Medellín Restaurants

by mircaskirca
    Bon Marché is on the left

Most Recent Restaurants in Medellín

• xaver's Profile Photo

La esquina de Italia: Fake italian

by xaver Written Mar 27, 2014

penne

I wanted to eat some vegetables so I chosed this italian restaurant. Vegetables I got were not fresh but still better than nothing. The pasta with ham was something ridicolous, some penne with parmesan and slices of ham above, I guess it has just the name italian. At least it was not expensive, even if in parque LLeras I paid 13€ drinking water.

• xaver's Profile Photo

Alex Carne de res: Fast & tasty

by xaver Written Mar 27, 2014

dinner

First night in Medellin going around carrera 70 saw a lot of bars, discos, fast food but, apparently no restaurant. I decided to go back to my hotel to ask for info and just in the corner a few steps from the hotel door, I foubd this alex carne de res. I decided to stop and was not disappointed with 10€ I ate a huge steak, fried potatos and one arepa de queso, drinking two beers.

• Beer Tasting

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

La Bistronomia: Have a little vino and chill!

by Skibbe Written Jan 17, 2014

Reasonably priced, good food in a relaxing atmosphere. I was craving wine at this point in my trip and was able to get it here. The tables on the sidewalk are a great place to watch the city. I enjoyed the jazz music that they played there as well.

Sándwich Qbano: Quick Lunch

Sandwich Qbano

This was my first time in fast food restaurant. Believe me, I would never go if it weren't for the certain circumstances. I had about half an hour to spent with Eduardo's nephew so I thought Sandwich Qbano would be a cool place for the 8-year-old. Well, I can't complain about the restaurant itself. It was located by the lively Parque Bolívar and the outside table was a good vantage point for watching the activity in the square. Also the service was friendly. But I've always had doubts about the quality of their food.

Favorite Dish: As the name suggests, their speciality is a great variety of sandwiches. Fortunately, they also have three kinds of salads. Vegetales was the only meatless option so I chose that one. It came with lettuce, pea, carrot, sweet corn, avocado and tomato. The salad was usually served with french dressing but I asked for a piece of lime instead. I had a bottle of cold Pilsen beer with the meal and my little friend just Coca Cola. All together it was 10.800 COP (December 2009).

• Beer Tasting

Las Malvinas Farmers's Market: Most Delicious Arepas de Choclo con Queso

by mircaskirca Updated Mar 30, 2010

preparing arepas de choclo con queso

Arepas are delicious flat breads made of corn which are popular in several countries of northern South America. They can either be filled like a sandwich or just eaten hot with butter. In Colombia arepa has deep roots in colonial farms and the cuisine of the indigenous people. They are usually eaten for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. Arepas are sold throughout Colombia and there are many ways to prepare them.

When I told Natalie that arepas are my favourite Colombian breakfast (and snack) she said I should definitely try arepa de choclo sold at Las Malvinas farmer's market. I really like markets and always try to visit them so one morning I made it to Las Malvinas. The market is huge so I had to ask about the place. Everybody knew it, this little place is very popular. It was interesting to look the woman making the arepas. She sold them so quickly that they were fresh and warm all the time.

Favorite Dish: Arepas de choclo con queso are made with fresh corn which gives them a sweet taste. Crumbled queso fresco (similar to farmer's cheese) adds a salty contrast. I had one and I swear, it was the sweetest and most moist arepa I've ever eaten. Oh, I thought I was in heaven... so delicious... I immediately had another one :) Together with all the fruits I bought at the market it made a perfect lunch I can here only dream about.

Bon Marché: Stylish Panadería in El Poblado

by mircaskirca Updated Mar 30, 2010

Bon March�� is on the left

Bon Marché was founded in 1979 in the city of Pereira. It started as a small bakery and confectionary in the centre of the city. As the production began to expand they started with opening of the new shops in other areas of the city and later also in Armenia and Medellín. Bon Marché specializes in products made with cheese, such as pandebono, pan de yuca (yuca bread) and buñuelos (traditional Colombian Christmas treat but they are popular year round). You can get a variety of breads, from Fench bread to multigrain and integral bread, sweet and sour pastries and a lot more.

I came to Medellín with the night bus from Bogotá. My room was not ready yet so I decided to have a breakfast in panadería Bon Marché which was just around the corner from hostal Tamarindo. I chose the outside table and soon got involved in the conversation with a friendly young couple (and their sweet daughter) from another table. They have a family run publishing house, only a few minutes from there. They invited me to visit but unfortunately I had no time.

