Valparaíso Sports & Outdoors

• marsistanbul's Profile Photo

Colo Colo..El Indio

by marsistanbul Updated Jun 6, 2008

I'm El Indio:)

Former club Magallanes players led by Arellano brothers,created their new club Colo Colo on April 1925,naming the club for a Chilean Mapuche chief(Colo Colo was a Mapuche leader,he held the position of Peace Leader,but took ever strategic duties when Spanish conquest began,becoming the head of the Native Mapuche forces againist invaders)
    Colo Colo's nicknames El Indio(the Indian) or El eterno Campeon(the Eternal champion),and I believe that El Indio is one of the fantastic football club in Chile,and have the craziest( the DIEHARD) fans,because I am the one of them:) And I had a chance to watch of their last championship match,sure..We're the CHAMPION of 2007..
    Saludos El Indio,saludos muchacos

• maddogrick's Profile Photo

Golfing in Valparaiso

by maddogrick Written Feb 7, 2008

Golfing in Chile is not easy to do. Very few public courses are available to tourists and to get on private courses either requires an invite from a member or an introduction from selected hotels. Most of the best of the 68 golf courses in Chile are in the Santiago area and we didn't bother while there because of the limitations noted earlier. There are a couple of golfing options in the Valparaiso area but neither of them are cheap. The Marbella Golf course ($83.00) is located in Zapallar, a small coastal resort town located about an hours drive north of Valparaiso. Unless you have a car, it's pretty much inaccessible although because it is a resort, you could probably make arrangements to stay there. It's pretty isolated though and I suspect it's basically a retreat for well-to-do Santiagons. I would rate the course about 5 out of 10. A better option is the Club De Campo Granadilla located in Viña del Mar, the adjoining community just north of Valparaiso. Green fees are $100.00 and can be paid by credit card, caddies are required and run about $20.00 + tip in cash. It's very well maintained in every respect, not that long but very tight. The greens are very small by modern standards, not excessively undulating but quite quick on the stimp. No carts are available and there are a few hills to negotiate but if you are reasonably fit, you won't be panting too much! Some of the views from the course and the clubhouse of Valparaiso Bay are outstanding. If you're into the game, this place will test you and I recommend it to the avid player.

Equipment: We took our clubs with us as we always do. I imagine rentals are available but I'd call to be sure.

• Golf

Instant Answers: Valparaíso

Comments

Valparaíso Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Valparaíso sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Valparaíso sightseeing.