du pecheur: don't go! save your money

by yachtcecily Updated Nov 17, 2010

Don't go !
    Practically chased out by the owner after waiting 20 minutes for a drink. Think he used the term vagabonds! Have never recieved such shocking treatment. Thankfully didn't get to the stage of ordering anything as it could have only been to the restaurant's advantage. As a fellow restrauteur ( in the U.K) I was shocked by the hostility provided by this establishment. Perhaps living on former glories. I sugest they step aside and let someone who cares have a go.

• Lunaina's Profile Photo

Haka Honu: Great experience at the coast

by Lunaina Updated Oct 27, 2009

Here the food is great, the portions are nice and the service is wonderful. We went here twice and both times we enjoyed it much. It usually is quite busy here. This restaurant opens earlier then a lot of other places. Most restaurants open at 19.00 hours...

by pnilsson Written Jan 20, 2009

Charming reception, exceptional food, sublime outside view on the ocean... Our experience was memorable. (We found it on the Web! http:restaurantauboutdumonde.com )

Favorite Dish: Every single plate is a personal creation from the (charming) hostess. The grilled spiny lobster with 4 sauces deserves the journey - and so does the belgian chocolate mousse.

• Beer Tasting

• Beer Tasting

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

Merahi Ra'a: Great food

by filipdebont Written Dec 30, 2008

I passed this restaurant several times on the way from the hotel to the city center of Hanga Roa.

There were always a lot of people eating here when I passed, and that mostly indicates the food and prices are good. Also several local came here, which is also a good value counter.

Service in this restaurant was young, friendly and quick.

The have a great variety on meat and fish dishes.

As usually I started with a pisco sour (2000 pesos)

And then a steak with mushroom sauce the meat was juice well prepared.

Favorite Dish: Steak with mushroom sauce (9000 pesos)

steak with mushroom sauce

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

Te Moana: Exotic atmosphere

by filipdebont Written Dec 30, 2008

ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Favorite Dish: Te Moana delight : Tune fish fillet with mashed taro root with fresh vegetables in a coconut sauce. (12.000 pesos)

Te Moanas delight

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

Kanahau Restaurant and Bar: Kanahau Restaurant and Bar

by kiwigal_1 Written Nov 21, 2008

We were walking down the main street in Hanga Roa and came across the Kanahau Restaurant and Bar. It looked like a nice place and so we decided to eat there and weren´t disappointed. The food was really good and the setting was comfortable and chic.

Favorite Dish: I had the Chaumen Noodles. If I weren´t pregnant then I would have had the tuna sashimi dish.

Christian on Easter Island
    • Women's Travel

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Hanga Roa restaurants and cafes: Seafood and empanadas

by TheWanderingCamel Updated Aug 18, 2008

Hanga Roa may not be the gastronomic capital of the world but it does have enough restaurants serving good food for you to be able to pick and choose and eat at different places throughout your stay. As you would expect, fish features heavily on menus, we ate it at virtually every meal and it was always fresh and, with only one exception, very well prepared. No great long details of restaurants or meals we ate here, this is a precis of the places we tried - the way tourism is growing on Easter Island, no doubt there'll be new ones to try before long.

Breakfast at Bicky's - our residencial. Always ample - fresh guava juice, fresh fruit, the ubiquitous flat rolls (there's only one baker on the island, you get these rolls everywhere you go), ham, cheese, avocado, goyabada (guava paste) and a lashings of coffee or tea ... and fresh-cooked pancakes straight from pan to plate on our last morning. A great start to the day.

Picnic lunch of fresh fruit and empanadas brought from town, and afternoon teas of Coke and homemade cake under the palm trees at Anakena ... simple pleasures

Tia Berta ... queen of the empanada. Freshly made and cooked to crisp, golden perfection, filled with ham, cheese, tuna, seafood or sausage - or combinations of the same. A salad, chips to share, all served up by an eye-popping hunk of a "waitress". A great favourite with the locals. Good choice for lunch.