Favorite Dish: Nice smell of freshly baked bread was coming from inside and all the products looked really tempting. It was not an easy decision :) I finally made a choice: pandebono, pan de yuca, glass of freshly squeezed orange juice and cappuccino. Thought not the cheapest - 8.700 COP (December 2009) - this made a very delicious breakfast!

L.A. Jugosa

by MalenaN Written Nov 21, 2008

Yummy ice cream with brownie

If you are in El Poblado and want to have a fruit salad, a fresh juice or a yummy ice cream you can go to L.A. Jugosa on Calle 10. It is just up the road from Parque de El Poblado. I had a delicious ice cream with a brownie, whipped cream, nuts and chocolate sauce. It was 6700 pesos.

Restaurante Botero

by MalenaN Updated Oct 4, 2008

Ice cream and Botero statue

Restaurante Botero is situated in the same building as Museo de Antioquia and it has a terrace facing Plazoleta de las Esculturas. It is quite expensive, but the food looks delicious. I had already eaten so I went for something sweet. I had a yummy ice cream with whipped cream, strawberries and biscuits. To drink I had a fresh lemon juice. The cost, including tip and taxes, was 12 5000 pesos (July 2008). Sitting on the terrace you can watch people walking by on the plaza (but that you can do for free from the stairs to the museum).

De Papayita Junín

by MalenaN Written Sep 14, 2008

De Papayita Jun��n

This place is very popular and crowded in the afternoons and I went here several times. They serve fresh fruit juices and yummy fruit salads with ice cream, whipped cream, sauce and much more. There is a menu with many different combinations of fruits and sweets. A fruit salad with ice cream, sauce, cheese and a biscuit was 5300 (July 2008). A strawberry juice in milk was 2600 pesos.

Lunch at Pueblito Paisa

by MalenaN Written Sep 14, 2008

The food

My second day in Medellín I had lunch at a restaurant at Pueblito Paisa (in the house with the red balconies). There is no set menu of the day here but you choose from the menu. I had chicken with potatoes and salad. I got some typical green sauce to put on the chicken but I didn’t like it so much. The fresh lemon juice I had to drink was delicious. The food was not too bad either. The meal was 23 600 pesos plus tip (July 2008).
    Behind and below the typical plaza there are some cheap eateries.

Restaurants by the park

by MalenaN Written Sep 13, 2008

My lunch

On the south side of Parque de Bolívar there are some restaurants with a balcony overlooking the park or Pasaje Junín. I came here on my first afternoon in Medellín and asked for the set menu of the day. First I got the soup and a fresh juice. On the main plate there was beef (you can choose chicken as well), French fries, rice, salad and an egg. It was a good meal and I would have come back here for lunch if I had been in the vicinity at lunch time another day.
    The lunch was 7000 pesos (July 2008).

• swesn's Profile Photo

SALON MALAGA: NOSTALGIC TANGO

by swesn Written Oct 19, 2007

Carlos Gardel, the famous Argentine tango singer, died in a plane crash here in Medellin.

As a result, somehow, as fans mourned his death, tango music took off here, making Medellin a mini-Buenos Aires.

Salon Malaga is an absolutely delightful find. It is lined with jukeboxes and pictures of faded artistes and musicians. The tables and chairs are all old-style. Locals gather here for drinks and the nostalgic melodies of oldies and tangos.

I highly recommend visiting it.

• MrRandMcnally's Profile Photo

Majaviejo: Majaviejo on Las Palmas

by MrRandMcnally Written Dec 28, 2006

I'm not completely sure of the name but that is close. Anyway it is up on Las Palmas accross from the Intercontinental hotel and it had the best Piasa food I had in Medellin. Here you will fill your monthly quota for protiens and startches in just one meal.

• MrRandMcnally's Profile Photo

Mondongo's Resturant: Mondongo's for Real Piasa Food

by MrRandMcnally Written Dec 28, 2006

While there are many places for authentic Antoquenian fare, Mondongo's is really the place to go for your protien and carbohydrate overload. The specialties are the Traditional platter, known ad the Bandeja Piasa. This includes rice, beans, ground beef, an egg, fried plantains, and an Arepa(a cornmeal platter). Also the namesake Mondongo, a soup made of Cows stomach.

We went to the resturant on 70 but there is another in Poblado and I understand one in Miami too.

• scooby_1781's Profile Photo

La Aguacatala: Typical Paisa Cuisine

by scooby_1781 Written Aug 22, 2006

Serving typical Paisa cuisine, this place has been around for 40 years.

We ate outside overlooking a very nice garden.

Not expensive - the check for 5 people was under $50.00

Located on Cra 43 near the Oviedo Mall.

Instant Answers: Medellín

Comments

Medellín Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Medellín restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Medellín sightseeing.