Related Santiago Favorites Tips

by spidermiss

Most Viewed Favorites in Santiago

• Hectour Service

by spider79 Written Aug 30, 2013

Favorite thing: I recommend to everyone the guide services from Hector Medina. He is an experient guide who show us the nicest things from Santiago, Valparaíso and Viña del Mar and the Concha y Toro and Undurraga wineyards, also he took us to Farellones and Valle Nevado, and I can say, it was an amazing experience. We had a great time and Hector always helped us with the best opinions ever.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Skiing and Boarding

• rkearns's Profile Photo

what to do in vina and valparaiso

by rkearns Updated Nov 2, 2010

Favorite thing: there is a member who lives in vina del mar. you should check her out. just do a destination search in the top right search bar and it will show the members who live there.
    valparaiso has the market, the dock, the funicular elevators that take you up the hill to all those pretty colored houses. you can find the neruda house on foot with a map. it's a pretty walk. you get to see all of the port from above. there are little markets along the way for water and such.

vina del mar is best known for the beach. you can also take a bus ride up to con con. but if you only have one day, i guess that's too much. valparaiso is worth it. it's the oldest port city in south america, from what i have read. my experience was that it was pretty dirty. dust blowing in your eyes... i was told by a local that because they sweep the ship decks, there's a lot of dirt in the air. they have GREAT food in valparaiso, one dish i call the "sloppy meat sandwich". they sell it almost everywhere. it's meat and guacamole and mayo and lettuce, tomato and i don't know what else makes it heavenly (if you eat meat). i don't think you need a tour company to accomplish what you want. enjoy your trip! it's a beautiful country.

• llacr's Profile Photo

Hector Tour Service

by llacr Written Oct 11, 2010

Favorite thing: If you are looking for a custom tour with a guide extremely professional, courteous and knows very well all regions, Hector Medina is the ideal guide.
    There are many tours available, however, making a custom tour, you know the city in a different way, with the vision of someone who lives there, and out of those classic tours.
    I did a tour with Hector to Valparaiso and Vina de Mar in a great way !!!!!
    You pay for a tour designed specifically for you, with flexible hours, knows the place you want and not what was stipulated by the tour company!!

I recommend to everyone who wants one of the highest quality service and want to make the trip unforgettable !!!!!

• Cruise

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Learning Spanish

by spidermiss Updated Sep 9, 2010

Favorite thing: In October 2007 I spent three weeks learning Spanish at ECELA (Escuelas y Centros de Espanol en Latin America) a private language school.

I took combined classes which meant I had group classes for four hours in the morning and then an hour's private lesson totalling five hours a day.

In the classes, you're encouraged to consolidate and participate in class through role play, games and other forms of interactive learning.

There are 12 levels of Spanish you're taught and you're tested for what level on the first day of school.

There are usually a maximum of 6 people per group and classes take place Mondays to Fridays.

Email: info@ecela.com
    Phone: 1-866-577-8693
    Fax: 1-866-726-5705

Fondest memory: Able to speak basic Spanish for survival!

• Study Abroad

• Santiago Chile Eat Wine Guide

by Sophie1975 Written Feb 18, 2010

Favorite thing: I moved to Santiago a few months ago from NY with very little planning, and when I got here some internet searches led me to this e-guide, it was super helpful, especially for restaurant recs, travel tips, different neighborhoods, nightlife, coffee shops, etc...I downloaded it and refer to it on my iphone when out and about. Check it out: http://eatwineguides.com/
    Enjoy!

Fondest memory: As a admitted foodie and wanna-be celebrity chef, I will miss the Vega a ton! Miles of fresh vegetables and fruit, grain, spices, I could shop there for days

• Wine Tasting

Airport Arrival Reciprocity Fee

by kiwigal_1 Written Jan 31, 2009

Favorite thing: At Arturo Merino Benitez Airport in Santiago there is an airport reciprocity fee that is charged to all citizens travelling on US, Mexico, Canada, Australia and Albania passports.

If you are travelling on one of these passports then you would have to pay the charges before going through immigration.

The costs are:

• Business Travel
    • Study Abroad

Driving and Parking in Santiago

by kiwigal_1 Written Jan 31, 2009

Favorite thing: Personally I don´t like to drive in Santiago as the people drive a little crazy but on the highways it isn´t so bad. Parking on the street is usually fine although finding a park may be difficult. Will your car be safe?.... well that really comes down to the luck of the draw. It is not unknown in Chile to have cars parked on streets broken into or stolen. In many places there are people who wiill look after your parked car for a tip that you can pay them upon leaving. It is a good idea to pay something.

Rio Mapocho

by kiwigal_1 Updated Jan 27, 2009

Fondest memory: Santiago is located in a river valley in the area around the rivers Mapocho and Maipo. The Mapocho river runs through the city and has parks and walkways along the side of it as it runs through Providencia. The river is very fast flowing and is less polluted than it looks although in summer can smell kind of interesting! In 2008 works started to create a separate drain for contaminants so that sewage etc is not running directly into the Mapocho without treatmet first. The system should be running by 2010.

The parks alongside the river are a nice place to walk and there are some lovely fountains that get lit up at night.

One interesting fact about the river that amazes me is that the "Costanera Norte" highway was built underneath the river in the section through Providencia. It is a 3 lane highway on each side.

