Santiago What to Pack

Best Rated What to Pack in Santiago

• mev1976's Profile Photo

Dictioanary

by mev1976 Written Jun 11, 2004

Miscellaneous: Its easy to talk with a chilean person, we are going to put all our effort to try to understand you, but you need to know that according to the last national inquiry just a 3% of the population speak english so you need to know a litlle spanish to say hello, goodbay, can you help me, things like that.
    but a dictionary could be helpfull becuase I think that we have the wors spanish of all Latin America, we don´t pronaunce the final "s" and we talk too fast so you certantly are going to need it

• Packing Tips

by wrjones Written Jan 19, 2004

Luggage and bags: My wife and I always use small backpacks. If we can't carry it on/off the plane, we leave it at home. Travel light! It works for us.
    A small day pack is handy for shopping and carrying necessary odds and ends while wandering around. When you travel, it can be strapped onto your bigger pack.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I pack / wear a total of 1 pair of heavy duty shoes, 2 pairs of light weight socks (you really can wear them for a week or more), 2 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of pants, 3 shirts and a light windbreaker. Anything else we need, we buy. Obviously, we don't camp, hike, etc.
    The shirts and pants should be a blend of cotton and polyester. They wash easily, dry quickly and won't wrinkle. You can even sleep in these shirts without wrinkling. TIP: Don't forget your deodorant!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Don't forget to pack toilet paper and those little 'handiwipe' things that come in small individual packets. Outside of Santiago, it
    is normal that the bathrooms in bars and restaurants often lack toiletpaper, soap and handtowels. Strangely, they often lack even a toilet seat. On the positive side, most all of these bathrooms are clean.
    Always bring prescription medications, but you may be able to purchase them in pharmacies. On my last trip, I bought antibiotics, throat medication and pain pills (non-narcotic) without any doctor involvement.

Photo Equipment: I didn't have the equipment to recharge my camera batteries in Chile, but AA batteries were easy to find.

• nyl's Profile Photo

Things to bring

by nyl Written Sep 12, 2005

Luggage and bags: Remember that if you are going to be living in Santiago, or staying for an extended period, one of your bags should be something that you can travel with for weekend-week trips.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you are going to be here during the winter months, pack with layers!! sunny days can get quite warm but the cold days are frigid. Also, rain gear, especially shoes or boots, there are puddles everywhere. Also, bring good walking shoes with proper support!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: They have the most basic but if there's something you think you may need that might be considered a bit more specialized, bring it with you.

Miscellaneous: School products can be expensive so if you're studying abroad, bring notebooks, paper, and writing supplies from home. Hair dryers are also expensive (actually most electronics).

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• Quero's Profile Photo

High and dry

by Quero Updated Sep 1, 2003

My boots took up half of my suitcase!

Luggage and bags: Ski gear bags, if you take your own equipment along.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I always take my ski boots since I'm simply miserable skiing in rental boots made to fit men's feet. I did leave my skis at home this time, though.

Ski suits, and enough warm socks to last your week. It's no fun to do laundry or wear grungy socks.

For evening, jeans and sweaters are fine.
    I didn't need snow boots at all.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Take sunscreen. If you get sick on switchback roads, swallow a dramamine before you ascend or descend.

The air is *very* dry. I used a whole pot of dry skin lotion.

Photo Equipment: Cameras are a "pain" to fall on, so it's nice to have one that will fit in one pocket of your ski jacket.

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

Packing for multi climate travel in South America

by kiwigal_1 Updated Mar 27, 2008

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In Chile the "rainy season" is winter which is June - August traditionally. There may be some showers in Santiago in other months and rainfall may occur in other parts of Chile (it is a long country so climate can vary). If travellers are going to various countries in South America and the question is more on what to pack than what is the weather then I suggest you bring a mixture of clothing for the various seasons as it seems you will at least need a fleece and light rain jacket and you will certainly need summer clothing also, a couple of pairs of long pants (perhaps with a zip off to shorts) and if you are doing any high altitude trekking then you may also need thermals as it gets very cold especially at night (particularly in Peru & Bolivia)

• Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel

• bobmyx's Profile Photo

Short sleeves and a jacket

by bobmyx Written Sep 9, 2005

Luggage and bags: plenty available here at good prices.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: winter. Heavy jacket May to Sept.
    summer, short sleeves and a jacket.
    Evenings tend to cool all over the country.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: most things are available here if you do not want to carry a lot.

Photo Equipment: plenty of film

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: same needs as USA or Canada.

• IIGUANA's Profile Photo

Clothing

by IIGUANA Written Nov 21, 2003

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring light clothing for the summer (Dec-March). Temperatures can reach 35 degrees. Not humid though.
    Take warm clothing for the winter (May-Sept) cause it may go down to 4 degrees. It rains a lot during the winter.

• Packing List

by aldebaran300 Written Sep 7, 2002

Miscellaneous: Pàginas Amarrillas de todo Chile.(Incluye:Per-España-Argentina-Brasil)./Yellow-Pages.(All Chile & Peru-Spain-Argentine-Brazil).Página Web/Web Page :

AMARILLAS CL

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Pack warm clothing

by XKuger Written Oct 20, 2004

Luggage and bags: Nothing special here

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Most definitly pack somewarm clothing such as a jacket or sweather. I was there inb spring and it was cold. Most definiy I would have frozen without my jacket.

Photo Equipment: Most camera equipment is safe to cary around.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Packing List

by frankcanfly Updated Sep 19, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Coming from a hot summer in the Northern Hemisphere, I didn't even contemplate the cold.....

I bought a cheap sweater here, no big deal.

• Packing List

by aldebaran300 Written Sep 7, 2002

Miscellaneous: Mapa de calles Santiago y otras ciudades de Sudamêrica/street maps,Santiago & others cities on Southamerica.Página Web/Web Page : MAP CITY

Instant Answers: Santiago

Comments

Santiago What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Santiago what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Santiago sightseeing.