Cafe Ra'a - another good choice for lunch. Seafood soup in a bowl crammed with prawns, chunks of fish and flavour. Good salads and sandwiches for the others, real coffee and a book exchange. A few tables outside under shady umbrellas.

Favorite Dish: Time for dinner ... Rapa Nui eats late, so if you may get an outside table, perfect on a balmy evening, if you time it right.

Te Moana - a few outside tables, inside a long, dimly lit room opening onto a small side garden. A fantastic ceviche, served in a clam shell, full of sweet white fish and prawns, flavoured beautifully with lime, coconut, fresh herbs and subtle spicing - fresh as fresh. The others were making similarly appreciative noises over their choices of grilled and fried fish. A chilled bottle of excellent Chilean sauvignon blanc and we were all well pleased. Recommended by Bicky and a good choice.

Restaurant Pea - maybe if it had not been such an overcast evening the restaurant may not have been quite so gloomy. No atmosphere, and overcooked fish for me - albacore, which toughens if it's left under the grill too long. The others had better luck but this place didn't live up to its reviews. Better options elsewhere.

Merahi Ra'a - down by the harbour, overlooking Ahu Tautira, nice outside seating area. Beautiful fresh fish, grilled to perfection, served with a simple salad and golden chips - no need to do anything fancy when the product is so good; smiling service to accommodate our appointment with an aeroplane, not a bad way to spend our last hour or so on this magical place.

Cafe Ra'a - real coffee Merahi Ra'a - great fish Tia Berta - queen of empanadas

• balint01's Profile Photo

Booth at Anakena: Grab a fresh Sandwich!

by balint01 Written Aug 12, 2008

If you don't take enough food and water with you from Hanga Roa in the morning, the only chance you would have to grab any of these is at Anakena, next to the beach where a few booths are located selling fresh sandwhiches, salads, snacks and drinks. I chose to have a fish sandwhich for take-away - and I got a huge monstre sandwhich that was impossible to be eaten while driving for example. The very nice local woman prepared it fresh in front of my eyes from fishmeat and vegetables and some sauce.

It was big, very tasty and enough to easily keep me going until dinner while actively exploring the island.

I don't know about the other booths, but I definiately suggest you try the one with lady on the picture - she is a great cook!

Favorite Dish: I only had one fish sandwhich, but this was the best (and probably the biggest) in my life!

One of the booths at Anakena (2008) Fresh Fish Sandwhich being ready (2008) balint01 with his fish sandwhich (2008)

• balint01's Profile Photo

Restaurante Pea: Dine out by the Port

by balint01 Updated Aug 12, 2008

They have all sorts of food, fish being the best one in my opinion. Their fries were very tasty at the time when I was there. The surrounding is very nice, it is located right at the port, and the building is built around a small lagune. While eating, you can view the port, or the little "swimming pool" where sometimes school children have a swim-lesson. There are usually kids surfing around as well. They usually have the windows open, so you can feel the fresh sea breeze while eating, it's really cool!

A unique feature was that on my last visit I asked around about the music they were playing and they offered me a whole mp3 CD in return. The CD was average price (~15 USD if I remember correctly) but includes something like 6 or 7 albums of Easter Island bands, so it was good value I think.

Update in 2008: Tuna with onion and vegetables is still very good, location is the same, now they have more tables outside, right by the sea which is very nice.

Favorite Dish: I have eaten at Pea's a few times, sometimes with friends, sometimes just by myself. My favorite food (as at most of the restaurants at Rapa Nui) was fish, in this case the tuna fish with onions and vegetables. Of course I ordered a side meal of french fries to it as well, but the fish was delicious.

Tuna fish with onion and vegetables (2005) Pea's Restaurant as seen from the street (2005) View of the port from one of the tables (2005) Fish with vegatables (2008) Tuna fish with onion and vegetables (2008)

Easter Island Hotels

Instant Answers: Easter Island

Comments

Easter Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Easter Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Easter Island sightseeing.
Map of Easter Island