• Work Abroad
    • Women's Travel

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

Clinics vs Hospitals for health care

by kiwigal_1 Updated Jan 27, 2009

Fondest memory: While living in Santiago I will be giving birth to my first baby at the Clinica Alemana. The Chilean health system has public hospitals and private clinics. The private clinics offer the best standard of care but are more expensive. As a resident of Chile I pay into the Chilean private health insurance system and so am entitled to have my baby at one of the clinics and I have chosen the Clinica Alemana. If you do get sick while in Chile then I suggest that you contact your health insurance provider and ask them to cover the treatmet in one of the clinics. Here is a list of some of the clinics that I would recommend:

Clinica Alemana

• Seniors
    • Work Abroad

Caffee con Piernas

by filipdebont Written Nov 30, 2008

Favorite thing: While visiting Santiago our Dutch tour leader Andres told us about the best coffee in town. We did not really know what would follow; the he took us to a local coffee bar.

This local coffee bars are named Caffee con Piernas (Coffee with legs).

Of course in these coffee bars they are serving coffee, that is pretty normal, I would say.

But it is the service which is special; the coffee is served by young (friendly) ladies in short skirts

That was a very special experience.

The bars were filled with business men in suit, coming for a coffee before going to work, and a few tourists . . .

When we wanted to see the changing of guards at la Moneda (see tips and videos), we were too early, so there was time left for a coffee, that is how we found this Caffee Bombay near La Moneda, the coffee shop with the most beautiful girl . . .

Och, yes of course the coffee was also delicious.

Fondest memory: The best coffee in town and the friendly service

Santiago at night

by filipdebont Written Nov 30, 2008

Favorite thing: When visiting a city, I always love to walk around at night to make pictures of the illuminated buildings.

I did this the first night, I arrived in Santiago. I still remember that it was pretty cold.

As in every city it can be dangerous when you walk around with your expensive photo equipment, so be careful and when possible go with other people and stay a bit together.

The Plaza de Armas was a great place to make some night shots.

Fondest memory: Making pictures at night at the Plaza de Armas

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Reciprocity Tax when entereing Chile

by cochinjew Written Nov 23, 2008

Favorite thing: Citizens of many countries including USA and Australia can enter chile without a visa for up to 90 days. there is a reciprocity tax, charging the national the same fee the respective countries charge for visa for chileans. australians pay 35 usd, that is what i paid three times but it is valid for nearly one month, so if you enter within that period you dont pay again. mexicans pay 15 or usd and the Yanks pay higher fees, i thought it was 100 usd but the above poster as said 135 usd so it might have risen since my visit.

Fondest memory: Pablo's house and a visitor from Takaoka

• Jefie's Profile Photo

The Amazing Andes

by Jefie Written Sep 27, 2008

Fondest memory: If you read my tourist trap tip, you already know that I didn't get to see much of the Andes, but every time their snowy peaks would appear as if magically in the sky, my heart would skip a beat. I've seen the Rockies and yes, they are beautiful, but there is something majestic and almost mythic about the Andes. The way they kept appearing and disappearing, it was almost as though they were teasing me to come back and see more of them another time. And you know what? I probably will!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Junior Pan-American Karate Games

by Jefie Updated Sep 25, 2008

Fondest memory: Of course I had to write something about what brought me to Santiago in the first place: my nephew's participation at the Junior Pan-American Karate Games! When Kevin won the gold medal at the Canadian Karate Championships, we knew he had just gotten himself a ticket to Santiago de Chile and having already promised to accompany him should he win, I came back home and started planning my first trip to South America!

The PanAm Games were held in a small, unheated stadium in the Nuñoa area - nothing to do with the gigantic football stadium nearby, trust me! We went in there not knowing what to expect, but we quickly realized that Canada had a real shot at winning a few medals - and we did! In total, we got 15 medals: 5 gold, 4 silver and 6 bronze, and out of the 20 participating countries, we ranked 4th overall. My nephew competed on September 6 and got the silver medal, beating the American champion in his first fight, and losing to the Mexican champion in a really close finale. Despite the cold and sometimes long days, we bring back nothing but great memories of the competition - I can now only wait and see how far Kevin makes it over the next few years but no matter what happens, we know we have every reason to proud of him :o)

Local people

by filipdebont Updated Sep 7, 2008

Favorite thing: While walking around in Santiago I noticed that the local people do not have the typical indigenous looks as you see it while visiting Ecuador, Peru or Chili. It is more a mixture of colours.

The first morning, we started for a guided city walk. And already a few steps from our hotel, at Baquedano square we alredy encountered some ladies in traditional dresses.

We friendly asked if it was allowed to make a picture - no problem at all, they answerred. They looked very proud to pose in front of our cameras.

The ladies were Mapuche.

These Mapuche are the indigenous inhabitants of Central and Southern Chile and Southern Argentina. Mapuche make up about 4% of the Chilean population, who are particularly concentrated in the Araucania Region, while over 60% of Chile's population is believed to possess some Mapuche ancestry.

Fondest memory: meeting these friendly ladies

Santiago Hotels

Latest: Aug 29, 2013
Hostal Rio Amazonas Barrio Brasil Santiago
Latest: May 2, 2013

Instant Answers: Santiago

Comments

Santiago Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Santiago locals.
Map of Santiago